SF Bay Area geocachers

I'm about to take the plunge and by a new GPSr and need some advice...

You probably want the "GPS Units and Software" forum instead of a regional one. There's a ton of info there.

FWIW, in early April I upgraded to a Garmin 60C from my old Garmin III+, and there's no way in heck I'd go back!

Anyway, my last unit which I've used on hiking and caching trips for nearly three years was the bare bones bright yellow E-Trex.  I'd like an upgrade to a better quality screen, downloading and hopefully place names with greater than 7 characters but I don't want to spend more than $250.  Walkie Talkie features, built in altimeters and mapping are probably out but they're frills for cachers anyway.

Lefty,

If you ARE going to stick with Garmin, I want to mention that I like my eTrex Legend -- I upgraded from yellow eTrex to that in February (Valentine's Day present). It has the features you mention plus you can add maps. The only problems with Garmins in general and eTrexes in particular is the crummy antennas. Nurse Dave has a basic Magellan and it has the great quad-helix antenna that the upper level ($300+) Garmin units have. Plus maps etc. The resolution isn't all that wonderful but you really can't beat the price (~$100) and the lock that puppy can keep, even in heavy tree cover, that neither of my eTrexes can.

Garmin has a neat comparison chart on their site, and I think Magellan has something similar on theirs. I've found that the best prices come from Amazon, and though you'll have to wait a little longer to get your unit, at least the shipping is usually free.

About GPSes disappearing in a household with kids... I had that happen with the original GPSr that I was using when I started geocaching, a Garmin III (very nice external antenna, by the way, but they don't sell them anymore). It was borrowed from someone, and I felt really badly about misplacing it. For several MONTHS I went without geocaching before I finally sprang for a yellow. I still haven't found that III and I have moved twice. I think probably the kids took it and left it somewhere (!?).

Anyway good luck with your shopping. Hope the geocaching withdrawal is not too bad. <_<

Edited by beckerbuns

Thanks for the advice on Magellan antenaes - For a Geocacher who likes the shady woods this sounds pretty important. I've got a bid in on a Magellan Meridian for $150 at an E-bay auction that ends in a couple of hours. We'll see if I get it.

The Amazon advice was good. They have a Magellan Meridian Gold for $199 right now. This is BELOW the price they show for used Meridian Golds (?) ! I'll pick this up if the E-Bay auction doesn't turn out.

This of course is a GUARRANTY that I'll find my ETrex tomorrow but one way or another I'll be Geocaching by the end of the week.

Any last thoughts on the Magellan Meridian will be appreciated.

/Lefty

Edited by KennyHannahJacob

I'll make this my last equipment post and thanks for putting up with my travails!

I got the E-Bay Magellan Meridian w/ car adapter and PC Cable off of E-Bay. Hopefully I'll be caching by this weekend. My parting question - the Meridian has a 2 MB map vs he 16 MB on the Meridian Gold. Any advice on how to update the std. version for California mapping? Do I need to buy the $149 Map Send Topo software or is there a cheaper option?

Thanks!

/Lefty (who is happily anticipating new hardware)

My Magellan SporTrak Pro went out a couple of months ago and I went back to my old yellow eTrex. It about killed me. I agree that the Magellan holds a lock much better in trees. The averaging feature is also a vast improvement on Garmin. After you've been in an area for awhile, the accuracy gets better and better with the SporTrak. I can't read the Garmin screen - it's just too small for these old eyes without my reading glasses, whereas the SporTrak has a nice big screen with big fonts and big arrows. I can also customize the screens on the SporTrak Pro - not so on the yellow Garmin. Another major factor is the buttons. The big concave rocker button in the middle of the SporTrak is super. All those hard round buttons on the Garmin have my fingers aching after entering a few waypoints in - and I hate those drop down menus with the numbers in reverse order. My Magellan was fixed without having to send it in - I just cleared the memory and downloaded the new firmware straight from the website. Oh yes, the fact that I can see my current coords with the Magellan but not the Garmin is antoher big selling point. You have to mark the spot with the Gramin then switch screens to see the waypoint.

The biggest pain on it is the battery compartment. It is really hard to get open. The little screw that holds it on had become loose and I had to spend many fretful minutes looking for it on the ground when I dropped it. The flange that the screw moves through became bent so that I couldn't close the battery compartment until I got home and used an awl to reopen the screwhole and bend the flange down again. The little plastic chassis that holds the batteries tends to stick when you try to slide it out, so you end up having to unscrew the screw a distance that you THINK is far enough to disengage from the threads (but don't go too far or it'll fall on the ground) then you tug at the battery chassis. If it doesn't come out you don't know if you haven't unscrewed far enough or it's just sticking, so you keep unscrewing a little more then yanking a little harder until the screw falls in the leaves or the whole compartment finally comes flying out. Cavil, cavil. I'm hoping the Magellan engineers will read this. Really, though, that's the only flaw, and it's a very minor one.

