SF Bay Area geocachers

Yipee!

My TB arrived today!! I have a great idea/item to attach it to. Which cache~ in my area is good for far away/out of town/and travel of the world activity. I know YOU'S GUYS know what a good location for this TB might be.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input.

xoxo, Buckethead

www.bucketheadland.com

Guitars, GPS's, and Chickenbones... www.bucketheadland.com

quote:
Originally posted by Buckethead:

Yipee!

My TB arrived today!! I have a great idea/item to attach it to. Which cache~ in my area is good for far away/out of town/and travel of the world activity. I know YOU'S GUYS know what a good location for this TB might be.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input.

If your travel bug wants to go far, your best bet is to place it in a cache near (within walking distance would be ultimate) a major Airport. Es Effo Bug Hotel is a good example, and probably not too far for you to go.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Congratulations to Marky and Joani who have achieved 1500+ cache finds in their first year of caching!

Conincidentally, we started the same day, and found 559 in our first year - so I know how hard 1500 must have been to achieve!

Congratulations again!!

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

_Another hotel to add to the Free High Speed Internet list_

Holiday Inn, Chico California. It has _both_ wired and wireless access.

-Jif

Sweet! icon_smile.gif Both Joani and I attended CSUC. Now we have an excuse to go back there. If there had been decent paying jobs, we might have stayed in Chico.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Congratulations to Marky and Joani who have achieved 1500+ cache finds in their first year of caching!

Conincidentally, we started the same day, and found 559 in our first year - so I know how hard 1500 must have been to achieve!

Congratulations again!!

-Jif

Thanks! I know your original goal was to average 1 cache a day, and you surpassed that by quite a bit. As far as being hard to achieve, I think it's more about how much time you have to dedicate to it. Geocaching just became our number one thing to do over the past year and has taken us to a lot of really neat areas that we wouldn't have been to (and some really yucky areas, for that matter icon_wink.gif). I would write more, but we are going to go caching instead... later!

--Marky

Hi all I was just lucky enough today to find a STF(second to find) prize in Magellan's Treasure Hunt.

Wow, Wow, Wow what fun that Magellan Lost Treasure Hunt turned out to be. I ended up running into "uplink" at the cache site. He had already been there for about an hour looking. He was just fixen to go back to his car take a break and try again. We looked together and after doing a little scrambling I decided to expand my search area and Viola! It was a VERY cool cache container and low and behold there were still Grand Prizes left for the taking. Uplink and I both retreived a ticket each for a Grand Prize. Can you imagin how shocked we were to find out there was more than one Grand Prize in the cache.

Anyway after finding the Magellan cache we went on together to find three more Geocaching Caches that we could add to our log as Finds!

I was also lucky enough to share his #400 find with him.

What a great day of cacing this turned out to be. Good hides(Thanks Kodaks's 4 and Magellan), good company, great prizes.

Yipee, Yeah, Yahoo A new Color Sports Track coming my way soon in the mail.

Magellan's Treasure Hunt

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 05, 2003 at 06:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by forman:

I am going to Wa next week, drop off in one of my caches.

Don

Don hi Pepper here if you gonna be in the Redmond area I would sure like to get together with ya and do some caching.

If you are gonna be in my neck of the woods email and I will send ya my home phone and cell.

Oops I am assuming this is a business trip! Oh will if not that's ok too.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hi all I was just lucky enough today to find a STF(second to find) prize in Magellan's Treasure Hunt.

Not necessarily! There are other things to be won too, like trips etc. But the Sport Trak Color sure would be neat!

DruMorgan, a southern California cacher who inhabits channel #geocache quite frequently, was one of the people to find the first Orange County cache. I'll look forward to hearing what you and he get for your prizes!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

Re: My library caches

I wanted to let the Bay Area cachers know that I have replaced the missing micros at the Pearl Ave. and Almaden branches. I have also placed a new cache at the Calabazas branch and plan to hit a few more this coming week.

As you may have noticed if you have hunted any in this series in the past few days, the San Jose Public Libraries are all closed through July 9th for a computer system upgrade... So it's a great time to cache there without feeling too conspicuous.

Cheers...

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Eureka! I’m in it!

Hi to everyone from Eureka - Fy and I are going to be caching here tomorrow - we found a few in Redding on Saturday.

The cachers up here rate things differently - difficulty tends to be over-rated a bit vs. Bay Area standards, and terrain is definitely under-rated in Eureka and Redding. It’s interesting to see these regional standards being formed (and with them, cross-regional differences that will become harder to reconcile.)

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

quote:

Not necessarily! There are other things to be won too, like trips etc. But the Sport Trak Color sure would be neat!

DruMorgan, a southern California cacher who inhabits channel #geocache quite frequently, was one of the people to find the first Orange County cache. I'll look forward to hearing what you and he get for your prizes!

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy http://my.tupperware.com/beckydee for cache containers.

Becky,

I guess I stand corrected!

Thank you for your input it is always helpful to be shown the error of my ways.

