SF Bay Area geocachers

Marky--

I really enjoyed the Woods Rd trail caches, although with the spacing at only 1/10th of a mile I had the vague sense that I hadn't quite "earned" the find. Great fun though, and definitely a way to draw me to a mountain park I'd never been to before. Thanks for all your hard work in setting the series up.

Matt

This Just in:

We are having an impromptu event cache at Shadow Cliffs Regional Park in Pleasanton on Sunday (July 11th), around Noon. Pepper is going to be in town and we thought it would be fun to have a picnic and chat. This is open to all geocachers (not just the ones who know Pepper). :laughing: As soon as the event cache is approved, the details will be here:

--Marky

Quicksilver Wood's Road feedback request:

Now that a lot of you have had a chance to go up and do the caches that Joani and I placed along Woods Road in Almaden Quicksilver park (along with the others that were already in place when we hid ours) we were wondering what you though of the experience as a whole. Of course, for the first people up there, there were the issues of coords being off on a few of the caches, which is always a drag but is to be expected.

But basically what I'm trying to find out is: Is this level of cache density a good thing? Was the experience made better or worse because of it? Any comments of any type would be welcome. I'm not fishing for complements here (although they are always welcome). I'm looking more for constructive critisism so that when we go to hide our next caches, we take these ideas and thoughts into consideration. Feel free to make comments on specific caches as well as general comments.

Marky,

We really enjoyed hunting for these caches on the 4th. Of course, ND had already found a lot of them, but the boyz and I were new to it. I think the interval was just right for someone caching with kids. I think the .25 you're talking about for the next trail would be okay too though.

This trail was ideal for our group because it is mostly flat (or gently sloped) which works for me with my bum knee and the boyz, who tend to bitch about having to climb hills!

Thanks a bunch for placing these!

This trail was ideal for our group because it is mostly flat (or gently sloped) which works for me with my bum knee and the boyz, who tend to bitch about having to climb hills!

Thanks a bunch for placing these!

That was one of the reasons why we picked this trail. It really makes a lot of neat areas of the park accessible to the casual day hiker. I noticed that the map of the trail we are looking at for our next caches is labled "steep". I've been on some trails labeled "steep" on a park map and they usually are.

--Marky

Hey, let's talk containers folk.

I've been finding caches here over the last several months that aren't anywhere close to being weather(water) proof. I've heard the comment that this is California and there won't be rain for months now. But hey, there are no temporary caches right? So it would seem placers should be thinking long term in their placements. It's a little frustrating to get the sense that there is some thought that if a cache lasts until the first rains that's long enough. Come on people, let's not put out any temporary caches here.

Quicksilver Wood's Road feedback request:

But basically what I'm trying to find out is: Is this level of cache density a good thing? 

Sorry to reply to this question a bit late...I hadn't been to the forums here until today.

We also did 7 of the Woods Road caches last weekend, and had a great time. There were two adults and my 11 year old daughter. I didn't even bother to print the sheet for the cache at the official cemetery, because I was convinced that we would never get that far into the park before the 11 yo got tired.

But once we got out there, with so many caches to hit she never had a chance to get bored / tired / whatever, so we made it to the cemetery with ease.

I'd hate to see a cache every 528 feet on every trail (though I admit to putting a cache 527 feet from an existing one), but YES I think having some high density spots like this is a good thing.

I hope sometime we're lucky enough to sync up with a big group like y'all had last weekend - sounds like lots of fun!

Thanks for the caches!

...Sammydee

Looking at the calendar I was thinking perhaps Saturday, July 24... I have a Round Table Pizza in mind that is very conveniently located and would let us reserve their back room.  It's at Camden and Union at Cambrian Plaza.

We don't live in Cambrian (we're near Santa Teresa / Cottle), but might be able to attend a dinner thing. Would be fun to say "hi".

...Sammydee

I've been finding caches here over the last several months that aren't anywhere close to being weather(water) proof. 

Thanks for the reminder. I've got to replace one cache ("Forgotten Plaza") before the rains, because it wasn't at all water tight and it got a lot of grumbles last spring.

What's the convention for replacing a container? Should I archive the cache and create a new one, or just swap it out?

...Sammydee

What's the convention for replacing a container?  Should I archive the cache and create a new one, or just swap it out? 

Unless you are re-hiding the new container more than 500 feet away, I'd just replace the container in the existing spot and update the cache page if needed.

I've been finding caches here over the last several months that aren't anywhere close to being weather(water) proof. 

Some of our caches are purposely not waterproof because of they way they are hidden. However, the log sheets are always rite in the rain paper printed on a color laser printer so shouldn't have any problems (of course, these are not caches that could hold trade items. Those should always be weather proof no matter what time of year it is.)

--Marky

I just drove by Edgewood Park in Redwood City and noticed that beginning July 20th the park is closed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays due to budget cuts! :D There are quite a few caches in that park so now I guess you will have to plan accordingly!

