SF Bay Area geocachers

I agree george, that would be awesome. I thought someone was writing one. I think I saw ClayJar mention that he was thinking about a palm version of watcher. That certainly would be cool.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Thanks to all the cachers who had ideas on my PDA and Watcher not showing some caches even though they were in a file which showed them in EasyGPS as coordinates.

Loading newer versions of the programs I was using has cleared up the problem whatever it was.

Fizzy is taking a look at the original file (zip with gpx inside) as a *treasure hunt* to see why the older versions of the programs did not see those questioned caches.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

While seeking the "Mystery Science Theater" Cache yesterday at lunch, I walked to the cache location to find the cache container sitting in clear view on top of a garbage can. After doing a trade and the paperwork I re-placed it in a bush behind the can since I wasn't too sure where it was supposed to go. Well, I guess that the gardeners weren't through with that particular bush and it looks like they found it again as I checked this morning and it was gone. I have E-mailed the cache owner with this sad news.

Any suggestion on what would have been a more appropriate way to deal with this?

I think now I should have taken the cache for safekeeping and re-hid it later and taken new coordinates. The Sunnyvale Gardeners are a very efficient crew apparently. Sunnyvale parks are more groomed than Singapore, where an ugly garden will get you caned

I hate being the "Last To Find" a cache

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Yes Inspector, it could have been....Mules are not so sensitive to that green substance. And we are already sterile so ignorance is, uh, I forgot what it is.

Actually Inspector, your assistance is probably needed at the "Resurrection of Superman Cache" as a "stiff" was discovered there this week. Poor Jimswim had to deal with that one. Could Kryptonite have had anything to do with that?

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

While seeking the "Mystery Science Theater" Cache yesterday at lunch, I walked to the cache location to find the cache container sitting in clear view on top of a garbage can. After doing a trade and the paperwork I re-placed it in a bush behind the can since I wasn't too sure where it was supposed to go. Well, I guess that the gardeners weren't through with that particular bush and it looks like they found it again as I checked this morning and it was gone. I have E-mailed the cache owner with this sad news.

Any suggestion on what would have been a more appropriate way to deal with this?

I think now I should have taken the cache for safekeeping and re-hid it later and taken new coordinates. The Sunnyvale Gardeners are a very efficient crew apparently. Sunnyvale parks are more groomed than Singapore, where an ugly garden will get you caned

Being last to find is always a bad feeling. I think either of those options would have been fine. You did good in re-hiding it. Looking back now, it's easy to see that the area the cache was hidden in was not going to last no matter what. There are some fun places to hide a micro around there, but it will be hard to find a place to hide a full sized cache, I think. We got there around 5 something yesterday and it was already gone. For a placement like that to last, it would have to be with permission of the park and the gardening staff would have to know to leave it.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

I think now I should have taken the cache for safekeeping and re-hid it later and taken new coordinates. The Sunnyvale Gardeners are a very efficient crew apparently.

I have been having a related problem: horrible luck with my own caches going missing or being wrecked. In the last month 9 of my 13 caches have disappeared, been destroyed, needed moving, been fenced in for construction, or otherwise needed major attention - some of them twice. In one case the destruction was obviously vandalism caused intentionally by a geocacher.

I realize now that choosing a good location and container are important. Pick something/someplace that will stay dry even in a downpour, will not be removed by gardeners or other service workers, and is virtually impossible to discover unless in possession of specific cache info. Use plastic bags (Ziploc, etc.) for the inside stuff. I'm going to stay away from foliage as much as possible in future placements. Has anybody else had such bad luck lately or am I just cursed?

Over the last couple of years, I have had a few go missing and the interesting thing is, it *had* to be a geocacher who did it.

The ones that went missing were in wilderness areas where they would not be accidentally discovered by non-cachers.

Too bad that thieves exist among our ranks...or if not thieves, malevolent cachers who do it for whatever reason. The sad thing is, the only people they hurt are the first one or two non-suspecting cache hunters who come along and can't find the cache.

ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I talked with an East Bay Regional Park police person that said they were learning to use GPSrs in their work and one of the things they were assigned to do was find a cache. I assumed they didn't disturb the cache but, possibly, they must bring in the cache and show it to their instructor to demonstrate their success.

This park district seems to consider geocaching a rather benign hobby which they neither encourage nor discourage.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Go read Jimswim's log on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=67199.

Just do it.

