SF Bay Area geocachers

It happened this morning as a matter of fact. Out at Legos #1 at Rancho San Antonio.

I will report that he found the cache will the skill of a seasoned cacher, despite 2 previous finders snickering on the sidelines...

Geez, it would be hard to keep a secret on these boards. I didn't even get a chance to log it first!

Thanks to MotorBug, Nostrada and Workerofwood for accompanying me and thanks to WeBeDnD for the cool cache. Thanks to the rest of you for all the caches and fun.

And I'd like to thank my agent, my mom and dad and the academy.... :-)

Good ideas for the game although a 6 hour handicap sounds a little harsh. we'll have to think on that one.

My initial thought was to not make it an actual TB, but to require Nazgul to monitor logs. Knowing where I dropped it off would give the starting point, then watching that log would tell him who picked it up.

Then he's have to monitor that person's activity to see when/where it gets dropped off next. Doing this would eliminate the need for any type of head-start.

Thoughts?

Too much work?

If it is then I need to either order a TB ASAP or hook up with somebody next week who can sell me one.

Merry Xmas to all.

Good ideas for the game although a 6 hour handicap sounds a little harsh. we'll have to think on that one. 

My initial thought was to not make it an actual TB, but to require Nazgul to monitor logs. Knowing where I dropped it off would give the starting point, then watching that log would tell him who picked it up.

Then he's have to monitor that person's activity to see when/where it gets dropped off next. Doing this would eliminate the need for any type of head-start.

Thoughts?

Too much work?

If it is then I need to either order a TB ASAP or hook up with somebody next week who can sell me one.

Merry Xmas to all.

Ack, having to monitor people's logs would be a bit much, especially if Alamo gets his hands on it! A single TB I could watch would save a lot of time going through the site.

Ironically, I have a few extra unregistered TB tag sets here ready to go.

(edit - typo)

Edited by Team Nazgul
On another note, my brother, (non cacher so far) invited us to go hiking in Sunol Park. Already looked up the caches there. Any suggestions, must do's from anybody who's already hiked the park? What's the terrain like?

Terrain is hilly. Many of the hills are stacked up on top of each other as well, making it even more hilly. I would suggest seeking "acorn woodpecker", then following the trail NW until you come to a fork where it breaks uphill. Take that to "jurcachic park" and then on to "Burl Ives". There are other new caches around them too. The trail you will be on has that one climb at the beginning but is pretty level after that with great views. You will end up at Little Yosemite - take the fire road back to parking. The other trails are worthwhile as well, but they have much more 'up' in them.

Also many of those excited sub-50 newbies don't stay that way for long! It seems like the Geobrowns just started what, last Tuesday and they already have about nine billion finds.  <_<

You mean not everyone is having as much fun as us?!!

We want to hit 500 by years end, not sure why, sometimes it's just fun to make little goals like that for no reason. I sure hope the weather doesn't hinder us, or the sore throat I am starting to get. If not, no biggie. Well, maybe raingear, a scarf and lozenges will do the trick! :rolleyes:

Congrats to the Geobrowns for hitting 500... in just a bit over 3 months! Always nice to see some serious addicts joining our ranks :mad:

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and you DON'T have to have 1000 by Valentines day, really...

Are we nuts?! Don't answer that!

We had such a nice day yesterday weather wise and knew the weather was taking a turn for the worse so we decided to just get as many as we had the desire for. We needed 31 to make the 500 but got 32, a spare just in case one of the 2 Locationless ones was already taken. I still need to see why the Locationless Proximity program doesn't seem to pick up any locals even though I have it set for our home coordinates and within a 50 mile region.

We did Los Gatos Creek trail, have always seen that area but never walked there. Even did that tricky Hamann Hangout in 5 min. Whew! Only got 3 DNF (Steve's History of Saratoga, Foghead's mini torture Virginia Park Cache and a Romantic Rondezvous on Lawrence that shouldn't be that hard so may be missing) We did M&J's Simpsons Trivia for #500 with a couple of screech owls flying around the tress with their loud cries, was real cool (and cold!)

Pooped out today!

