SF Bay Area geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Lover's Landing

Today, Ron! Cool. But I wanted to hear the story in the log. How did you do it?

Marky, I'll do that one with you whenever you want. If I haven't done it by this summer, I may very well be the FTFWOAB (First to Find Without A Boat)!

Sounds like a fun one to do.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I haven't done one of these before, but I think Team Jiffy was interested. The sample clues for this one look to be easier than the SF Treasure Hunt, though. I have a friend who's interested. Based on the prizes, it looks like the optimal team size should be no more than 6.

Let me know if you're interested in getting together to form a team (or two).

http://www.marintreasurehunt.com/overview.html

The South Bay Pizza event has been approved. I've reserved a room that looked like it would comfortably sit 30 people. This is one of our favorite pizza restaurants. The one closer to our house doesn't have a room to reserve, so I picked this one. Hopefully its location will encourage some of the peninsula folks to come down. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Today (well, tomorrow, actually) was the anniversary of my start in geocaching. So I wanted to do something special. I stopped at 599 caches so that 600 could be today.

I had planned to go do one in the South Bay, but I woke up to find a brand-new cache by Jimswim, who is the person who got me into geocaching in the first place! What better way to celebrate than a FTF on his cache?

So I did my 1-year anniversary, my 600th cache, and (it turns out) my 60th FTF all on the same cache. It was very cool.

Looks like you had a fun day. I hear that you were going to make Big Liar your 600th, but that turned out to be a lie. Maybe you took Kablooey's Big Liar log entry a bit too seriously. icon_wink.gif Joani and I were cracking up when we read Kablooey's log entry.

--Marky

I'm happy for you, but I'm deeply offended that you didn't make Big Liar your 600th. Oh wait, that's a lie! But which part? By the way, I had some very nice caching in Santa Barbara and SLO. What ever happened to the book traveler you were asking me to take? Too late now. Almost all the caches there were huge tuppers, too. If you go that way, I can recommend a few.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

What ever happened to the book traveler you were asking me to take? Too late now. Almost all the caches there were huge tuppers, too. If you go that way, I can recommend a few.

Actually, it turns out that I am going down to Santa Barbara this Thursday, so I decided to take it myself! Sorry I didn't let you know.

I'd love to hear any recommendations you have for caches down there.

quote:

Lost Positas and Table View in Santa Barbara were both in scenic areas with nice big Tuppers to trade in, especially Lost Positas. Stop to do Shell Beach in Pismo if you're able. It's only a virtual, but the coast is spectacularly beautiful there. The three I did in downtown SLO were quick and easy, and SLO-Troll was in a quaint little area I didn't know existed. Go to my profile page and click on the ones I've found for 3/10 and 11 to see what I did. The Binary Blues ones aren't much, but they do what they're advertised to do, which is to break up a long drive with a bit of caching.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

What ever happened to the book traveler you were asking me to take? Too late now. Almost all the caches there were huge tuppers, too. If you go that way, I can recommend a few.

Actually, it turns out that I am going down to Santa Barbara this Thursday, so I decided to take it myself! Sorry I didn't let you know.

I was introduced to geocaching by a friend that took me to The Wind Cave This is a wonderful cache with an awesome view of the coast not to mention the fun caves. I highly reccomend it. It's near Gaviota State Beach.

-Unfurl

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

We noticed, while placing our logs this evening, that Marky and Joani were near 900, and now seemed to have passed it.

Congratulations, Joani and Marky! That’s a great pace that you are keeping up!

Thanks! Just 100 more and I 'earn' my color sportrak! icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

This may be a major spoiler but I am not doing well solving the The Big Picture. Most of the programs for this sort of thing cost around $20, which is OK, but they seem to do different things. One uses a 256 palette and another luminace and there are still others. Any recommendatiions? You can always E-mail the answer to me if you want to keep it under wraps.

