River City Geocaching Society???

GeoSharks

That is interesting. I hadn't checked his/her profile before so didn't realize that he/she wasn't logging the finds online. I've seen a fair number of Ranger10 entries in physical log books. I believe they have all been in river park areas.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Now here's a how-do-you-do.

I received an email from a Creston Aldridge suggesting a code response for my Picnic Time cache.

It was the wrong code and when I emailed him back and suggested that the email he sent me didn't give an indication of which cache he was responding to, he sent me a 2nd email and mentioned the Picnic Time cache and asked for a clue.

Gentleman cacher that I am, I gave him a clue which will probably result in a find.

I forgot to ask him what name he used in geocaching and so I sent a 2nd email to him asking his caching name and also posed this question..."You're not Ranger10 are you?"

After I pushed the send button I went to look at the profile on Ranger10 and sure enough, the nospam address is for c....aldridge.

I sent him a 3rd email ... a polite one... and suggested that with the provided clue I was sure he would be able to find the Picnic Time cache and that I hoped he would respect its *innocuous* nature and let it remain.

We'll have to see what happens.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Here is Ranger10's answer to my email to him.

Since it is in an area where you are not supposed to be, it will probably be

gone when I find it. The "no" sign out there means what it says. The only

place you can be is on the road or at the fishing spot. The entry at the

gate is to allow employees to enter to open the gate. People are allowed in

the aforementioned areas only as a courtesy. If it is abused, access can be

denied to everyone not authorized to be in there. Everything beyond the

gate is a protected nature preserve. The rules of cache placement state

that caches are not to be placed where people are not allowed to be. In

Sacramento County, that means nature areas along the American River Parkway,

Cosumnes River Preserve, Regional Sanitation, and anywhere else it says "NO

TRESPASSING" or "AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL/VEHICLES ONLY". Please adhere to

these rules in the future. If you are found where you are not supposed to

be, you can be cited.

Thank you,

Ranger 10

icon_eek.gif Ya know, we were always taught that there's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. Letter of the law is by the book no exceptions. Spirit of the law is to use the book as a guideline and enforce to the meaning of what the law was trying to accomplish. Mr Ranger sounds like a by the book kind of guy.

I wonder what he thinks of caching at night along the American River Parkway after the parks are closed. I'll probably be there this week and/or next week. I don't think he works nights, but we'll see.

Life's a journey, not a destination.

If it were up to me, I might write Mr. Ranger10 a gentle email suggestion that if any more caches were to disappear, he might discover that a complaint to his employer about his inappropriate logs in caches could easily result in sexual harrassment charges against him.

I mean, if he's going to be picky about the letter of the law, then sauce for the goose is certainly sauce for the gander, isn't it?

Just a thought.

Somewhere along the line I missed the info on Ranger10 in which someone indicated he was leaving inappropriate notes in caches he looked at.

Will someone who is aware of the contents of these notes please email me with details? Thanks. I would maintain the confidentiality of such an email.

Also, it may be a good idea to take some photos of those log entries before the caches are revisited and the notes might be destroyed.

Ron

I just received this email from Ranger10.

Hey Ron,

How about code ????? IT"S GONE NOW!! No more caches where they don't

belong!

Ranger10

I responded that he must be proud, but not as proud as I was of the cache he COULDN'T FIND without extracting a clue from me under false pretenses.

I further indicated to him that I thought he had some *issues* which didn't totally revolve around *doing the right thing*.

I will be disabling the cache and will replace it in a different location.

Say Ranger10, I'm sure you're following the thread here...could you explain to all of us who hike that trail and to some who fish that lake what we hikers/fisherpersons should do if we have to answer the call of nature? As I recall there are no toilet facilities there.

This would seem to be a good thing for rangers such as yourself to lobby for. Any thoughts ranger10?

Ron

Wow...that guy is quite the case! Since he is so hellbent on finding these caches, why don't you Sacto peoples hide some special ones just for him?? icon_wink.gif I know you are a creative bunch, and I am sure you could hide some caches that would most likely make him not want to look for any more.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

What part of Colorado are you traveling to? I have a pretty cool virtual in Parachute, which is somewhere between Denver and Grand Junction. I placed it while we were on our way home from Missouri last year, and it has had lots of visitors.

I say "Somewhere between Denver and Grand Junction" because I lost track of where we were after that many miles!!

Have a fun/safe trip.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

Does anyone know who "pika123" is?? My husband and I both received an odd email regarding a Sacramento cache from this person, but we couldn't find their profile on the site.

Jaimee

From time to time over the last couple of years I have received e-mails from a cacher calling her/himself Pika, usually with questions about locating one or another cache. At a Summer gathering last year Pika proved to be an teenaged young lady, which to me helped to explain the nature of some of the questions.

No idea if your Pika123 is the same person.

MikieP

Re Pika:

Almost two years ago I saw posts from a Pika (something) and felt it was a young person. The cacher then changed the name to Pika(something else) and not a word was heard again.

