SF Bay Area geocachers

The seach results would be more useful to me if the Area Code and ZIP Code searches defaulted to returning Not Found caches only [&F=1].

For some reason I've stopped getting notifications of new posts, otherwise I would have responded to this a while ago.

No problem to add &f=1. It's done. Enjoy!

Jeff

It's yet another Geocaching web tool!

My new GPS Coordinate Grabber allows you to grab (or "scrape") GPS Coordinates from any web page, then download them as a LOC file into your mapping software and your GPS receiver.

Grabbing coordinates using this tool is faster and more accurate than entering them by hand.

Geocaching.com allows you to download coordinates, but only the primary coordinates for a cache. If there are other coordinates in the description such as coordinates for parking or more coordinates for multi-caches, then you probably have to enter them by hand.

Check it out at http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/

Please send feedback/bugs to me before I release it to a wider audience.

Looking forward to meeting many of you tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Jeff

Boulter, I love it. Not sure I will use it often, but for these Multis such as West Side Story this is just the right thing! Thanks.

Man, you should see the multis down at Disneyland. The person has the .loc files available, but I couldn't get them to work. I had to hand enter about 60+ waypoints.

--Marky

Man, you should see the multis down at Disneyland. The person has the .loc files available, but I couldn't get them to work. I had to hand enter about 60+ waypoints.

--Marky

Option 2: Only hunt the two real/single stop D-Land caches. That's what I did while mostly just enjoying the park. Of course, there's that one farm multi in Bug's Life which is my favorite area. And that movie is a real scream! Huh!? :blink::D

Hey, I had fun at the BADGES thingy. Where else can you find a bunch of geocachers looking happy and relaxed, as opposed to lurking and skulking around bushes and playgrounds? Thanks fellow cachers, and a special thanks to the organizers!

We're glad you enjoyed it! And also glad so many people showed up. The next one will be in the East Bay in March, so keep your eyes open for that event cache.

I think I heard Woof! and maybe BPSnake or Squints talking about a Picnic in San Francisco sometime this year... anything more concrete on that? Maybe a April or May timeframe?

Hey, the Second Cannonball Run (Travel Bug Race Across America) is starting up soon. It's time to get your travel bugs tags ordered!

The racers are due on 3/15/04. I've talked to N.Y. and worked out a care package shipment deal from this area. If you get your races to me by 3/12/04, I will have them shipped to the organizer for FREE. (That's no shipping charge to you).

For information on the race, goto the Cannonball Run Forum. :lol:

Anyone seen the new PocketQuery pages that showed up tonight? Now you can store up to 20 separate queries, although you are still limited to 5 running per day. I think this feature is really spiffy! Plus, you can easily modify the days a query is running by clicking its checkbox right on the summary page. They've also modified the Query editing page, which, seems to me, to be better too.

One thing I'd LOVE to see, which Watcher can do for you, is a way to limit Pocket queries by a set of bounding coordinates to eliminate caches that are outside your target square. If the website could do that, it wouldn't have to send out such big queries sometimes.

Anyways, kudos to gc.com for this nice improvement. :lol:

Edited by ChrissySkyking + Blaze

Just an FYI in case there are still folks left interested in locationless caches:

Somewhere In Time --- GC769F

Today's San Jose Mercury News reports about two time capsules to be "launched" in San Jose Fore Station #1 to celebrate its 150th anniversary. One will be opened in 25 and one in 50 years.

I am sure this can be somehow used for the above mentioned cache ;-)

Anyone going to Los Angeles soon?

I have a TB (Dru's Nuts) that wants to get home to its owner (Dru Morgan) in Los Angeles soon. I don't have a trip planned, so I was just going to drop it off in Es Effo TB Hotel, unless anyone else can take them sooner. Drop me a line if you can take them.

Help Dru get his nuts back! ;):)

Edited by Woof!
I have a TB (Dru's Nuts) that wants to get home to its owner (Dru Morgan) in Los Angeles soon. I don't have a trip planned, so I was just going to drop it off in Es Effo TB Hotel, unless anyone else can take them sooner. Drop me a line if you can take them.

Woof!

I can get Dru's nuts to him if you haven't found someone yet. We visited Dru in December and plan on going again soonish.

Edited by beckerbuns

Okay, I need some help. On our way back from caching today (we went the long way), as we passed by the quarry out by Montebello/Stevens Canyon, I saw this creature up on the hill. What IS it??? People in #geocache have variously said goat, mountain goat, llama. It was definitely bigger than those goats at the zoo, but then, they're pygmy goats, so who knows. It was on a steep hill. Anyone have any idea?? I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when someone tells me...