Still a winner no matter what the prize! I headed out to that cache yesterday just for the hunt, to see the box and maybe grab a baseball hat for my husband.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Still a winner no matter what the prize! I headed out to that cache yesterday just for the hunt, to see the box and maybe grab a baseball hat for my husband.

I can't believe you didn't take one of the sure thing hat coupons! What if you get something lame like a trip to Hawaii. Then you'll be thinking 'Man, we could have had a hat! Oh well, maybe we can work on our tans.' icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Marky and Joani

Big Congrats on hitting 1500! Wow you two are still amazing.

I don't want a trip anywhere I would not be able to use it with our three children. I WANT a color sports track.

As soon as I figure out how to post pics I will post a picture of the Magellan Box. They are very cool.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I just wanted to post a thanks to Marwagsalot, BThomas and VDBalamo for checking on Zoofaunics. Its still there!

Since I don't have much else to say I'll tell you what happened to me on July 3 (not a geocaching story but amusing none the less):

I went to Paramount Great America on the 3rd and there was very few people there and no lines to speak of. It was like having our own personal amusement park! When I graduated from high school the Demon was the 'state of the art' roller coaster, I haven't been on many other roller coasters since, just Top Gun a few times. So my wife says, why don't we go on Invertigo? Invertigo is a new inverted boomerang roller coaster. I get dizzy pretty easily, but it was just a roller coaster so what could go wrong? I figured, since vertigo means dizzy, then invertigo means not dizzy, so I went for it. On this roller coaster you have the option of sitting forwards or backwards, but I wasn't sure which way it would travel so I didn't care. First thing it lifted us 200 feet in the air and we were just hanging, and it really gives you the unpleasant sensation that you might fall to the ground, should the seatbelt fail. So then we traversed the whole track in about 10 seconds, and well if you blink you'll miss it. So I was thinking, well that wasn't to bad, but then I realized we were going to traverse the whole track backwards. So that happened and I experienced the worst fealing of nausea and dizziness that I had experienced since a couple of all night drinking parties that I had attended in college many years ago. I had to hold onto the railings walk off the ride platform. Well the dizziness and nausea did go away, about a day later! Its a pretty wild ride, and one that I'll never go on again!

quote:
Originally posted by Buckethead:

Looks like everyone is having a good time and enjoying themselves. Could there be a better time for popcorn chicken? Thought not.

Even though I'm a vegetarian, this made me chuckle.

--Marky

We were in the area as well (Arcata actually)! We spent most of the time hiking in the redwood forests and only managed to do a couple of caches. A couple of other caches we checked out were surrounded by a profusion of what we thought was poison oak and we didn't feel very brave; especially after a friend who'd come along said he had suffered from poison oak induced rashes for a month!!

There are *so many* cache worthy spots up there though. Considering our only attempt at placing a regular cache was mowed down!! (it probably was not a well thought out location but icon_frown.gif ...) - it would have been great to have such a place to cache in!

I agree that the difficulty/terrain ratings are different from what we see in the Bay Area. Though the game has the geography independent interface of the web, it seems like it has a different flavor in different areas.

We really enjoyed our long weekend. Here's hoping you all had a great time too!

quote:

_Eureka! I’m in it!_

Hi to everyone from Eureka - Fy and I are going to be caching here tomorrow - we found a few in Redding on Saturday.

The cachers up here rate things differently - difficulty tends to be over-rated a bit vs. Bay Area standards, and terrain is definitely under-rated in Eureka and Redding. It’s interesting to see these regional standards being formed (and with them, cross-regional differences that will become harder to reconcile.)

-Jif

A of VnAM

I've been waiting and waiting for the multitude of new caches I was sure would pop up after this holliday weekend. I thought maybe Hemlock was out partying and would be sitting down to approve any minute. But now I'm thinking that people just weren't out hiding. icon_frown.gif

So what WAS everyone doing? Personaly, I hit Stumped Again? in the afternoon (now currently my favorite cache of all time...all hail chuguy icon_biggrin.gif) and we were going to make our way through the rest of the caches in Los Briones and end up at a peak to watch the firworks but it was just too hot to continue. So we ended up watching some drunk Polish students set off ilegal fireworks about 100 feet from my front door. Although completely plastered (always a good idea when playing with fireworks) they invited us in to try some Polish food (I tasted the Hunter's Stew), some polish beer (mmmmmm), and Polish Vodka (yousas!), and Polish music (sounds alot like american pop music backwards...although that could have been the polish beer) icon_wink.gif

What did everyone else do for the 4th? (besides hitting #1500+...way to go M&J!)

Happy Halloween

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

So what WAS everyone doing?

Happy Halloween

We went hiking at Grant Ranch (need to put a couple of caches there) and at Mt. Hamilton. The San Jose Flea Market (some GPS guidance there would be useful)

Also spent some time preparing for a journey to France (yes, Toulouse) next week. Not many caches in France so I guess I'll place a couple there too.

Yardwork of course...suburbanites, so it goes..

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

Also spent some time preparing for a journey to France (yes, Toulouse) next week. Not many caches in France so I guess I'll place a couple there too.