Edited by Sierra Hikers
I just drove by Edgewood Park in Redwood City and noticed that beginning July 20th the park is closed on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays due to budget cuts! :D There are quite a few caches in that park so now I guess you will have to plan accordingly!

I was just there last week and had noticed that but had forgotten to post about it. Thanks for posting the note here.

How can you close the out-of-doors due to "budget cuts"? What do they stop supplying - sunshine?

Although this is probably legit, it sometimes is not. "We're closed due to budget cuts" can also mean, "go yell at the county supervisors until we get the money we want."

Closing a small city park due to budget cuts is curious and suggests politics.

Although I am not familiar with Edgewood, most parks can operate just fine for one day without an onsite ranger. Perhaps a "hike at your own risk" notice is in order such as are used on beaches without a lifeguard. Might be different if the park in question has a heavy useage and calls for a law enforcement role. As an aside, my father, a teacher who worked for the state park system during the summer, often commented on the difference between "enforcement" jobs and "interpretive" jobs. Many rangers join because they love the outdoors and then get stuck in more of a law enforcement role. This was certainly the case where my dad worked on a recreational lake policing boating, loud parties, disputes, etc.

Gate closing, toll collecting, interpretive programs, maintaining order, etc are important parts of our park system but most of us here can enjoy the outdoors in the smaller regional parks just fine without oversight.

/Lefty

Edited by KennyHannahJacob

So yesterday I did the new woods road caches. I wasn't sure about the density going in, but the actual experience was good. What I think made it work is that they were on an uphill slope. The caches really both 'pulled' me uphill and gave me breaks as I climbed. I think on level ground the spacing would have to be increased, perhaps to .20 or .25. Conversely, if you're populating a steep slope I would try packing them in as close as you can.

I really appreciate the work that went into these. Kudos!

Closing a small city park due to budget cuts is curious and suggests politics.

Yeah, or perhaps legalities. BTW, Edgewood is a San Mateo county park.

Based upon my experience in the park, there has been very slight ranger presence for a long time now. If there were some incident in a "closed" park as opposed to an "open" park with very spotty coverage, it might make a difference for the park district in court.

I think that closing is extreme. A warning should be sufficient, but it's a commentary on our times.

Hopefully this means that the park district is concentrating their efforts, and that we'll see more rangers (in their educational and interpretive role) on the days that the park is officially "open".

Matt

By the way, it would appear that someone is on the verge of crossing the 2000 find line.

I had a great time caching with him and his son Sunday - hope to be able to do so again sometime. It's a good thing he only got one flat tire or they might still be out there!

....and they have crossed the finish line! dgreno is over 2000 and digitalfish is at 1000! Congratulations both of you! ;)  ;)  :D
Way to go dgreno and digitalfish!!!

:D  :D  :D ...and congrats to you too...WoW....;)  :D  :D

Sorry we missed it, but we wuz out cachin'

Crossed the 2000 plateau yesterday but the geocaching gods made it more difficult than I would have liked.

On Sunday, after a fun day caching with Walruz and TeamAlamo, I saw that I was sitting at 1999. (Ended that day with a flat destroyed tire but that's another story.)

On Monday, I decided to go for "Spheres" (GCJVZ5), a nearby puzzle-multi from i_think_we_are_lost. "lost" does some pretty clever stuff so I thought this would be a good one for the quasi-momentous occasion.

It's an 8-part multi. Got one through seven quickly and easily, looked over the clues, cracked the code, found the sorta-ambiguous coordinates for the final and then hit a wall. No real idea of what to do next. When the clues don't fire any neurons, you can hallucinate and make lots of assumptions about what they mean. Thought about it for a long time, played with the nav system in the car, looked at maps but came up empty. Gave up on this one for #2000.

Next went to "Mad Mathesis" (GCJQ1E), a nearby 4-part multi-math puzzle cache. A great FTF post by "lost" summed up a bunch of issues with this cache but I thought, what the heck, let's go get it. Bad idea. Found (with some problems) the first three parts, got the coordinates for the final, did my math problems and headed off to grab it. Nothing. Couldn't find it. Out of the blue, Forman called me to see what was up and I found out he was 10 minutes away, so I told him to come by and add another set of eyes to the problem. Still nothing. Still 1999.

Ended up going to "Flying Ace" (GCJY1X) for #2000. Almost got skunked on that one too but just as I was about to bail, I decided to take one more look and there it was. Flirted with two more almost-DNF's later but eventually found them. Ended the day with 2002 caches and a bruised ego.

But still, a bad day geocaching beats a good day working.

Dave

It looks like there are about 10 cachers that are over 3000 now. We (Joani and I) continue to cache at the same rate we always have. Some other people are more obsessed that we are and will be passing us by soon. ;) It looks like some people's stat lists have become too active and dynamic to maintain properly (the ones that require manual ordering). I wonder when (if?) the "opt in" stats will be completed. Sure, it's not a competition but it's still fun to watch the numbers.

