SF Bay Area geocachers

Proposing a late July dinner, and taking a poll without making a poll.

Just ate at Depot Cafe, San Carlos, near GCE2D3. Pre-1900 bldg with a zillion train photos on the wall. Outside is the CalTrain platform, and my fav' the Kiss and Ride; trains run, for example, southbound 8:52p, 9:52p, 10:52p. Depot Cafe can do evening meetings events for 40-50 people at ~$25/ea steak, chicken, or salmon; salad + bev; tax & tip extra. Slightly steep for me, the unemployed, but whadda you think? I'd seed a couple more caches, maybe a reflector night urban. Also other restaurants are w/in 2 blks.

Woohoo! Great article! I think it represents Geocaching fairly well, outside of some obvious flubs, like starting out the article talking about "buried treasure" *sigh*. But that was made up for by basically reprinting from the site where to NOT place caches. Definately too bad CITO wasn't mentioned. Overall a very nice article though and cool that they mentioned Orienteering and Letterboxing, etc.

And the one cache they actually showed the contents of is one that would have been long lost if me and Willow hadn't happened on the kids playing with it that day. icon_wink.gif Johnny Vega's Lon Chaney

Has anyone posted the article link in the general forum yet?

And do ya think we'll start seeing an influx of new cachers in the weeks ahead? :D

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

What did everyone else do for the 4th?

Went to a 4th of July party hosted by friends; then drove up to Chico that evening. Cached in Redding and on the way to Eureka on Saturday - 102 degree heat in Redding! - cached Eureka and drove home, then completed a few caches in the Bay Area on Sunday. Then, on Monday took the day off and completely caught up on our cache maintenance back-log, and placed a new puzzle cache.

-Jif

We went to Mendocino, land of Team Sagefox, and found a couple of caches in the area. We were there to wind down and do "nothing" for a couple of days, so we didn't get to too many caches that weren't like, right in front of us.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Man I'm gonna get rid of my Magellan and get a Garmin. I was all excited that we got the last hint and the coordinates for the "big" contest. I drug my human out to the cachmobile, and we beat feet to the trailhead.

Only to find NO DOGS icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

Horses were ok

Bikes were ok

Strollers were ok

Walkers were ok

BUT

NO DOGS icon_mad.gificon_frown.gificon_mad.gif

So, it was too hot for me to sit in the cachemobile while my human tried to locate the cache, so we parked the cachemobile and sat and watched the parade from the vineyard across the street, There goes Beckerbuns, there goes Blooey, there goes George and Mary, here come Joanie and Cachie. It was a regular Who's Who of the geocaching Northern California. We ran out of water, so we left, only to see 3 more cars trying to find the illegal, nonexistant parking, what's wrong with that picture. If this sound like whining, it is, everybody should be able to participate, not just a select few.

There, I will get down off of my dog food box and go get a chew toy.

marwagsalot

[This message was edited by marwagsalot on July 11, 2003 at 06:05 PM.]

Went out the door at 3p and was up to the trailhead at idunno, maybe 3:40. Bumped into Beckerbuns etal at 0.1 mi from Treasure, and she said I'd be about 7th to location. FTF had already cleared the 0.4 mi trail back up the hill. Kablooey showed up, then Kusanagi and some Kusakids. And after a little while, Georgeandmary pulled up to the trhd, having flown from Patterson. Wassup with that?

PS: Throw that dog a bone. Or a margarita.

quote:
Originally posted by marwagsalot:

So, it was too hot for me to sit in the cachemobile while my human tried to locate the cache, so we parked the cachemobile and sat and watched the parade from the vineyard across the street, There goes Beckerbuns, there goes Blooey, there goes George and Mary, here come Joanie and Cachie. It was a regular Who's Who of the geocaching Northern California. We ran out of water, so we left, only to see 3 more cars trying to find the illegal, nonexistant parking, what's wrong with that picture. If this sound like whining, _it is_, everybody should be able to participate, not just a select few.

There, I will get down off of my dog food box and go get a chew toy.

You silly old dog. Why didn't you get out of your vehicle and let those Kusakids pat you? Or me? I still need to thank you in person for your generosity. Where were you parked? I was the first person to park at the trailhead. You must've been up the road.

Well, for me it was quite a ride. If I hadn't been delayed at work by 20 minutes I would have been #1, I am confident of it. Oh well. The adventure was still great!

