SF Bay Area geocachers

Did anybody notice that the cache hex ID's rolled over to 5 digits yesterday? (That's 65,536 caches submitted and counting.)

The funny thing is that the cache pages have a bug that still show 4 hex digits with "FFFF" rolling to "G000" instead of "10000" icon_biggrin.gif

Ah, let me put it this way, waypionts before GCFFFF were hexidecimal. It used numbers 0-9,and letters A-F, 16 symboils, hexadecimial, hex means 6 decimal is 10 6+10 is 16.

This mean you could use 4 spaces to count up to 65535. Well, we're past that, and we're still using 4 places so GC is usuing base 31 from here on in so gcg000 is in the base 31 system.... kind of.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by Lamneth:

Did anybody notice that the cache hex ID's rolled over to 5 digits yesterday? (That's 65,536 caches submitted and counting.)

The funny thing is that the cache pages have a bug that still show 4 hex digits with "FFFF" rolling to "G000" instead of "10000" icon_biggrin.gif

It's not a bug, it's a way to keep the existing unique waypoints, but allow more 4 digit cache guids. Basically, everything FFFF and before will go by the hex encoding like it always has. Anything bigger than FFFF will go by this weird base 32 sequence:

0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRSTVWXYZ

This sequence was chosen because it avoids letters that might be mistaken for numbers. However, it does make the algorithm for going from base 32 to base 10(the ID that is used in the URL) a bit more challenging.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

It looks to me like the cache ID's went from 65566="G00Z" to 65567="G010" making it Base 31 (above FFFF)...

dadgum! GC"G00P" is already taken. Now I'll have to wait for GC"G0RY" icon_smile.gif

Hehe, it's going to be a long time before we get to GCSH1T...

Since there are 32 possible 'digits', it is base 32. Then again, maybe I'm counting the 'digits' wrong.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Hmm, my valid char list must be wrong. I counted someone elses and it only had 31. So one of the letters above isn't used. Not the first mistake I've made... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRSTVWXYZ

This is apparently the correct sequence:

0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRTVWXYZ

I guess they dropped S so that you couldn't have a CGSH1T cache (actually, because it's too close to 5, I bet).

--Marky

[This message was edited by Marky on April 25, 2003 at 09:10 AM.]

They skipped "S". The sequence is...

0123456789ABCDEFGHJKMNPQRTVWXYZ

...definitely 31 characters.

Here's another piece of useless information:

The system still recognizes Hex format, so if you enter "GC1003D" in the waypoint search box, you'll get the "GCG01Z" cache page. Hex is still alive, just wearing a mask icon_wink.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by KimBeattie (Kimbo):

A Short History of Geocaching

Just something I've been meaning to put together for sometime now. Finally found the time to do it.

Enjoy.

That is a very cool timeline! Lots of wonderful links. Kind of gives you a neat view into how it all shaped up. Thanks so much for putting this together.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Ok, here's a question.. if base sixteen is hexadecimal, what do you call base 31?

I'm sure you already know this, but since I started the topic I feel obligated to reply...

The more common number bases have the following names:

Binary (Base 2)

Octal (Base 8)

Decimal (Base 10)

Hexadecimal (Base 16)

Base 31 doesn't have a common name, but even if it did, we would have to make up a new name for the Geocaching Base16/Base31 hybrid... Obtuseimal comes to mind.

quote:

Ok, here's a question.. if base sixteen is hexadecimal, what do you call base 31?

george

Wanna go for a ride?

I think it's called triacontamonodecimal, but make sure you're eating a peanut butter sandwich before you say it.

When it rains it pours - and other cliches. For weeks it seemed like there were few new caches placed and very little activity on this forum, compared to past periods. Then, all of a sudden, the Nearest To list, at least in the South Bay, just flooded with new caches. The Trolley series provides a bunch, but even without those, quite a few new ones showed up. And on the forum we filled up half a page or so in a day. What is it - when the weather is too bad to go out caching (if that's possible) do we just post and coast?

Inspector Henderson,

It zeems one of your deputies are on de job.  We zee he stole de pieze of me

b4 we logged it.  Bring to picnic. Do not post numbers again or zuperman iz

toast. U muzt play by de rules, he cannot be saved b4 next Zunday.  De

rotten weather has delayed de rock drops.

- K -

Death to Superman

Hey Kryptonite,

What you are talkin about punk? What do ya mean don't post any numbers? When I met with the old gang Thursday evening, they showed me a piece of evidence. Real solid stuff. I now know who you really are and will finger you at the picnic. Oh yeah, I also see you have a partner now. What's a matter punk, can't handle it by yourself. Well, I'm on to him also so it won't help ya none.

By the way punk, what's taken so long with the rest of the instructions? Don't tell me ya let a little rain slow ya down. Just what I thought...a real whimp

Boy, this board got awfully quiet. Don't let that green guy scare you away. With Inspector Henderson on the job, you are in no danger from the likes of Kryptonite.

Yesterday was a rare no caching day for us. icon_wink.gif Amazingly, the rain is still lingering around this week. Come May, I think the rain can take the rest of spring and summer off. icon_biggrin.gif The wildflowers along the trails have been amazing.

