SF Bay Area geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by mhop:

I thought all parks were public places. Well, some are less public than others it seems. I was thinking about putting a cache in Palo Alto's Foothills park, but I'm not sure when I'll be wealthy enough to do that. It's open to Palo Alto residents only.

http://www.halplotkin.com/MetroArticles/metro2_21_91sec1.htm

MHOP icon_confused.gif

Private Parks... as long as it's Private Property, that's the way it goes. But if it's funded, even in part by non-residents, then I have a problem. Local sales taxes would be an example of taxing people that pass through but can't play. Also, using public employees to work in or service their club would get me spun up as well. Equally, I don't care if I can't walk into your backyard and join your bar-b-que... as long as you don't take the public picnic tables and garbage cans back there for it. [i'd bet they don't take too much care to seperate the local funded items from the public funded items so that's what my focus would be - if I where concerned.]

Thanks for the insight to Golden Bear. I thought I had something. I am currently waiting for a reply to verify before I waste my fuel/time. With all the DNF's, I'm getting interested.

I'm looking forward to Beefcider moving here. I want to see him land that bird at his new digs! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe there will even be a private tour, too!

Trash in/Trash out day... The locals in Manteca and Modesto have completed the first half of the project. [Trash IN that is]. Now to get the Trash OUT! I'm not sure if there's anything planned but I know I need to get over to a couple of my cache-lands. This may not be on the official date, but Everyday is a Trash-Out day if you care. No need to get your picture taken. icon_wink.giffrog.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The [PERSON] who reads nothing at all, is better educated then the [PERSON] who reads nothing but newspapers." Thomas Jefferson

39570_500.jpg

For those of you who mourn the loss of the icon which allows you to see a cacher's geocaching.com profile (not the forum profile) try this:

Click on the forum poster's name above the picture on the left side of the post.

When the drop down box comes up, click on *see posts by this cacher* (or words to that effect).

When a list of forum posts comes up, click on the person's name on the right side of the page.

This brings up the forum poster's *real* profile. Not as convenient as the old one step icon approach, but it works and is especially useful for cachers who are unknown to you.

Enjoy!

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

The Golden Bear, we founded it!

Man, what an annoying little guy. I feel sorry for anyone who has this guy on their front page haunting them... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

[This message was edited by Marky on April 09, 2003 at 11:18 PM.]

Sure can't read the article (as it all looks messed up) but the picture sure looks like an attachment. That's not too surprising as I have somewhat the same thing for my PDA. It only take the monitor when you plug in a few PBC's and an antenna.

Good things do come in small packages.

Bill of Green Achers

"There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a sudden rise in ocean level wouldn't cure." Ross McDonald

39570_500.jpg

I Que - God Bless You! icon_biggrin.gif [sounds like someone sneezing]

Yes, that was one of the PDA's we wanted be buy but it wasn't available at the time and I couldn't wait.

It all worked out well as Wally's World made an offer we couldn't refuse. I picked up a Palm Visor with Map CD and a Magellan GPS Companion (for the Visor) and batteries for the lot - all for about $170 U.S. [Don't bother looking as it was a close out deal]. Not too bad for getting a WAA GPSr.

Now if I can just figure out how to solve all Lamneth's caches, I could then locate them too. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a sudden rise in ocean level wouldn't cure." Ross McDonald

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

_Bay Area Picnic_

As part of the "entertainment" at the Bay Area and Beyond picnic coming up, we're going to have a "flag" game that you use your GPS for. This was done with great success at the Vasona Park picnic last summer. Does anyone have the details that they could share with us?

This was done at the Ed Levin picnic last November as well. It's a lot of fun. I don't know who currently has the numbered flags though. George or Mary, do you know? Marty?

Also as part of the entertainment, Joani and I will be having another multi-cache competition with a FTF prize of some type. It will take place in the park and will become a permanent multi-cache for those that don't make it (or aren't in the mood to 'compete').

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

They were pepper's flags and I don't know what became of them.

The hardest part of the flag game is getting all the waypoints loaded into the gps. If you do it again, it would be nice if you could have a laptop ready to load up everyone's gps's before the event so we can spend more time hunting and less time inputing.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

George stop complaining and input the waypoints by hand and chit-chat at the same time. icon_biggrin.gif

The flags were taken by Claire with the KoolKoalos.

Ya'll have fun not ya hear.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Horizontals where it's at!

I was handed a sheet with 40, count them 1,2,3...40 waypoints. I started entering the waypoints and then who comes to chat.... fizzy. I just couldn't work the thumb and chat at the same time. I think it was his job to destract me so others could win. It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

So, if someone just creates an .loc file we can just upload it and we can chat. BTW, do you know how many flags I found that day? Zero.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I was handed a sheet with 40, count them 1,2,3...40 waypoints.

