SF Bay Area geocachers

I was just examining the logs on the caches I've placed. I see that the easiest ones have the most, which is to be expected, but the spread isn't as great as I would have thought. The logs range from approximately 3 per month on the hard puzzle caches to 10 per month. The longest stretch one of my caches has gone since the last find is 78 days, and that, surprisingly, is a virtual, so that you really can't get a DNF unless you just don't do the quiz. I'm curious how other cache owners' experiences compare in log frequency, or general success, by however it is measured, especially the puzzle caches. Kablooey? Marky & Joani?

On a different topic, I still have the problem that I keep getting logged out. I will be shown as logged in on the main page and on the My Cache page, but when I do the filtered search, or go to a specific cache page, I am shown as logged out. I click the link to log in, and every time at first it just shows the the same page with me logged out. If I click the log in link a second time it then takes me to the log in page. I always check the Remember Me box, but it doesn't seem to help, even though I have cookies enabled. This all started when they changed the website to the new format. Does anybody else have this problem, or, more importantly, know how to solve it?

quote:
I still have the problem that I keep getting logged out. I will be shown as logged in on the main page and on the My Cache page, but when I do the filtered search, or go to a specific cache page, I am shown as logged out. I click the link to log in, and every time at first it just shows the the same page with me logged out. If I click the log in link a second time it then takes me to the log in page. I always check the Remember Me box, but it doesn't seem to help, even though I have cookies enabled.

Are you jusing more than one computer?? I don't seem to have the problem is I just use my computer, but when I use my humans, I have to go through the whole ordeal again icon_mad.gif

marwagsalot [:X]

Okay, you asked for it:

Local caches:

8010 (reg 1.5/1) 9 visits/2 months

8221 (reg 2/2) 22 visits/22 months

9564 (reg 2/2) 12 visits/14 months

13000(mult-puz4/1)15 visits/2 months

14434(reg 1/1.5) 33 visits/4 months

15466(reg 2/1) 11 visits/3 months

16010(reg 1/1) 108 visits/15 months

36050(puz 3/1.5) 18 visits/9 months

44315(puz 2.5/2.5) 6 visits/13 months

44444(puz 5/1) 9 visits/2 months

45000(msc 3/2.5) 11 visits/7 months

45179(puz 4/1) 4 visits/5 months

45292(reg 1.5/1) 28 visits/7 months

46192(reg 2/1.5) 15 visits/5 months

47954(puz 3.5/1) 19 visits/6 months

50116(reg 2/2.5) 2 visits/1 day

51605(puz 3.5/1.5)16 visits/6 months

54555(reg 2/1.5) 12 visits/3 months

54583(puz 5/1) 11 visits/4 months

55048(puz 3.5/1.5) 8 visits/4 months

60011(puz 4/1) 10 visits/3 months

63713(puz 1/1) 5 visits/2 months

65075(puz 3/1) 3 visits/2 months

68124(puz 3/1) 4 visits/2 months

70002(puz 3/1) 5 visits/1 month

72323(msc 5/1) 5 visits/1 month

76442(puz 3/1) 1 visit/1 day

Out-of-area caches:

10622(reg 2.5/1.5) 2 visits/5 months France

28428(reg 2/1) 56 visits/12 months Hawaii

39186(reg 4/1.5) 0 visits China

39989(reg 3/2.5) 0 visits/8 months Vietnam

40982(reg 1.5/1) 1 visit/8 months China

41000(virt 1/1) 2 visits/9 months China

41500(virt 1/1) 2 visits/8 months Vietnam

44442(virt 1/1) 1 visit/8 months China

44443(virt 1/2.5) 2 visits/8 months China

44500(virt 1/1) 0 visits/8 months Vietnam

74515(puz 5/1) 1 visit/1 month ThsndOaks

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

I'm curious how other cache owners' experiences compare in log frequency, or general success, by however it is measured, especially the puzzle caches. Kablooey? Marky & Joani?

Well, of the 90+ caches we've hidden only one is a puzzle cache so it's hard to get any meaningful statistics from that.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

I was just examining the logs on the caches I've placed. ...