It was great to see Jerry, Barefoot & Twinkle, Kablooey, bthomas, Kusanagi, the Kusakids, and George and Mary... and to see Marky & Joani on their way up when I was on my way down.

You can read my log on the Magellan website, but just in case you aren't on there, here it is:

quote:
Whew. I figured I would never get the chance to try for it, so I went off to work thinking of other things. But I still reloaded the treasure page over and over and BAM there were the coords... Well I had to go get it of course. I hopped online and conversed briefly with Kusanagi and Kablooey and then 20 minutes later I was finally relieved of my work duties and I went running out the door. I drove breakneck speed all the way out there and parked (somewhat err, illegally) at the trailhead. I tore down the trail carrying only my GPSr, phone, and keys. Nearing a close ridge, I saw two people already in the general vicinity of the location of the cache. DOH! Oh well. When I got there I chatted with the first finder as the second finder found the cache. I didn''t catch their names. Then, as I was contemplating the hike, and realizing it might be difficult in my poorly-chosen footwear (sandals -- remember, I figured I wasn't going to get the cache), Barefoot & Twinkle arrived. Twinkle was a bit worse off than me, wearing sandals and a dress! Anyway, we all picked our way up there and were joined by Jerry of Stacy and Jerry. They found the treasure and waved me over. So I was third to arrive, and sixth to claim my prize -- a Magellan hat I have to send away for. On the hike back, my lack of water or common sense caught up with me and I had a little trouble. My hiking companions were thoughtful enough to wait for me, and on our way back we passed some people we didn't know, someone Barefoot knew, as well as Bthomas and Kablooey, all heading toward the cache. We got back to where all the cars were, and there were Kusanagi and the Kusakids. I climbed exhaustedly into my air conditioned car and gulped down the 1 cup of water I had there (and it was warm, ugh). After a few minutes of futilely trying to call DruMorgan and tell him I found this treasure, I headed out, waving goodbye to Kusanagi and Bthomas. About fifty feet down I passed George and Mary (2 hour drive for them!) and we talked for a few minutes. Farther down the hill I passed Marky & Joani, but I don''t think they saw me. It was a regular stampede! Anyway, thank you for the adventure. I''ve never had FTF on a cache, so I don''t know why I thought I could get FTF on this, but it sure was fun trying!!!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

That place sounds good... Actually I'd be up for dinner with ya'all just about anywhere, anytime soon. The last weekend of July I am otherwise occupied, but other than that I'd be game.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

We knew our chances were very slim. We tried anyway.

The one funny part was that our maps never showed a connection to montebello road so we didn't actually know which way to get to the cache area. So we called "inphone" and asked for directions to the winery near the cache. They told us how to get to the road that turned onto the road. Man that's some road. But both the maps we had showed a break in the road.

Oh, while hiking to the cache I got to within 1ft of a rattle snake. I was busy looking at the gps and not at the trail. I walked right by the thing while mary screamed.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

The one funny part was that our maps never showed a connection to montebello road so we didn't actually know which way to get to the cache area.

I don't get what this is all about. I live about as close to Montebello Road as any cacher around. Was there an event cache there today? I had originally scheduled a leave day for work today, but I figured my wife would just rope me into some honeydew list thing, so I hid out at work. If I'd known there was an event cache, I'd have gone. But I don't see one on my Nearest To list.

quote:

The one funny part was that our maps never showed a connection to montebello road so we didn't actually know which way to get to the cache area.

I don't get what this is all about. I live about as close to Montebello Road as any cacher around. Was there an event cache there today? I had originally scheduled a leave day for work today, but I figured my wife would just rope me into some honeydew list thing, so I hid out at work. If I'd known there was an event cache, I'd have gone. But I don't see one on my Nearest To list.

quote:

Greetings Bay Area,

Please set August 16th a side for a great day of Geocaching in the Central Valley (Manteca). The CVC Break-Fest has been submitted and should be posted soon.

The fun starts at 10 AM and will just keep getting better. The event will include games, prizes, food (you buy) and who knows what else? JaimeeG and Green Achers know as we're co-hosting this event!

The plotting and planning are already in the works so keep that date available and be prepared to have lots of fun.

Bill of Green Achers

Some asked questions are already known. Gen. 3:9

quote:
Originally posted by marwagsalot:

But the gate was locked icon_confused.gif, and there was a sign that said parking by permit only. icon_confused.gif

I'm so confused!!

