SF Bay Area geocachers

Talk about having too much time on their hands...who designed that badge...pretty darn impressive work of graphic art!

Why THANKS!, Green Gables! :D I made that logo myself (Chris of Chrissy_Skyking & Blaze)! (Got the badge from the internet, of course). Added the rest using Paint Shop Pro 8. Every time I look at it I go.... "Wow, I did that!?"

We can't wait to have the first BADGES get together! Looks like a lot of people will be there!

Hi -

We'll be hunting the Return of the King cache when we get back to the Bay Area on the weekend after Jan 1 - prob. week of Jan 10...

Phoo-ey. Released and announced when we head out of town! But we are *really* looking forward to finding it!!

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy

Rainy Day Virtual Cache

Since this wet weather has put a damper on a lot of caching lately, I'd like to recommend doing A Day at SteinHart's (GCG0DD). Besides the cache, there are other neat exhibits to check out (helps to keep you out of the rain). This may be the last opportunity to log an easy virtual cache. Effective January 1, 2004, the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park will be closed while undergoing relocation/renovation.

If interested, the Academy is open 9 am – 9 pm with FREE ADMISSION on December 29-31, which includes the Planetarium Sky Shows (on a first-come, first-serve basis). Oh, and of course, collect all of the smashed pennies designs while you're there. ;)

Happy New Year - Bay Area. I trust everyone met their 2003 goals!?! I has happy to reach 300 but didn't do so in the manner I was planning... 5 Puzzle Caches across the Miles Stone. Turns out I forgot my paperwork and didn't have time to drive an additional round time to Pleasanton. So I still have a few solved puzzles to hunt.

Congratulations to KennyHannahJacob on making their goal.

Latest News:

Our goal is 100 caches by New Years 2004. That would make it roughly a cache a week since starting this absurd but strangely compelling hobby.

(56 by 7/31)

(73 by Sept 16)

(100 by Dec 31, 2003 - We made it!)

Now for a new goal ... Say 200 by Jan 1 2005?

Slow and steady wins the races. :unsure:

Now, I'm off to another adventure. Happy New Year.

Happy New Year - Bay Area. I trust everyone met their 2003 goals!?!

Bill:

I met my goal! It's a paltry one, but when one caches with kids one can't be too picky! :unsure: My goal was to get to 200 by Christmas and I met the goal quite a while before that. I'm at 230 now. I'm thinking of shooting for 500 by next Christmas but that may be too lofty of a goal!!

Happy new year to all!

Thanks for the props Green Achers!

Like Beckerbuns we typically cache as a family so 2 or 3 cache's in a day is a good haul. (I'm amazed at some of you 30 cache per day folks! :) ) We're happy with our 100 cache total but will try to step it up to two per week over the next year. It's good to be in the Bay Area where we can make our 200 cache total without leaving the county! ;)

And wow ... to quote Eeyore "Thanks for noticin' ".

/Lefty (Dad to Kenny,Hannah,Jacob and now Kathryn too. (We'll stop there!)

P.S. I was a central valley FFA kid growing up so I loved the picture in your profile.

... well, except for the book cache in mountain view. It's on a golf course and I keep getting thrown out. But I always combine it with something else that works.

I don't recall the cache being ON the golf course. I seem to remember it being just off the walkway a bit. Maybe you are approaching it from the wrong direction. :(

Hi, my husband is going down to Mountain View / San Jose for 2 weeks of work. He will probably not get much time off but I'm lending him my GPSr for the duration. He has mentioned it to his co-workers down there but they don't cache ... they had never heard of it. My question is which caches are the most worthwhile to do. ... If he had the time he'd try for them all!

Thanks for any suggestions

fireflyfan - freezing up here in Ottawa.

I originally had posted this on the Central Valley Cachers forum and they kindly redirected me your way. Yup this is a lot like how I cache - I always need to decrypt the hint! :rolleyes:

Hey SF Bay Geocachers,

I've got a new tool for you to try. It's called Geocaching Quick Search and it makes searching for just about anything on geocaching.com easier and faster from a browser or a mobile phone.

