The Traveling Trader Cache

OldGregg32

I have an idea for a cache, where when you find it, you rehide it somewhere else, and then send me the new coordinates and I'll change them. But I don't know if something like this already exists, if there is a limit on how many times you can change the coordinates on a cache, and if there are any other things that would not work. If someone could give me some information on this, that would be great!

• Funny 3
9 hours ago, OldGregg32 said:

I have an idea for a cache, where when you find it, you rehide it somewhere else, and then send me the new coordinates and I'll change them. But I don't know if something like this already exists, if there is a limit on how many times you can change the coordinates on a cache, and if there are any other things that would not work. If someone could give me some information on this, that would be great!

How would you be sure that each time you change the coordinates on a cache they don't conflict with a different cache, and be too close for the 528 ft distance requirement?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

PLUS, a cache is more than just a container.

If I find "Joe's Travelling Cache' when it was over HERE up in a tree, then when it gets moved to over THERE under a rock, I can't find it again.

But, it's an entirely different experience, so it's an entirely different cache.

The OP was wondering about 'moving' coordinates for a hide, but that's not intended for this purpose; that's to fix a problem.

18 hours ago, OldGregg32 said:

Some of the original traveling caches were made into Trackable items when traveling caches were archived.  You can attach a TB or Geocoin to a container as big as you like, and basically it's this idea.  But prepare for a bunch of the issues that caused traveling caches to go away.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, OldGregg32 said:

I have an idea for a cache, where when you find it, you rehide it somewhere else, and then send me the new coordinates and I'll change them.

But I don't know if something like this already exists, if there is a limit on how many times you can change the coordinates on a cache, and if there are any other things that would not work. If someone could give me some information on this, that would be great!

Curious, did you read the guidelines before placing your caches?   :)

Years ago, when we had an "intro" app we'd lose ammo cans, when newbs thought they were supposed to be moved and rehidden.

Luckily, since they were completely clueless about the hobby, others found most of our ammo cans laying alongside trails.   :D

The only thing you can't change is a cache's type...  

If muggled, or something presents an issue, you can move your hide up to 500+ feet on your own. Further requires a Reviewer.

Of course entering the new coordinates to the cache is needed afterwards. Someone will probably report you if done repeatedly...

• Upvote 1

Yes, I have read the guidelines. I have not placed, and do not intend to place, any caches that I want to move, I was just curious if there was any possibility of making something like this. This is exactly the information I was looking for, and I'm kind of new to geocaching, so I didn't know that there used to be traveling caches. Thanks for all the answers!😄

I was about to suggest that you could create an unknown or letterbox hybrid with an final container that always is at the same coordinates, and an small container with the coordinates that are moved around and the last person that moved it publish the coordinates in an log.

But this will probably the refused as it's physical object and those must be 161 meters from other physical objects.

I know that there a re a few unknown in Sweden that uses an homepage where the data can be changed so that an new location and password is created by every visitor.

Something like that might work.

• Surprised 1

I remember a traveling cache that started out in Genesee County (Flint, MI) back in 2003.  I found it 12 times.  The last time was in 2016.

It was ABC's, GCCD54.  The first hider placed it at a location that started with the letter 'A'.  Next finder moved it to a letter 'B' location, and so on.  

I loved it. Going back looking at some of the logs reminded me of the creativity that exists in the geocaching world.

• Funny 1

Found one that may be a legal version of what you are talking about.  It was a mystery cache with many possible locations.  When you find it then you move it to one of the other possible locations but don't tell which one.   Locations were all LPC in a large mall parking lot

Edited by 4wheeler
16 minutes ago, 4wheeler said:

Found one that may be a legal version of what you are talking about.  It was a mystery cache with many possible locations.  When you find it then you move it to one of the other possible locations but don't tell which one.   Locations were all LPC in a large mall parking lot

That doesn't sound legit either.

25 minutes ago, 4wheeler said:

I found a mystery/puzzle cache that was based on the Monty Hall problem. There were 3 waypoints, which were 3 different lamp posts in the same parking lot. The idea was to pick A, B, or C. On the outside of the container, was a message that told you that one of the other waypoints was NOT the cache. You could then decide whether to open the container you were currently holding (i.e., stay with your original choice) or switch to the other location that hadn't been revealed yet.

For example, if I find container A and it tells me that B is NOT the cache, then I could either open A (which is in my hand), or I could put it back and open C.

Two containers had laminated notes that told you that this was not the cache. The other had the log. The owner requested (not required, because that would be an ALR) everyone to say in their log whether they switched, and whether the first container they opened was the actual cache. You were NOT supposed to say whether you chose A, B, or C first, or whether the actual cache was A, B, or C.

The cache didn't actually move, but it was a fun twist where you knew it was in one of 3 locations, but not which location. And they were all physical waypoints, because they all had a game piece of some kind.

5 minutes ago, niraD said:

I found a mystery/puzzle cache that was based on the Monty Hall problem. There were 3 waypoints, which were 3 different lamp posts in the same parking lot. The idea was to pick A, B, or C. On the outside of the container, was a message that told you that one of the other waypoints was NOT the cache. You could then decide whether to open the container you were currently holding (i.e., stay with your original choice) or switch to the other location that hadn't been revealed yet.

For example, if I find container A and it tells me that B is NOT the cache, then I could either open A (which is in my hand), or I could put it back and open C.

Two containers had laminated notes that told you that this was not the cache. The other had the log. The owner requested (not required, because that would be an ALR) everyone to say in their log whether they switched, and whether the first container they opened was the actual cache. You were NOT supposed to say whether you chose A, B, or C first, or whether the actual cache was A, B, or C.

The cache didn't actually move, but it was a fun twist where you knew it was in one of 3 locations, but not which location. And they were all physical waypoints, because they all had a game piece of some kind.

I would enjoy one like that.

Ohhhhhh,

I remember those ... I remember high-tailing it 65 miles to snag one, only to find it looooonnnggg gone.  Late logging issues.

By the time it had been logged at "point A" it had been in San Francisco, Calif for 3 days.

Concept reminded me of a First To Find Run .... but by golly you had better be first on site.

18 hours ago, humboldt flier said:

Concept reminded me of a First To Find Run .... but by golly you had better be first on site.

Yeah, that was pretty much it. Every find was essentially an FTF race, because whoever found it would take it and re-hide it somewhere else.

I remember one that showed up at an event location. A bunch of us headed out together to find the cache. We all logged it, even though only one of us kept it and re-hid it.