Newby Questions.....

magpies22

I have been Geocaching for 15 months, so am still fairly new at all of this. I am inquisitive & can work most things out but I have 3 questions that I need answered if anyone can help.....

1) What is Project APE & where can I find one?

2) I was at the Wangaratta Mega event last weekend & saw that a few people had logged a Webcam Cache on their most cache types in a day list. I couldn't see where there was one & don't know how to find one. Any ideas on that one?

3) Finally, I see on Project GC that Lab Caches are added in personal stats but are deleted when comparing with other people's stats. Doe anyone know why?

Thanks in anticipation.................

1. There are two A.P.E. caches left, one near Seattle, Washington, USA, and one near Sao Paulo, Brazil. This bookmark list has all the current and former A.P.E. listings.

2. I can't answer which particular webcam folks may have logged for their busy days, but using the search function, you can search for all active webcam caches in the world and display the results on a map.  Seems we're down to 222. (Bummer.)

3. Project-GC's FAQ has this to say about lab caches:

What about Lab caches?

Lab caches aren't considered as normal Geocaches by the system and therefore they aren't included in most statistics.

Today they are optionally included in the Profile Statistics for our paying members, where applicable. The user must enable them in their Profile Statistics for them to be accounted for.

They are not likely to be included in any other statistics since they are not compatible (missing several data fields like difficulty/terrain).

Not sure if you live in Victoria or just travelled there for the Event, but there is one Webcam cache left in Vic - GCMJ2J - Spirit of the Skier at Mt Buller. In case you you didn't already know, to log a webcam cache you need a way to capture a screenshot of the webcam stream (easy these days with a smart phone) to prove you were there. A bit like the "hey ma, I'm on TV!" type scenarios you'd see on 80's / 90's sitcoms.

If you're not in Vic, there's two over near Adelaide ... and that's it. Those are the only three active webcam caches in Australia.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:20 PM, magpies22 said:

I have been Geocaching for 15 months, so am still fairly new at all of this. I am inquisitive & can work most things out but I have 3 questions that I need answered if anyone can help.....

1) What is Project APE & where can I find one?

2) I was at the Wangaratta Mega event last weekend & saw that a few people had logged a Webcam Cache on their most cache types in a day list. I couldn't see where there was one & don't know how to find one. Any ideas on that one?

3) Finally, I see on Project GC that Lab Caches are added in personal stats but are deleted when comparing with other people's stats. Doe anyone know why?

Thanks in anticipation.................

magpies22

If you have any more questions I am more than happy to help. You can send me a private message by clicking on my Profile Icon in this chat. Feel free to message me anytime.

Dan