SF Bay Area geocachers

Anyway, thinking about hitting a few caches in Almaden QS tomorrow - is the park dog-friendly?

EDIT: Answered my own question using this cool thing called the Internet..... :grin:

Yeah, but you didn't share the answer with the rest of us. You don't expect us to look it up for ourselves, do you? :blink:

--Marky

Eeekkk, I have a hard enough time scrolling past that avatar, to think I may find that scary face in a cache!! Spooked me enough watching the movie.

You mean I'm not Precious?!?!?!

I promise, I'm slightly less ugly in person. Well, maybe I should leave that decision open to those who've met me........ B) .

Well, ok, with the glasses and red hat and suit, you may be slightly Precious.

Mmm... well.... maybe not. Sorry, still till getting that icky feeling!

Saw your profile and gallery, (I like knowing a bit of who I may be stalking, er, I mean just for shot glass hunting purposes mind you! B) ) thank goodess there is no close resembalance!

Saw your new cache, hubby and I will have to get over the hill and do some hiking out there soon, been wanting to do some caching in the Scotts Valley, Felton area. Our son works there in Scotts Valley.

Ah, but the only person pictured in my profile is my wife - not me B) .

Anyway, you'll love the caching in both Henry Cowell and Nisene Marks if that's where you head. I can always recommend some caches if you like. Just email me with what you like (long hikes, short, micros, etc.).

Hey, now that the war sounds like it could be drawing to an end maybe I have something else people can put there efforts into. I got the idea from something I posted on the Oregon caching webpage and the comment that I think Marky made about adding colour to the California geocoin.

I'd like to get a Bay Area geocoin done. I was thinking of the goldengate bridge with water, sky, island, etc. on one side and hadn't thought about the other side. I know of at least two other people that would be interested. I'm betting there is enough interest in the bay area to have this coin that would be in the $5 range and still have the California coin that more people would be comfortable leaving in more caches. If you guys give the thumbs up I'll start a new thread and get things rolling.

BTW I did ask Kealia if he would mind since he's got a design going for the Santa Cruz area. He didn't mind so here it is.

Saw your profile and gallery, (I like knowing a bit of who I may be stalking, er, I mean just for shot glass hunting purposes mind you!  B) ) thank goodess there is no close resembalance! 

Saw your new cache, hubby and I will have to get over the hill and do some hiking out there soon, been wanting to do some caching in the Scotts Valley, Felton area. Our son works there in Scotts Valley.

I really enjoyed the long hike to "Where's the pancakes?" cache in Forest of Nisene Marks State Park near Aptos. I ran into three Kealia shotglasses in the park... and took one from "A Prelude to Darkness and Light" cache.

Ah, but the only person pictured in my profile is my wife - not me  B) .

Anyway, you'll love the caching in both Henry Cowell and Nisene Marks if that's where you head. I can always recommend some caches if you like. Just email me with what you like (long hikes, short, micros, etc.).

Hmmm, well I hadn't checked your profile lately but I know I saw it somewhere, probably at an event where I had looked at pics to get to know faces with user names. And that link, I know that's Steve so that's you and your daughter I suppose. Our pics can be found on a recent Event too. :cry:

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know when we are heading over and see about any suggestions.

I just posted a question in general geocaching topics about using a cell phone with a browser for logging caches. But I also wanted to get opinions from people in this forum about the best cell phone service in the bay area, both in terms of price and coverage. I live in Palo Alto, so good coverage around there is essential. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, any event caches in the works? I picked up a TB a couple of weeks ago that wants to go to events, but I haven't seen any pop up lately!

Thanks in advance!

I just was checking the lastest closings info on the Santa Clara county parks site, and am posting as an FYI for those planning to visit caches in these areas:

* Almaden Quicksilver - All trails are closed to equestrians and bike riders due to very wet conditions (as of 12/7/04). As of Dec. 10, 2004, the Virl Norton Trail will be closed due to rehabilation work - this involves soil displacement and extensive reseeding. The trail will reopen in May 2005.

* Los Gatos Creek Trail - San Jose Water Company will be removing segments of pipeline along and across the Los Gatos Creek Trail. To ensure public safety during heavy construction activities, a section of the trail will be closed, north from the Alam Bridge Road (at Lexington Reservoir), to the south side of the Main Street Bridge in Los Gatos. The trail section is closed beginning Monday, Dec. 6, 2004. The trail will reopen on Friday evening, Dec. 24, 2004. Access to the Los Gatos Creek Trail from Main Street northbound to Forbes Mill, Vasona Park and to the foot trail on the east side of Los Gatos Creek will remain available. The St. Joseph's Hill Open Space Preserve and Jones Trail are available as alternate routes for access to Lexington Reservoir. For questions regarding this project, please call West Valley Construction at (408)371-5510 or San Jose Water Company at (408)279-7825.

