Change phone number for notifications

Bicardi151

I don't recall ever having supplied a phone number. And for notifications? Did you use to get a text message as notification? I would love that, since I don't have email on my phone, but when I went premium email was the only option. Maybe this is something that changed since you joined?

Getting mails forwarded as an SMS sounds like an function from your e-mail provider. 

So I suggest that you look in the settings in your mail provider for that.

I'm curious where in the settings on geocaching.com you where able to add an phone number?

I did found this tread about the subject:

And this in the help center:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=184

I tested sending myself an email to a text on my phone from Yahoo and it worked. I then set up mynumber@mobilecarriername.com as spelled out in the help center. I did this under email preferences in my profile. However, it now says 'verify this address'.  I have clicked that link and received a text message from geocaching.com.  I clicked the link in the text to validate it but it does not validate. It just returns to 'verify this address'.  Since I can't get my number validated it is not available as a choice in the email selection when setting up a notification.  Has anyone been able to set this up recently? 

Interesting. Unfortunately, no carriers in Scandinavia (where I reside) offer this service nowadays. Makes sense I guess, as everyone (but me) can receive email directly to their phones now. There are third-party services, but those are not free of charge.

I'm a bit curious still of how this could actually work, if I look at a typical notification message it is full of html rubbish and even the actual message stripped of all tags is much more that 160 characters. Is it received as multiple text messages?

51 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

I'm a bit curious still of how this could actually work, if I look at a typical notification message it is full of html rubbish and even the actual message stripped of all tags is much more that 160 characters. Is it received as multiple text messages?

One way is using multimedia messaging service MMS.  "The MMS standard extends the core SMS (Short Message Service) capability, allowing the exchange of text messages greater than 160 characters in length."

35 minutes ago, arisoft said:

One way is using multimedia messaging service MMS.  "The MMS standard extends the core SMS (Short Message Service) capability, allowing the exchange of text messages greater than 160 characters in length."

Yes, but since the OP referred to "email-to-SMS" I just assumed it was standard SMS service that was used. Also I've seen in a description of one such service (probably from a US carrier) that it sent the first 160 characters of the email as an SMS.