SF Bay Area geocachers

Well, I haven't reached 500 caches or anything like that, but I did get my first FTF yesterday.

I was the first one to get to Marky and Joani's Secret Trailhead #6. It ain't secret no more!

It's looking pretty soggy this morning, so no caching today. icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mhop:

Well, I haven't reached 500 caches or anything like that, but I did get my first FTF yesterday.

I was the first one to get to Marky and Joani's Secret Trailhead #6. It ain't secret no more!

Congrats on finding that one. It was well hidden, eh?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Caching in New England is a soggy venture for sure. I had to chip one ammo box out of the ice this weekend. Others you'd need snowshoes to get to, but I didn't bring mine. I intend to place some micros around out here so people can still go on the hunt without special equipment. But its warming up and the snow and ice are melting.

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

Caching in New England is a soggy venture for sure. I had to chip one ammo box out of the ice this weekend. Others you'd need snowshoes to get to, but I didn't bring mine. I intend to place some micros around out here so people can still go on the hunt without special equipment. But its warming up and the snow and ice are melting.

It's hard for us Californians to imagine caching in such extreme environments. This weekend, which was supposed to be another wet one turned out to be mostly sunny and the views we had of the bay from some of the Marin area caches yesterday were breathtaking.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

....no, not 18 wheel drivers, but cachers who don't mind a long hike for a handful of finds.

My two new caches near Patti's Point are approved now. If you're interested, start here at Gale Ridge and follow the drop-down box link at the bottom to the new Stargate cache and finally to Patti's Point.

This trail provides seven caches in a 9.5 mile hike (one way). It takes the better part of a day to do the entire length (and back), but if the weather is good, the scenery is fantastic in spots and right now the wildflowers are in bloom, particularly from the Kiln forward to Patti's Point. This is not a trail to hike in the dead of summer !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

If you are near the Los Gatos Creek Trail cache, and also the Oka Slalom cache maybe you can help out.

My cat Thomas went missing about a week ago. He's very affectionate and may have walked up to somebody on the creek trail who thought he was lost and took him home.

If anyone who has seen him, is in the area and sees him, or knows about his whereabouts please, please let me know.

We miss him very much!

You can find out more information about Thomas here:

http://www.craigslist.org/sfo/sby/pet/9709722.html

The Geocacher.. Living life one plastic tub full of yo-yos and penlights at a time.

Oops, sorry, I was upset with the gc.com website that day (it was eating my logs); so I was a little grumpy (I'm still upset with the website--it's still eating my logs, I'm just not so grumpy about it). I've added a postscript to my log. Sorry about not doing that sooner and saving Hotfoot the trouble of going out there. [icon_redface.gif]

We have filled out one of those pink slips at the humane society of santa clara. Looked through the animals twice. Thomas is in the missing cat book for march. If he was picked up by someone local they should be the place covering the area.

I tried calling animal control but they said they couldn't give specific information unless it was for the current day and to talk to the humane society.

There are fliers up around the creek trail and Oka Mozart area. There should be some at the local vets soon as well.

I'm crossing fingers. I don't think the odds of finding him are very high, but I'm going to try anyway. I was hoping that somebody who might have been caching in the area may have seen him. The Los Gatos creek trail cache seems to get a lot of hits and is in a very likely spot for him to have been around.

Are there any other things that work well for recovering pets?

The Geocacher.. Living life one plastic tub full of yo-yos and penlights at a time.

Hi everyone,

Are there any Fremont residents who might offer to fill out the registration form for our picnic at Fremont's Central Park? If so, contact me directly. The fee is much less for residents who want to reserve tables.

We wouldn't ask you to pay for this - the point is to have you sign up, but us pay - that way it is much cheaper to reserve the table.

FYI: Date of picnic: Sunday, May 4, 11:30 to 4:30

An event cache page will be coming soon!

Thanks!

-Fy

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on March 25, 2003 at 01:33 PM.]

Fry's has a sale on 27 exposure disposable cameras with flash, regularly $4.99, now $0.99! We bought 20. icon_wink.gif (I'm not sure if the sale continues beyond today but it's work checking.)

--Marky

Hi ya'll I thought this was worthy enough news to post.

After arriving here many times I thought about giving up this sport, but I held tight and things are finally working out for me.

Any way I am just a little happy with self about now and wanted to share my joy.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Ok so my post from yesterday got lost in the upgrading oh well here goes again!

News worth gloating about, Pepper finally hit #400 yesterday and it was a long time coming.