You know what, I bet that Fizzy could generate a cool pivot table for this. I wonder if the new search pages makes it easier or harder to get at the info...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Don't worry about the formatting - the point comes from the data clearly enough...

from this very small sample:

1) Puzzle cache visiters have a RAPID tail-off

2) Perhaps... not so sure here: Full-size caches attract, overall, a somewhat higher find rate than micros in the same population area.

-Jif

Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun

Magic Squares of Doubly Even Orders: x x x x x x x x x x 11

Magic Squares of Singly Even Orders: x x x x x x x x x x 12

Magic Squares of Odd Orders: x x x x x x x x x x 13

Krab Louie: A Dish Best Served Cold: x x x x x x x x 8 3 0

Lumber Room of Your Library: x x x x x x x 12 0 1 1

Every Cache Moves (Virtual Cache) 1 1 x 2 1 3 1 3 3 0 0

NCSSM: Mercury (Typical Micro) x x x x x x 32 18 1 3 1

NCSSM: Jupiter (Typical fullsize) x x x x x x 36 20 4 9 5

Gustine's Sister Cache x x x x x x x 9 8 7 1

[/code]

Looking at the stats on the caches I've placed, the trend I see is:

- Regular sized caches near easy freeway access in the Peninsula are the most popular

- Multi's are the least popular

- Caches placed not near easy freeway access or in way down South San Jose are mainly found by cachers who live in the area

Name, Start Date, Total, Avg/Day, Avg/Wk

Catch Some Air (reg) 01/16/03, 30, 1.25, 8.75, plundered after a month

Fruit Cocktail (reg) 06/23/02, 124, 0.37, 2.61

Former Ford Assembly Plant (micro) 03/10/03, 27, 0.33, 2.28

Pony Loom (virt) 09/20/02, 65, 0.26, 1.79

Emma's Park (micro) 11/17/02, 35, 0.18, 1.25

La Colina (reg) 11/20/02, 33, 0.17, 1.20

I-5 Fast Food Oasis (micro) 02/02/03, 19, 0.16, 1.12

Doggie Cache (reg) 06/23/02, 52, 0.15, 1.06

Golden Oaks (reg) 06/08/02, 50, 0.14, 0.98

Movies, Railroads, and History (multi) 07/27/02, 39, 0.13, 0.88

Bicycle Primes (reg) 07/14/02, 38, 0.12, 0.83

Cat's Hill (multi) 11/03/02, 24, 0.11, 0.80

Treasure Chest (reg) 02/23/03, 10, 0.10, 0.7

[This message was edited by bykenut on June 25, 2003 at 11:09 AM.]

My two cents: my Amazing Race multicache (3/3)hasn't been visited in 144 days, and my Celebrity Mole multi/puzzle cache (3/1.5) has hit 70 days with no visits. My most popular caches -- Davenport Landing (a 1/2 ammo can) and Chameleon Row (a 2/1 micro) -- get regular visits every few days. The next puzzle cache that I plan on releasing for my 500th *slash* one-year anniversary will be an extremely difficult puzzle cache that will rarely (IF EVER!!!) get visitors -- based on its toughness.

[This message was edited by GeoROCKS! on June 26, 2003 at 06:55 PM.]

quote:

On a different topic, I still have the problem that I keep getting logged out.

I might try looking at the "check for newer versions of stored pages", i.e. the settings for temporary internet files, or cached pages, and ensure that it is marked "automatically" or "every visit..."

Extremely rarely, I've experienced the same problem, but a simple page refresh seems to log me back in properly. I've gotten into the habit of copying my log entries into the clipboard so I write them before hitting Submit so that if I lose my typically lengthy submission, I can quicky paste it back...

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

My two cents: my Amazing Race multicache (3/3)hasn't been visited in 144 days, ....

[This message was edited by GeoROCKS! on June 26, 2003 at 06:55 PM.]

I'm working on your Amazing Race, but these days it's wayyyyyyyy to warm for the last leg. Hope to get there soon!

quote:

My two cents: my Amazing Race multicache (3/3)hasn't been visited in 144 days, and my Celebrity Mole multi/puzzle cache (3/1.5) has hit 70 days with no visits.

