SF Bay Area geocachers

Joani came up with the initial design, and her brother came up with a lot of the artwork. We can't wait to make it into our own custom smashed penny die. Once we do this, we'll be leaving smashed pennies as our sig item.

--Marky

"

RE: SMASHED PENNY

Well, I got smashed in Amsterdam (that town is designed for it)

I almost smashed my hire car in Toulouse but it got towed instead (the police gave me a break, don't park in a vegatable market)

While walking around the Medieval Walled City of Carcassonne in France I happened across a coin smashing machine and thought of the Marky and Joani smashed penny project. So I coughed up 1 Euro and smased a .05 Euro coin in the image of that old place. When I finally get back to the Bay Area (hopefully next week) I'll drop it off in one of their caches. How about a smashed coin cache? Like Marwag says, could be near railroad tracks.

A fine way to lose some loose change (Word police might relax over that usage)

Monty

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Anyone heard from Hemlock in the past few days or had their caches approved since Thursday (July 31)?

Don't have a cache to be approved (just yet) but had asked Helmock a question and have been waiting for a response.

Just wondering if my email got through (using the Geocache email bot).

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

A review of the data would show that almost everytime I post anything here, this thread goes dormant. I bathe, even in France. I carry a poop bag (taking Marwags advice regarding large four hooved mammals) and get hoplessly lost and don't care.

I was beginning to feel insecure.

On a lighter note, how does one post a digital picture on this thread. Euro Caches have a different look to them.

Is it Me? (Moi?)

Monty Le Mule (I'm Irish anyway, so..)

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

_This thread is so quiet lately_

Fy guesses that it has to do with many of the people who normally contribute having discussions in ClayJar's chat room, vs. using the forum.

What are other people's thoughts?

Hmm. That's interesting. I guess we do have a lot of long, involved discussions in the IRC channel (irc.slashnet.org #geocache), but mostly there's all that sexual innuendo and taunting of the New England cachers.

No, I'm only partly kidding. icon_smile.gif

There *is* a large contingent of Bay Area cachers in the channel at any given time... Last night I was goaded by Kablooey and NurseDave (Portland, OR) into going for my first FTF (Edith's Other Trunk), and I got it! So these folks aren't half bad. icon_smile.gif

Through the channel I also met my sometime-caching partners, team wwp (Jay, Caine & Becca). We've gone out on caching expeditions a few times now.

AND the last weekend of this month, Ricky and I are going on a road trip to Portland, OR to visit with NurseDave and find some caches (and deliver some smashed pennies to trade at the smashed penny cache up there).

So my long rambling post goes to show that the IRC channel can change one's life for the better. Though I do miss the discussion in this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

AND the last weekend of this month, Ricky and I are going on a road trip to Portland, OR...

Ooh! Ooh! Beckster! I have a TB that needs to get to Portland ASAP. Can you take it?

See? I do _so_ post here!

Yes, Fiz, I can take it. Any chance of you being at Chuck E. Cheese tonight for the low-key re-birthday party? I will be there, but late -- 8ish -- if anyone is there. If not, I can get it from you sometime before we go. We are leaving town for OR on August 30 (and we'll arrive there in 26 days, 3 hours, and 38 seconds).

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

[This message was edited by beckerbuns on August 04, 2003 at 03:00 PM.]

So what's the deal? Why has the flow of new geocaches in the Bay Area dried up recently? Is it a problem getting new caches approved, or is everyone burned out on placing new caches?

I'm seriously considering archiving a couple of mine and placing new ones, just so that there is something new for people!

quote:

So what's the deal? Why has the flow of new geocaches in the Bay Area dried up recently? Is it a problem getting new caches approved, or is everyone burned out on placing new caches?

I'm seriously considering archiving a couple of mine and placing new ones, just so that there is _something_ new for people!

There are some people who haven't found every single cache in the bay area yet! Don't archive anything just because it's old, I would hate to miss out on something just because I haven't been doing this as long (or as hard) as some people. Although...if you really want to archive something you can archive all your puzzle caches! icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Happy Halloween

quote:

I'm seriously considering archiving a couple of mine and placing new ones, just so that there is _something_ new for people!

I have one urban ammo box submitted for review - 24h and counting. My first, so please be kind. San Jose area.

And plans for the second, a micro with puzzle are under way. So I am trying, my friend!

... where is it?

quote:

What? Fizzy and Hemlock don't have enough to do?!

