An Easy Challenge ?

Rustynails

11 minutes ago, kunarion said:

It has the challenge to "Find and log all active Virtual Caches in Utah that were published before 2017".  But it was published in 2009.  Is it common to have a requirement to wait several years in case of additional cache placement?

Interesting, I didn't catch that one. They may have changed requirements without the reviewers knowledge? I don't think changing requirements after publication is allowed. That and D/ T needs to be looked into.

Edited by rustynails.
Just now, rustynails. said:

Interesting, I didn't catch that one. They may have changed requirements without the reviews knowledge?

Yes, that would explain it, post-publish editing in 2017 to account for the unexpected new Virtuals.

I looked up a Challenge Cache that required finding caches by CO name for every letter of the alphabet.  I had 4 left without really trying.

Except that

the name listed was sometimes different than the actual owner name, and
caches changed owners after the challenge started, and

owners changed their cacher names.

I'm not that excited about working through ever-changing challenge qualifications. 

The good news is, the cache mentioned in the OP could probably be set up with a Challenge Checker.

• Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, rustynails. said:

Interesting, I didn't catch that one. They may have changed requirements without the reviewers knowledge? I don't think changing requirements after publication is allowed. That and D/ T needs to be looked into.

Well, isn't the 2017 simply excluding modern virtuals because new virtuals make it an ever expanding problem? I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction to a major change in the game that makes the challenge significantly different than it was originally.

The D/T rating obviously reflects only the physical find itself. Personally, I prefer the rating to reflect the challenge, but many Challenge COs disagree with me, so I'll leave it up to them.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that no one's completed the challenge than the fact that the challenge exists. I'm guessing there are a significant number of very challenging virtuals in Utah. It also looks like the location of the final is somewhat out of the way, perhaps leaving it overlooked by the kind of people that would climb every mountain in Utah in order to complete a challenge. But who knows?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, dprovan said:

Well, isn't the 2017 simply excluding modern virtuals because new virtuals make it an ever expanding problem? I think that's a perfectly reasonable reaction to a major change in the game that makes the challenge significantly different than it was originally.

Not as reasonable as one may think. Our local reviewers made clear that it is not allowed to change virtual challenge requirements because new virtuals were published. Cache owners tried afterwards limit the publish date before 2017 but reviewers didn't allow this change.

• Surprised 2
  • Helpful 1
On 1/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, arisoft said:

Not as reasonable as one may think. Our local reviewers made clear that it is not allowed to change virtual challenge requirements because new virtuals were published. Cache owners tried afterwards limit the publish date before 2017 but reviewers didn't allow this change.

I don't suppose the challenge was to find a certain number of virtuals? I'd consider that a different kind of change.

The reward for most challenges is not the number of stars but the smiley. :)

Though this might be one of the poster children that was used to change the rules of challenges. I have at least 30/88 challenges that I have signed that I probably will never qualify for. and that is ok by me. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, lee737 said:

I can't believe how many of the old virtuals you actually have!

Me neither! If I can trust the search filtering on the site, Sweden (roughly twice the size and three times the population of Utah) has 236 active virtuals, but only 9 of them were placed before 2017. It would still require some traveling to visit them all though, a couple of them are 1,000 km north of me wile one is 360 km to south-west.

• Upvote 1