FTF? No way! I put my foot down. (Or someone's foot down). Jimswim was second to find but even that is a far streach as he was lead to it.

But really, this is a rather rude reminder that we need to cache with both eyes open. I once had a guy pull a knife out while I was caching but because I saw him before he saw me, I made it out without incident. I know of another cacher that got a FTF on a large drug drop (with intent to traffic out of State I'd guess). Finally, last year I was hunting a cache in Ripon and about a month later, there was a large pot farm busted rather close to the cache.

Bottom line is... be careful... stay alert... carry a cell-phone.

No FTF on this one, Jimswim. Sorry! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

46085_2300%20Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalteco:

icon_smile.gif Hey Hey!!! I just made 300 (305 actually). It's been fun over the last 18 months. Can't wait for the next 18.

Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif Having fun is what it's all about. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Fizzy, I hear I am in your dept for having some of the 5/11 hint on crabbels CASE removed. I would like to know if anyone solved it WITHOUT the benefit of the extra formatting of the 5/11 hint. I sure didn't. If Kusanagi hadn't clued me in, I never would have. There just isn't (in my opinion) enough information presented to get you home without at least some hint as to what you are supposed to do with the info. At least maybe I'll get to sign the log before you. You are a sick man. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

I have been getting so many requests for hints that I just added a bit more in the way of clues for K3 Gang icon_razz.gif

Well, this tells me that I was on the right track, but I still haven't made the leap. Oh well. Hopefully sleeping on it will help. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

--Marky

Hi All,

Here is some additional information on the "Haunted Toys" cache by Marky and Joanie. The finders comments regarding the difficulty in grabbing or retrieveing the cache are interesting. I myself had to hold on to it while the unknowing were seemingly camped out in a van next to it. I didn't mention it in my cache log as only last week I was the Last To Find a cache and thought my luck was in need of some assistance.....but I am not alone..Anyway, check out this new article on the Sunnyvale Toys R Us

http://sunnyvalesun.com/sv-news4.shtml

Cheers

MtM

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Oh well. Hopefully sleeping on it will help. icon_wink.gif

Sleeping on it helped a lot. Plus, Joani solved a major piece this afternoon as well. A very tough and satisfying puzzle.

--Marky

Congratulations to Marky & Joani for solving K3!

As I mentioned to ‘The Rat’ in e-mail a while back, I was going to tackle this on a plane-ride out to and back from the east coast. I started, and I believe I solved the decryption, but about 15 minutes later, we hit some nasty turbulence, my PC fell on the floor, it hit the metal of the seat in front of me, and the LCD display died! Well, ‘Fy’ and I have been meaning (for over 8 months now...) to purchase a new monitor for her computer anyway as her current one hisses like an old steam heater, so when I landed in Savannah (we flew separately - long boring story) I drove out to a Best Buy and purchased a new monitor, and my laptop is using the external monitor in the hotel room right now... sigh... !!!

Any-how, that means that I've spent no time on the “2nd half” as there are 12 caches at this location we are staying and we probably will never be back here, so off we go to try to find those.

Interesting thing about these caches out here...

A few of them keep having logs that say “Almost ran into a ’gator!” or “Saw a ’gator a few feet away!”

We don’t wanna see no ’gators!

There are two multi-caches that start miles apart, but have their second stage within a few feet of each other! And the second stage for both is just a set of coordinates, with no mention as to the cache name you are hunting stored with them! So people seem to start on one cache, and mistaking grab the 2nd stage from the other, and end up finishing the other cache.

Well, Fy’s finally awake...

-Jif

Just a heads up for you cachers from the "other" bay area...

The Central Coast Geocachers of California are having a picnic event on Saturday, June 21st, in Monterey, 4 pm to sunset. Details and RSVP info in the link below.

This is casual, come when you can, but we've got a few mini-events in the works: a kids' mini-cache hunt, a guided hike for newbies to some close-by caches, a mini-Trash-out affair, a Tall Tales of Caching Contest, etc.

Please join us if you are so inclined, all are welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

Info/RSVP:

Summer Solstice Central Coast Caching Picnic

== Alt Dot Air ==

GPX problems...

I'm having some problems converting this GPX file to doc. It has come straight from Groundspeak, with no playing around in Watcher. This happens with this particular search result EVERY DAY. I think there is something corrupted about the file.

Here's the file.

Can anyone else get it to work?

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Live geocaching help 1-800-ASK-KEEN extension 0324998 - call when you're out caching and you get stuck!