About two months ago I got an email asking me this question: *What was the number of the bus stop at (certain cache)?*

Of course this was a question that made no sense to me, but remembering the Pika of old, I thought it might be a youngster who had no transport but wanted to ride the bus to the cache site! But a teenage girl?

I doubt we will ever know Pika's complete story.

Ron

Greetings to the North,

Please set August 16th a side for a great day of Geocaching in the Central Valley (Manteca). The CVC Break-Fest has been submitted and should be posted soon.

The fun starts at 10 AM and will just keep getting better. The event will include games, prizes, food (you buy) and who knows what else? JaimeeG and Green Achers know as we're co-hosting this event!

The plotting and planning are already in the works so keep that date available and be prepared to have lots of fun. [Piks's invited too.]

Bill of Green Achers

Some asked questions are already known. Gen. 3:9

I checked Dan Miller's statistics page yesterday and it wouldn't *come up*. Today I did a search for Dan Miller on the forums and found a thread which included this recent entry.

Stat page web host is dead. I sent an e-mail out and here is the response:

Unfortunately, the site has been shut down and the company has gone out of

business. All of our operations will cease completely on 8/15/2003.

Thanks for the interest,

Mike Haboustak

InsideCorner.com, LLC

InsideCorner is where Dan had his stats info stored.

If, for some reason, Dan doesn't get the data up and running somewhere else, maybe it's time for those computer geeks who have given us some other great programs to consider a *mining operation* on Jeremy's database to provide a new view of the statistics.

After all, how will we know which of the bay area cachers hits 2,000 first!? icon_wink.gif

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCrickets:

_Magellan Geocache in Area!!_

For the people that do not know, there is a Magellan Sponsored geocache in your area. As of the 22nd their are 14 Hat coupons left.

Richard of the GeoCrickets

Thanks Richard,

I need a new hat. Maybe we will look for it this weekend.

Alan

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in one of the NorCal regional threads about finding archived and abandoned caches, and retrieving the containers for re-use elsewhere. Since then I have been keeping a list of those I've run across on the website that look abandoned. I've created a repository here.

I'm sure some of you will be able to quickly suggest additions or changes to the list.

Hemlock - Cleaning up the world, one cache box at a time.

In case some of you are using HTML in your cache pages, and don't know this...it seems to be phasing out. Sound no longer works. Pictures are disappearing off of pages leaving those little 'x' boxes. HTML links are not available. Drop down boxes, etc don't appear. Annie and my CSI Sacramento cache is totally unusable until I remember the web address I put in there. That link has totally disappeared out of the text. If you use HTML, check your pages. icon_confused.gif

It's actually not that bad. There was a temporary problem with images and links, but the problems have been fixed. Any pages that were edited in the last few days may have lost their images and/or links, but if you put them back they should be fine.

Sound (via the Embed tag) and Javascript are another story. They have been disabled because they were a security hole. It was possible for someone to embed malicious code on their cache page using either method. They have been disabled before someone got hurt.

Hemlock

quote:
Originally posted by Hemlock:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in one of the NorCal regional threads about finding archived and abandoned caches, and retrieving the containers for re-use elsewhere. Since then I have been keeping a list of those I've run across on the website that look abandoned. I've created a repository http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGY4A.

I'm sure some of you will be able to quickly suggest additions or changes to the list.

Hemlock - Cleaning up the world, one cache box at a time.

I love this feature, but one question. What area does this cover when I download the GPX file? Are other approvers doing the same thing (SoCal Admin comes to mind), or is this just a list of caches that you have had contact with?

Thanks for the nice compendium of orphans.

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

What area does this cover when I download the GPX file? Are other approvers doing the same thing (SoCal Admin comes to mind), or is this just a list of caches that you have had contact with?

My list only includes northern California (hence the name of the cache), since that is the only area I work on. When I set this up, I pointed it out to the other reviewers, and in coming weeks you may start seeing similar lists for other areas.

Hemlock

quote:
Originally posted by Hemlock:

My list only includes northern California (hence the name of the cache), since that is the only area I work on. When I set this up, I pointed it out to the other reviewers, and in coming weeks you may start seeing similar lists for other areas.

Hemlock

OK, I guess I had that one coming. To clarify my question, how far south does your "jurisdiction" come? If I'm in the Central Coast area, should I bother downloading the list, or should I be looking for SoCal's list to come out later, since SoCal has been approving a few more of my caches than you have?

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

A cacher's Profile Page has changed again and looks more like it's former self. Anyone who has a photo displayed there can now see the photo in larger (original) format instead of the smaller format (on the left) of recent history.

The statistics tab now includes TOTALS.

The biggest addition is the gallery page. At first I couldn't understand the value of this, but as I flipped through 6 pages it DID take me back in time to those caches I found and to which I attached pictures. Kind of fun.

Ron

Looks like we have a bunch of new cachers in Sac. They've been busy.

Good to see some new caches in the south area. I've found a few and they are creative.

The Sacramento forums have been quiet lately. :huh:

Mail lists are great for the group, but they don't do much for encouraging the new folks to join in with questions and discussion.