I got the E-Bay Magellan Meridian w/ car adapter and PC Cable off of E-Bay.  Hopefully I'll be caching by this weekend.  My parting question - the Meridian has a 2 MB map vs he 16 MB on the Meridian Gold.  Any advice on how to update the std. version for California mapping?  Do I need to buy the $149 Map Send Topo software or is there a cheaper option?

Hi there,

Nurse Dave has the Map Send software. He also upgraded his Magellan with an SD card that allows him to put several PQs on it at once. I should tell him what we're discussing in this thread so he can get on here and put in his $.02. Anyway, it sounds like you have made a wise decision. If I had it to do all over again, I'd've gone from yellow eTrex to Magellan something instead of to eTrex Legend. I love the map resolution and some of the other features on the Legend, but the sat lock SUCKS unfortunately. :ph34r:

Hope your new GPSr arrives by the weekend!!

Edited by beckerbuns

My first Garmin, a GPS40 about 10(?) years ago, had the simple built-in non-helix antenna. That was my last GPSr without a helix antena and external antenna capability. I consider both essential.

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now :ph34r: ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now :D ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

I am pretty sure that Nurse Dave is out there today. :ph34r:

I am pretty sure that Nurse Dave is out there today. :ph34r:

Thanks! Now I feel like a kid stuck in piano lessons while seeing other kids are playing outside. :D

Speaking of Nurse Dave, my new cache should get submitted to go live today (who knows how long approval may take though) and it should help solve a problem I sa that he had on a cache hunt the other day....

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now  :D ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

I am pretty sure that Nurse Dave is out there today. :D

Nurse Dave should enjoy Snowman in July. We hid it very much "Nurse Dave Style". It's one of the few recent ones we've hidden up there that is a bit more of an adventure to get to. There's even some poison oak to navigate! :ph34r:

(Hey, there's new frog smilies? Nobody told me.)

--Marky

I'll make this my last equipment post and thanks for putting up with my travails!

I got the E-Bay Magellan Meridian w/ car adapter and PC Cable off of E-Bay. Hopefully I'll be caching by this weekend. My parting question - the Meridian has a 2 MB map vs he 16 MB on the Meridian Gold. Any advice on how to update the std. version for California mapping? Do I need to buy the $149 Map Send Topo software or is there a cheaper option?

Thanks!

/Lefty (who is happily anticipating new hardware)

You do need to buy mapping software. You can get Streets & Trips or the Topo one. Having bought S&T myself I would go with the Topo. In fact I may end up buying that one too anyway. And you need an SD card to load the maps onto. The software will tell you how that works. Plus you will be able to have several (realistically thousands) PQs on there so you can be ready to cache where ever you are.

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now  :ph34r: ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

I am pretty sure that Nurse Dave is out there today. :D

Nurse Dave should enjoy Snowman in July. We hid it very much "Nurse Dave Style". It's one of the few recent ones we've hidden up there that is a bit more of an adventure to get to. There's even some poison oak to navigate! :D

(Hey, there's new frog smilies? Nobody told me.)

--Marky

Dang man! I missed a few! All I can think that happened is some of those got approved after my PQ was sent yesterday. I was able to get the ones farthest out on the route though, so my trip back won't be so far. Nice variety in those I found though. And a nice hike. Passed a guy on a bike out by the cemetaries and he was surprised to see another person.

I am pretty sure that Nurse Dave is out there today.  :ph34r:

Thanks! Now I feel like a kid stuck in piano lessons while seeing other kids are playing outside. :D

Speaking of Nurse Dave, my new cache should get submitted to go live today (who knows how long approval may take though) and it should help solve a problem I sa that he had on a cache hunt the other day....

Oooooh? Is that the where in the heck is this friggin bike trail problem? :D I got help with that, but if it's out there I'll wait and grab em all.

Got back from Pennsylvania a few days ago. I was able to hit a couple of C.C. Cooper Agency's caches and in another cache, even found one of his keychains. See below. Man, three of the caches were in a forest, well off the trail. Everything was damp and the mosquitoes were out. Hadn't seen poison ivy in many years so I had to be sure not to touch anything with three leaves. The brush was so thick in areas I was sure I was gonna get some. But so far so good. Knock on wood. Glad to be back in CA!

