Relocating a cache?

AsphaltCowGurl

I had 5 caches that I disabled, removed and since been archived, over the past 9-10 months. We relocated out of state for work and I wanted to know, is it possible to bring these caches out of the archives and activate them again? Or do I have to start over? If I have to start over, can I use the same cache names, etc? Thanks in advance.

• Funny 1

I think once archived, especially that long,  new caches are needed. I think you can reuse the name - or state cache name #2 . Be sure there have no other caches placed near those, that you can check with the reviewer when sertting up new caches. Good luck.

I just looked at your profile, indeed new caches area in order. The name can be the same, the coordinates and cache number will of course be different. Nothing wrong with reusing old cache containers.

Edited by Jayeffel
4 hours ago, AsphaltCowGurl said:

I had 5 caches that I disabled, removed and since been archived, over the past 9-10 months. We relocated out of state for work and I wanted to know, is it possible to bring these caches out of the archives and activate them again? Or do I have to start over? If I have to start over, can I use the same cache names, etc? Thanks in advance.

The cache isn't just the container. If a previous finder views the listing, then it should remind them of the cache they found earlier. If the owner makes significant changes to the cache (and moving the location to a different state would almost certainly count), then it's time to create a new listing, even if you're reusing a container from an archived cache near your previous home.

• Helpful 1

As a Reviewer, let me thank you for doing the right thing by collecting and archiving your Georgia caches before you moved to Florida.  Too often, cache owners just move away, leaving their caches in place.  The Reviewer then needs to do the online cleanup.  The situation that baffles me the most is when someone has a cache in their front yard, moves away, but doesn't archive the cache.  A few times each year, I process a "Needs Archived" from a geocacher who had an interaction with the new homeowner.  I get not having time to hike a five mile cache trail when you're busy moving, but forgetting the cache next to your front porch? :lostsignal:

You should set up brand new cache pages in your new home area.  They can have the same name and container, but should have a fresh logbook.  In addition to the reasons given above, a good reason not to unarchive the existing caches is that the statistics of all the Georgia finders will be thrown off.  ("I've never found a cache in Florida, why do my stats say that I did?")

• Helpful 4
  • Love 1