--Marky

Yez I am a whimp. I do my deeds in daylight, not skulking around at night like you, Inspector. All ze piezes are plazed. Go get dem and sort them on Zunday. I got an urn from Mama Cass for Zooperman's ashes juzt in case you try to cheat.

quote:
Originally posted by Inspector Henderson:

Hey Kryptonite,

What you are talkin about punk? What do ya mean don't post any numbers? When I met with the old gang Thursday evening, they showed me a piece of evidence. Real solid stuff. I now know who you really are and will finger you at the picnic. Oh yeah, I also see you have a partner now. What's a matter punk, can't handle it by yourself. Well, I'm on to him also so it won't help ya none.

By the way punk, what's taken so long with the rest of the instructions? Don't tell me ya let a little rain slow ya down. Just what I thought...a real whimp

Death to Superman

quote:

Here's another piece of useless information:

The system still recognizes Hex format, so if you enter "GC1003D" in the waypoint search box, you'll get the "GCG01Z" cache page. Hex is still alive, just wearing a mask icon_wink.gif.

I don't know how long that will remain. The system is quite definitely base 32; the specs were discussed in another thread I can't find right now. I have a Perl script that changes the GC to cache number, and so far it seems to work fine.

The issue is that many GPS units can only accept 6-character waypoint names, so the natural extension of the hex digits wouldn't work. But we convinced TPTB that changing existing waypoint names would be a bad idea; thus, everything below GCFFFF is still hex.

Congratulations on getting GCG004. Pretty close to the magic number, huh?

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

The issue is that many GPS units can only accept 6-character waypoint names, so the natural extension of the hex digits wouldn't work. But we convinced TPTB that changing existing waypoint names would be a bad idea; thus, everything below GCFFFF is still hex.

I think they should have just dropped the GC prefix and gone to 6 digits. That's what they'll need to do anyway when they run out of numbers again, unless somebody has a better idea.

quote:

Yesterday was a rare no caching day for us. icon_wink.gif

Saturday was my first no-caching day in over two months. It's all LaPaglia's fault. Anyway, I seem to be an unfair-weather cacher. I didn't leave the house at all during the sunny weekend until 9pm Sunday, at which point it promptly started to rain.

quote:

Does anyone remember the old "Date Kablooey Cache"? Does Woof get to claim a find?

There have been a few finds logged on that cache page. I guess we'll have to wait and see. icon_wink.gif

hey now don't go spreading rummors!

Kryptonite's accent is kind of doing it for me though.

Happy Halloween

[This message was edited by Woof! on April 29, 2003 at 08:29 PM.]

Kryptonite AKA: Whimp

Listen up whimp, a good dick does whatever it takes ta git the job done. I'll work 24/7 to save my friend Superman and, unlike you, I won't let a little rain or darkness stand in ma way. I'm startin' to roll now and have picked off 2 pieces already punk. Since I do work for a livin'(unlike some people I know), I might need some help from some of ya good folks out there. If ya want ta pitch in ta save Superman, send me an email and we'll work out da details. If not, I'll go it alone.

Hey Marky, thanks for the pitch… You da man!

icu, jsut checking in, best of luck and be careful

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

quote:

Does anyone remember the old "Date Kablooey Cache"? Does Woof get to claim a find?

There have been a few finds logged on that cache page. I guess we'll have to wait and see. icon_wink.gif

Happy Halloween

All I can zay iz : wooooof...........woooof

quote:
Originally posted by Woof!:

quote:

Happy Halloween

Death to Superman

Can't do it on your own, need the #1 cacher to help you?? You should

be able to make the grand tour in one rainy night, just like you did

before.

quote:

Kryptonite AKA: Whimp

Listen up whimp, a good dick does whatever it takes ta git the job done. I'll work 24/7 to save my friend Superman and, unlike you, I won't let a little rain or darkness stand in ma way. I'm startin' to roll now and have picked off 2 pieces already punk. Since I do work for a livin'(unlike some people I know), I might need some help from some of ya good folks out there. If ya want ta pitch in ta save Superman, send me an email and we'll work out da details. If not, I'll go it alone.

Death to Superman

quote:

If ya want ta pitch in ta save Superman, send me an email and we'll work out da details. If not, I'll go it alone.

I picked up the one in Little Liz on the way home so I have one now. I'll look for others that I might come by. Maybe we need a web page that has links to the ones that haven't been found yet. I could do that if you think it would be useful.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonite:

Can't do it on your own, need the #1 cacher to help you??

Who're you callin' #1 punk? I'm #2 or lower on every list and that's the way I like it. icon_razz.gif

--Marky

Muley is getting old, but I finally made it to 100!!! Wheeee! Tried again for "Sly Dog's Big Lady" to be my 100th but she fooled me AGAIN! Anyway, I'll bring Chick-N-Rock to worship at the stainless steel lady, maybe she'll see it.

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Picnic/gathering this Sunday

Hi SF Bay Area Cachers,

Here's a reminder that we're having a first-time regional get-together this coming Sunday, May 4 at Fremont Central Park. You're all invited, of course. Please go over to the cache page and RSVP, if you haven't already. Look forward to meeting many of you!

Picnic details

-TeamJiffy

Was that really you at Mama Cass or one of your team members? I just got a cache notification that you were there and got a rock. Do you need me to get some as well?

quote:

Listen Kryptonite,

Any job worth doing is worth doing together...as a team.

Not my problemo - someone muzt be a bad parent keeping hiz kids out late at nite playing games on a school nite. Be careful, the Alameda Board of Social Services may be monitoring dis board.

quote:

Now that you've ticked off the kids Kryptonite...you're toast pal!

Death to Superman