--Marky

Hi All.... I just got back from a vacation in Kauai and am happy to report I got a FTF , my first ever out-of-state. This cache was a challenge, coords that were off by more than a 1/10th of a mile, and well it was hidden in a way that made it a tough find. Thanks to all of you for putting me thru 'geocaching school' here in the bay area, I don't think I could have done it without you.

Alakai Views GCHZNR

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e3-325e417e5d08

Edited by Maverix

This probably isn't relevant to most of you, but I know a couple of cachers were interested. Word Wars is showing at the Spangenberg Theatre, 780 Arastradero Road @ Foothill Expressway, Palo Alto.

Friday 7/16: 4:30pm

Saturday 7/17: 12:30pm, 3:00pm, 7:30pm

Sunday 7/18: 4:15pm, 7:20pm

I'm not sure what the remaining show times are.

http://www.spangenbergtheatre.com/

Five star virtual: Count the number of times I appear in the movie.

humph. I still haven't done San Bruno. If you see anything about which days it's closed, please post.

This happened to libraries too. My local branch library went from being open every day to only 2 days per week.

The posted article has a picture which says "PARK CLOSED TUES-WED-THUR effective July 20 2004"

I also haven't done the San Bruno cache yet.

Congrats to the newest Kilo-cacher. That's quite an accomplishment.

On another note, is the San Jose pizza event still on for Saturday? I'm juggling my schedule for this weekend, and I want to make sure I can attend if it's happening, but if it's not then I can schedule other things...

On another note, is the San Jose pizza event still on for Saturday? I'm juggling my schedule for this weekend, and I want to make sure I can attend if it's happening, but if it's not then I can schedule other things...

What San Jose Pizza Event? I don't see one on the calendar. Should I post one? Where did you want to have it?

Also, don't forget about the Fremont one on Sunday.

--Marky

Beckerbuns suggested we have one back on July 1 in this forum... but I think she is going to be away then as it turns out, and no event was scheduled in any case.

I am interested... Marky- do you want to do one (if not, I would be happy to). The original thought was to do something primarily for all the cachers down in the Cambrian/Almaden area (Round Table at Camden Plaza was suggested).

How many would be interested?

I should be able to make it. Wife and kid too. But if it's not a good weekend, rescheduling is ok with me as well. I'm sure we'd get more people if there were more notice and an event cache, but I'm up for whatever.

I can't make the Fremont event, I have a friend we're surprising for his birthday that day. :P

I'll post the event tonight. Does 7:00pm sound okay? I can always change the time if that is too late or too early. I picked 7:00pm because I start getting too hungry if I go much later than that, but I don't want to waste too many valueable daylight caching hours. :o

--Marky

The cache TNLN, I Don't Think So #1 by Jimswim may have its days numbered.

The city of Dublin has voted to tear down the community center that is very near the cache and probably destroy the cache location. The building has extensive mold damage and it is easier to tear it down and build a new one. No date was given in the article. Thare are no plans drawn up for a new one yet, so it may be a ways off before it is gone.

Edited by Wacka

Howdy Folks,

I hardly post but something unusual has happened. Somebody left a poor idea of a joke in my cache called "Why?"

I am not familiar with the "herb" but I did recognize the reefer papers. It could be this dried plant is from a nearby tree but even so, this kind of joke is a bad idea. I am astonished muggles found this. Even more curious, I found a rusty shovel nearby that I had not seen before. (I have no idea what thats about)

In the meantime, I am thinking I should shut the cache site down and move it to an entirely new location six miles away. Can I change the coords, or should I resubmit for a new approval?

By the way, I left a Jeep TB there last night but I may move this cache by 5:00 today.

Cheers,

GeoWomyn_SF_CA

PS: "Why" oh "Why?" do people do this ? :o

Actually, the placing of illicit substances by a muggle sort of fits the theme of the cache, eh? At least they left the cache in place...

If I had a mischievious muggle aware of one of my caches, I would probably move it, at least far enough that they would not find it again easily (not 6 miles).

Given where I'm pretty sure it is (I've been saving it), you could probably get away with just relocating it at the cache site - there are plenty of potential hiding places there, and that's what I would do. When I looked at the area I decided the best spot was out at the edge of the tree line rather than further inside. Once it's moved anyone who goes up there at night will assume it's gone. AFA herb goes, I can't imagine anyone continually restocking your cache with it. It wasn't muggled. Move it a little first, you can always move it a lot later.

Good idea! I "think" I could do that. The only thing is... I now have the heebee-gheebies. This week-end I encountered my first snake :o

I found it at Bleh Blob

Blech. Blob. Blob.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon planting my next series of caches at Mission Peak. *Why* is it wherever there is a good spot for a cache, there is a good spot for a snake? I actually encountered another snake but this time I didn't poke it by accident! *shiver*

I guess it's not okay to have an event cache one day away from another event cache in the same general area. So, are people interested in having an informal get together still (7:00pm at Round Table: N 37° 15.679 W 121° 55.750)?

--Marky