SF Bay Area geocachers

Well, do I still count as a noob? I started after reading about GC on slashdot.org - my favorite hangout during the working week. The GPS had to come with express delivery from Amazon.com and I am still waiting for my rebate. Now I am so hooked, my poor young son has to endure the driving around town and being used as the perfect decoy/alibi for some of the more odd caches. I also love the locationless caches, here it clearly pays off when you drive around with your eyes wide open, specially since I am not from here and can not rely on years of expertise on what is out there.

Now I am close to my 100th but very saddened about the fact that once I made some silly noises about the Big Lady cache it went offline. I enjoyed two lunch breaks and a bit over there and still no go. And now it is gone. Dang. What else to use for #100? Yes Way, Jose! is already off my list, that was a challenge as well.

... where is it?

quote:
Now I am close to my 100th but very saddened about the fact that once I made some silly noises about the Big Lady cache it went offline

My human and I are both sure that the bag of herbs that you have around your neck, and the two chickens that gave up their lives, had nothing to do with the problem. icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Go look for the predator!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

--marwagsalot

All horses owners carry POOP bags!

quote:
Originally posted by marwagsalot:

If you are looking for a challenge, this is a good one to go for. There is more of a hint now that before, which makes it a bit more doable. If you want a thrill, go near dusk. There really are some predators that wander in and out of this area and dusk is an active time for predators. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Calling all Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton and Livermore geocachers!

Has anyone seen the newest lifestyle publication in our area, Tri Valley Magazine? I have been in discusions w/ them about writing an article on the local geocaching scene.... creative caches, interesting caching personalities, great locations, etc.

Anyone interested in being featured or recommending areas/caches to feature? I'm open to input and want to send a photographer out to tag along on a hunt or two. Please email me at pamglynn@yahoo.com if you are interested or have suggestions. Thanks! Open discussion here in this forum would be appreciated - always enjoy the meeting of the minds!

Pam

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

Let's hear from the newer geocachers - how did you get interested in this hobby? What are your most & least favorite caches - and why?

I'm still a newbie, having learned about geocaching probably thru a google search (could be that I was just searching for GPS software for my PocketPC). Geocaching seemed perfect for me - I love hiking and I love geeky tech stuff!

I've only done a dozen or so caches so far, and I can't really say for sure what my most/least favorite is. I have my like's and dislike's. I do like United 615, not just because it's in my hometown, but because it's a rather large container full of cool stuff. Even the cache description/logs was an interesting history lesson on such a tragic event. I probably would never have found such a location so close to home if not for geocaching.

Generally, I don't like those *%*#* micros! I have a difficult time finding them. Even the plain ol' 35mm film canisters stump me. I've read about other non-traditional 'evil' micros (placed by individuals who shall remain nameless! icon_wink.gif), so I'm wary about even ATTEMPTING those!

I know I still have a lot to learn and experience. Though this is only my first posting, I have been reading the forums to sort of "catch up" on what's going on with other SF Bay Area cachers. Thanks, everyone, for all the interesting reading. icon_smile.gif

Both GeoROCKS! and Equinox 2002 have sent me e-mail complaining about the tags we've been attaching to travel bugs to aid in their travel. So, from now on we will no longer attach info tags to travel bugs unless we are specifically asked to do so by the bug's owner.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Great Scott!:

Love your new avatar, Marky! Did you design it yourself?

Joani came up with the initial design, and her brother came up with a lot of the artwork. We can't wait to make it into our own custom smashed penny die. Once we do this, we'll be leaving smashed pennies as our sig item.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:
Originally posted by Great Scott!:

Love your new avatar, Marky! Did you design it yourself?

Joani came up with the initial design, and her brother came up with a lot of the artwork. We can't wait to make it into our own custom smashed penny die. Once we do this, we'll be leaving smashed pennies as our sig item.

--Marky

Cool! I hope I'm lucky enough to find one of them.

GS!

...and that's why we don't rent pigs!

quote:

quote:
Now I am close to my 100th but very saddened about the fact that once I made some silly noises about the Big Lady cache it went offline

--marwagsalot

Well, first I didn't realize that you were talking about a cache. Only Marky's comment made me understand. I took the day off, since I certainly couldn't wait until the weekend, dropped the child in daycare and took my SO along. Thanks for the suggestion!

quote:
July 29 by nostrada (100 found)

Woohoo, this would be #100 for us.

In breaking with an old tradition I lefty only a $10 bill from where's george. Good luck for the next finder! (Took the $1)

It did take us a while to get there, since we neglected to read about the suggested parking location and drove up all the way. Only to find out that this might be a tough descent, with this little green thingy being everywhere. Worst thing - I am not reliable at all in spotting it. I will know tomorrow...

Anyway, we relocated, the heat didn't make us wanting walk just too far. The walk was nice and we ended up facing the cave. Some 30 min or so we found the little critter.

The day started with 2 DNF on some Urban Assualt caches, and another DNF (UA as well) later on. I guess the GC gods wanted to make sure that this one stays pure - only one find today, but what a find it was. Thanks for putting this one up and thanks to marwagsalot for suggesting this one. With Marky basically pushing us to do it we dropped the Junior in daycare and took off. The heat got us and we ended up watching Finding Nemo - no worries, we did remember to Junior up.