1088329001241_keychain.jpg

Oooooh? Is that the where in the heck is this friggin bike trail problem? :laughing: I got help with that, but if it's out there I'll wait and grab em all.

That's the one... You already got one of the two nearby caches but the one that gave you (and me when I first went) trail problems is very close to one of the waypoints, like a bonus cache you can grab while doing the multi.

Hey, some of you guys mentioned event caches close to the South Bay...

Just to let everyone know, the next BADGES dinner (#4) is on the schedule and set for August 15th in Redwood City (middle of the Peninsula). This one is more of a order-your-own-food dinner rather than a pre-prepared buffet meal. Lots of choices for meat and non-meat eaters. Just follow the link on the BADGES #4 page to get to the menu.

You can visit the page here. Hope to see you all there!

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now  :laughing: ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

Yeah, I might head up there on Saturday. I almost went this morning, but the website was down; so I couldn't get any of the coordinates.

Edited by kablooey

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now  :laughing: ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

Yeah, I might head up there on Saturday. I almost went this morning, but the website was down; so I couldn't get any of the coordinates.

At this point, I'm planning to be at the Wood Road parking lot at around 0900 Saturday morning if you - or anyone else - wants to join me. I'll be sure to wait for anyone who lets me know that they'll be there, but feel free to just show up.

Here's a picture from one of the TBs I logged, it shows my Jeep in that same parking lot so you know how to find me:

9ffe802b-1b14-4f8c-9310-6b8209a955c6.jpg

On another note, I've been looking at the logs for the new Coleman Ponds cache (where I stepped in the stream this morning) that a lot of names I recognize are commenting on how it's almost in their backyard. ProTechCC and chucklesda were the latest. It's also only about a mile and a half from my place, and WoW lives nearby, and Marky & Joani live close by somewhere, and so on...

Maybe we could organize a locaal pizza event or something? Nothing fancy, I just know it would be a lot easier for me to get to a local gathering after work than it is to get the time for a BADGES dinner that may be an hour (or two) drive away. I suspect the same may be true for others as well.

Comments?

Hi there. I'd been meaning for some time to reply to your message and hadn't gotten around to it.

Nurse Dave and I are in the Cambrian area as well (it sounds like lots of us are). I'd be willing to organize a pizza event for the locals (well, or anyone else who wanted to join us). I'm no good at organizing games, though, so I'd need someone's help with that. :laughing: (hmm, not sure what I think of these frogs)

Looking at the calendar I was thinking perhaps Saturday, July 24... I have a Round Table Pizza in mind that is very conveniently located and would let us reserve their back room. It's at Camden and Union at Cambrian Plaza.

I was thinking that if we do this in July, it would not interfere with the BADGES event in August (which unfortunately I'll not be able to attend).

Thoughts? <_<

Let me know!!

Edited by beckerbuns
At this point, I'm planning to be at the Wood Road parking lot at around 0900 Saturday morning if you - or anyone else - wants to join me. I'll be sure to wait for anyone who lets me know that they'll be there, but feel free to just show up.

We may be heading up to Woods Right in a few minutes (might get up there by 5:00pm or 5:30pm) to get the coords correct on Miner's Junk (and the other two with bad coords).

--Marky

"Nurse Dave and I are in the Cambrian area as well (it sounds like lots of us are). I'd be willing to organize a pizza event for the locals (well, or anyone else who wanted to join us). I'm no good at organizing games, though, so I'd need someone's help with that.  (hmm, not sure what I think of these frogs)"

Now that I've rejoined the Geocaching world (Meridian arrived yesterday!) I would love to meet some of the other Cambrian/Almaden cachers. I might even get some of the eponymous kids to attend. Let me know and we're there if I'm not travelling. /Lefty

WOW! Workerofwood (AKA WoW) hit 1000 today. That's in exactly SIX months folks.

1001 caches / 183 days = 5.46 caches/day!

Wow!

That's a lot of caches "on the way to work".

Placing 35 caches (most with amazing camo) ain't bad either!

Congrats, workerofwood!

Does anyone know what the oldest surviving geocache in the Bay Area is? Are there any from 2000? Under the assumption that they are well hidden in remote locations, I'd like to find some of these old-timers.

I was curious about this back in March and did the research:

--

I thought Born Free was the oldest cache in the area, but I just went

through the first 150 or so caches and found two others that were

older:

Firestone http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC78

Doggie Do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCD2

Born Free http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCD5

These were all placed in late 2000 and are amazingly all still active.

