River City Geocaching Society???

GeoSharks

...did you know that when 10 of you come to Stockton and find 17 caches (mostly mine I think) that my email mail-carrier practically has a heart attack carrying all those messages?

Of course I love answering them and having my caches found by all you folks. I think I own Sac a visit !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Hi all. I'm gonna be coming out for another visit this summer to your area and would like to get a chance to meet some other geocachers while I'm there. My schedule's pretty booked allready, but I think it would be fun to get together for Pizza one night. I know it's away's in the future but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anybody's interested. It would have to be the evening of the 24th, 25th, or 26th of June.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hello all you Sacto kinda folks!

I just wanted to let you know that we are having a dinner get-together at the Olive Garden in Modesto on March 1 at 5 p.m. I know it's a few miles to drive, but you could make a day of it with some caching as well!

Jaimee

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

We just might accept both of them. I know from looking at the CVC thread that you will need some sort of headcount at some time for the dinner - when?

And I do need to let you know that to the best of my knowledge any of us who come down will stay fully dressed at all times - sorry. icon_wink.gif

I am going to make a reservation on February 15th, so I need a head count by then. I am going to reserve a few extra seats just in case others decide to show at the last minute.

I have one thing to say on the clothing part: DANG!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

From the looks of it, more than one person from this area has been doing the "clothing optional" caches! While visiting Ron's "Stumpy" in Stockton today, I ran across a plastic bag nearby. Curiousty got the best of me, so I gingerly peeked inside with the aid of a stick. WOW!! icon_eek.gif Not at all what I expected to find. I told my husband of my discovery, and I then discovered the little note attached.

TOOOOOOO dang funny! I then read back through the logs and everything made sense.

Thanks for the laugh!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

My son and his friend joined me caching out in the rock piles near the lake today. Man.. is that a bunch of rocks??!!! Give the gps's to a couple of teenage boys and let them go. They found all six today. I didn't have a chance, but I did have a great time with them. This is a fun hobby to share with others. just rambling....

Ron ...

It is gone! That was a great cache, and I can think of no good reason for anyone taking it. But then I can't thinl of a reason for anyone taking any cache - if there is a problem with a placement there is a way to contact the owner spelled out in the Geocache notice we all include.

On another note, some of us were talking about coming down to the CVC Olive Garden gathering, but I see in the CVC forom that it may be off. Any new news?

....at least one Society cacher has expressed an interest in my Patti's Point cache and I have just placed another cache in the same area.

For info on these caches, start here...at Where's That Valet#4 and use the links at the bottom of each of five cache pages to see the other descriptions and trail distances to each cache.

Enjoy !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by GeoSharks:

quote:
Originally posted by KimBeattie (Kimbo):

The next RCGDS Pizza Night is February 8th (this Saturday).

We had a great time at the Pizza Bache.

I loaded a few photos in the gallery.

Man, we were in town but didn't know this event was going on. Sorry we missed it. We did have two days of heavy duty caching! Thanks for all the great caches! (Still have to enter all the finds/DNFs for today.)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by wetpaws:

I was sorry I missed the Pizza Bash last night, but I was just checking on the finds our Central Valley neighbors found up here....sorry they think our caches are too easy. However, I did not see any attempts for Sacramento Survivor icon_smile.gif

I'd love to hear about that one! icon_razz.gif

That one is on my list of to-do caches once I have more time to spend up in Sacto. I only did quickies Saturday because the early part of my day was spent at the quilt show in Folsom. I wasn't dressed in caching attire at the time and didn't want to get dirty! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Hey all you Sacto-type peoples!

I submitted this to the RCGDS site but also wanted to post here in case someone missed it.

Just wanted to let you know that I would like to put together a joint event with the CVC and Sacramento groups. McIrish and I have shared some brief emails about this, but nothing has been really planned yet.

I was thinking of doing something in mid-April possibly and holding it at a halfway point...maybe Lodi..?

My ideas include some team events pitting the CVC against the RCGDS and also some individual games as well.

If anyone has any input or would like to help with the planning/execution of this, please email me!

Have a good day all!

Jaimee

Seven members of the RCGDS had a great time in Vacaville today. I never realized this was such an interesting town.

I would like to thank the Team Moehrke family for spending the day with us today. You are great guides and hosts. I'm sure we couldn't have gotten 23 finds without you.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...who don't read the CVC forum.

Ron

Thanks Ron. Nice article.

There are some facts there I never would have guessed, like the age! icon_wink.gif

Many of the RCGDS people don't read forums, so I posted the link on the RCGDS mail list.

Alan

....no, not 18 wheel drivers, but cachers who don't mind a long hike for a handful of finds.

My two new caches near Patti's Point are approved now. If you're interested, start here at Gale Ridge and follow the drop-down box link at the bottom to the new Stargate cache and finally to Patti's Point.