Great day, thanks!

... where is it?

quote:

Both GeoROCKS! and Equinox have sent me e-mail complaining about the tags we've been attaching to travel bugs to aid in their travel.

Since we're bringing this out in the open, I want to clarify that my biggest complaint revolved around the fact that the travel bug 6-digit ID was included on the new tag which sometimes didn't match the actual tag ID (!!)and also caused problems when it became separated from the TB. I also expressed concern that travel bugs' goals could not easily change if the goal was printed on the new attachment.

A separate non-tag issue that I had was that a travel bug which was simply a piece of paper (with an attached TB tag) on which cachers should fill in states and dates the TB visited was laminated. Afterwards the information couldn't be filled in anymore.

I really LIKED the general idea of you attaching a tag to travel bugs, and I'd like to see the practice reinstated -- maybe with just the note about how travel bugs work and then maybe the name and TB number.

Marky I do the same thing anytime I pick up a bug. I make a goal tag and take it to Kinko's and have it laminated. To date I have not had one complaint.

Hmmm... makes ya wonder why folks put out bugs without putting there own goal tag attached.

Any ole way keep cool down there and cache on.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Marky --

Darn! I was hoping to drop off a recent TB find in the "Hospital" for first aid. Fluffy could use a better look.

Your TB's that I've seen looked well done and it's a shame to lose such a valuable service. I love to see people "giving back" to a community and this was a great example of someone doing just that. Perhaps just take the feedback and keep up the good work while you can afford the time!

-- Lefty

quote:
Originally posted by KennyHannahJacob:

Marky --

Darn! I was hoping to drop off a recent TB find in the "Hospital" for first aid. Fluffy could use a better look.

Your TB's that I've seen looked well done and it's a shame to lose such a valuable service. I love to see people "giving back" to a community and this was a great example of someone doing just that. Perhaps just take the feedback and keep up the good work while you can afford the time!

-- Lefty

Hey Lefty, it turns out that I spoke out of turn, and Joani still wants to make these tags. As far as I know, the only case where one got "seperated" was when we found a travel bug that no longer had it's tag. Joani added the info tag as test to see if it would move without the bug dogtag, which apparently it has. Feel free to drop off Fluffy (in person, or at a nearby cache, or even in a 'temporary cache' and e-mail us the coords icon_wink.gif) for a little TLC.

--Marky

quote:

That is SUCH a cool idea!!! Wish I'd thought of it!

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

quote:

That is SUCH a cool idea!!! Wish I'd thought of it!

We've found one place that has a bunch of options for doing this kind of thing. One is to just have them create and own the custom die, and you pay them to press the pennies. Their price per penny, including the creation of the custom die ranges from 50 cents per penny smashed (minimum order of 500) but if you order 2000 the price is about 25 cents per penny. And they do all the labor!

Since we are kind of into the whole thing, we are considering buying our own machine which will definitely be more expensive in the short run and possibly more expensive in the long run as well, depending on how many pennies we end up smashing. Still haven't decided on this yet...

--Marky

quote:

Since we are kind of into the whole thing, we are considering buying our own machine which will definitely be more expensive in the short run and possibly more expensive in the long run as well, depending on how many pennies we end up smashing. Still haven't decided on this yet...

--Marky

Well, you could always have the pennie smasher in your front yard so other people could smash their own Marky pennies.... for a small fee.

It could pay for itself.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Anyone get woken up by the crazy thunderboomers last night? I'm in SF and was woken up by a serious explosion. My first thoughts were "that's it, it's the Iraqi counterattack! time to go find that bombshelter cache!" then I realised it was thunder. Thunder in SF! Next thing you know it'll snow here.

Dan- who has seen 3 snowflakes in the Richmond disctrict.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Anyone get woken up by the crazy thunderboomers last night?

It was raining when I went to work this morning, but I didn't hear any thunder down here in San Jose.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Anyone get woken up by the crazy thunderboomers last night? I'm in SF and was woken up by a serious explosion. My first thoughts were "that's it, it's the Iraqi counterattack! time to go find that bombshelter cache!" then I realised it was thunder. Thunder in SF! Next thing you know it'll snow here.

It was raining a little bit around 10:30 this morning, here at San Jose City Hall, while I was on my break (talking to a fellow cacher on the phone). That's twice I've felt it rain on me this summer (the first time was a couple of weeks ago when I was caching in the middle of the night with Kusanagi, Jay, Caine, and Becca!). Okay, it's not supposed to rain in the summer in northern California. What is going on!?

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Well, you could always have the pennie smasher in your front yard so other people could smash their own Marky pennies.... for a small fee.

It could pay for itself.

Hey, Andy collects those smashed pennies too. I know that we would go over there and buy a few. icon_razz.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

Okay, it's not supposed to rain in the summer in northern California. What is going on!?

Some words of guidance on this topic:

quote:
On the same day government scientists predicted a disastrous future for American agriculture due to climate change. Bush said merely that he'd read the report "of the bureaucrats" and that the U.S. would have to "adapt."