Check it out at

http://boulter.com/qgs/

And read more about it at

http://boulter.com/qgs/info.html

I'm interested in your feedback before I announce it to a wider audience.

Thanks,

Jeff

Works...maybe.

I typed in my own name and used the auto choice first. Didn't work.

I typed in my own name and used the user profile choice. WORKED.

I then typed in the name of another cacher and it brought my own profile back up.

Is it just me, or are there bugs. I like the idea of a quick-search though!

Ron

which caches are the most worthwhile to do

Well, at the moment it's raining and 50 degrees, sort of chilly for us folk.

If he's in shape, "Man on a Mission" (5 hours up and back total) gives him an incredible view of the bay area. (the cache isn't much to look at tho). "Wait until Dark" is about an hour drive from MV, but gets very high marks from everyone - and you can only do it in the dark, an advantage to someone working during the day. The LOTR caches are supposed to be good if you're into that sort of thing, just search on "two towers", etc.

I280 is sort of the dividing line between "hike to" caches (south of) and "drive to" caches (north of). Castle Rock Park is great - center on "Rock Top Hollow" and look at caches in that area.

Really, there's gotta be at least 1000 caches within an hours drive of MV. You may never see him again.

Very nice search tool.

I tried the same process as Ron with the names.

Mine worked, tried Rons and mine came up again.

I removed the Username profile search since it didn't work as I expected. If anyone knows how to formulate a URL with a username on it to get to the profile page, please let me know. The username found and hidden are still there though.

Note that Auto will never get you to a username list because it assumes that random text is a cache keyword. Or at least that's the default now.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jeff

I made a .loc file out of the Ritz Camera waypoints (see this forum topic) in the Bay Area, for anybody who is interested.  The so-called "East Bay" locations are all in Marin County.  Who knew?

I think this kind of contest is much more "sane" than the Magellan one. This way, it's not just the FTF'ders who has a chance at the big prizes. Too bad there isn't a physical cache to find as well...

Edit: The contest requires color prints. I guess I won't be entering after all...

Edited by Marky

Now it's on and now it's off.

So, East Bay will be happy to know a new code cache is on the way. The Green Achers Code Cache (GCHH14) has been submitted and pending approval. I guess there'll be a bunch of Marin County cachers driving to Livermore!?? East Bay?? Marin? I love it. :unsure:

Edited by Green Achers
The contest requires color prints.

Interesting, they say this...

To be eligible to participate, each entrant will be asked to submit a 4x6 color photograph along with an official entry form.

of course, they don't define "color photograph. One assumes they assume a color print. but, suppose I print out a digi-pic on my inkjet. Is that, or is that not a color photgraph? Again, i suppose they would probably say no. That being the likely case, i'm with marky. I'm not going to get a bunch of enlargements just to enter a random drawing. Lottery tickets are a much more convenient bad investment.

Does anyone know if we can recreate an archived cache in the exact same spot? We want to unarchive the "Don't mess with the Army" cache. We have a new cache container and want to put it back. We don't see an un-archive button so can we just create a duplicate?

Thanks

(put out 5 new caches this weekend - keep you eye out for them)  :huh:

Cache Resurrections require an act of god. In this part of the world, he goes by the name HEMLOCK and he carries the power of life or death to a cache. Kind of like Ceasar with the thumb up or down but that was always final. And HEMLOCK is a lot easier to work with.

Good luck.

Just read in today's paper that a mountain lion was sighted in the hills east of Dublin. :rolleyes:

The article said that one was seen on 1/12 near the end of Dublin Blvd. and a half eaten deer was found on 1/19. This may be the one seen near the county jail in October. Remember to be careful. Don't cache alone, make noise while caching. don't run if one is seen, and in general be aware.

The two closest caches to this area are:

Change is Good (GC31D7)

and

Bog , Log, and Pollywog (GC5797)

Since I usually cache alone, if a group is interested in finding these, please contact me, I'd like to go with you.