Maybe Hemlock should place some caches.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by nostrada:

Not that I am anxious for feedback or anything like this... but - THANKS! This is so exciting. Glad you enjoyed the walk, hopefully the planes didn't upset your fine ears too much.

Noise was not a problem, can you say hunting dog, my human however is still grumbling something about socks and stickers. icon_rolleyes.gif

If there are any other dogs out there that want some cheap entertainment, there is a building nearby that feeds the local creek cats. One good bark and you should see them scatter icon_razz.gif

--marwagsalot

All horses owners MUST carry POOP bags!

I still have 5 unclaimed Ammo cans from my bulk order if anyone is interested in them

QUOTE]

QUOTE]

Same problem over here in the big valley. It could be everyone's busy but the approval process didn't help for a while.

I archived a few caches that needed normal maintance. It would have been easier to fix them but Geocaching appeared so intent on clensing the old rules and getting everyone under the growing list of new rules.

It takes a lot of time to plan and place a good cache. If not approved, you have to return to resolve or abait your hard work. If a problem is something you over looked, that's your fault. But if the problem is the approvers opinion, it just burns you out.

So now, I'm much more selective over placing a cache. And even if I have time to do all the work, I'll only place the cache if I know I can return in the next day or two. Since I rarely have that kind of free time, I stick to hunting.

Bill of Green Achers

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

quote:

Looks like Lee is about to catch Marky... When did we think that was going to happen, anyway?

I'd say the ones to watch out for are DavidT21 & Fisherwoman. icon_cool.gif

Don't forget about Team Dakiba. They are caching up a storm as well. Unless my fever breaks and I start feeling better, Lee might catch us this weekend... Of course, we are very easy to catch, since we have never really been running. Just slow and steady enjoyable caching. That's what it's all about. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

I'm seriously considering archiving a couple of mine and placing new ones, just so that there is something new for people!

Fizzy, we just posted a new one this evening called TarnGCGM07. It hasn't been approved yet and I'm hoping it will before the weekend ends. Got Boots?

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end

QUOTE]

I have two pending - one south of SJ and one in Walnut Creek.

It’s nice to be back...

After 5 week-ends of being at work (the first 3) or ill (the past two), it is nice to be caching again. I found my first California cache since just past Independence Day (but for one on July 28)...

....to those I have dropped-off-the-Earth from - my apologies - things have been crazy!

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

discussions in the IRC channel (irc.slashnet.org #geocache)

So how does one access this IRC channel? I tried pasting this URL into my browser (with and without the #geocache) and got a Connection Refused message. Is this because of my security settings? Is there some registration required?

Rat,

I would suggest you use a real IRC client instead of the web interface. If you should happen to have a PC, MIRC is the way to go:

MIRC Download

once you have installed, you will need to add the server to access the IRC channel:

IRC Server: irc.slashnet.org

Port: 6667

Now give yourself a nick (and an Alternative) and press OK. Then File/Connect and once you are in, you will need to join the channel

/join #geocache

It would be great seeing you there. Drop me a mail if you need help with this. If you have only MACs, sorry, I wouldn't have a clue.

... where is it?

Originally posted by vdbalamo:

QUOTE]

I placed 3 in Castro Valley in July, for August I have two that I plan to place this weekend in Bay Trees/Cull Cyn (Fizzies cache is getting lonely out there since George and Mary archived theirs.)

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Same problem over here in the big valley. It could be everyone's busy but the approval process didn't help for a while.

Just back from 5 days in mammoth so I'm jumping in late. I've NEVER had a problem with the approval process. I know a bunch of places that could still hold caches in the valley but but if I hide one, people complain. The death of caching in the valley has little to do with the site and more to do with the people in the valley.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

I hid the last two branch library micros over the weekend, but they have yet to be approved.

I am planning on placing the final cache, for the new joint MLK main library, on Thursday. Hopefully it will be approved by the day of the official grand opening on Saturday! I will be there, working at the Call Center booth. Anyone who wants to, please stop by to see me. icon_wink.gif

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I know a bunch of places that could still hold caches in the valley but but if I hide one, people complain.

**People complain when a crappy cache is hidden, no matter who places it. Funny thing here though....MANY complaints about certain valley cache placements have come from Bay Area cachers and not from the valley folks.**

The death of caching in the valley has little to do with the site and more to do with the people in the valley.

