HTML target attribute broken

arisoft

On 2/3/2022 at 11:56 PM, Mars Express said:

please share this script!

It’s on greasyfork.

It currently doesn’t do anything with the old shortdescription and related website portions of the cache page. I’m currently on a skiing trip so no support from me until the end of next week, but feel free to modify it as you see fit.

Edited by mustakorppi
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Are there changes afoot?   I've seen this checkbox option a few times, but not every time, and it doesn't seem to stop the popups :-

This checkbox comes from your browser which is trying to mitigate these extra popups. If you don't allow these popups you can not use these links at all. The checkbox is not visible with the first popup.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, arisoft said:

This checkbox comes from your browser which is trying to mitigate these extra popups. If you don't allow these popups you can not use these links at all. The checkbox is not visible with the first popup.

If that's the case, does it mean if someone ticks that checkbox when trying to access, say, a checker, their browser will block all future links to that checker? That doesn't sound like a very good outcome to me.

6 hours ago, arisoft said:

If you don't allow these popups you can not use these links at all.

That's not the case. Having opened a cache page and clicked on the Geochecker link, and checking this box, if I then  go back to the cache page and click on the Geochecker link again I still get the annoying popup and it still opens Geochecker.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:35 AM, MartyBartfast said:

That's not the case. Having opened a cache page and clicked on the Geochecker link, and checking this box, if I then  go back to the cache page and click on the Geochecker link again I still get the annoying popup and it still opens Geochecker.

I tested my theory and links stopped working as I suggested. The result is not permanent. Closing the tab and opening the same page again enabled the popup.

Edited by arisoft
3 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I wanted to close the loop about updates to this experience that are planned in the near future in an effort to solve some of the pain points raised in this thread:

• Remove the “Hey wait!” from the browser warning copy.
  • Don’t show this warning for approved links like geocaching sub-domains, API partners, and approved image upload domains
  • Implement a "Don't show again for this link." button in the browser warning that when clicking will no longer show the warning for that particular link.

I will update again when these have been implemented.

Thank you, that's great news!

On 2/8/2022 at 6:27 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I wanted to close the loop about updates to this experience that are planned in the near future in an effort to solve some of the pain points raised in this thread:

• Don’t show this warning for approved links like geocaching sub-domains, API partners, and approved image upload domains
  • Implement a "Don't show again for this link." button in the browser warning that when clicking will no longer show the warning for that particular link.

Don't show again .......... for that particular link?

Links to external coordinate checkers for example will be different for each cache listing. So I still will get these popups for every new cache listing when I click on the checker in that listing? Normally, for each individual cache listing, I only click once on a checker link....

• Helpful 1
42 minutes ago, M.B.E.S. said:

Links to external coordinate checkers for example will be different for each cache listing. So I still will get these popups for every new cache listing when I click on the checker in that listing? Normally, for each individual cache listing, I only click once on a checker link....

Good catch.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."

- Dick The Butcher (Henry VI, Part 2, Act IV, Scene 2)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, M.B.E.S. said:

Don't show again .......... for that particular link?

Most coordinate checkers are API partners I think?

This is still a terrible idea as a matter of principle, but now the single largest category of caches targeted will be jigidi puzzles so there’s my silver lining.

• Funny 1

Bl4ckH4wkGER: I'll just remind from another topic:

On 2/8/2022 at 6:27 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Implement a "Don't show again for this link." button in the browser warning that when clicking will no longer show the warning for that particular link.

I'm not sure if it's necessary. Several people (as we can see in this topic) already have ALL Geocaching.com pop-ups blocked by the browser. I still think the best solution would be in Settings:
I understand that links entered by users may point outside of Geocaching.com. Do not display these pop-ups.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Geo- and challenge checker links, for the vast majority, are API partners. So you will not see the warning except for a few non-API partner exceptions.

While I appreciate the continued concern and suggestions, the action items mentioned in my post above are the compromises that our Legal department agreed to. They were specifically against the blanket "don't show me any warnings". So the above is what is going to happen. You can stop twisting my arm ;) 

• Funny 1
On 2/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, mustakorppi said:

It’s on greasyfork.

It currently doesn’t do anything with the old shortdescription and related website portions of the cache page. I’m currently on a skiing trip so no support from me until the end of next week, but feel free to modify it as you see fit.

