SF Bay Area geocachers

Re: What to do after 1,000 finds...

Fy and I will be there sometime in the next month or two. For whatever reason, we always had the 4-digit milestone in the back of our heads. So, to be totally honest, now that we are close it is on our mind more than just a little bit - it's hard not to notice 1,000 is nearby when logging find #952.

Since I think the chances of us hitting 10,000 caches is pretty darned remote... I think after that 1,000 milestone, we won't really have numbers on our minds. Our logs have indicated the cache # since day 1, but that's just because that's how we log our finds - sort of a habit.

Other than wanting to reach this 1,000 mile-stone our caches have pretty much come down to these types...

1) Puzzles. We love these, although I will admit to feeling a bit burnt out with them lately (no complaint about the quality of puzzles implied, I just feel tired right now.). Going to the cache is sort of a (required) afterthought.

2) Good multicaches. We just like multis. Our favorites have been the ones that have taken us on tours of local parks.

3) Cache series. We are both "completionists" in that once we start a series, we have a goal to finish it at some point.

4) Caching when travelling. It's a great way to see the lesser known parts of a town - often to vistas only the locals know about.

5) Caching with friends. It's a great way to just be with some other folks, doing something, while allowing talk/chat/joke which movies and such don't allow.

6) Just feel like caching today. Some days, you just want to go caching.

Note that none of the above are "goal" oriented, except the cache series... and those are usually very short term goals... (for example, we want to do the Ardenwood caches..)

I guess what I am saying is that after 1000, we will still cache, but without numeric goals... Perhaps, with a bunch of friends, we may say "let's try to find 15 today! Or 25! Or whatever" but that then becomes a group activity more than anything...

-Jif

1) Puzzles. We love these, although I will admit to feeling a bit burnt out with them lately (no complaint about the quality of puzzles implied, I just feel tired right now.). Going to the cache is sort of a (required) afterthought.

Pardon? Watermark :mad:

The reason I say "(required) afterthought" is because, for me, the moment of greatest reward in solving a tough puzzle cache is finding that "37" and "121/122" come out of the analysis telling me I am on the right track to solving the puzzle. Usually, the "joy" at finding the cache related to a puzzle typically does not match the "joy" at solving the puzzle itself (there are wonderful exceptions).

This is not a knock on the caches related to puzzles - just simply a comment that the puzzles are often so good that they provide a great joy, in and of themselves, and I would have been happy to solve them, even if there was no cache associated with them.

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy

Pardon? Watermark :rolleyes:

The reason I say "(required) afterthought" is because, for me, the moment of greatest reward in solving a tough puzzle cache is finding that "37" and "121/122" come out of the analysis telling me I am on the right track to solving the puzzle. Usually, the "joy" at finding the cache related to a puzzle typically does not match the "joy" at solving the puzzle itself (there are wonderful exceptions).

This is not a knock on the caches related to puzzles - just simply a comment that the puzzles are often so good that they provide a great joy, in and of themselves, and I would have been happy to solve them, even if there was no cache associated with them.

-Jif

There are exceptions to this though, if you are finding any of Lamneth's caches... He has a nack of making the hide fit in with the puzzle theme, and does such a good job on the camo and containers. His puzzle caches are a complete experience.

--Marky

:D This is a new subject, what happened to the geocaches in Alum Rock Park?  I'll probably go hiking there this weekend & was doing my usual cache check and it came up completely empty.

Don't let me spoil the fun and please keep it a secret, a new one was placed there just today.......................... :o

:o This is a new subject, what happened to the geocaches in Alum Rock Park? I'll probably go hiking there this weekend & was doing my usual cache check and it came up completely empty.

I noticed that too. Didn't Kablooey have a cache there? Or at least I remember him going there at night. Maybe it was to look for one.

When Nurse Dave moved here I sent him over there to put a cache there but he ended up putting it somewhere else.

I know there was severe fire danger there the last couple of years and the park was closed. Were the caches pulled then?