I worked hard for those last few while up here in WA.

Going caching with CachinCin today and looking forward to the hunt with a new pal.

News of the day to come later.

Have a Great Day.

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Pepper finally hit #400 yesterday and it was a long time coming.

A BIG congrats to you Pepper! Good job! I hope things start to thaw out and dry out up there so you can find lots more. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

Pepper -

Congratulations on 400! Looking at your find list, it appears that you really have had a good run in the past week or so - that’s great! Fy and I hope to hit 300 this week-end, but an all-day (sigh) non-Geocaching event on Saturday may cut into that possibility. icon_frown.gif

-J

icon_redface.gif While scouting locations for cache placement today, we ran into your friendly neighborhood vigilantes...

The Neighborhood Watch was in full-tilt as we sat in our vehicle make notes about possible cache placements... One guy came out of his garage demanding to know what we were doing, and then took down our vehicle license number!

Then he called his neighbor (apparently releated) down the block, who came out, watched us, then used his bicycle to follow us as we left! He blocked us as we tried to retreat from a dead-end street and demanded to know what were doing, and said he would not allow us to take photos of the neighborhood.

very scarey. Back to city parks for me!

George, your are amazing! The caching up is hard CA spoiled me big time the sats are so good down there I can't beleive a few hundred miles makes such a difference.

Ron, how sweet thanks for the flowers. Wow I can hardly beleive you made me smile for once. icon_wink.gif

Pepper

Congrats on the bug 400 Pepper!

I had posted this before, but it apparently got deleted when the forum swapped. Anyway, good job Pepper. I bet you can't wait for things to thaw out and dry up so that you can do some serious caching up there. (Does it ever dry up?)

--Marky

Marky, about it drying out up here i'm not sure yet cause it's alway WET!

Bay Area friends I started an Eastside Cachers thread up here last night and I'm not sure the folks around here are going to be receptive. Oh well I shall keep posting here where I know I fit in.

Come visit and tell me if I did correctly.

I just wanna make some new friends!

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Marky, about it drying out up here i'm not sure yet cause it's alway WET!

Bay Area friends I started an Eastside Cachers (Northwest) thread up here last night and I'm not sure the folks around here are going to be receptive. Oh well I shall keep posting here where I know I fit in.

Come visit and tell me if I did correctly.

I just wanna make some new friends!

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=39570

Saving it for tomorrow. I'm going to walk down to this cache with Mary in the morning.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59510

I guess it'd be pretty sad if we didn't find it.

george

Precongrats George and Mary!

Have fun tomorrow at the 1000 cache! We're 15 away but will probably be holding off for our 1000 until next Sunday. [icon_biggrin.gif]

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

The new forums suck, btw, in case I haven't mentioned it. It just took me over two minutes to load this page.

Yeah and what happen to profile function I used that alllll the time!

George thanks for the info.

Pepper

In honor of Marky & Joani's upcoming 1K accomplishment, we will be placing a cache on 4/6 just before the pizza event. Feel free to contact me or TeamJiffy to contribute some goodies in advance for the "Opus 1000" cache. Unfortunately for M&J, they now need to stop caching for the next week, so that we can all celebrate together!!

quote:
Originally posted by vdbalamo:

In honor of Marky & Joani's upcoming 1K accomplishment, we will be placing a cache on 4/6 just before the pizza event. Feel free to contact me or TeamJiffy to contribute some goodies in advance for the "Opus 1000" cache. Unfortunately for M&J, they now need to stop caching for the next week, so that we can all celebrate together!!

I attempted to slow Joani down by being the worst cacher around (we wasted 3 hours at UC Berkeley trying to find the Golden Bear cache with no luck and had other DNFs as well). We still ended up with 10 for the day, which doesn't sound as bad as it felt after a 3 hour long DNF. It's hard to keep Joani from caching, so I guess I'll have to just hold off from logging them for the rest of the week. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

(we wasted 3 hours at UC Berkeley trying to find the Golden Bear cache with no luck

--Marky

Been there, done that. icon_wink.gif

Maybe one day we'll go back and give it another shot.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Re: Golden Bear. I have spent the past hour looking up trivia about the Berkeley campus. All I could find that might help is that near the Campanile (spelling?) there is a bench with two bears on it, as a memorial to the soldiers slain in WWI. Since it is close to the Campanile, perhaps the hints point toward that. My first attempt, to find something that might talk about public land in the middle of the campus, turned up nothing.

