Setting caches too close to existing multi’s

Tamsworld

Hello!

I’ve set a couple of caches locally and they have been refused because they are too close to the final stages of multi caches.

I stick to traditionals and so am not familiar with multi’s. But my query is….

When I set the cache I look at the map to see what other are close, but with a multi I can’t see the locations of all the stages. So how do I know whether it’s too close, without actually solving the multi myself?

I don’t have the time to do multi’s and they aren’t really my thing, but I also don’t want to keep placing caches and then having them refused because they overlap a stage of a multi and then I have to retrieve it and replace it elsewhere.

What can I do to avoid this please? Is there a way to see the location of all the multi’s locally?

Help?! 

Many thanks in advance,

Tamsworld

• Funny 1
3 hours ago, Tamsworld said:

So how do I know whether it’s too close, without actually solving the multi myself?

You can ask your reviewer a rough distance and direction to shift that would be adequate. Otherwise, the answer is, solve the multi, or pick another spot.

3 hours ago, Tamsworld said:

Is there a way to see the location of all the multi’s locally?

Become a reviewer, or solve all the multis.

4 hours ago, Tamsworld said:

Is there a way to see the location of all the multi’s locally?

That would defeat the purpose of a multi that someone set up if everyone can see where the final is. Do you remember the multi cache you did in 2018? Well if you could see the final location you could have skipped all the work. 

The help center tells you how to do a coordinate check where the reviewer will let you know if the location is available.

Same thing with puzzle caches until you solve them you won't know where all the final locations are. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

From the Help Centre:

Ask a reviewer to check coordinates

If you’re still unsure if your location is available, ask a local reviewer to confirm.

Tip: It’s a good idea to do this before you place your geocache.

1. Create a cache page with a title like "Coordinate Check".
  2. Add locations as waypoints if you'd like the reviewer to check more than one location. This is similar to adding stages for a Multi-Cache.
  3. Add a Reviewer Note to make sure that the reviewer does not publish the cache page. For example, “Do not publish, this is a coordinate check."
  4. Submit your cache page for review and wait for your reviewer to reply.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I had this happen to me before and it helped me find an unsolvable multi (the plaque at the first stage had disappeared). Eventually, the multi was archived and I could place my cache which was about 10 meters away from the multi final.

I do get annoyed when people set 10 stage multis all with physical locations in busy areas making them a dead zone for everyone else. 

• Upvote 1

Follow the procedure in barefootjeff's post. I do a co-ordinate check for every cache I want to place after obtaining accurate coordinates and before doing anything else. It's very frustrating when you create that spectacular looking cache page followed by that special cache container, that will only fit in one place, only to find your GZ is blocked by a physical stage/final of a multi or mystery cache.

A co-ordinate check by your local Reviewer will avoid disappointment. 👍

Edited by Calypso62
7 hours ago, Calypso62 said:

only to find your GZ is blocked by a physical stage/final of a multi or mystery cache.

FWIW, I recall volunteer reviewers stating that most of the time, the cache that is too close is a traditional cache, not a physical stage of a multi-cache, mystery/puzzle cache, LBH cache, etc.