I called the Midpeninsula Open Space people. They typed up a parking permit for me, which I picked up at their office in Los Altos. They didn't charge me anything. It included a code to one of the locks to unlock the gate.

You've all heard the old saying, Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. After posting my clueless inquiry about the "event cache" on Montebello Road (3X, like a real klutz) I read TeamJiffy's log and realized it was that Magellan Treasure Hunt thing. A week or so ago my wife had seen an article and told me about it, but I hadn't heard anything before. I checked out the website mentioned in the article but after an hour I had learned only about subsidaries of a French defense contractor but nothing about the so-called treasure hunt. The link on the front of their website about the treasure hunt only takes you to a general About the Company kind of page. The history of the company and its financial connections was interesting reading, but after an hour I gave up with a DNF. Then I read in the Forum that Pepper had found the cache, so I figured that was it. I didn't realized there was more than one of these things. After reading the forum posts from yesterday I went back to the Magellan website and finally realized I had to click on the log in page to find out anything about this. I did that, and then got the story on the treasure hunt. Considering I had already registered with Magellan as a geocacher with my real email address when I bought my SporTrak Pro, you'd think they would have at least sent out an informational email to their own customer base when they started this so-called promotion. Then when I read the hints and logs for this latest hide, I couldn't believe how poorly executed it was. Posting four worthless hints then the coordinates just led to a mass dash up a windy, dangerous road with no parking at top except for the winery - and on a weekday. As one of the logs said, it's enough to make you want to switch back to Garmin. Clueless I may be, but this is one I'm glad I missed, even though I probably could have had the FTF if I'd been able to navigate their website.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

Clueless I may be, but this is one I'm glad I missed...

We went up and it wasn't the mad house that everyone makes it out to be. It felt more like an impromptu geo event. It was great seeing the people we saw, and we got to do some additional caching with Kusanagi, the KusaKids (all four) and Kablooey. To us, we felt like the winners. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

The impromptu events are the best kind icon_smile.gif

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

Clueless I may be, but this is one I'm glad I missed...

We went up and it wasn't the mad house that everyone makes it out to be. It felt more like an impromptu geo event. It was great seeing the people we saw, and we got to do some additional caching with Kusanagi, the KusaKids (all four) and Kablooey. To us, we felt like the winners. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

We went up and it wasn't the mad house that everyone makes it out to be. It felt more like an impromptu geo event.

That's why mary and I went for it. We figured out chances were very slim but we knew we'd see all the gang there. If it wasn't so hot we would have stuck around longer to chat more.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

quote:
Originally posted by Venona:

Is not for worry about Gold Garbage Travel Bug. We not are _Buddy Ebsen_.

R.I.P.

I thought it was funny that a reference to Venona's antics were mentioned in the Chron article. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

PhilippeGPS and I found Amazing Race today, so it is still out there. I'd post the URL, but I can't get onto the website to look it up due to Server Too Busy errors. Jeremy needs another server or greater bandwidth.

It is a challenge, and I think underrated in difficulty level, but it takes you to some wonderful spots, most of which I hadn't been to before. I suggest doing it with at least one other geocacher. Two sets of eyes are definitely useful

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

Just ate at Depot Cafe, San Carlos, near GCE2D3. Pre-1900 bldg with a zillion train photos on the wall. Outside is the CalTrain platform, and my fav' the Kiss and Ride; trains run, for example, southbound 8:52p, 9:52p, 10:52p. Depot Cafe can do evening meetings events for 40-50 people at ~$25/ea steak, chicken, or salmon; salad + bev; tax & tip extra. Slightly steep for me, the unemployed, but whadda you think? I'd seed a couple more caches, maybe a reflector night urban. Also other restaurants are w/in 2 blks.

Hey B,

Jif and I will be there if we are both in town then. The Depot was a favorite breakfast place of ours when we lived there.

-Fy

quote:

PhilippeGPS and I found Amazing Race today, so it is still out there. I'd post the URL, but I can't get onto the website to look it up due to Server Too Busy errors. Jeremy needs another server or greater bandwidth.

It is a challenge, and I think underrated in difficulty level, but it takes you to some wonderful spots, most of which I hadn't been to before. I suggest doing it with at least one other geocacher. Two sets of eyes are definitely useful

Did you guys use the Fast Forward or should I plan on doing the road block? I did the first waypoint this weekend and planning to move on to the next soon as this cache is creeping up on my closest caches.

