"Send to Garmin" feature not working.

ThreeCats

I've not used the Garmin GPSMap60 in awhile and recently discovered that feature is not working anymore. I don't know if it's a combination of newer versions of my operating system, Safari, and Firefox or it's that Garmin is not supporting that anymore. I loved the function as it beat handloading and also named the cache, etc and allowed you to log the find right away.

On Safari I am getting a message that Safari does not recognize address starting with Garminexpress.

Any ideas at all? Thanks

55 minutes ago, ThreeCats said:

I've not used the Garmin GPSMap60 in awhile and recently discovered that feature is not working anymore. I don't know if it's a combination of newer versions of my operating system, Safari, and Firefox or it's that Garmin is not supporting that anymore. I loved the function as it beat handloading and also named the cache, etc and allowed you to log the find right away.

On Safari I am getting a message that Safari does not recognize address starting with Garminexpress.

Any ideas at all? Thanks

Send To Garmin (which uses Garmin Express) doesn’t work with the GPSMap 60.  Here’s a thread with some options:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ThreeCats said:

Any ideas at all? Thanks

Sure...   I've loaded caches manually to a 60cxs since starting (about a year earlier than you.).  Takes less than two minutes a cache.

With a small notepad for hints and other relevant info, and good to go.  :)

Today's phones are equal to a GPSr, so an app will work too, though (so far...) I've only used mine JIC a new cache came out in the area I'm in.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
14 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Sure...   I've loaded caches manually to a 60cxs since starting (about a year earlier than you.).  Takes less than two minutes a cache.

With a small notepad for hints and other relevant info, and good to go.  :)

Today's phones are equal to a GPSr, so an app will work too, though (so far...) I've only used mine JIC a new cache came out in the area I'm in.

I'll probably end up going back to that. That's how I used to do it as well along with printing out the cache info. I may try the phone ap again. I think before if you were a premium member on this web site it counted toward the app as well. Not paying twice.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
3 hours ago, ThreeCats said:

I'll probably end up going back to that. That's how I used to do it as well along with printing out the cache info. I may try the phone ap again. I think before if you were a premium member on this web site it counted toward the app as well. Not paying twice.

I've never paid a penny for the app. PM is applied to the app as well as the website.

I’ve cached with both the phone and with the 60csx (sometimes at the same time)… I find the old caches are best to hunt with the Garmin, while new ones are better with the phone. Because that’s what was used when they were placed!

Location algorithms and chipsets change. These little differences can cause enough location error to make the difference between a smiley and a DNF.

So there’s life for the ol Garmin yet!

16 hours ago, ThreeCats said:

When The Official App first came out, it was something like $9.95 just for the App, regardless of membership level.  Today, the vast majority of online game Apps are "free" with some form of continuing payment, and often such in-game purchases are effectively unlimited.  The handful of one-time-pay 3rd-party Geocaching Apps get a lot of angry low ratings because people get no particular benefit from Geocaching.com for buying an App, it includes no Premium Membership, a subscription payment.

Today the old Official App won't even run anymore.  It was replaced with a new App and that functions differently for Basic Members than it does with PMs.

Phone Apps and Garmins are totally different things, with pros and cons for each.  But the flagship Garmin handhelds connect to a phone in the field, so the difference is diminishing. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1