This is very interesting; I generally like puzzle caches or caches with interesting themes, but I must confess that neither of those caches appeal to me at all.

It's not just that I don't have any idea about what they are going to involve; I enjoy a lot of mystery caches where I don't know what to expect. Perhaps it's that the descriptions are sufficiently opaque that I am concerned that I would go there and have no idea whether I was doing the right thing or not.

Anyway, that's my feedback about why I've avoided those to date.

Speaking of puzzle caches ... Mavericks just put up an interesting one that acts as a travelogue of animal statues in the Downtown San Jose area. It's fairly easy (2/1) but looks like fun. For all of you FTF fanatics it's unlogged as of 11:15 am Friday. That won't last for long.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6c2b32a9-b457-4bd3-9cd9-3e5a37850dcd

I lent my GPSr to my brother-in-law to get him hooked on the sport during his Tahoe vacation or I would give it a shot at lunch.

/Lefty

I have only a limited number of caches, but here are my stats:

NAME - DIF/TER - MAR - APR - MAY - JUN

European Highways (puzzle) - 2.5/2.5 - 6 - 2 - 2 - 3

Dark Overlook (hike) - 1/2.5 - X - 3 - 3 - 2

crabbels CASE (puzzle) - 4/1 - X - X - 7 - 1

cards are us (regular) - 1.5/1 - X - X - 15 - 4

pass over art (multi) - 2.5/1 - X - X - 8 - 8

Redwood Preserve (regular) - 1.5/2 - X - X - 8 - 9

OTAN (puzzle) - 3.5/2.5 - X - X - 1 - 5

Travel Long Distances (puzzle) - 4/1.5 - X - X - X - 1

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

This is very interesting; I generally like puzzle caches or caches with interesting themes, but I must confess that neither of those caches appeal to me at all.

It's not just that I don't have any idea about what they are going to involve; I enjoy a lot of mystery caches where I don't know what to expect. Perhaps it's that the descriptions are sufficiently opaque that I am concerned that I would go there and have no idea whether I was doing the right thing or not.

Anyway, that's my feedback about why I've avoided those to date.

I appreciate the feedback!

The Amazing Race cache is relatively easy with every step spelled out for the cachers -- with two twists. The Fast Forward (if it's still available, just like on the show) lets you skip a couple steps. If the Fast Forward is missing you simply have to complete the steps you would have otherwise skipped. Unlike on the show, I periodically replace the Fast Forward so that it is frequently available. The second twist is that there are TWO final caches; one you get if you made an incorrect decision (with the "you are eliminated" message), the other you get if you chose correctly. If you get stuck, simply figure out where you went wrong by completing EVERY step of the second leg of the race.

On the other hand, Celebrity Mole is intended to be more difficult and deceiving -- despite its initially innocuous appearance. If you've seen the TV show, you know that one of the players is present to throw a wrench in the works. I bring that theme into the cache; if you don't think outside the box, you won't solve this cache without brute force (i.e. searching each of the many possible locations), but it's obviously solvable.

The third of my elaborate puzzle/multi caches is actually payback to Fizzymagic, The Rat, Kablooey, and others who have set out some other extremely difficult puzzles. This one is a real doozy!! I hope to release it to coincide with both my 500th cache and my first anniversary. While logical and fair, I doubt it will be solved anytime soon!! Doesn't that sound like a challenge?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Full-size caches attract, overall, a somewhat higher find rate than micros in the same population area.

Personally, if I'm having trouble finding a well-hidden cache, whether or not it's a full-sized cache determines how long I continue looking. Ironically, without the spoiler picture listed on my own Chameleon Row micro, if it wasn't mine I wouldn't bother looking for it for more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Maybe somebody can make me a video tape of the Celebrity Mole show? I don't get TV.

I try not to set out extremely difficult puzzles. Dizzying Lengths is difficult, but most of the others are easy, once you figure out what you need to do. I don't know how easy The Amazing Race is. The first stage was pretty tricky to get to when I did it, and I never did find the Fast Forward cache.