That sounds like a different flag game than the one that Marty did for us (which involved just one waypoint and a projection).

40 seems like a lot of waypoints to enter by hand. I could definitely bring a laptop, but non-magellan folks would have to bring their own cable. Why so many waypoints, how is that game played?

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

I was handed a sheet with 40, count them 1,2,3...40 waypoints.

That sounds like a different flag game than the one that Marty did for us (which involved just one waypoint and a projection).

40 seems like a lot of waypoints to enter by hand. I could definitely bring a laptop, but non-magellan folks would have to bring their own cable. Why so many waypoints, how is that game played?

--Marky

It was fun. Pepper hid 40 flags at shadow cliffs and then sent us out to find them. Who ever found the most won.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

It was fun. Pepper hid 40 flags at shadow cliffs and then sent us out to find them. Who ever found the most won.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I offer up this variant to throw a monkey wrench into the mix:

All flags are numbered, 1 - 40. All flags are worth 1 point, EXCEPT for two flags, one which is worth -5 and one that is worth -10. Which flags are the "bomb" flags are unknown until everyone returns and the totals are counted. That way, the person who collects the most flags has a higher percentage chance of getting a "bomb" flag. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

That sounds like a lot of fun. I offer up this variant to throw a monkey wrench into the mix:

All flags are numbered, 1 - 40. All flags are worth 1 point, _EXCEPT_ for two flags, one which is worth -5 and one that is worth -10. Which flags are the "bomb" flags are unknown until everyone returns and the totals are counted. That way, the person who collects the most flags has a higher percentage chance of getting a "bomb" flag. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

This sounds like a lot of fun. Since we've covered the reservation fee for the picnic area, would someone else want to buy 40 flags? Or does someone know if "Claire with the KoolKoalos", whom Pepper mentioned, is a local person??

Thanks,

Fy

Go to Home Depot I think they were 10 or 12 for a dollar. They also come in a varity of colors.

Just ask the Home Depot folks they can get ya to the right isle.

btw Claire has left Pleasanton and is now on a three to four month American tour vacation.

Gosh I miss all the fun you folks have down there.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Go to Home Depot I think they were 10 or 12 for a dollar. They also come in a varity of colors.

Just ask the Home Depot folks they can get ya to the right isle.

btw Claire has left Pleasanton and is now on a three to four month American tour vacation.

Gosh I miss all the fun you folks have down there.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Thanks, Pepper. I'll take care of it, folks.

And many people down here miss you!

Fy

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Actually, I have all the flags in my car. Claire said she couldn't take them because she wouldn't be around for the next event; so she gave them to me.

I had the feeling that someone had them, I just didn't know who. icon_smile.gif

It probably would be too much trouble to have a laptop there, just because of all the different GPS models, cables, baud rates, etc. required. I guess George will just have to enter them by hand and consider it part of the 'competition'. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Just Curios, since someone needs to the get coordinates for the flag game. Couldn't they copy the coords to a floppy or cd. If some one wants to download they could bring their own laptop.

I know it's not necessarily fair, but a nice perk for those that could afford it. Also it might mean more cables and baud rates.

quote:
Originally posted by kusanagi:

Couldn't they copy the coords to a floppy or cd. If some one wants to download they could bring their own laptop.

Or, someone could upload the .loc file the night before, or really early the cache event day so we can download them at home.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

We took my Mom and Dad caching today. My Dad found 4 of the 5 today - including some 2.5 find difficulties

So, do you think he will start using his GPS now? icon_wink.gif

--Marky

My tires were getting to be too bald (to the point where they were bad on dry surface, not just wet surface), so I went and got new tires. It took nearly four hours, during which time I actually was able to create a cache for all my favorite Bay Area geocachers. Anyway, martyfouts wanted me to make sure that Marky's closest 300 didn't stay clear for a full 24 hours.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65075

If that link isn't live yet, try:

http://www.bluescollectibles.com/geocaching/happypuppy.html

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Anyway, martyfouts wanted me to make sure that Marky's closest 300 didn't stay clear for a full 24 hours.

Marty is an evil, evil person. No wonder we like him so much. icon_wink.gif Still, I don't see him placing any evil caches, so maybe you are really the evil one and are trying to throw us off by mentioning Marty's name. icon_wink.gif And after looking at the cache page, well, my mom said if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything...

--Marky

Happy Puppy

We made our first attempt at Happy Puppy this afternoon. We spent about an hour looking around for it. Fortunately, it's close enough to home to stop by now and then, if we think of anything else to try. Everyone should try this one at least once. (I wouldn't say that about Golden Bear though.)