:D This is a new subject, what happened to the geocaches in Alum Rock Park?  I'll probably go hiking there this weekend & was doing my usual cache check and it came up completely empty.

I noticed that too. Didn't Kablooey have a cache there? Or at least I remember him going there at night. Maybe it was to look for one.

When Nurse Dave moved here I sent him over there to put a cache there but he ended up putting it somewhere else.

I know there was severe fire danger there the last couple of years and the park was closed. Were the caches pulled then?

I don't think there's an official policy of removing caches in Alum Rock, they just seem to get trashed. Even one as remote as A for Alum and Quick Cache just disappeared. Up the Creek was removed as the area was being landscaped, say the logs. Rangers had signed the log well before I did, and left paper badges. The park does get awfully heavy use. I hope the new cache is hidden well. The virtual part of A for Alum is a nice gentle walk though the main part of the park and is fairly educational.

spider3

Just wanted to drop in say "Hello" the cachers that I saw driving South on 85 yesterday around 4:00PM in a silver SUV with an oval GPS sticker in the back window.

I was coming home from work when I saw the tell-tale sign of a fellow cacher.

I may not have been recognizable as I was wearing more presentable clothing than just my loin-cloth :) .

Anyway, just wondering who I saw........

That would have been us not geocaching but headed home from Stanford Hospital where the better half has been taking radiation treatments for what seem like forever.

There are exceptions to this though, if you are finding any of Lamneth's caches... He has a nack of making the hide fit in with the puzzle theme, and does such a good job on the camo and containers. His puzzle caches are a complete experience.

--Marky

I second the sentiment. I did Counterparts last weekend and it was an incredible display of craftmanship from the first puzzle to the final cache stage. Now if I could just figure out Entre Nous. :)

Hi all,

I'm looking to meet other women to go geocaching with in the Bay Area, esp. the Peninsula.

Me - female, 33, psychologist. I've got some physical limitations that necessitate taking frequent stops when walking, and I don't do hills all that well, but I do love the exercise and open air sunshine that 'caching provides. So, if you don't mind a slow pace, or if you are also someone who needs a slow pace, we might be good geocaching companions.

Since no one else seems to have noticed. . .

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...07-f3ca471ed311

May 2 by TeamJiffy (1000 found)

B)B):( #1000 :DB):D

Found at 1:56PM. We are glad that our 1000th cache turned out to be one overlooking the ocean near a nice secluded beach during a restful vacation weekend away from home. Discovering places such as this is what geocaching is all about! We didn't trade anything here. Thanks for the cache!

Congratulations!

bykenut or boulter - who will be next? workerofwood?

Since no one else seems to have noticed. . .

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...07-f3ca471ed311

May 2 by TeamJiffy (1000 found)

<_<:ph34r::D #1000 B):D:D

Found at 1:56PM. We are glad that our 1000th cache turned out to be one overlooking the ocean near a nice secluded beach during a restful vacation weekend away from home. Discovering places such as this is what geocaching is all about! We didn't trade anything here. Thanks for the cache!

Congratulations!

bykenut or boulter - who will be next? workerofwood?

I just came over to this forum to post the same thing. :-) For some reason these notifications of new posts don't work very reliably.

I'm pretty sure bykenut has got #15 sealed up with less than 50 to go. At my current pace, I'll be up there at 1K sometime in June. Frightening.

We've had similar news down here in Monterey recently. Two deer kills out in the Asilomar Conference Grounds. State Parks (that administers the Conference area), tries to pass it off to Fish and Game. Fish and Game say, "not my problem". Probably going to end up with a dead poodle one of these days (or worse), and then it becomes a Sherrif's Dept problem.