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

I try not to set out extremely difficult puzzles. Dizzying Lengths is difficult, but most of the others are easy, once you figure out what you need to do. I don't know how easy The Amazing Race is. The first stage was pretty tricky to get to when I did it, and I never did find the Fast Forward cache.

There are some who would dispute how difficult your puzzles are. As for Amazing Race, I just finished the next-to-last (I hope) leg. The cache was temporarily disabled when I started it last February due to construction at the airport, but I didn't really have that much trouble with the first stage. There have been a lot fo problems after that. The FF wasn't there when I went either, and the coordinates were off by at least 30 feet (I had an 11-satellite lock so the my GPS was steady, and I checked it later by satellite photograph once I figured out where the FF was.) The coordinates at the next stage (EE) were also off, and the distance given in the Low Detour that I just finished today was also wrong according to my GPS, so I am not confidant of the accuracy of the whole thing. In something like this where following directions precisely is important, it is essential that the info given is accurate. I guess we'll find out whether the cache can still be completed soon. I'll be going for the final stage in the next two or three weeks.

quote:

There have been a lot fo problems after that. The FF wasn't there when I went either, and the coordinates were off by at least 30 feet (I had an 11-satellite lock so the my GPS was steady, and I checked it later by satellite photograph once I figured out where the FF was.) The coordinates at the next stage (EE) were also off, and the distance given in the Low Detour that I just finished today was also wrong according to my GPS, so I am not confidant of the accuracy of the whole thing. In something like this where following directions precisely is important, it is essential that the info given is accurate. I guess we'll find out whether the cache can still be completed soon. I'll be going for the final stage in the next two or three weeks.

Then I will give you advice that I normally don't pass out -- make sure you complete BOTH High and Low BEFORE you complete the final stages. With the information you will then have, you can complete the cache on the same trip no matter which "final" cache you run into. I'd also be happy to review any coordinates that you ended up with.

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

I was going to boast of hitting 200 but I have been rather subdued after Georgeandmary's announcement of 2000 (Yes, count the zeros.). Congratulations.

Hotfoot, congrats on your two hundred!

I think GeorgeandMary went past 2000 (posts) a while ago, as they are currently at 2555. Is there anyone ahead of them? icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Buckethead:

I hit 7 today. Weeee! This was my 2nd day of this and I LOVE IT!!!!

Sounds like you are well on your way to a healthy addiction. icon_biggrin.gif Maybe you can play guitar for us at the next event cache (there will be a Pizza event cache up your way on July 9th, so keep that day free).

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

quote:

With all the FTF fevor that goes on in this area, it is amazing that http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65068 that I hid on April 20th is still unfound. With the right vehicle, this is a total driveby cache. icon_wink.gif

Yeah, that one comes up on my PQ. Unfortunately I don't have a 4WD vehicle or I could finally have my first FTF.

This time of year, a car with reasonable ground clearance is all you need. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

I'm always a page of two behind but seeing how this subject still applies...

I have a cache (Where Two Waters Cross) that's still waiting it's FTF that I placed on 2/17/03. I'm sure it would be found by the first hunter and you can take any car.

The only three things that keep cachers from hunting it are the distance (which isn't all that far), the snow (which is gone for the summer) and fear. icon_eek.gif If you liked Fear Factor, you'll really like (Where Two Waters Cross) . No special equipment or vehicles required... bring your camera. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

''There's three kinds of people in the world... Those that can count - And those that can't.''

quote:

My most popular caches -- Davenport Landing (a 1/2 ammo can) and Chameleon Row (a 2/1 micro) -- get regular visits every few days.

For the record, Ricky and I tried to visit this one a few weeks ago and the area was closed for a "private event". We got asked by a security guard to LEAVE! icon_mad.gif Didn't make a very good first impression of our first visit to Santana Row!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

We will try again, though. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by barefoot&twinkle:

I dunno if Buckethead is _THE_ Buckethead, but if so, asking him to play at the pizza party is like asking...uh, well, there's no appropriate comparison. It would be a pizza party you would never forget and we'll just leave it at that. icon_wink.gif

I'd be there for that one, bring band-aids

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

quote:

Sounds like you are well on your way to a healthy addiction. icon_biggrin.gif Maybe you can play guitar for us at the next event cache (there will be a Pizza event cache up your way on July 9th, so keep that day free).