* Calero - All trails are closed (as of 12/7/04). As of 11/ 15/ 04 the Canada Del Oro section of Calero Park will be completely closed until Spring 2005. This includes Chisnantuck Peak trail, Bald Peaks Trail, Serpentine Loop Trail, and Canada Del Oro Trail.

* Ed Levin - All trails and the hang glider road to the top are closed (as of 12/7/04). Los Coches Ridge Trail is closed. Call (408)262-6980 for more information.

* Mt. Madonna - The Blackhawk Trail from Contour to Ridge Trail is closed permanently due to erosion.

* Lexington - Limekiln Trail is closed until further notice.

I omitted the boating-related info.

The phone number for info on the closures (unless noted otherwise) is (408) 355-2215.

The same web page has links to lists of the various county parks trails by category. On those pages you can determine which trails allow bikes and/or dogs.

Lexington - Limekiln Trail is closed until further notice.

What's that all about? Glad I got those caches out of the way recently.

I disabled my Limekiln Cache, but if the Priest Rock Trail is still open, you would be able to get up to these (only that 99999 cache would be unavailable, and I doubt the owner would mention that). On my last trip up there, there was extensive flood erosion about a half mile in from the trailhead and at some other spots before you get to the top. I imagine these just got too bad...

Edited by workerofwood

It must be the erosion issue on Limekiln, otherwise why close it and keep the nearby Priest Rock trail open?

Closing all the trails at Calero seemed pretty odd. Why shut all those down and keep all the similar trails at other parks open? I suppose I could drive over the hill from here and ask them, but I have geocaching to do. ;)

ps - My Limekiln Trailhead cache will remain active.

Edited by Team Nazgul
I just posted a question in general geocaching topics about using a cell phone with a browser for logging caches. But I also wanted to get opinions from people in this forum about the best cell phone service in the bay area, both in terms of price and coverage. I live in Palo Alto, so good coverage around there is essential. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Both my caching teammate and I use the T-Mobile SideKick (AKA Danger HipTop).

Device:

These things are really pretty great. The phone works ok, but the part that really shines is the data features. The IM, email, and web browser are all really usable. I have logged TBs and finds using it, and it works well, if a bit slowly at times. Downside: The do break. I have gone through many of them, but T-Mobile keeps replacing them free, so it's not a huge problem. The new version is somewhat more robust than the old one.

Service:

The are availible on T-Mobile only. I've found them to be price competitive with everyone else, esp. when it comes to data. They screw up just as much as any other carrier, but their customer service has been more reasonable and decent about making things right. As for coverage, I live in SF and spend a reasonable ammount of time in Berkeley, Oakland, and Burlingame. They cover everywhere I find myself quite well.

It fits in pretty well with my caching, too. If you keep your GPSr nearby, it's great to be able to run off and cache with no planning, as you can look everything up on your phone. I've found Geocaching.com to be suprisingly usable even with the weird browser and small screen.

If you've got any specific questions, just hollar.

Cheers,

SoFauxBoho of Yokohama Underground.

Just spent the morning looking at the Locationless listing, I am surprised no one has claimed CCCooperAgency in Mondo's Biggest Cache as the biggest cache finder. Shhhh, if Team Alamo will just hurry and get another 1600+ , someone here can log him! :lol:

By the way, I will be logging a Biggest of something here in the Bay area as soon as I get over and get my shot. ;)

Wait, someone CAN log him now, Biggest Cache Finder in the Bay Area and you can can use Boulter's leader board listings to prove it!

Edited by GeoBrowns
I just posted a question in general geocaching topics about using a cell phone with a browser for logging caches.  But I also wanted to get opinions from people in this forum about the best cell phone service in the bay area, both in terms of price and coverage.  I live in Palo Alto, so good coverage around there is essential.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Both my caching teammate and I use the T-Mobile SideKick (AKA Danger HipTop).

Device:

These things are really pretty great. The phone works ok, but the part that really shines is the data features. The IM, email, and web browser are all really usable. I have logged TBs and finds using it, and it works well, if a bit slowly at times. Downside: The do break. I have gone through many of them, but T-Mobile keeps replacing them free, so it's not a huge problem. The new version is somewhat more robust than the old one.