**When did caching die in the valley? Sure, a few of the original valley cachers have faded off into the sunset, but there is still lots of cache activity. If the upcoming CVC get-together is any indication, I would say things are going pretty strong. Another funny thing...a large number of those attending the event this weekend are coming from areas other than the valley. We must have some appeal! icon_wink.gif

We valley folk are looking forward to meeting those of you who will be at the event this coming Saturday.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

A clarification here on what I said above. When I referred to complaints about valley cachers made by Bay Area cachers, I did not mean that in an offensive way or as a bash on the Bay Area cachers!! When I reread it, I didn't like the way it sounded and figured I better explain myself before someone got riled icon_eek.gif

My point was that there is one particular Bay Area cacher who seems to hold absolutely no fondness for G&M's cache placements (I don't think that's a big secret to anyone who reads logs). Valley cachers haven't been complaining much recently about the cache placements of G&M, or anyone else for that matter.

So, I hope I clarified what I meant there. Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way.

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

I checked Dan Miller's statistics page yesterday and it wouldn't *come up*. Today I did a search for Dan Miller on the forums and found a thread which included this recent entry.

Stat page web host is dead. I sent an e-mail out and here is the response:

Unfortunately, the site has been shut down and the company has gone out of

business. All of our operations will cease completely on 8/15/2003.

Thanks for the interest,

Mike Haboustak

InsideCorner.com, LLC

InsideCorner is where Dan had his stats info stored.

If, for some reason, Dan doesn't get the data up and running somewhere else, maybe it's time for those computer geeks who have given us some other great programs to consider a *mining operation* on Jeremy's database to provide a new view of the statistics.

After all, how will we know which of the bay area cachers hits 2,000 first!? icon_wink.gif

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

InsideCorner is where Dan had his stats info stored.

If, for some reason, Dan doesn't get the data up and running somewhere else, maybe it's time for those computer geeks who have given us some other great programs to consider a *mining operation* on Jeremy's database to provide a new view of the statistics.

After all, how will we know which of the bay area cachers hits 2,000 first!? icon_wink.gif

Ron

I heard John Poindexter has a colorful reputation and is available for any issues related to Total Information Awareness. Maybe we should recruit him? We could then also start betting on the name, date and which cache it will be, using a futures market . . .

The possibilities are endless.

... where is it?

Guadalupe Oak View

I developed the cache cam from this cache, because it had been sitting there full since about April. The photos can be found here.

I was wondering if any of you could help me identify the cachers (and dogs) I haven't yet identified. Thanks! (Be sure to check out the great pic of Marky & Joani with marwagsalot.)

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

How do we know which ones you've already identified?

As it says on the page, if you hover your pointer over a picture that's been identified, you'll see the name of the person and/or animal. icon_smile.gif

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

quote:
Originally posted by Equinox 2002:

I've got a cache that I posted last weekend and it still hasn't been approved.

I know it takes a while sometimes, but this is approaching 5 days. Any suggestions on how to (gently) prod an admin to take action on it?

Thanks,

- Equinox 2002

I would suggest just waiting. The cache isn't going anywhere and people will still be as anxious to find it whenever it pops up.

Approvers are like the rest of us...they have jobs and lives outside geocaching...they don't sit by the computer waiting for our cache page submissions...I least I don't THINK they do. icon_wink.gif

Also, every other cacher and his brother (and sister and mother-in-law) place caches on the weekend and then submit them on ... they all come rushing in to the approvers at the same time. I know, I've been there...approving and submitting caches.

Ron

The summer is rapidly coming to an end and it is a great time to get together before the fall responsibilies creep up on us. The first East Bay Geocachers Pizza event will be at The Pizza Machine in Danville. As this is our first event, it will be a great opportunity to meet many of the cachers in our area and beyond. Please post how many people will be coming.

August 28th, 6:30PM

The Pizza Machine

664 San Ramon Valley Blvd.

Danville, California 94526

East Bay (and Beyond) Pizza

quote:
Originally posted by KennyHannahJacob:

Anyone have "Can't Miss" cache suggestions for the Southern Yosemite foothills area? We love interesting hides and medium hikes with a good payoff. It's time for this ex-Valley boy to see how the Central Valley Cachers work! /Lefty and Kids

You're welcome in the Central Valley. We have a gathering this weekend but may only have 5 seats available. CVC Break-Fest for more info.

By Can't Miss, you're not talking about caches that you can see from your car. Right? icon_biggrin.gif Try Get The Point! and Cache Ninja. You can walk from one to the other. There's other caches near by for bonus finds.

These aren't Southern Yosemite foothills as you requested, but they're not far out of your route.

Bill of Green Achers

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Winston Churchill