--

This is a nice segway for my new "Old Timer" TB whose goal is to find older caches. It's currently in Doggie Do.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=39365

The "Firestone" cache placed in Oct 2000 claims to be the first cache in the Bay Area but the date is somewhat surprising to me. I started caching in Dec 2001 and there were already several hundred bay area caches by then. None of my cache finds predate this one though so ... Maybe it is!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...63-150da51b8807

From "Firestone"s description ....

Today I placed the first stash in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have named it "Firestone" for reasons that will become evident to anyone that finds the site. Look in the trunk for the goods. Difficulty is 1 to 2, as is terrain. Scenery is a 10 (if that coastal fog has burned off). Enjoy! Update 8/1/2001 - If the shortest route to the cache is taken, the path is quite steep and can be difficult for children to negotiate. The park rangers have also requested that geocachers begin their search from a parking area located at N37 55.135 W122 37.728. A trailhead is directly across from the parking area, and the traipse to the cache from there is easy and relaxing. Thanks.

In his log for the cache Green Acres (who should know) claims it's the oldest active cache in California which should be good enough for me. Geocaching must have exploded in early 2001 because there were hundreds available soon thereafter.

Can anyone refute this claim?

/Lefty

P.S. "Creekside Stash", "IGOR", "Dragon Head Cache", "Survival Cache" and "Rabbit Eye View" are other 2000 caches that are still active. (Stash figures prominently in the descriptions and seems to have been the vogue name back then.)

On another note... Is anyone else planning to visit Marky's (aka "Johnny Appleseed of geocaching") string of new caches in Almaden Quicksilver on Saturday? I'd really like to go earlier (like now :) ) but responsibilities and previous commitments (like placing a new cache) rule that out, grumble grumble...

WeBeDnD, Nostrada, MotorBug and me are meeting at 8 on saturday (gotta get out before it gets hot!) to clean those up. I'll bet we'll run into others...

I thought Born Free was the oldest cache in the area, but I just went through the first 150 or so caches and found two others that were older:

Firestone

Doggie Do

Born Free

Thanks for the information. I've been to Doggie Do, but will have to check out the others. Learning to count in hexidecimal would be useful too! BTW, Born Free is GCD6 not GCD5.

WeBeDnD, Nostrada, MotorBug and me are meeting at 8 on saturday (gotta get out before it gets hot!) to clean those up. I'll bet we'll run into others...

Maybe I should just move up my schedule and meet up with your gang at 8am... After hearing Marky describe Tick House yesterday, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have plenty of other people around for the ticks to consider jumping on rather than concentrating on me. :)

Maybe I should just move up my schedule and meet up with your gang at 8am... After hearing Marky describe Tick House yesterday, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have plenty of other people around for the ticks to consider jumping on rather than concentrating on me. :)

Well, I don't know whether I can get up that early (though I did today). I guess I'll bring my FRS radio and tune it to channel 2, if I can figure out how to do that. I presume you're starting at ST16?

Well, I don't know whether I can get up that early (though I did today). I guess I'll bring my FRS radio and tune it to channel 2, if I can figure out how to do that. I presume you're starting at ST16?

By the way, we hid another cache up there yesterday when we went back to check on the coords of the other caches. Make sure you grab they latest coords for BTC, Treasure Rock and Miner's Junk. (Team Nazgul was about 10 feet from the cache yesterday, but stopped because he was 60 away from the original posted coords, which were off by about 70 feet.)

Joani got three ticks on her yesterday, even though we had sprayed ourselves with deet. Just be sure to check yourselves every time you get back on the trail. Joani only went off trail when we hid "Not Cinnabar" yesterday, so the ticks are apparently hungry there.

--Marky

I thought Born Free was the oldest cache in the area, but I just went

through the first 150 or so caches and found two others that were

older:

Firestone http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC78

Doggie Do http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCD2

Born Free http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCD5

Rabbit Eye View (GC9C) is the oldest I've done. It's farther north in Bodega Bay but makes a great caching trip with Point Reyes along the way.

Yeah, I don't like getting up that early when I don't have to... But it would be nice to start while it's cooler, so I'll drag myself out of bed a little earlier. The park is a lot more pleasant to hike when it's not broiling out.

I'll be parking and starting at ST#16, which looks to be in the middle of the Wood Road parking lot to Almaden Quicksilver. I must have almost parked on top of it yesterday.