Now we want to plan a few more hides. :rolleyes:

I may take you up on that. Maybe I'll let you know when I come over to Quiksilver to set it free - we can hook up and I can grab a TB from ya and you can kiss the Precious goodbye :rolleyes: .

If it ever stops raining....

or, be placed in a cache where the holder is the FTF.

Except so many show up at the new ones, competition is very high here for FTF, and many are also late night time seekers. Also most of those now know the Nazgul mode of transportaion, they may then wisely seek to withhold the Precious from the cache if they detect he is near. :unsure:

Well, if it's a race to get to the precious, Nazgul may be using his alternate transportation. :unsure:

Speaking of FTF hunts... Why is it that a failed FTF, in fact a miserable DNF, for half an hour in the cold rain, slipping and getting ripped by blackberry thorns, soaked though and muddy, is still better than so many other things? (No wonder my wife thinks I'm nuts.)

Why is it that a failed FTF, in fact a miserable DNF, for half an hour in the cold rain, slipping and getting ripped by blackberry thorns, soaked though and muddy, is still better than so many other things?

'cuz I'm stuck at home working on the honey-do's :blink: .

Thought about braving the rain today, but it comes down HARD up here when it comes down. If it just showers in the morning I may say what the #$%*& and head out for a few short ones.

Maybe the Redwoods will provide some cover! :unsure:

Just a quick note to say that I am taking yvanovich.com offline for a bit while I upgrade to a spiffy new server. I went out a bought a cute little ShuttleX mini box, Althelon 64 (3000) processor and a 300 gig drive. Man, did you know that a 300 gig drive goes for $219 and a 400 gig drive is $300? For under a $1000 you can get a terrabyte worth of disk space! Amazing, thinking back how much a 10 meg hard drive used to be.

FYI, when yvanovich.com goes down, *.geocoin.net goes with it, since it is in fact the same web server. Hopefully, we will have it back up relatively soon.

I won't be receiving e-mail while it's down, so if you need to contact me, the best way is via aol instant messenger (marky95118).

--Marky

If you're interested in a FTF... there are now two more in Pogonip... just got the approvals today :blink:

Return of Spot

Don't Take the Stamp!

Too bad there is so much rain... these will be much nicer when it is dry :huh: and you can see the view.... and I KNOW some of you won't be able to wait that long :unsure:

Don't think I'm not thinking about it - saw these earlier.

Debating on whether I want to be FTF or wait until the rain clears (next week?!?!) and enjoy the views.

I guess there's nothing keeping me from going back, eh?

I was up by Umunhum today and stopped by the Woods road entrance to Quicksilver to see if the trails were open to bikes(not). As I got back to the truck a large bobcat came out of the woods and started hunting in the field adjacent to sign shack. Picture is a little blurry due to low light and full zoom but you can see him. Pretty cool!

ac9be33d-94ea-48b9-ae98-fd937ea066cd.jpg

I'm hoping that when I run into a 'cat' in the wild that it's a bobcat as well (as opposed to the mountain lions that are roaming around here) ;) .

On another note - I sent Boulter a calibrated map for Henry Cowell State Park today. Not sure how long until he gets it posted to his site, but those of you using ExpertGPS should keep your eyes open for it.

Hoping to get maps for UCSC and PogoNip (adjacent to UCSC and Henry Cowell) soon as well.

Regarding the cats: I do a lot of solo mtb riding out in the boonies and I was horrified to find out that the lions can leap 16 feet vertically. If one wanted to ambush you(as happened to a biker in SoCal) you wouldn't have much time to respond. I never gave them much thought until the biker was killed down there. The bobcat in my picture above took off the instant it heard someone else coming down the trail(otherwise I would have got some nice photos as it was heading toward me in the truck). Hopefully the big cats will always do that as well.

BTW What's the best entrance and parking spot for all the new letterboxes in SC, we are heading down to Aptos beach for New Years eve and I think I can talk the family into a quick hike if the weather breaks.

BTW What's the best entrance and parking spot for all the new letterboxes in SC, we are heading down to Aptos beach for New Years eve and I think I can talk the family into a quick hike if the weather breaks.