Thank you! It works perfectly!

I tried writing my own by removing the listener but couldn't work out where it was being attached. Your way of just ignoring the propagation is wonderfully elegant.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Any update on this? I see that the ”hey wait” has been removed, but links to coordinate checkers still generate an alert.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:27 AM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Three months have now passed, yet all that's happened is the "Hey wait!" has been removed from the warning text. The warning still appears on geocaching sub-domains, API parters and approved upload domains, and there's still no "Don't show again" button.

Is this still in the pipeline?

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 2

On 5/7/2022 at 9:15 PM, barefootjeff said:

Three months have now passed, yet all that's happened is the "Hey wait!" has been removed from the warning text. The warning still appears on geocaching sub-domains, API parters and approved upload domains, and there's still no "Don't show again" button.

This behavior is par for the course.  It may get fixed in a year or two. 

I have tampermonkey that works.

• Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, fizzymagic said:

This behavior is par for the course.  It may get fixed in a year or two. 

I have tampermonkey that works.

I have a multi (GC9M6X5) that relies on an embedded link to an image hosted on geocaching.com, which was published a week before this warning pop-up was introduced. It's had just one find since then, and that by one of my friends who's unlikely to be daunted by such warnings. I don't know for sure if it's that warning about external content that's putting people off, or whether it's just a crappy cache, but if the pop-up's now going to be a permanent feature on links to images hosted on the site, it's probably time to start thinking about cutting my losses on it and letting the amazing location go back to being an empty space on the map.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

I have a multi (GC9M6X5) that relies on an embedded link to an image hosted on geocaching.com, which was published a week before this warning pop-up was introduced. It's had just one find since then, and that by one of my friends who's unlikely to be daunted by such warnings. I don't know for sure if it's that warning about external content that's putting people off, or whether it's just a crappy cache, but if the pop-up's now going to be a permanent feature on links to images hosted on the site, it's probably time to start thinking about cutting my losses on it and letting the amazing location go back to being an empty space on the map.

:sad:

On 5/7/2022 at 9:15 PM, barefootjeff said:

They are currently item #6 & #7 in the sustainment work pipeline.

• 6 is the allowed-list of various domains
  • 7 is the "don't show again for this link"

Items in this pipeline are taken on along with and between roadmap work as resources allow.

4 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Items in this pipeline are taken on along with and between roadmap work as resources allow.

Thanks, I guess it'll be a much longer wait then.

• Helpful 1
On 5/11/2022 at 3:14 AM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I see the pop-up is now gone from pages in the allowed list of domains, including Project-GC challenge checkers and images hosted on geocaching.com. Thanks!!!

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I see the pop-up is now gone from pages in the allowed list of domains, including Project-GC challenge checkers and images hosted on geocaching.com. Thanks!!!

But not from coordinate checkers? I just tried geocheck.org and certitudes.org, both of them produced pop-ups.

• Helpful 1

All issues raised in this thread have now been resolved:

• The warning copy was updated
  • The warning no longer applies to internal pages and API partner links
  • Players have the option to indicate that they don't wish to be warned for a particular link in the future (note that this requires a cookie which is good for 30 days).

Thank you for your patience while we were working on these items.

• Helpful 3
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:
  • Don’t show this warning for approved links like geocaching sub-domains

I would like to report two regressions:

• ”Hey wait!” is back
  • Links like https://adventurelab.page.link/6RBX show the warning even though these links are generated by the Adventure Lab app itself, and the links lead to a geocaching.com sub-domain (or open the Adventure Lab app on mobile devices).
Edited by mustakorppi
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 12/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, mustakorppi said:

I would like to report two regressions:

• ”Hey wait!” is back
  • Links like https://adventurelab.page.link/6RBX show the warning even though these links are generated by the Adventure Lab app itself, and the links lead to a geocaching.com sub-domain (or open the Adventure Lab app on mobile devices).

Documented and passed on to the Engineers, thanks :) 

Maybe somethings got lost in translation, as English is not my first language, but I definitely had the expression that most of the issues raised in the original post were fixed?!

Nonetheless does it seem to me, that  very few of the issues are fixed?! From my point of view it's only the "Hey wait" that's been removed from the popup.

I still get warnings when using checkers and, - and this is the most annoying for me - the target="_blank" is (still) ignored :(