--Marky

"outing" a bay area cacher....?

No, it's not what you think.

I have a cache pending approval. It was archived by an approver in the East. I think this fellow is pretty new at approving, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, he wanted me to put the cache to a vote, but I suggested HE put it up on the special approvers private forum and run it past his fellow approvers.

He did so, and so far about 6 of them have looked at it, but I have not been apprised of any change in its status.

ALSO, since I made it members only, I can see the audit trail and guess what!?

A well-known bay area cacher is on the list of people who have looked at this. As far as I know, only approvers can look at an archived cache, so I believe this person is an approver.

I have no reason to "out" this person, but I find it a rather interesting piece of info, and I wonder if this person might want to contact me and let me know his thinking on this particular archived cache, and anything else he wishes to share.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 22, 2003 at 08:23 AM.]

OK...in regard to who can access an unapproved, archived cache.

I asked two members and one non-member to try to look at two of my caches which were at that time not approved. One of them was archived.

The non-member has not responded yet, but the two members have.

Before they could look at the cache that was not approved yet, it got approved and they were able to access it.

HOWEVER, when they looked at the cache that was not approved AND archived, they got the hide a cache screen and not the cache page.

It seems to me that when I go looking at the *list* of cache numbers and I run into caches that are not approved yet that's the screen I get.

I still think that the person who accessed my archived cache which was not approved IS an approver, but with all the variables in database operations, it is possible that somehow this person got through to the archived cache. I tend to believe though that the most logical explanation for an event is THE reason for the event...in this case that the person is an approver.

I also got an email from a bay area cacher who said that he had had the experience that George had (see the CVC forum), so a little hard to tell if there is one reality or several.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

I can provide the unapproved, archived link if anyone wants to help conduct this experiment.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by virtually unstoppable:

FWIW, when I attempt to access unapproved, archived caches, I end up at the HideSeek page.

Thanks VU...with a profile that shows zero hides, zero finds and one forum post...you are definitely *unstoppable*....I suspect you have other attributes too!

Ron

Hey. Look. Another puppet. (VU) Isn't it funny how many cachers have their masks ready?

As far as approvals, it's interesting to see the process evolve into a line of hoops. I've decided to throw common logic asside and go by the book... so, the next time I'm ''on vacation'', I'm going to place a cache on some R.R. Tracks in my area and post ''no trespassing'' signs around it. Then I'll be able to afford the time to fight someone that's never been to the area. icon_biggrin.gif

Too bad the approvers can't trust us and they have no repore with the local top cachers. (eg. Being one of the top 15 cachers in the world doesn't mean we trust you!)

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Too bad the approvers can't trust us and they have no repore with the local top cachers. (eg. Being one of the top 15 cachers in the world doesn't mean we trust you!)

_Bill of Green Achers_

Well, Bill, I don't know about no rapport. I have good rapport with a couple of the approvers and having been one myself (in simpler days) I know what they are up against.

As far as being a *top* cacher goes, once again it's mostly a matter of time, gas money and the desire to find film containers. Otherwise, there is SOME feeling that a person with a few hundred finds MIGHT have a better idea of what's going on in cache placement than a person with 5 finds and 1 hide under his/her belt. But the *top* cachers make mistakes too.

I think in my case, it was a matter of a person I think is fairly new at this acting perhaps a little hastily. I believe this person simply could have put the cache on hold (instead of archiving it) with a note that he had looked at it and it didn't quite make the grade.

I have had approvers do that AND make suggestions about how it might succeed if small changes were made; that's helpful.

As for any bay area approver(s) not wanting to be made public, I can sympathize with that too. It's a thankless job....except when someone says *thanks*....and that isn't often enough.

So thanks to approvers one and all....(until NEXT time!)

Ron

After a bit of talking with the original approver (and one other approver) the archived cache in question in several posts above this has now been approved.

Just goes to show if you make a case in a calm manner these folks are just like the rest of us if things are reasonable.

Ron

quote:

Does anyone remember the old "Date Kablooey Cache"? Does Woof get to claim a find?

There have been a few finds logged on that cache page. I guess we'll have to wait and see. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Zooperman iz mine. If you want to zee him again you shall follow my inztructins exactly. U must come to zee picnic on 4May with your assistants.

Death to Zooperman

--------------------------------------------

I vill be placing piezes of me in 15 caches around ze bay area by Zaturday. Coordinate your team to go get zem and bring zem to picnic. You shall not trade information before picnic or Zooperman will go to: Travel Bug Graveyard. More inztructins will follow next veek.

Death to Superman