I was considering putting up a night cache (had my fire tacks and everything), until I got this news. Somehow I don't think cachers would enjoy a nocturnal run in with a mountain lion <_<

This was in Mappa Mundi's log for the English Camp cache in Almaden Quicksilver the same day I (and Boulter, and Nostrada) logged it, a few weeks ago:

"On our way back from our 8 mile walk, we heard some rustling in the bushes. We didn't stop to look. About 10 minutes later a mountain biker rode up from behind us and said he had seen a mountain lion with something in its mouth. Was that what we heard? We'll never know."

4 days earlier, Marky had logged another mtn. lion sighting for Quicksilver Overlook.

Remind me to wash the smell of kitty treats off my hands before I go back to that park again... <_<

I'm looking to meet other women to go geocaching with in the Bay Area, esp. the Peninsula.

Me - female, 33, psychologist.

Drats, I was hoping for some caching combined with free outdoor psychoanalysis... not worth getting a sex change though. <_<

--Marky

I just heard on the news that there have been two mountain lion attacks on horses near Stanford Univ.

One was at Webb Ranch (on Alpine) about a week ago) and the other was this weekend near the Dish.

HOLY COW! Now mountain lions are riding horses? That's not very sporting of them. There's no way I could outrun a horse and would have a harder time fending them off with my El Diablo hiking staff. <_<

--Marky

I was considering putting up a night cache (had my fire tacks and everything), until I got this news.  Somehow I don't think cachers would enjoy a nocturnal run in with  a mountain lion  :ph34r:

When night caching, it is much safer if you are in a group. Mountain lions rarely attack groups, unless the mountain lions are on horseback... <_<

--Marky

Mountain lions are all over. They normally stay away from people, unless the people are small and tastee looking and running. I don't think you fit their standard prey profile, waka. As far as deer attacks go, that's what mountain lions eat. What's the problem?

Good recent article: Urban Animal

I'm pretty sure bykenut has got #15 sealed up with less than 50 to go. At my current pace, I'll be up there at 1K sometime in June. Frightening

I'm aiming for my 1000th on May 22nd. Scary. No special reason for that date other than it fits into my schedule.

Kinda interesting using Boulter's cool Bay Area Leaders webpage when you graph the find projections for me, Boulter, Motorbug, and Workerofwood on the same graph for the next 3 months. The graph puts me at the end of May for 1000. Then it's neck and neck for boulter, motorbug, and workerofwood in mid to early July.

Kinda interesting using Boulter's cool Bay Area Leaders webpage when you graph the find projections for me, Boulter, Motorbug, and Workerofwood on the same graph for the next 3 months. The graph puts me at the end of May for 1000. Then it's neck and neck for boulter, motorbug, and workerofwood in mid to early July.

The projections use the overall average of caches/day since you registered with geocaching. So if you increase or pick up your pace, it won't reflect that very well. I'm thinking about doing 30-day averages or some other line fitting instead to make them more accurate.

Kinda interesting using Boulter's cool Bay Area Leaders webpage when you graph the find projections for me, Boulter, Motorbug, and Workerofwood on the same graph for the next 3 months.  The graph puts me at the end of May for 1000.  Then it's neck and neck for boulter, motorbug, and workerofwood in mid to early July.

The projections use the overall average of caches/day since you registered with geocaching. So if you increase or pick up your pace, it won't reflect that very well. I'm thinking about doing 30-day averages or some other line fitting instead to make them more accurate.

My total for the first 3 days of this week is: 1

If I'm going to hit 1000 in July, Marky is going to have to get busy hiding caches! :mad:

It's getting to be a LONNNG drive to get to the unfound ones...

I'm just excited to likely hit 3-digits this weekend !!! :mad:

KeenPeople says my pace is .7 per day, so maybe I'll have enough in a year to get on boulter's board...

(of course I'm already #8 in Iowa state finds...)

Edit: the Iowa afterthought that nobody will envy, particularly if they've been to Iowa.

Edited by BuckyDef

June 5th is National Trails Day, REI is teaming up with EBRP to clean up the trails in Garrin Park. Just thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to check their caches in the park afterwards. Of course it might be a good time to hold a event in some other park with the intent to help clean up the trails also (I'm not holding another event, I was late to the only event I have held :mad: ).