I'll tune my Jeep radio to FRS channel 2, although I kind of doubt that the FRS signals will carry far in those hills. I'll try to remember to bring a hand set along as well, in case you show up later. Cellphone coverage is spotty or just unavailable around much of the area.

Attention Garmin 60c(s) owners!

If you use GPSBabel or another application that uses gpsbabel underneath (like GSAK), please support a project to bring USB support to GPSBabel. This will enable superfast transfers of waypoints and other data to your shiny new GPSr.

Robert Lipe (primary developer of GPSBabel) is soliciting donations to purchase a GPS 60c to do the development on. He's halfway there, but still needs help. I've already given, but if you use these programs, give him a hand.

You can read more about the project and how to give money at http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=58972

Thanks.

Quick Note: I'm headed to Ireland (for a day) and the Netherlands for 10 days on a work related trip that will allow time for caching. If anyone has a travel bug that needs a European adventure send me a note and we'll see if we can arrange a pick-up prior to my Monday evening departure. <_<<_< /Lefty (frog smilie's are added because my daughter thinks they're cute!)

Quicksilver Wood's Road feedback request:

Now that a lot of you have had a chance to go up and do the caches that Joani and I placed along Woods Road in Almaden Quicksilver park (along with the others that were already in place when we hid ours) we were wondering what you though of the experience as a whole. Of course, for the first people up there, there were the issues of coords being off on a few of the caches, which is always a drag but is to be expected.

But basically what I'm trying to find out is: Is this level of cache density a good thing? Was the experience made better or worse because of it? Any comments of any type would be welcome. I'm not fishing for complements here (although they are always welcome). I'm looking more for constructive critisism so that when we go to hide our next caches, we take these ideas and thoughts into consideration. Feel free to make comments on specific caches as well as general comments.

:blink: Cache on! :lol:

--Marky

Marky,

It was enough of an incentive to get the usual gang (incl mmp!) to meet up and head out for a nice hike on a wonderful day. This is why I love geocaching. I have to admit that I never switched my GPS on and we took turns in signing the caches. With six GPS pointing the direction, I doubt mine would have made the difference.

I think we had to stop a bit too often, which interrupted the flow of the conversations, but I am not complaining. As long as we all agree to stop placing caches in areas I have cleaned out, of course. :-)

This was my third hike up there. The caches are of very good quality and some are even living up to your evil standards. Wow certainly tries to steal this position of yours, but I am sure we will see more surprising caches from both of you.

All in all a great day and it never hurts to add a few caches to the list. Thanks for you efforts, Marky.

I definitely enjoyed it, but in my case it's hard to separate the high-density trail experience from the fact that I was out caching with a great group of people, because both were firsts for me. I do think that the two facets complemented each other very well. In retrospect, after the hike I gave much more thought to the group dynamics and the individual personalities than the unusual nature of the cache trail.

My gut feeling is that the high-density trails should remain few and far between, but I'm not totally certain about that.

Speaking of that hike, at We Dig Cemeteries my warped brain suddenly thought of an appropriate description for that hide... “Marky-avellian” God knows how you spell it.

Nostrada may not have had his GPSr on (Boulter suggested that Nostrada likely had in fact sold it) :( but he didn't flinch from zipping up the hill to Cemetery Trees or the direct vertical route to High Ridge. He was also excellent company, which to me is more valuable than an FTF.

We traveled something like 6.7 miles that day and I got a dozen finds, and then two days later I hiked the other side of the park for nearly 9 miles and didn't find (or go after) any. :(

I really enjoyed those caches and going out in a big group is always fun.

I would probably say I'd prefer them to be further apart, like 1000 feet. I felt like we'd just get going before we stopped again, so the hike felt kinda jerky. It might also be easier to get them approved that way. :-)

They were all good hides which is hard to pull off when trying to pack them all so close like that. Sometimes there just isn't a good spot. But I could see how a less experienced hider might try to do this and just end up throwing film cannisters all over the place.

I do appreciate that you placed them all at once. While it's a great park, it gets tedious to go back to the same place over and over again. There are plenty of new places I haven't been yet that I'd like to check out. I know no one is making me do them, but my obsessive personality says I have to find all the caches closest to my house first. :-)

Joani and I have our eye on another trail in a different park. Workerofwood is thinking of helping us populate this trail. It will probably take a month or so of leapsignalling (get it?) to fully populate the trail. My plan is to space the caches about 0.25 apart. The loop is about 12 miles long, by my estimation. Hiding them all at once is out of the question, of course (you should have seen us carrying all that metal when we hid the Woods Rd caches.)

--Marky