Best Entrance for "Don't take the Stamp!" is to park in UCSC north east .... (This one also gets you close to "Pinogop" and "Return of Spot". As you take the perimeter road (Glen Coolidge Drive) around UCSC, when you look east (downhill) you are looking into Pogonip. Parking on holidays if free (I think). You can walk from here to "Spring Stamp" letterbox , but if you are following the directions, you are approaching from the wrong direction.

Best entrance for "Spring Stamp" letterbox is Spring Street. Nearest cache to trail head is is "Twisted Oak". The cache is north of Spring Street.

There is also a new letterbox hybrid (Winter Stamp) in Henry Cowell (South East corner) that is accessible from near Sims Road and Graham Hill road (you can take the La Madrona Exit from Hwy 17). Pipeline Road (paved fire trail) allows mountain bikes... but there are some serious hills. If you do this one, be sure to do "Houdini's Hideaway"... one of my favorites. Go about another .5 mile past Winter Stamp to find another new cache "Uncle Greasy".

My GPSr tried to autoroute me to a nice parking spot on campus just west of Spring Stamp but for some inexplicable reason there are signs in the large pullout that say you'll be ticketed if you leave your vehicle unattended. At that point I backtracked to Spring St. and parked there. The trail to the cache is very nice. Whatever you do, follow the letterboxing directions to Spring Stamp because the posted coords were off by over 1,100', a bit much for even the usual Garmin/Magellan difference. :rolleyes:

From Spring Stamp I walked north beyond Don't Take the Stamp! until I hit a trail intersection that I was really hoping would be there and got the cache on the way back via the trail it is on. It's a nice hike but I'm sure that it wasn't as efficient as parking at the suggested coords.

For Winter Stamp, I didn't have a park map and my Garmin street database didn't list a "pipeline road" but the entrance is easy to find, pretty much directly east of the cache on Graham Hill Rd.

- Soggy Nazgul

(It's funny that my first letterbox hybrid was all the way up in Oregon, and a month later there are suddenly four of them within about 20 miles of me.)

Edited by Team Nazgul
My GPSr tried to autoroute me to a nice parking spot on campus just west of Spring Stamp but for some inexplicable reason there are signs in the large pullout that say you'll be ticketed if you leave your vehicle unattended.

You needed to go JUST past that (maybe another .2/mile) to parking on the left side of the road - meters but free on Holidays. From there, you walk back to the trailhead.

Shame though, that pullout is just begging to be used.

FYI - I sent Boulter a calibrated map for UCSC and he's already posted that along with 4 other new ones (including Henry Cowell, Wilder, Castle Rock and another...).

The only one left in this area is Pogonip (which seems to be the hotbed for new caches right now) but htey don;t have an online map anywhere (Google'd and actaully called them).

As soon as I can scan one in we'll have the area covered.

Thanks to Boulter for adding all the others and providing a great resource!

I may take you up on that. Maybe I'll let you know when I come over to Quiksilver to set it free - we can hook up and I can grab a TB from ya and you can kiss the Precious goodbye :huh: .

If it ever stops raining....

We got 17 TB tags for wedding presents. Let me know if you want one and we can make arrangements. <_<

Two things (the first being most important):

1) What's the latest on SBUX??

2) For you guys that are over the hill (the mountains, not referring to your ages :rolleyes: ) and need a change of scenery - come on over to the Pogonip area between UCSC and Henry Cowell State Park.

Lots of new caches, letterbox hybrids, etc. to hunt. Even if it's raining the Redwoods provide some cover for ya -

There's even two new caches in Henry Cowell to hunt. We were able to entice WoW over today (ok, I bailed out on meeting him at QS at the last minute but he forgave me) and he had a great time.

Kudos to the locals over here for providing some great new caches.

(Visit Return of Spot by Sgt Stitches - you won't be dissapointed).

Hey Marky, Kealia or anone else who makes their own laminated TB info tags... I just bought a laminator and I have a pile of TBs I'm bringing with me to Las Vegas next week that I'd like to tag... Is there a good template for printing out the the info tags?