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by boulter:

Did you guys use the Fast Forward or should I plan on doing the road block? I did the first waypoint this weekend and planning to move on to the next soon as this cache is creeping up on my closest caches.

Jeff

We both did the Roadblock and both of us got the same numbers, one of which turned out to be wrong. We aren't sure if the instructions are wrong, or we both missed something - there may be a challenge of some kind. GeoROCKS warned me one of my coordinates was off, so I went back to the FF and checked it that way. PhilippeGPS checked his set through the Internet, and the numbers we came up with that way meshed, although at that point we weren't working together. We discovered this later, after we had each found the next Pit Stop without difficulty. The FF is the sure thing - if it's there. Sometimes it disappears.

quote:
Originally posted by boulter:

Jeff

The Fast Forward will let you skip the first roadblock and detours only. But those are not too challenging - except for what The Rat has mentioned. Just make sure your do the 2 detours if you choose not to go for the FF.

Make sure you check the logs, or with GeoROCKS! directly, before you go for the final pit stop. There's some maintenance needed on one of the legs.

Joani

Hea Girl Pepper here I just wanted to send you Birthday wishes from Redmond WA.

CachinCin and I had the pleasure of caching with "forman" on Monday and he brought along a hard copy of the San Franciso Chronicle. I read the Plesure hunt story and ya'll looked great!

Cache On!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:

PhilippeGPS and I found Amazing Race today, so it is still out there. It is a challenge, and I think underrated in difficulty level, but it takes you to some wonderful spots, most of which I hadn't been to before. I suggest doing it with at least one other geocacher. Two sets of eyes are definitely useful.

I've since bumped up the difficulty to 3.5 and added some clarification on the second leg of the race to the regular cache description.

Thanks for the feedback! Congratulations -- I hope you enjoyed it!

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Take a look at your cacher profile, then click on the index tab marked Cacher Stats (or words to that effect).

Neat!

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Cool, indeed, but you don't see your total finds anymore - you have to add them up (or go to a cache page). Am I right ?

quote:

Happy Birthday, Joani. Thanks to Marky for organizing another event cache. I enjoyed talking to some people I knew only by their geocaching NOM, and some I knew already, but hadn't had a chance to chat with so much before now.

Man, what a fun time! It was great chatting with everyone. Lots of new faces, of both new cachers and cachers who having been at it a while but we hadn't met yet. Thanks to all who could make it, it was Joani's most memorable birthday yet. icon_smile.gif Kablooey, thanks for the birthday cache! That was a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next get together. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

*** STOP *** STOP *** THIS JUST IN *** STOP *** STOP ***

1) The US Government has been informed that this cache (Sly Dog's--Big Lady) actually contains proof of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) currently hidden in certain geographic crisis points.

2) The US Government, short of troops to deploy, has issued a statement that by tomorrow, Thursday 24th, a low yield thermonuclear device will be set off at the above posted coordinates. It will incinerate all biological matter but leave properly tagged geocaching containers as well as the Big Lady totally unharmed. So they say.

3) All involved parties are confident that this swift and resolute action will prevent further loss of productivity of a certain individual aka "Nostrada"

4) Above mentioned individual was last seen signing up as an inspector of Blix's (WMD) search team for the next deployment in North Korea.

5) The slump of the world economy will be over soon after and other caches of similar difficulty might be targeted next!

*** STOP *** STOP *** THIS JUST IN *** STOP *** STOP ***

... where is it?

Howdy all!

Just a note to let you know that we jsut finished our signature items and have placed two today at local caches in the SC Mountains. As we start to move out to Monterey and SJ you'll see these in every cache that we find (if you're interested).

One item is a Geo-magnet and the other is a Geo-tattoo (like the Cracker Jacks type).

Happy caching!geopack.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73445

I like Purloined Letter, and think it's bold and clever. And it's not the ubiquitous film micro.

It must be had during business hours, but IMHO that does not make it commercial. I annotated on the cache page that it's not near 2 standard deviations out on the rules bell curve, from what I've seen to date. Additionally, I have observed that 99% of caches probably lack written or verbal permission from public land managers or private property owners.

Only two posts in four days - including a weekend. icon_confused.gif Where is everybody? I'm guessing there are a bunch of folks traveling. The weather has been hot, but not that hot. There should be a lot of cache finding going on out there. Let's hear from the newer geocachers - how did you get interested in this hobby? What are your most & least favorite caches - and why?