MVC-032S.JPG

MVC-033S.JPG

One thing I'd LOVE to see, which Watcher can do for you, is a way to limit Pocket queries by a set of bounding coordinates to eliminate caches that are outside your target square. If the website could do that, it wouldn't have to send out such big queries sometimes.

I agree, limiting PQs with bounding coordinates would be a very useful feature.

In the mean time, you might try GPSBabel. In addition to converting between file formats, GPSBabel filters waypoints within a bounding rectangle -- or any polygon for that matter. I use it to filter my 500 wpt Bay Area file to get Peninsula caches which it then loads directly to my GPSr. As GPSBabel is primarily command-line driven, I store the necessary parameters in a BAT file making this a very simple process to execute when my PQ's come in.

Unfortunately, through, it won't shrink the size of the emailed files.

Okay, I need some help.  On our way back from caching today (we went the long way), as we passed by the quarry out by Montebello/Stevens Canyon, I saw this creature up on the hill.  What IS it???  People in #geocache have variously said goat, mountain goat, llama.  It was definitely bigger than those goats at the zoo, but then, they're pygmy goats, so who knows.  It was on a steep hill.  Anyone have any idea??  I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when someone tells me...

Becky:

1. Sounds good, lets arrange for a hand off of Dru's Nuts.

2. Goat.

Edited by Woof!

I have just taken over the locationless cache "Cache on the Barrelhead" and posted three new targets. I have also introduced my version of bonus points, and there is a prize associated. Please look at GC4802 if you are interested in that type of cache. If it catches on I will have more targets and prizes on a regular basis. If it is nothing but a pain to run, then I'll go back to the 1/1s in the ivy!

Hi all,

Long-time SoCal geocachers here.:D

Susan's got business in Newark Feb. 23-24 and I'm tagging along to put her company-paid rental car to good use while she earns a living. Our flight arrives Monday (23rd) in OAK at 8:00am and I'll need to drop her off at the office down in Newark before being set free. We catch a flight Tuesday at 3:00pm for Long Beach.

We're not cache marathoners. A huge day for us is 6-8 caches, with a record 13. And we don't really care about hunting/finding every cache in a given area. But covering alot of ground to get a few ''prime'' caches in scenic spots is not a problem.

Any recommends? I kinda want to get across the bay to San Francisco first, then work my way back. Maybe a loop trip from the Newark area clockwise or counter-clockwise---whichever works best.

I pretty much know my way around the Marin penninsula and the city of SFO from several past (pre-geocaching days) visits to do the Dipsea race and the Escape From Alcatraz Triatlon. But I'll be covering new ground in the Oakland/East Bay/Fremont

areas.

Thanks, in advance, for your help/suggestions. :blink:

K&S:

I think I'm worken :blink: but Monday evening I'd like to catch up to you (unless you've done enough daycaching and have that spousy stuff to do). FYI, Coyote Hills in Newark will keep you busy for a morning; it's about the distance of a good run or a short- moderate bike.

BTW, if one of those High Desert things post: I'll go!

Hey Ben!

I think meeting up with you would be great. Thanks for the offer. I'll send you an email with my home & cell #'s and we can hack out the details.

As far as the high desert adventures go... I got an email from those Canucks last October saying they had some more stuff planned for down our way, but nothing has materialized yet---as far as I know.:blink:

I assured them that our own SoCal Admin was an ally (they don't seem to get much cooperation from the Canadian admin) who would most likely approve anything they submitted down this way. Having company on another trek like those would be most welcome. I never saw a soul on the last two wilderness excursions. :D

Kev :~)

Hiya Kevin and Susan,

I'd have to agree with Ben that Coyote Hills would be a great place to cache. There are currently 11 caches in the park, however, since one of them is a 7 stage multi, there are probably around 17 waypoints you'll get to visit. The park juts up from the neighboring marshes and flatlands offering some excellent views of the bay. The trails are a mix of paved bike trails and dirt trails. Free parking is available at the first stage of Ohlone Sanctuary. If you park at the free parking, it adds about a mile walk each way to the parking area inside the park ($4 if the booth is manned). Given that the day you are here is a weekday, I'd bet the booth won't be manned this time of year. Here is a pdf trail map of the park. To tempt you more, here is what the park looks like this time of year (it's not always green like this):

PkCtrHl.JPG

--Marky

Thanks Marky and WalruZ!

You're both very convincing with your recommendations and the cool photo of Coyote Hills Reg. Park. B)

Travelling all the way across the bay IS probably a bit ambitious, given how little time I'll have. Maybe I should stick around the East Bay and get more trail time as opposed to drive time. :D

I'll come prepared for SFO, but will only head that way as time allows. But I'd love to ''kiss the dog'' AND hear ''the sounds of The Bay''... :lol:

Maybe I should let Susan go home without me and I'll stay up there for a week or two!!!