Service:

The are availible on T-Mobile only. I've found them to be price competitive with everyone else, esp. when it comes to data. They screw up just as much as any other carrier, but their customer service has been more reasonable and decent about making things right. As for coverage, I live in SF and spend a reasonable ammount of time in Berkeley, Oakland, and Burlingame. They cover everywhere I find myself quite well.

It fits in pretty well with my caching, too. If you keep your GPSr nearby, it's great to be able to run off and cache with no planning, as you can look everything up on your phone. I've found Geocaching.com to be suprisingly usable even with the weird browser and small screen.

If you've got any specific questions, just hollar.

Cheers,

SoFauxBoho of Yokohama Underground.

I think T-Mobile has pretty lousy coverage. It would be pretty lame to use almost anything besides a Sidekick for logging caches from the field; so you're pretty much stuck with T-Mobile. Coverage in Palo Alto should be pretty good (Danger is located in Palo Alto too), but coverage up in the hills is going to be spotty, and I've found that coverage even in Atherton is sometimes touch and go.

Lexington - Limekiln Trail is closed until further notice.

What's that all about? Glad I got those caches out of the way recently.

I disabled my Limekiln Cache, but if the Priest Rock Trail is still open, you would be able to get up to these (only that 99999 cache would be unavailable, and I doubt the owner would mention that). On my last trip up there, there was extensive flood erosion about a half mile in from the trailhead and at some other spots before you get to the top. I imagine these just got too bad...

I decided to scout the Limekiln Trail this afternoon after hearing about the trail closure earlier in the thread. This was my first time venturing into Sierra Azul.

I believe I saw the major erosion area that WoW mentioned, about 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the trailhead. The trail takes a major left turn and there are two dips. The first dip is wet, but not muddy, but looking up-slope, I saw a mini waterfall. The second dip is somewhat muddy, with fresh "slipped" mountain bike tracks.

There were many spots of soil saturation along the trail from where the asphalt patches end to the Lexington County Park/Sierra Azul border sign and beyond. Seems the drainage in this area isn't too good. There was a small landslide further up the hill, but the trail wasn't blocked. After passing an area where the drainage cut a deep ravine, the trail got much better up to the Priest Rock Trail intersection, with avoidable patches of mud here and there.

I saw two other cars parked at the trailhead, and noticed fresh foot and bike tracks all the way up. I also met a hiker on his way down. Seems that Limekiln is still usable until the next storm, as long as you wear good boots.

Oh, and I grabbed a few caches along the way. :rolleyes:

I decided to scout the Limekiln Trail this afternoon after hearing about the trail closure earlier in the thread. This was my first time venturing into Sierra Azul.

Ok, I have to play Devil's Advocate here.

If the trail was closed - why were you hiking it?

Not intentionaly trying to stir things up, but I am curious. We (cachers) all already banned from a few places (National Parks being the obvious example) because of a perceived disregard for natural resources, staying on trail, damaging the areas, etc.

Running into a ranger or park attendant and stating that you're just here grabbing a cache or two is certainly going to raise some flags and not bode well for all don't you think?

Not intentionaly trying to stir things up, but I am curious. We (cachers) all already banned from a few places (National Parks being the obvious example) because of a perceived disregard for natural resources, staying on trail, damaging the areas, etc.

Running into a ranger or park attendant and stating that you're just here grabbing a cache or two is certainly going to raise some flags and not bode well for all don't you think?

Agreed.

With the announcement already made about the trail closure, it was a risk I took with no legal protection in case I got hurt. However, I was surprised not to see any yellow tapes or newly posted warning signs to ward people off. Had they been there, I would have turned back. With the conditions of the trail on the Lexington County Park side, I won't be surprised if warning signs go up right before or after the next storm.

Most of the trail on the Sierra Azul side is actually in decent shape.

Had a ranger or a park attendant stopped me, I'd have hesitated to tell him why I was there ("geocaching"), that's like arguing with a police officer. Either I'd have gotten kicked out, or gotten a ticket, and that'd have been the end of the hike.

By the way, when I am on a public trail, I am a hiker like everyone else. There is no need for me to explain "why I am there" any more than any other hiker. I would not offer to a ranger that I was geocaching, there is no need to. None of his business (I've got a little bit of Libertarian streak running through me this morning... it'll wear off soon).

Granted, if you know it's closed, you should not go there, BUT.....

I've never called for status on a trail. If the trail is not posted as closed at the trailhead, what's to keep people from venturing up, and what grounds does a ranger have to cite them?