Could you please elaborate on this? Haven't heard about any Pizza outing, but wouldn't mind to join, if my cache count permits me to mingle with the 10000+ folks, that is ;-)

... where is it?

I bought a travel bug and it is on its way to my coop. How do I use it? Do I attach it to an item like I've seen others do? Need some experienced travel buggers to gimme~ a little guidance. The bucket always appreciates the kind, informative help geocachers have to offer. Thank you in advance for your efforts. GEOCACHING FOREVER!!

Wuv,

Buckethead

Guitars, GPS's, and Chickenbones...

quote:

I bought a travel bug and it is on its way to my coop. How do I use it? Do I attach it to an item like I've seen others do? Need some experienced travel buggers to gimme~ a little guidance.

Travel bugs come in many shapes and sizes. Some (not many) are just the tag itself (on a chain, usually). Most others are attached to some interesting object that gives the bug its personality. If your bug makes it down our way, Joani will be glad to add a laminated info tag to it so that people will know its goal, and brief instructions on how it is used, so if someone picks it up in a cache, they won't mistake it for a normal trade item.

--Marky

quote:

TY,

Appreciate the Info. you two. Can't wait till that little critter arrives. Muahahahaha!

Maybe you could find a little free range chicken to make into a travel bug. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Keeping one alive long enough might be hard to do, Marky. (air conditioned Bucket, etc.) Trying to keep the overhead low on this first one, lol. Plus think of the difficulty in hiding a cache of that girth. Weeeee!

xoxo, Buckethead

Guitars, GPS's, and Chickenbones...

quote:

In the first 20 days only one finder, then in the last two days there have been three. A very interesting cache, especially the way it has turned out to be solved. Where there's a will there's a way. I know lots of other trite sayings, too.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=19358f8d-3eec-42c8-8679-6d9b6296d06e

I'm pretty curious to find out how everyone else figured it out (including how the puzzle was supposed to work).

Well, look at that, I managed to make my first post (the other times I've tried, something wouldn't let me).

payakoi

My cache Eschew Obfuscation (dead link not included) has been found by corporate security and confiscated. Anyone waiting for an opportunity to go back and log should avoid the area. I will try to retrieve the cache and place it elsewhere nearby. I cannot log on the cache page because Groundspeak has apparently taken it offline, so I am posting this here. I know of at least one cacher who told me they were planning to go back.

quote:

My cache Eschew Obfuscation (dead link not included) has been found by corporate security and confiscated. Anyone waiting for an opportunity to go back and log should avoid the area. I will try to retrieve the cache and place it elsewhere nearby. I cannot log on the cache page because Groundspeak has apparently taken it offline, so I am posting this here. I know of at least one cacher who told me they were planning to go back.

Why was placed in the middle of a company's private property anyway? Even though we weren't approached by security when we tried it, we thought we would be any minute.

Jeff

quote:
Originally posted by boulter:

Why was placed in the middle of a company's private property anyway? Even though we weren't approached by security when we tried it, we thought we would be any minute.

Jeff

It seemed like a good idea at the time. icon_redface.gif

Maybe half of the caches in the South Bay are on private property and almost all of those are without the knowledge or permission of the property owner. Urban Assault, anyone? I have one other, but the head of security there knows about it and has okayed it. Anyway, the cache page is working again, and I've logged a note there, so there is no need to clog this board over this. Feel free to log comments on the cache page.

quote:

My cache Eschew Obfuscation (dead link not included) has been found by corporate security and confiscated. Anyone waiting for an opportunity to go back and log should avoid the area. I will try to retrieve the cache and place it elsewhere nearby.

Yow. Someone was just telling me the other day that I should go for this one.

And yes... There are LOTS of caches around here that are on private property. Some of the Urban Assaults are more obviously on private property than others...

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.