:D:D:D:DB)

Hi all.

I'm a relative newbie here, but would love to find out who my local geocaching people are (I'm in Milpitas). I usually go cache-hunting with my 5-year-old son, but wouldn't mind teaming up with other folks to visit some more challenging caches. And could someone please tell me about BADGES? I'm guessing Bay Area...something something something.

Thanks,

CDNinCA

Hi all.

I'm a relative newbie here, but would love to find out who my local geocaching people are (I'm in Milpitas). I usually go cache-hunting with my 5-year-old son, but wouldn't mind teaming up with other folks to visit some more challenging caches. And could someone please tell me about BADGES? I'm guessing Bay Area...something something something.

Thanks,

CDNinCA

If you search the word BADGES on the Hide and Seek a Cache page you will find the links that answer that. BADGES is a group of local cachers who like to arrange event caches (bashes) to talk about geocaching. If my memory serves it stands for Bay Area Dining and Geocaching Enthusiasts Society. They meet in different parts of the Bay Area, and I think the next one is in the East Bay so you should check it out. I'm not part of the crew, although I really enjoyed the one in Sunnyvale. Read the logs on that one to see who attends, etc.

But I'd love to ''kiss the dog'' AND hear ''the sounds of The Bay''... :D

Maybe I should let Susan go home without me and I'll stay up there for a week or two!!!

:D:D:D:lol::D

"Sounds of the Bay" is not to be missed, if you ever are in the S.F. area. It is one of our all time fav traditional caches, a location that we may never have discovered if not for geocaching.

I'VE GOT THE SAN JOSE AREA GEOCOINS ...

If you ordered Geocoins from Bobkat and had them shipped to San Jose, I've got them (and boy are they beautiful). I'll be distributing them today. Contact me at kloosley@sbcglobal.net or see this new event cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bb-06f35f7ffe30

You can also try my cell 408-504-0800 and suggest a way to hook up in San Jose.

Kristine ... Kreebelle

:D<_<B):blink::D:blink::blink:

I have lived in N.Cal. all my life and have never visited Mt. Diablo.

I would like to take a drive there this spring to see the sights and find a few caches.

Would someone please share a way point that would make a good center to start planning my search? Is there a cache at the top? Can we drive to the top?

Thank you,

Alan GeoSharks

I have lived in N.Cal. all my life and have never visited Mt. Diablo.

I would like to take a drive there this spring to see the sights and find a few caches.

Would someone please share a way point that would make a good center to start planning my search?  Is there a cache at the top? Can we drive to the top?

Thank you,

Alan GeoSharks

Yes, you can drive all the way to the top: N37 52.893 W121 54.824. No caches up there, but a real novel benchmark, some fantastic views and a small museum. In general, the the terrain ratings for the caches on the mountain are strenuous or even more strenuous. Contact me directly and I'll help you plan it.

Yes, you can drive all the way to the top: N37 52.893 W121 54.824. No caches up there, but a real novel benchmark, some fantastic views and a small museum. In general, the the terrain ratings for the caches on the mountain are strenuous or even more strenuous. Contact me directly and I'll help you plan it.

TeamAlamo,

Thank you for the info and the offer. You may be hearing from me.

I'll use the coords to start my planning.

Thanks again! Alan

Coordinate Distance Calculator

Yet another minor annoyance at the Geocaching website has led me to create another tool which I think you all might find useful - a coordinate distance calculator.

This tool will help you calculate the distance between two coordinates or a single point and a set of coordinates. I built this on top of my GPS Coordinate Grabber to make it easy to check if a Locationless (Reverse) Cache has already been found. Inputs can be in several formats:

GPS Coordinates (like N 42 59.458 W 71 27.826 or 42.990967 -71.463767)

Geocaching.com Waypoint (like GCHAC1)

A URL of a page that includes waypoints (like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=105310)

All valid waypoints are parsed and their distances from the origin calculated. The results are displayed with the closest ones first.

Additionally, you can map or download the destination coordinate(s).

http://boulter.com/gps/distance/

You know the drill: try it out and let me know how it works for you and if you have suggestions for improvement. Additionally if anyone has any code to calculate the heading from one coordinate to the other (preferably in PHP), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jeff

Edited by boulter

San Jose Mercury News

Travel Section Feb/22/04

A nice article about geocaching, with several names - which I do not recognize - talking about some nice geocaching offerings such as a cruise as well as some local caches in Rancho San Antonio. Several pictures, including a GPS shot of some GC4EA8, which I find odd. I thought the cache might have been Motorbug's Y in the road.

Just a heads up, the article is not online yet.

