Geofencing doesn't work

mrsandman

3 hours ago, mrsandman said:

Created the adventure lab: https://adventurelab.page.link/kEaZ

The entry for the geofencing distance is 40, but you can answer without being there for the first four locations. Everything works fine at the last location. Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks,

mrsandman (Nino)

If you have already been to the location in the past, then the geo-fence becomes disabled -- the app remembers that you have already been to the site. It is a convenience feature for those with no cellular data and for jumpy GPS connections.

On my device, for example, all sites are geo-fence locked.

Edited by Hügh
3 hours ago, mrsandman said:

Created the adventure lab: https://adventurelab.page.link/kEaZ

The entry for the geofencing distance is 40, but you can answer without being there for the first four locations. Everything works fine at the last location. Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks,

mrsandman (Nino)

Also geofencing is disabled for testing mode. Are you testing it in this mode?

6 hours ago, mrsandman said:

You can give the answers, even if you have never been there. You can check this, when you open the lab cache.

No, the locations are locked, as I have never been near the locations. See:

Screenshot_20220205-103025.thumb.jpg.c8e264d707cc9ca34bff1722c31a2a3c.jpgScreenshot_20220205-103034.thumb.jpg.ecca5d263e7ad6e9573eb228bf80e68d.jpgScreenshot_20220205-103040.thumb.jpg.f2e04a1879ab31bf7a4a477570e792b1.jpgScreenshot_20220205-103044.thumb.jpg.83975c53039872e3794dc35592e24fec.jpgScreenshot_20220205-103050.thumb.jpg.6dd4c39a9c693dcf1ef9c1a0c394af86.jpg

Remember: if you have ever taken your phone within the geo-fence, and pressed the "Answer" button (even if it was six months ago) the location is permanently unlocked/answerable for you and you only. Your phone remembers that you have been to the location and allows you to answer.

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 3

Sorry, I've a similiar problem:
My wife built a lab and I tested it during construction time with my account on my smartphone. We both never tested on of the station at the real location, but I my app told me always "You have unlocked the challenge".

Even if I use the accout of ma son (who does no longer cache since years!), my phone gives the same answer!

Is it the app, that remembers the location or my account?

This feature might be very nice for cachers that wants to log the cache, but it is very stupid for the owner during test phase. It should be possible to reset this feature somehow.
How can I test, whether my own lab works as expected?

• Funny 1

Yes, it is okay in testing mode, but not in the normal mode. Because in this way, I'm not able to see, what other people would see.

A second problem is in my opinion, that a Lab in it's building phase starts not in testing mode, but from scratch with its final address code, even if I decided to show it only "private".

Due to this, I tested the various stages with our second account and by doing this I placed the official FTF to the Lab, what was not my intention.
Meanwhile I know, that I should have done my test answers only under the "test mode address", but that doesn't help me with my done false logs!
I would prefer that a Lab is at the beginning automatically in a testing mode, where test entries will not be registered unless I officially publish it - in the same manner as I publish a normal cache.

2 hours ago, GreenDragonII said:

I would prefer that a Lab is at the beginning automatically in a testing mode, where test entries will not be registered unless I officially publish it - in the same manner as I publish a normal cache.

As you've already figured out, Private mode is very different than Testing mode, and will give you credit for the locations. This is why Testing mode is available, with no geofencing.

2 hours ago, GreenDragonII said:

Due to this, I tested the various stages with our second account and by doing this I placed the official FTF to the Lab, what was not my intention.

Someone can still claim "FTC" First to Complete when the AL goes public. Actually everyone can, but that's not what I mean. :D

It's been discussed many times in the forums, but I'll state it again for anyone new reading this forum thread: Test the AL in TESTING mode. Otherwise you'll post on the forums asking why you got FINDS for testing an AL. I'll save you the trouble! You can delete your AL finds on Geocaching.com, but not on the AL app.