Also I know that M&J have a little kit for grommeting the holes in the info tags, where would I find such a thing?

TIA!

Is there a good template for printing out the the info tags?

Sure would like one too, kind of made my own but it barely fits right in the 2-1/8 x 3-3/8" laminating pouches I purchased. I know I asked Joannie at the last Event and she had them in a Mac program, not combatable to Windows? Or something like that.

Hey Marky, Kealia or anone else who makes their own laminated TB info tags... I just bought a laminator and I have a pile of TBs I'm bringing with me to Las Vegas next week that I'd like to tag... Is there a good template for printing out the the info tags?

Also I know that M&J have a little kit for grommeting the holes in the info tags, where would I find such a thing?

TIA!

Don't have webspace at the moment but I'll email you what I used on THE PRECIOUS.

Do any of the car based GPS systems allow you to enter coords? It's just about time to hand over the trusty ole piece of junk 4x4 to the almost 16 year old so I'll be picking up a new run around car and I'm wondering which system I could throw in it that would allow me to enter in a coords based waypoint.

BTW Nisene marks is an awesome park, well worth a visit. We could only hit 2 of the lower caches(bring extra shoes for the creek crossing) since we had a pair of three year olds with us but I plan to get back out there soon. Do the Twist has a very surreal group of trees... sort of a mini mystery spot.

Unfortunately I was reading in the Aptos local paper that they have banned bikes from the upper 9000 acres to(of all lame reasons) limit parking lot congestion at the entrance.

Edited by bullit
Do any of the car based GPS systems allow you to enter coords? It's just about time to hand over the trusty ole piece of junk 4x4 to the almost 16 year old so I'll be picking up a new run around car and I'm wondering which system I could throw in it that would allow me to enter in a coords based waypoint.

I'm working on a way to do this with Tomtom Navigator (Zire 72 Nav pack). I just haven't taken the time to write the little app to do it. As soon as I get a palm development environment up and functioning, it shouldn't take me too long. I just love this system (as anyone who has been around me this last month surely knows).

--Marky

BTW Nisene marks is an awesome park, well worth a visit. We could only hit 2 of the lower caches(bring extra shoes for the creek crossing) since we had a pair of three year olds with us but I plan to get back out there soon. Do the Twist has a very surreal group of trees... sort of a mini mystery spot.

Unfortunately I was reading in the Aptos local paper that they have banned bikes from the upper 9000 acres to(of all lame reasons) limit parking lot congestion at the entrance.

Agreed, I love that park and have more caches planned as soon as:

1) I get used to being back to work after a 2-week break

2) It stops raining

3) I have a free weekend (none in site)

Which paer did you see the article in?

Ack, a bunch of Marky posts and he never answered my question about the TB info tag grommets... So I'll ask another question. M&J, Nurse Dave and now Workerofwood I see, all have similar sig items binders. Is there a good local source for these things and what are they called? Right now I have a pile of stuff in a tupperware box (naturally) but it would be nice to have it in something presentable, even if it's not much of a collection.

Ack, a bunch of Marky posts and he never answered my question about the TB info tag grommets... So I'll ask another question. M&J, Nurse Dave and now Workerofwood I see, all have similar sig items binders. Is there a good local source for these things and what are they called? Right now I have a pile of stuff in a tupperware box (naturally) but it would be nice to have it in something presentable, even if it's not much of a collection.

My kids got mine at Office Depot. Pages were standard transperency pages. Think you could get other types at a baseball card store or coin shop.

My kids got mine at Office Depot. Pages were standard transperency pages. Think you could get other types at a baseball card store or coin shop.

OK, thanks. I was thinking of baseball card holders, or business card holders, or some sort of mix to hold as many of the odd shapes and sizes as possible.

Ack, a bunch of Marky posts and he never answered my question about the TB info tag grommets...

Ack, I must have not noticed that question. We buy the grommets at Joanne Fabrics because they seem to have the cheapest, bulkyest packages. Do don't, however, have much selection. You would find lots of selection at the scrapbook store that is about 25 feet from the solution coords of Castaway Cay Pad. Michaels probably has them as well as do similar stores to the above.

--Marky