Also, for those who sent me e-mail about this, I changed the wording in Krab Louie: A Dish Best Served Cold. The new wording may help (the old wording still worked, however.)

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Re: Golden Bear. I have spent the past hour looking up trivia about the Berkeley campus. All I could find that might help is that near the Campanile (spelling?) there is a bench with two bears on it, as a memorial to the soldiers slain in WWI. Since it is close to the Campanile, perhaps the hints point toward that. My first attempt, to find something that might talk about public land in the middle of the campus, turned up nothing.

Yeah, there is a lot of vague wording in that cache description (in the provided hints). Regarding that bench, it's definitely not there. That is very near the original coordinates.

"public land" is a very odd term since, technically, isn't the whole UC campus public land? I'm unclear what the hider is refering to.

The hint about the hand pointing must have something to do with the 'little hand' on the clock tower. What Joani and I figured was that this means it's inline with the face of the clock. But which clock face? The one you are looking at when you are standing on the original coords? If so, it would have to be either east or west of the original coords since that clock face is facing north (roughly).

The "on the box, not outside" encrypted hint made us think that it must be out near one of the roads mentioned. If it's not, it doesn't seem like a fair hint. So, given the above two hints, it's either near Gayley or near Oxford (if I am remembering right).

Also, how many things rhyme with mountain besides fountain?

Also, the fact that the cache name is also made into element symbols (Au Be Ar). The numbers for those elements are 79 4 18. This really didn't give us any other info. We had some thoughts that this was a clue that it was more towards the chemistry dept, but besides that didn't have any more thoughts on it.

This one has us baffled.

--Marky

Time to get those jackets back out!

After a weekend of amazing weather, you may have thought that spring was here to stay, but looking at this week's forecast (not to be taken too seriously, given their track record this year) it looks like we're in for some cold rain and possibly even some snow on the Bay Area peaks. There's a bunch of new caches near home, so we'll probably get to 999 this afternoon.

Hopefully it won't be too wet for Sunday's Pre-EventCache-MultiCache-Dash.

--Marky

There is no per-post subject anymore!

This is a real annoyance.

Anyway, I saw the weather reports, too... I guess Summer came and said a brief hello, and is going back south for a few more months.. well, that means that finding some trail caches next Sunday AM (our current plan) still is not going to be horribly hot.

Unfortunately, we are finishing March with 94 cache finds. I only thought about the 100 value this morning. There’s no way we can get six found today - too many other things happening. Sigh.

-Jif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Yeah, there is a lot of vague wording in that cache description (in the provided hints). Regarding that bench, it's definitely not there. That is very near the original coordinates.

"public land" is a very odd term since, technically, isn't the whole UC campus public land? I'm unclear what the hider is refering to.

It's been a while since I went for that but Mary and I ended up on a little section of campus behind the old student union with some benches and a picnic table. The table has a plaque with a reference to the "golden bears" and Student Union property is technically not owned by the campus. So we thought were were on to something... especailly since it was just south of the clock tower and you had to cross a bridge to get to the area and there was a mention of 'island' on the cache page.

It was a dead end.

quote:

The hint about the hand pointing must have something to do with the 'little hand' on the clock tower. What Joani and I figured was that this means it's inline with the face of the clock. But which clock face? The one you are looking at when you are standing on the original coords? If so, it would have to be either east or west of the original coords since that clock face is facing north (roughly).

The "on the box, not outside" encrypted hint made us think that it must be out near one of the roads mentioned. If it's not, it doesn't seem like a fair hint. So, given the above two hints, it's either near Gayley or near Oxford (if I am remembering right).

Also, how many things rhyme with mountain besides fountain?

Were you able to figure out which time the fountain was dedicated? After we left we thought that maybe the time of the fountain dedication would provide a clue as to which way we had to go.

quote:

Also, the fact that the cache name is also made into element symbols (Au Be Ar). The numbers for those elements are 79 4 18. This really didn't give us any other info. We had some thoughts that this was a clue that it was more towards the chemistry dept, but besides that didn't have any more thoughts on it.

This one has us baffled.

--Marky

And I haven't figured out the elemental references. We don't know the campus that well so we were at a loss as to where this all lead to.

george

39570_500.jpg

I actually was a little more obsessed about this cache than George was. I did a lot of research about the Berkeley campus. I found out that there is an area on the campus that is concidered to be public property.

I'd be willing to go out and try for this cache again this weekend. I've always wanted to go back, but we just haven't gotten around to it.

Mary

39570_500.jpg