Okay, I need some help. On our way back from caching today (we went the long way), as we passed by the quarry out by Montebello/Stevens Canyon, I saw this creature up on the hill. What IS it??? People in #geocache have variously said goat, mountain goat, llama. It was definitely bigger than those goats at the zoo, but then, they're pygmy goats, so who knows. It was on a steep hill. Anyone have any idea?? I have a feeling I'm going to feel dumb when someone tells me...

MVC-032S.JPG

QUOTE]

Hi Becky,

As others have stated that is a goat. Specifically it is Cedric the Goat, master of his domain. He eats anything so beware when having a pic a nic lunch!

He is harmless but a bit nervous around humans. Looks like he was eyeing you up for a meal. Watch it, he is vicious with the head butt..

Muley :smile:

I just read the log to a new cache GCHPCT (The Professors Cache) where it is stated that a park ranger told two cachers that all geocaches were to be removed from all East Bay Regional Parks. Does anyone have more info on this. If this is the case this is huge.

We were having dinner with Marky and Joani a couple of weeks ago when he showed us an e-mail he received from this East Bay Regional Park supervisor saying that all caches in the East Bay Regional Parks will be immediately removed (by the park personnel, apparently...they KNOW where to find them! :) ) because of supposed harm to the envirnment caused by cachers, which is a real joke.

Anyway, maybe Marky can post, as I'm sure he knows much more about it. Has anyone reported a cache missing yet? And who can we take this up with?

Marky suggested that they wouldn't find puzzle caches, but, you never know. Maybe they've got a whole new "Cache Abatement Team" out there solving all puzzle caches to make sure none end up in their park system.

Edited by ChrissySkyking + Blaze

There is a forum thread dedicated to this discussion now. It includes the email that was sent to me (see Hemlock's post). From the information I've seen so far, the Hayward Shoreline park supervisor is the only person actively removing caches so far. He mentioned the removal of caches as being an unofficial policy and EBRPD is working on an official policy. I'm not sure why this supervisor doesn't contact the cache hider directly and request that they remove the cache.

Anyway, we should probably discuss this in depth in the other thread.

--Marky

OK, Time for news from Vegas...

Take a look at GCHH5A Las Vegas Here We Come!! by cachefan, the page has been updated. Also here is the breakfast in case you haven't seen it yet GCHPRM HIGH ROLLER BREAKFAST EVENT 2004 by TEAM 360 and here is the dinner GCHRT7 Milestones by FishPOET. I think it will be a fun weekend, but we might get wore out just keeping up with the events.

Be well, be safe, and cache happy,

DR Webe

It's my guess this will be the ultimate in a Geocaching Get-a-way(point). I'm going to see about going and thought maybe other Bay Area / CVC cachers may be interested as well. At least... check out DR Webe's cat on his cacher bio. :rolleyes:

MVC-032S.JPG

QUOTE]

Hi Becky,

As others have stated that is a goat. Specifically it is Cedric the Goat, master of his domain. He eats anything so beware when having a pic a nic lunch!

He is harmless but a bit nervous around humans. Looks like he was eyeing you up for a meal. Watch it, he is vicious with the head butt..

Muley :rolleyes:

Definately a goat! If not a domestic than a feral goat.

With all the problems of caches on EBRPD land this pic brings up another issue of the problem. Not only is there extensive damage from cattle on EBRPD land but out in Sunol Regional Wilderness there are feral goats and PIGS! These domestics gone wild (thats what feral is) are reeking havoc on our public lands and the district want to ban geocaches?!?!?! Somebody's priorities are a little screwed!

Sorry, nonnatives are a thorn in this biologist's side.

Peace!

Definately a goat! If not a domestic than a feral goat.

With all the problems of caches on EBRPD land this pic brings up another issue of the problem. Not only is there extensive damage from cattle on EBRPD land but out in Sunol Regional Wilderness there are feral goats and PIGS! These domestics gone wild (thats what feral is) are reeking havoc on our public lands and the district want to ban geocaches?!?!?! Somebody's priorities are a little screwed!

Sorry, nonnatives are a thorn in this biologist's side.

Peace!

goat28.jpg

I can assure you that this particular nonnative has been dispatched :rolleyes:

You could call it "Extreme Geocaching". This morning's story in the SJMN of a terrorist in France blackmailing the French rail. He/she's giving GPS coordinates of the bombs if payment conditions are met. He/she did a "goodwil test" by giving out one set of coordinates. I can imagine a whole group of French policemen walking around a train station with their GPS until one shouts "Je l'ai trouvé!".

The story is at: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rld/8103055.htm

One would imagine that French Geocachers are having a hard time of it. Logically, if the terrorists have coordinates of the bombs, they got them by using a GPS. Thus, anyone seen strolling about consulting a GPS would be of interest to the police. Lord knows we don't need another thing to worry about with this sport...