Buy Tupperware for cache containers.

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

Can anyone else get it to work?

Becky, EasyGPS had no problems with that file. GPX Spinner 2.0.6 also had no problems with it. Which program were you trying to use it with?

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

Where'd everyone go?

Yeah, it's been real quiet on the board lately. I suspect there will be a spate of postings soon, though, because of the 3-day weekend with good weather. I think there were a lot of finds out there, and I know there were a lot of new caches placed in the last week. There were five placed within five miles of my house. Also, the tough puzzle caches have been getting some workouts. I managed five level 4 or higher caches today, and TeamJiffy just logged K3 Gang. I saw several other recent logs on the sheets for the ones I solved, too. Totals will be jumping.

quote:
Becky, EasyGPS had no problems with that file. GPX Spinner 2.0.6 also had no problems with it. Which program were you trying to use it with?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was trying to use Fuzzy's GPXdoc to convert it to PalmDoc and it wouldn't work.

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Live geocaching help 1-800-ASK-KEEN extension 0324998 - call when you're out caching and you get stuck!

Hi Everyone,

Plannin on a few days in SF on my yearly migration home. (Mammoth)

To maximize my cache-time; what are the MUST SEE caches in the Bay Area?

Also, easy-medium-short walk-grab -n- go- +THEEEEE coooolest virts?

I'll be there near mid July.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:

Hey Texas,

Check out caches by Ruprex, he has the "urban assualt series" that are a lot of fun in the bay area.

Cheers

MtM

Thanks MtM!

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Re 45 Thousand Oaks. Found 4 bugs, dropped off 5 (but I think one was pilferred by muggles the next day). Placed a micro for Ventura Kids, and true to form, they had FTF w/in 2 hrs of posting tonight.

Re Bay Area... pick a city. SF: you can walk/bike to 15 in 2 miles. I like SK8er's Delight, it's sitting on a dock by the Bay. Sounds by the Bay, also a great view. Puzzle caches, go to Livermore and the South Bay. Beating youirself with a stick: Mt. Diablo and Las Trampas areas.

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

Re 45 Thousand Oaks. Found 4 bugs, dropped off 5 (but I think one was pilferred by muggles the next day). Placed a micro for Ventura Kids, and true to form, they had FTF w/in 2 hrs of posting tonight.

Re Bay Area... pick a city. SF: you can walk/bike to 15 in 2 miles. I like SK8er's Delight, it's sitting on a dock by the Bay. Sounds by the Bay, also a great view. Puzzle caches, go to Livermore and the South Bay. Beating youirself with a stick: Mt. Diablo and Las Trampas areas.

Hey thanks! Keep an eye out for bugs from my travel bug migration gettin dropped there. Approx. 35 with permission from their owners so far plus some of my 108 tbugs. Several want to get off there. I will be posting an update on my profile in about 18 hours or so.

Hi all. Got to work today and went to log a cache I found on the way, and found that my numbers were down by three. Anyone else? It's not any of the more recent logs, as I started keeping track on my Palm a few months ago. Gotta be something older. Since some of you have found everything around here, I'm thinking maybe you might be missing something too and know what it is. I'm at a loss (and mad).

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

and found that my numbers were down by three. Anyone else?

You keep track of your numbers?! icon_eek.gif

Just kidding. icon_biggrin.gif I hadn't noticed any missing.

--Marky

quote:
You keep track of your numbers!?

Well, only because I'm trying to get to 100 by my 30th birthday, July 5. icon_smile.gif And I'm darn close, darn it!

PS I seem to have found and fixed the problem.

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Geocaching Camporee

Would anyone be interested in helping me plan a "geocaching camporee" at a local campground? Mt. Madonna and Sanborn Skyline have reasonably priced group campgrounds that a number of us could go in on for a weeekend. People who are good at such things could, perhaps, plan some activities, we could have a weenie and marshmallow roast, etc... Hmm maybe even some caching...

But I can't do it alone (now I am going to have that song from "Chicago" in my head). Who among you would be interested?? icon_cool.gif

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Well, with my birthday coming up around our Geocaching anniversary....

For those who don’t understand, you have to read Oregone’s hysterical logs...

Coincidentally, Marky&Joani and Fy&I share pretty much the same Geocaching start date... our anniversary target is 500 finds.. they’ll probably be somewhere between 1300-1400. Approx. 2.5x the finds of us. They’ve been.. more... umm...efficient! icon_wink.gif

-Jif