Agreed. No sign = no knowledge. Had this not been posted here, I would never have known about it.

And I agree with WoW - "I'm out hiking would be the answer I'd give".

It was late last night when I posted; while I was a bit concerned about somebody hiking the closed trail, I wasn't really tyring to stir the pot.

No offense meant, but at first glance it seemed like something that needed to be questioned.

On to happier topics... :blink:

On to happier topics... :anicute:

On that note, I saw that The Petoskey Stones passed 300 finds today! Congrats!

Also, regarding the trail closures... Today I was up in Los Gatos and can confirm that the creek trail south of the Main St. bridge is closed as advertised. It has a temporary fence and a large orange sign to that effect, so this one is rather unambiguous. The good news though is that the parallel trail on the east side of the creek - basically where all the caches are - is still open.

Agreed. No sign = no knowledge. Had this not been posted here, I would never have known about it.

And I agree with WoW - "I'm out hiking would be the answer I'd give".

It was late last night when I posted; while I was a bit concerned about somebody hiking the closed trail, I wasn't really tyring to stir the pot.

No offense meant, but at first glance it seemed like something that needed to be questioned.

On to happier topics... :blink:

I think the questions are valid, and a good sanity check. I didn't take offense to them. :anicute:

Speaking of happier topics, I found what looks like a WoW signature item in Foster City recently - it's a brown button that says "Worker of Wood and The Wood Chips" with a Geocaching logo in the middle. I did a quick inspection to see if a log sheet was cleverly hidden in there somehow, but so far no luck.

Hmmm... I guess I'll put off my Mt bike ride/cache hunt in Sierra Azul for a while or at least avoid limekiln(as I was already advised to by more than one cacher who hikes in there frequently). I certainly don't want to supply the gestapo with more ammo(get it? :anicute: ) to malign my two favorite pastimes.

I too found and grabbed a wow button today. Pretty Cool!

Speaking of happier topics, I found what looks like a WoW signature item in Foster City recently - it's a brown button that says "Worker of Wood and The Wood Chips" with a Geocaching logo in the middle. I did a quick inspection to see if a log sheet was cleverly hidden in there somehow, but so far no luck.

I ran out of those some time ago (extra points if you can spot the REALLY big typo). I stayed home from caching today to make a new batch (without the typo), and a new 2005 signature item. Both will be in a new cache to be placed on or about 12/25....

Hmmm... I guess I'll put off my Mt bike ride/cache hunt in Sierra Azul for a while or at least avoid limekiln(as I was already advised to by more than one cacher who hikes in there frequently). I certainly don't want to supply the gestapo with more ammo(get it? :anicute: ) to malign my two favorite pastimes.

I too found and grabbed a wow button today. Pretty Cool!

If Priest Rock trail remains open, then you can get to all the caches without trouble. I doubt they'll close the Limekiln trail past the Priest Rock junction... the damage is all on the lower branch. I like the Priest Rock trail better anyway.

I ran out of those some time ago (extra points if you can spot the REALLY big typo). I stayed home from caching today to make a new batch (without the typo), and a new 2005 signature item. Both will be in a new cache to be placed on or about 12/25....

Yup, I just spotted the typo! Not posting it here, because someone might use the misspelled word as a cypher key to a puzzle cache.... :anicute:

As far as sig items go I was thinking of buying a bunch of empty bullet cases and stamping them with bullit and the serial number. Not sure if that's appropiate for a family sport and doesn't really fit the real reason behind the selection of my user name which is actually the name of my Mt bike frame(as you can see I am not very creative :anicute: )

Well, empty (used) cases can be purchased really cheap and I think they'd be fine as a sig item. If they're cleaned up and deprimed they're nothing more than a harmless piece of solid brass. I don't see anything that would make them inappropriate for a famiy sport, although I'm sure that *someone* will disagree.

If you're going to stampt them on the side, you'll probably want something with a straight wall and all the same caliber so that you could put a metal rod or something inside the case when you're stamping them so it doesn't totally deform the case.

And here I thought your geo-name was from the old Steve McQueen movie.

I also thought the name "bullit" referred to the Steve McQueen movie (actually one of my favorites) but then you'll have to add another t at the end.

It would be cool to have 1967-68 Mustang Fastback diecast car as your signature item!

I've actually scouted the actual locations where the movie was filmed throughout San Francisco, Brisbane, Millbrae, etc, but that's before I had a GPS. Been thinking about doing an easy multi or a puzzle cache based on that.