... where is it?

quote:

Both GeoROCKS! and Equinox have sent me e-mail complaining about the tags we've been attaching to travel bugs to aid in their travel. So, from now on we will no longer attach info tags to travel bugs unless we are specifically asked to do so by the bug's owner.

--Marky

Well, that's a nice overreaction.

Since, as GeoROCKS has already noted, you've decided to take this to a public forum let's at least set the record straight, Marky. I never complained about the tags. In the private emails I sent you I actually said I liked the idea of the tags. Several times.

My objection was specifically to your including the bug's number on the tags. 1) Because I've seen at least 3 bugs where the number on the Marky tag didn't match the number on the official tag and 2) when the Marky tag gets seperated from the bug it causes confusion. Someone logged one of my TBs, for example, when all they had was the Marky tag.

The official tags are numbered so that someone has to actually find a bug before they can log it. I suggested that putting the number on the Marky tag defeats that a bit.

You want put tags on the bugs you find, fine. I do it myself. Every bug I re-release is accompanied by a printed copy of it's web page so people can see the goal when they find the bug. I just wish you wouldn't include the bug's serial number.

- Equinox 2002

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I do the same thing anytime I pick up a bug. I make a goal tag and take it to Kinko's and have it laminated. To date I have not had one complaint.

Hmmm... makes ya wonder why folks put out bugs without putting there own goal tag attached.

Pepper

For the record, I wasn't complaining about Marky's tags. I told him several times that I liked the tags. My only objection was that he is including the bug's serial number on the tags. 1) Because he's getting them wrong (on 3 bugs that I've seen so far) and 2) because people log the Marky tags when they've gotten separated from the actual bug.

When I release a bug, mine or someone else's, I frequently attach a copy of the bug's web page. Marky's tags are version of this.

I just wish he wouldn't include the serial number on the tag. It kinda defeats the purpose of giving a bug a serial number in the first place.

- Equinox 2002

quote:
Originally posted by KennyHannahJacob:

Marky --

-- Lefty

I wish he would just take the feedback and keep up the good work. Marky's (apparently short lived) decision to stop making tags couldn't have been based on my objection because I never objected to tags. On the contrary, I told him I liked the tags. I just asked that he not include the bug's number on the tags for a number of reasons which I gave him in detail.

Frankly his overreactions in both our private exchange (where I had intended to keep things) and this public forum are unfair to me and unworthy of him.

- Equinox 2002

[This message was edited by Equinox 2002 on July 31, 2003 at 09:08 AM.]

Congrats to Marky and Joani on their NEW Hiking sick.

Who gets to use it????? icon_rolleyes.gif

--marwagsalot

QUOTE]

M & J I second the congrats on winning a hiking stick. I did vote for ya'll cause you two ROCK!

Well now I guess I will just have to ask the hubbie for one for Christmas.

Headed off to Mt. Vernon today to cache with the Peanut Butter Brigade.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by Equinox 2002:

Frankly his overreactions in both our private exchange (where I had intended to keep things) and this public forum are unfair to me and unworthy of him.

It is out of character of me to do so. I must have been having a bad day.

--Marky

quote:

quote:
Those Geo-hiking Staffs are very manly looking, so I'm thinking I get to use it.

--Marky

Sounds like you haven't asked yet! icon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_eek.gif

I'm just going to start using it and see if she complains... icon_wink.gif If she does, I'll have to get her one. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

This message now brings the streak of Marky-focused messages in this forum to 9, as well! I believe this is a record! Congratulations again! icon_wink.gif

You are a very silly person. No wonder we get along. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

- Equinox 2002

[This message was edited by Equinox 2002 on August 01, 2003 at 12:27 PM.]

quote:

quote:

Fair enough.

- Equinox 2002

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

For those interested in some of the puzzle caches we have seen lately and with a little time for recreational reading there is a book out by Dan Brown called 'the Da Vinci Code'. I was thinking about 'the Big Picture' by Fizzymagic as I went by a book rack in the local library and this book practically leaped out at me. Lots of history, action and enigmas stacked on mysteries covered with secrets.

If you enjoyed the book you should try this:

A Vinci Code

I am re reading the book to find the answers icon_smile.gif

Jean

Legendeo a geocaching mystery

quote:
Originally posted by tatoeba:

http://www.Legendeo.org a geocaching mystery

You found it first. You will be the one. The Vox must be stopped. Read the parchment, gather a team of mighty companions and save our Time. I gave you one Soumak. Don't loose it or give it to anyone under any circumstances. 7 soumaks and the Time no more will be. Emeos.

Sorry, tatoeba, I cannot recommend any cache that has the dreaded "lose - loose" misuse. The Word Police are unforgiving, even to those whose name is Japanese ("For example").

quote:
this Monday for anyone who missed the first one, or just likes Chuckie Cheese a lot.

At the risk of offending anyone.

Either Marky has some tokens he hasn't used, or he's just lonely.

Then again.........

there are all those little humans, hmmmmmmmmmm

--marwagsalot

All horses owners MUST carry POOP bags!