Just wanted to jump in here and say hello to the regulars here. I'm new to geocaching but definitely hooked on it. I got started on TeamJiffy's Solar System series(great fun) and have done some other caches as well. My last cache was "Fear Factor" out by Gustine.

I'm getting better at it and plan to continue, but I need to spend some time looking at images of Poison Oak so I can avoid it next time. I'm itching and scratching like crazy right now, but I'll know better next time.

Mhop

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Thanks! Just 100 more and I 'earn' my color sportrak! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, see, you're moving in the wrong direction. When you hit 1000, you should be able to find caches just by looking at the aerial map. When you hit 2000, you should be able to find caches just by using The Force. When you get to 3000, you'll be able to look at a set of coordinates and say "I know right where that one is. I was going to hide one there next week."

quote:
Originally posted by mhop:

Just wanted to jump in here and say hello to the regulars here. I'm new to geocaching but definitely hooked on it. I got started on TeamJiffy's Solar System series(great fun) and have done some other caches as well. My last cache was "Fear Factor" out by Gustine.

I'm getting better at it and plan to continue, but I need to spend some time looking at images of Poison Oak so I can avoid it next time. I'm itching and scratching like crazy right now, but I'll know better next time.

Mhop

Welcome to the world of geoforum posters. Keep posting! Glad you enjoyed the planet tour. We attempted the awesome Fear Factor but didn't quite finish. So, congrats to you.

I can comment on the poison oak, as I'm just getting over a serious case of it right now.

Here are some good photos of it.

Poison oak photos

More photos

I highly recommend a product called Zanfel®, or the less expensive Tecnu®, to be used at the first suspicion that you have come in contact with it. Either product can help prevent an outbreak if you apply it in time. (I don't have any ties to either manufacturer so I don't stand to benefit by these recommendations, by the way.)

Good luck with the poison oak.

-Fy

Must be Springtime.

The 2 oz. bottle of Tecnu is carried in the vehicle, and Ivy Cleanse Towelettes (www.enviroderm.com) picked up at REI, they go I the belt pack. I drop those Ivy Towelettes in caches like at Pleasanton Ridge--home of the world's largest poison oak trees.

Note, Tec also makes CalaGel clear gel for 'temporary relief of pain and itching.'

I just posted my first two puzzle caches. My turn to get even (a little). If someone is FTF on both, they get treated to lunch (reasonable - I am still unemployed). I will be out caching on Wednesday, but will be reachable by phone (enough of you already have my number).

I seem to be one of the lucky people immune to the dreaded poison oak. I slipped while hiking and grabbed onto a large clump of it to catch my fall...nothing. This weekend while caching I stuck my hand into it...nothing. So far, I have been lucky. This doesn't mean that I'm not careful, though. icon_wink.gif

Krystal

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Originally posted by kbrece:

I seem to be one of the lucky people immune to the dreaded poison oak.QUOTE]

kbrece, if you could bottle some of your DNA and send it to me, I'll be very grateful. Maybe I can absorb some of your immunity.

leaves of three, let it be, leaves of three, let it be...

Mhop

quote:
Originally posted by kbrece:

I seem to be one of the lucky people immune to the dreaded poison oak. I slipped while hiking and grabbed onto a large clump of it to catch my fall...nothing. This weekend while caching I stuck my hand into it...nothing. So far, I have been lucky. This doesn't mean that I'm not careful, though. icon_wink.gif

Krystal

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

Be very careful. My fiance was 'immune' like you until just this last year when she's started to pick it up a bit. She used to be able to walk right thru large patches of it with shorts on but no longer icon_smile.gif

-Unfurl

I (Fy) probably should be addressing the general forums but I'm too shy to go out there. icon_razz.gif

Do your stats match up with those kept at www.insidecorner.com ? Ours are off by at least ten, even after trying to manually log the "missing" caches. Some caches are even logged more than once. I noticed the ones that have trouble are those where we first had a DNF, then a found, or where a cache was archived. What have you noticed about that (otherwise great) database?