I've got a new tool for you to try. It's called Geocaching Quick Search and it makes searching for just about anything on geocaching.com easier and faster from a browser or a mobile phone.

Jeff --

I'm having great fun with your new tool. I've used it for a couple of weeks and have a suggestion. The seach results would be more useful to me if the Area Code and ZIP Code searches defaulted to returning Not Found caches only [&F=1]. When I search using an Area Code or ZIP, it's usually to locate caches I haven't found. On the rare occasion when I wanted to see found caches I'd use a direct query on the name or use the GC search tool.

Thanks for creating and sharing this. Those of us who are technologically-imparied really appreciate cool tools like this.

-- Bill

Just read in today's paper that a mountain lion was sighted in the hills east of Dublin. :huh:

The article said that one was seen on 1/12 near the end of Dublin Blvd. and a half eaten deer was found on 1/19. This may be the one seen near the county jail in October. Remember to be careful. Don't cache alone, make noise while caching. don't run if one is seen, and in general be aware.

The two closest caches to this area are:

Change is Good (GC31D7)

and

Bog , Log, and Pollywog (GC5797)

Since I usually cache alone, if a group is interested in finding these, please contact me, I'd like to go with you.

While there are a lot of lion's in the area, the main problem with a sighting is it's a possible sign of a sick cat. As life gets tough, it can become less inhibited and enter into populated areas. A few years ago, a cougar entered LLNL. Really! It was quickly detected and encouraged away when it couldn't produce proper identification.

On the other hand, a better reason not to cache alone is the more likely case you'll cross paths with a psychopath that thinks someone's tracking you because you have a GPSr and it's reporting your location.

Personally, I normally cache alone because there's no one else interested in the adventure. I realize there's lions and nuts and such. I just make an effort not to feed any of them. So far, I've only had four close calls and they've all been two legged nut cases.

I end up caching alone also, sometimes its a spur of the moment thing and so I just can't get anybody to go with no advance notice. I actually did Log, Bog and Pollywog alone and it IS kind of creepy hike to do alone, specially the way I did it which was to wander around for about 1/2 an hour without getting any closer to the cache. One thing about mountain lions, I read an article where it was said that they tend to hunt when the deer are active, early morning and around dusk. Oh well, gotta go!

Yeah, I cache along too - nobody else I know is unemployed, and I'm too much of a slowpoke anyway. Nobody wants to stand around waiting for me to wheeze up some hill somewhere. I gave out lots of pepper spray for xmas - perhaps I should make another purchase and keep some for myself this time.

Jeff --

I'm having great fun with your new tool. I've used it for a couple of weeks and have a suggestion. The seach results would be more useful to me if the Area Code and ZIP Code searches defaulted to returning Not Found caches only [&F=1]. When I search using an Area Code or ZIP, it's usually to locate caches I haven't found.

Just wanted to add my ditto to what Bill said about the tool. It's very handy in the field, and it would be nice to add the &f=1 to the URL. :huh:

--Marky

Yeah, I cache along too - nobody else I know is unemployed, and I'm too much of a slowpoke anyway. Nobody wants to stand around waiting for me to wheeze up some hill somewhere. I gave out lots of pepper spray for xmas - perhaps I should make another purchase and keep some for myself this time.

Yeah, I cache along too - nobody else I know is unemployed, and I'm too much of a slowpoke anyway.  Nobody wants to stand around waiting for me to wheeze up some hill somewhere. 

I have cached alone... At night, too. Crazy, I know. Sometimes I just want to cache without the kids and I can't get anyone to go with me. But I've never gone anywhere remote by myself. So maybe I'm somewhat sane. <_<

Since I  usually cache alone, if a group is interested in finding these, please contact me, I'd like to go with you.

I frequently cache with others, not to say that I don't enjoy caching by myself. IMO, both are fun in their own ways. Even when I'm solo-caching, I never really feel TOTALLY alone... I've got up to 12 "birds" telling me and my Geeko where I'm supposed to go! <_<

Wacka, I'm interested in hiking to those caches on a weekend sometime. I'll let you know!