This trail provides seven caches in a 9.5 mile hike (one way). It takes the better part of a day to do the entire length (and back), but if the weather is good, the scenery is fantastic in spots and right now the wildflowers are in bloom, particularly from the Kiln forward to Patti's Point. This is not a trail to hike in the dead of summer !

Ron

Where'd they go???

The last few posts to this thread seem to have vanished - regarding our next Pizza Night on April 12, three posts from Ron Streeter about various topics, and who knows what else.

Well, here's a bump to get us up closer to the top so we can catch up with the missing info.

MP

Test message. Checking out new avatar graphic...

Which didn't appear! What's the trick? I uploaded the graphic. Where is it? Yes, it is a .jpg file...

[This message was edited by KimBeattie (Kimbo) on April 02, 2003 at 05:59 AM.]

RCGDS UPDATE

Members of the River City Geocaching (and Dining) Society visited the area generally South of our home turf, Sacramento, this past weekend. GeoSharks scouted the area on Saturday, and a larger band found twenty-three of the twenty-four caches they attempted on Sunday.

Future events include:

• An organized cleanup as a Cache In/Trash Out activityhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=61602 ,and,

Our monthly Pizza gatheringhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59480

All are invited to both events.

MikieP

For those of you who mourn the loss of the icon which allows you to see a cacher's geocaching.com profile (not the forum profile) try this:

Click on the forum poster's name above the picture on the left side of the post.

When the drop down box comes up, click on *see posts by this cacher* (or words to that effect).

When a list of forum posts comes up, click on the person's name on the right side of the page.

This brings up the forum poster's *real* profile. Not as convenient as the old one step icon approach, but it works and is especially useful for cachers who are unknown to you.

Enjoy!

Ron

FOOD, FOOD, AND MORE FOOD!!

The next gathering of the River City Geocaching and Dining Society will be held on Saturday, May 10, at the Plaza Hof Brau in Sacramento. Look for a cache page in a week or so, but make your plans now!

The Plaza Hof Brau is located at 2500 Watt Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95821, and all Geocachers looking for good food and lively conversation are invited!

MikieP

Sacto cachers, thanks for the hospitality of your cache placements. Yesterday, vdbalamo, jimswim, and bthomas cached through from Old Sac to Rancho Cordova to I-80. We found 74 geocaches; also a few additional locationlesses. It was a wet day, but the American River was particularly pretty. We even saw a tom turkey doing the full feather display from 60 ft away. Thanks for the adventure!

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=49260631&r=10760435#10760435

Whoa, the cache police make good on a threat!

I got this email from geocaching.com explaining why my A Day At The Beach was archived! The email contents came from the sacparks people and include a mention of someone else's cache.

A Day at the Beach is GCED56. We Also removed Hanging Tree (GC587A) because

the fishing ling used to hang it was a danger to flying wildlife. On the

American River Parkway, you are not allowed to tie things to trees, rocks,

logs, etc., nor are you allowed to dig holes, cut branches or trees or

bushes. You are also not allowed to place anything in the Nature Areas.

Please let your people know about the rules, or they will lose their caches.

If anyone has any questions about what they can and can't do, they can call

916-875-6672 any day between 7:30AM and 8:30 PM for now. In May, The hours

will change to 10:30PM. Also, for future reference, anyone caught in the

Parks after closing, as well as not observing any of the other violations,

can be cited. Thank you for your cooperation.

Two things are interesting here: one, those birds should look out for trees when they are flying around, let along a thin fishing line!

two, I guess my Picnic Time is still safe...*THEY* can't find it...but two Sac cachers just did !

Ron

icon_frown.gif

I'm totally bummed the park police complained about those two caches. They were very clever and I can't believe the cache's did that much damage. I'm glad they didn't find any of the others. I'm still looking for some in the parks!

Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel could be you.

quote:

The entertainment for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=60763&Nocache=0.7055475 is still ready to go! There was no one there but me on Sunday the 11th between 7 and 8 pm.

The other entertainment on that road has been removed.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Don't know if you've been following the threads for the RCGDS...but the park Ranger who has taken it upon himself to be the cache police has become a member. We'll see if he can find Picnic Time. icon_frown.gif

Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel could be you.

quote:

Welcome to Ranger10 to the world of geocaching!

Yeah, I had noticed a lot of logs by Ranger10 when we were caching there last weekend. Most of the (physical) log entries mentioned wanting to catch NightKnight in the park after hours. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

Welcome to Ranger10 to the world of geocaching!

Yeah, I had noticed a lot of logs by Ranger10 when we were caching there last weekend. Most of the (physical) log entries mentioned wanting to catch NightKnight in the park after hours. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

LOL! I'd love to meet up with him, but I don't think he hangs around the trails at night. Too many wild critters around...and me. I wonder why he doesn't log his finds on the geocaching web site? His profile shows no finds.

Life's a journey, not a destination.