Routable maps - North America

NanCycle

I have a Garmin Montana 600 with Garmin City Navigator North America NT maps installed.  Unfortunately I didn't install all of North America, only the central part of the US, and I no longer have the computer I used to install it.  Last year when I went to the Pacific Northwest, I didn't have routable maps on my GPS, but fortunately I had sufficient cell service to use maps on my phone.  And the GPS still worked when I was near enough to the cache not to need the map anymore.  

This year I'm going to New England and southeastern Canada and don't know if I'll have good cell service everywhere.  

I know there are maps that I can download, but my question is what would be the best map, easy to download and easy to use.  Free is preferable, but I don't mind paying for it, if that's the way to get the best map.

Thank you all for your advice--you haven't let me down yet.

Nancy

Edited by NanCycle
Left out “Montana”

I've been using the maps over at https://garmin.opentopomap.org. The contour lines are a separate layer, but it's the nicest topo map display based on OSM that I've found so far.

There are also a range of OSM maps in different visual styles over at https://extract.bbbike.org. Here you can choose the area that you want to download, though you will be limited by map size whereas opentopomap has North America broken down into large regions.

• Helpful 1
53 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

By the way, if you purchased City Navigator as a download, Garmin should have record of that and allow you to re-download it to re-install on the same GPS device. The option would be available in Garmin Express.

I have it on a DVD from 2013.  Thanks for pointing me to Garmin Express-- it can't hurt to ask them.