Don't expect to have any of your caches approved if you place them in France. "Vacation" caches are not currently allowed as they wouldn't be maintainable (unless you happened to go to France monthly, then you might convince the approver that you could maintain it). Even virtual caches are hard to get approved if they are "placed" while you are on vacation.

--Marky

quote:

So what WAS everyone doing? Personaly, I hit Stumped Again? in the afternoon (now currently my favorite cache of all time...all hail chuguy icon_biggrin.gif)

That is one of my all time favorites as well. The old hint: "Vincent Price Classic", which I think is no longer on the page always cracked me up, since you don't really get it until after you find the cache. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

[

"Vacation" caches are not currently allowed as they wouldn't be maintainable

--Marky

I go there every third month, and asia every other month (now that the SARS thing is "over") but not monthly.

I'll try to get one of my colleagues interested enough to place them.

Thanks for the advice!

Monty

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

quote:

What did everyone else do for the 4th?

Went to a 4th of July party hosted by friends; then drove up to Chico that evening. Cached in Redding and on the way to Eureka on Saturday - 102 degree heat in Redding! - cached Eureka and drove home, then completed a few caches in the Bay Area on Sunday. Then, on Monday took the day off and completely caught up on our cache maintenance back-log, and placed a new puzzle cache.

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by vdbalamo:

Anyone interested in some Ammo cans? I'm thinking about buying way too many off ebay - probably run a bit less than $4 each (all inclusive). Let me know ASAP.

Less than $4 is a good price, if that includes shipping. The surplus place down in Moss Landing is $3.99 plus tax, so it sounds like you are getting a good deal. We don't need any at the moment. I think we have about 15 ready to go.

--Marky

quote:

Anyone interested in some Ammo cans? I'm thinking about buying way too many off ebay - probably run a bit less than $4 each (all inclusive). Let me know ASAP.

I'd like to have a few. You can put me down for five, actually. I have some cache-hiding plans in the works...

I dunno when I'd get them from you. Guess we'll have to plan another picnic or pizza thing, huh?

Thanks!

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

You betcha - been in contact with the seller and after expenses, they are only $3 each. So far, 25 are already commited, so if you want more than 5, I'll need to up the order. I'd like to place the order today, so please send me an email (vdbalamo@pacbell.net)

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

quote:

Cheap Ammo cans!!

You eyeing that lot of 30? I'll take a bunch. Logistics?

quote:

after expenses, they are only $3 each.

Wow, that's an awesome price. I hope none have rust on the inside. You might ask the seller about that, or specifically say that you won't accept any with rust on the inside (rust on the outside is fine, but rust on the inside indicates a bad seal). If I didn't already have a bunch, I'd go in on that price.

Now, if you can find a source for cheap decon containers (I got some for $1.29 once), I'd be down for some of those. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

quote:

If it is not too late, I would take 3. Got to start some day with hiding a few.

... where is it?

I noticed that vdbalamo was moving up fast on the leaderboard. When we first met (12/25/2002), they were at something like 44 and we were at around 444. In six months or so, they've closed the gap to around 100. So, there should be a pool on when people think vdbalamo will blow past us. It would only take a couple of those marathon caching days to do it. Fizzy, I'm sure you could come up with some fun graphic predictions based on our find rates. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

Does anyone know Smurf’n Geo style?

They picked up one of my T.B.’s some time ago and responded to an email and have done nothing about it and will not respond now. I emailed them and said I would send them 5.00 for shipping to me.

December 8, 2002 by Smurf'n Geo Style (pratama)

They picked it up here,

Sugarloaf by karcass, punkgeek [profile]

Use waypoint: GC4C9B )

MINI COOPER Travel Bug

Don icon_eek.gif

Here are some links to the different versions of the Chronicle article:

Contra Costa version

Peninsula version

San Francisco version

North Bay version

East Bay version

The article is the same for all of them, but at the bottom is what appears in the front page sidebar on the various issues.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

_Here are some links to the different versions of the Chronicle article:_

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/CC281007.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/PN304377.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/WB202684.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/NB124962.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/EB283855.DTL

The article is the same for all of them, but at the bottom is what appears in the front page sidebar on the various issues.

Wow, we're famous! I just got back from the store where I bought all their copies...my grandma will be soooo proud!

He did make a few mistakes though...he forgot my exclamation mark icon_mad.gif and he said I broke my leg snowboarding when actualy it was skateboarding icon_razz.gif

He also neglected to mention CITO, and gave away tooooo much info on a few local caches...now maybe I'll be able to find Education! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Thanks again for joinging me Kusanagi, Marky, and Joani! All in all I think its a great article and I bet we see hords of newbies in the next few weeks.

Happy Halloween

Got an Education two nights ago!

! <--- extra exclamation point to leave in a cache

Re Mini Cooper: them's 9-finders, 7 months after the 12/08 bug grab. I remember moving Mini up to San Francisco, only miles from final destination, only to have it bushwacked and held by a dot commer.

Overall, the article was one of the nicer ones about Geocaching.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

_Here are some links to the different versions of the Chronicle article:_

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/CC281007.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/PN304377.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/WB202684.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/NB124962.DTL

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/11/EB283855.DTL

--Marky