Coordinate Sister Cities

By accident (the annoying E-W bug) I found out that the city Zierikzee in the Netherlands (roughly with coordinates N 51° 39.021 E 003° 55.132) has Swansea in Wales as its coordinate 'sister city' (with roughly the coordinates N 51° 39.021 W 003° 55.132). Could this be an idea for a coordinate game? Something like one waymarker posting pics from for example Zierikzee asks a waymarker from Wales to make some pics of the city of Swansea and as a joint effort they create one waymark? In my opinion it has to be two sizable towns or cities (population 5000+). 

2 hours ago, Becktracker said:

By accident (the annoying E-W bug) I found out that the city Zierikzee in the Netherlands (roughly with coordinates N 51° 39.021 E 003° 55.132) has Swansea in Wales as its coordinate 'sister city' (with roughly the coordinates N 51° 39.021 W 003° 55.132). Could this be an idea for a coordinate game? Something like one waymarker posting pics from for example Zierikzee asks a waymarker from Wales to make some pics of the city of Swansea and as a joint effort they create one waymark? In my opinion it has to be two sizable towns or cities (population 5000+). 

I was with you until the one waymark.

3 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

the places for this kind of game are really limited by the many oceans of earth

That would have been my initial observation. Let's look at an example, my home town. Two transpositions of my coords put me in the South Pacific Ocean, while the third puts me in a very rural area of China. I do see a few potentially useful locations other than northern Europe, but they're few and their reciprocals seldom visited by Waymarkers

A few minute's poking around - potential half-success:

Close-ish east-west swap I could get would be for a city in Kyrgyzstan that matches up with a golf course about 50 miles from me. It looks like there's some sort of sizeable monument on the eastern edge of town at its border with some farmland...Google Street View hasn't gotten there quite yet. ;)

Know anybody who lives in Jalal-Abad?!

From having tried this with my home-town Lopik in the Netherlands (one time rural Wales, two times ocean) and some other cities I've visted and from your reactions I have two observations:

-The four options with the conversion from N to S or E to W are too few. Most of the time you end up in the ocean. If you swap the NS coordinate with the EW coordinate you gain 4 additional options. With my home-town I 'gained' a place in the Amazon Rain Forest and a place 20 km out of the coast of Guyana. Off course this is difficult when you are at a coordinate above 80 E/W, as the corresponding N/S coordinate doesnt exist. I would suggest correcting the coordinate of Sydney for example from 151° 12.520 to 15° 11.252.

-The places found are mostly in places where no waymarker is present, such as central Asia, Africa or South-America. The 'two-waymarker' thing and the 'joint-effort' are thus not realistic. Maybe it is enough if you found a place large enough and can find some information about the specific town or city on the internet.

While rare, I think this is an enjoyable coordinate game and rarity hasn't stopped us to make a category in the past...

Succes! I succesfully matched Amsterdam and Cayenne in Guyana this way. Coordinates N 052° 20.200 E 04° 56.200 and N 04° 56.200 W 052° 20.200

Edited by Becktracker

If I swap the coordinates of my hometown, I get:

1. Somewhere im Jemen

2. Ocean

3. around 70 km from Brasilia, Brasil

4. Somewhere on Madagascar

While there are four additional opportunities, I think there are not enough WMers around the globe to find a reasonable number of WMs. 

And more generally: I (personally) think, that we have enough Coordinate Games already.

• Love 1