Poo.  There's a get-together event in Scotts Valley the same day.  What to do?

Let's see: EBRPD doesn't like cachers. Scotts Valley caches and cachers rule. Seems like an easy choice. :P

Seriously, I have no plans to waste my time helping a park district that won't let me use their lands in a completely harmless, mutually beneficial way. There are plenty of park districts that can use help. I will help the parks that allow me to geocache on their lands. Maybe I'm still bitter about my cache being removed... :P

--Marky

Let's see: EBRPD doesn't like cachers. Scotts Valley caches and cachers rule. Seems like an easy choice. :bad:

Seriously, I have no plans to waste my time helping a park district that won't let me use their lands in a completely harmless, mutually beneficial way. There are plenty of park districts that can use help. I will help the parks that allow me to geocache on their lands. Maybe I'm still bitter about my cache being removed... :lol:

Does anyone have an update on what is going on with EBRPD anyway?

I'm planning a trip to Europe this summer and would like to find someone in the South Bay who has the Mapsource Metroguide Europe CD (that's the Garmin software) and who would let me download a couple of map segments to my GPSr before leaving (leaving around June 20th). If anyone can help me, contact me via Geocaching email. Thanks!

Scotts Valley caches and cachers rule. 

--Marky

Don't make me blush :lol: !

That's quite a compliment coming from a cacher with your experience Marky, thanks.

I was looking forward to welcoming all of y'all into the Scotts Valley area, but my wife just booked our anniversary trip to Hawaii for 5/31 - 6/9. Guess I'm not going to make it.... :bad: .

Hard to complain, though - I'll be in Hawaii and caching as well! There are quite a few caches I've got my eye on and I plan on leaving a California GeoCoin or two over there...

If anybody has a TB on them that wants to head to Hawaii, bring it this way before Memorial Day!

Hope to see you (and many others) again soon.

BTW, if anybody has plans to attend the event and wants some advice on some good caches to do before/after feel free to e-mail me. I promise to not only recommend my own! :o

Edited by Kealia

I signed up as the duly self appointed representative of the Central Coast Geocaching Association B) I got a nice email back from Nate saying that preference would be given to organized groups, unorganized groups, prominent cachers, and riff-raff. Hmmmm.... I wonder which group I'm in :mad:

If I do make the cut, I'll bring a load of them to the Summer get together up in Scott's Valley. I'll post a note on the Event page.

There is a new trail coming to Pleasanton this fall.

In today's paper there was an article that a new 3.5 mile hiking trail will open in the fall around the new Callippe Preserve Golf Course in the south part of Pleasanton. About 1 mile is already done and it will be 40-60 inches wide and will be natural surface (dirt- no crushed stone or asphalt. The golf course is located near Happy Valley Road and Alisal Rds (I can't find a map for it)

Look forward to finding caches there this fall!

There is a new trail coming to Pleasanton this fall.

In today's paper there was an article that a new 3.5 mile hiking trail will open in the fall around the new Callippe Preserve Golf Course in the south part of Pleasanton. About 1 mile is already done and it will be 40-60 inches wide  and will be natural surface (dirt- no crushed stone or asphalt. The golf course is located near Happy Valley Road and Alisal Rds (I can't find a map for it)

Look forward to finding caches there this fall!

A wonderful opportunity. Since you are local, please place 34 new caches (1/10 mile apart). Leave the two ends for Marky to place secret trailhead caches. Thanks :D

Hasn't been a lot of activity in this forum for a while, so I'll go ahead and throw out this reminder:

The 3rd BADGES (Bay Area Dining and Geocaching Society) Dinner will be held on June 6th in Novato, CA.

Visit the page here: BADGES #3

If you are planning on going, and haven't yet signed up, please do so now so the organizers can plan on the correct amount of food.