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on March 19, 2003 at 05:49 PM.]

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/features/story/0,24330,3340372,00.html

This predates most, NOT ALL, of us. It's a TV piece that TechTV did with Buxley. He shows his site and where there was a grand total of 5000 caches in the world.

Near the end the list the coordinates of where techTV hid something. I haven't looked up where it is yet but I'm curious to know if any of the old timers (Buxley, Kabooey, Ron) have ever looked for the TechTV cache?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

Do your stats match up with those kept at InsideCorner? Ours are off by at least ten, even after trying to manually log the "missing" caches. Some caches are even logged more than once.

No, and they never will. There are several quirks to those stats:

• They don't include member-only caches.

• They only include finds from specific areas; none of my non-California caches appear in the California list.

• The total number of caches is kept by some unexplained algorithm that gets off and stays off. It appears to be impossible to correct. Mine is currently high by about 4 or 5.

In other words, don't expect the data there to be accurate. It can still be fun to look at, though!

quote:

quote:

Do your stats match up with those kept at InsideCorner? Ours are off by at least ten, even after trying to manually log the "missing" caches. Some caches are even logged more than once.

No, and they never will. There are several quirks to those stats:+ They don't include member-only caches.

Yes it does, I was checking my finds and Meet Lary is listed and it's MO.

quote:

+ They only include finds from specific areas; none of my non-California caches appear in the California list.

+ The total number of caches is kept by some unexplained algorithm that gets off and stays off. It appears to be impossible to correct. Mine is currently high by about 4 or 5.

In other words, don't expect the data there to be accurate. It can still be fun to look at, though!

Mine's about 6 short on finds and 10 or so short on hides. I know it gets the numbers from looking at recent logs but that's about all I know.

george

39570_500.jpg

For those interested in some of the puzzle caches we have seen lately and with a little time for recreational reading there is a book out by Dan Brown called 'the Da Vinci Code'. I was thinking about 'the Big Picture' by Fizzymagic as I went by a book rack in the local library and this book practically leaped out at me. Lots of history, action and enigmas stacked on mysteries covered with secrets.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

No, it really doesn't do MO caches. Meet Larry was not MO when you did it; Ron changed it later. That's why it got into the DB. Look for MO caches that have always been MO, and you won't see them.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

No, it really doesn't do MO caches. Meet Larry was not MO when you did it; Ron changed it later. That's why it got into the DB. Look for MO caches that have always been MO, and you won't see them.

You're right, I just double checked and Meet Larry is NOT on the log list at Dan's site.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

You may find my log of one of the caches http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59336.

Your story is quite amusing, you deserve lunch just for the story. The cache is really straight forward, you seemed to have made it much more difficult than it should have been.

Sorry about the 30 foot offset, but it was the best I could do and keep the puzzle simple. I had an issue with nosey homeowners when I tried to attach the cache onto a tree near their back yard, so I had to find a new location and spend an extra night redoing the puzzle.

I guess I haven't checked into the forum for a while.

Poison Oak and Immunity: Marty Fouts says that resistance to poison oak degrades the more you come in contact with it. Given the bad cases I suffered last year, I don't think I have any resistance at all.

Call for Help: I'm not sure whether TechTV still has that clip of the show with Buxley on their site. I remember watching it and then being FTF on CFH#1 cache. Buxley was actually with them when they hid the cache, but it ended up being kind of a last-minute cache they threw together. I called the TechTV guy, and he said he would send me some swag and maybe do a followup on TV, but he never got back to me. I never did search for CFH#2 (I didn't realize it was so close to Puppy Play Group).

Out of Work: A friend at Amazon just sent me a big list of jobs (if you dare to move up there to follow Team Super Genius). He keeps trying to recruit me. He also gets credit for referrals, I guess; so let me know if you want to send a resume, and I'll tell you where to send it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/static/-/jobs/department/Seattle-Headquarters/015/104-8466575-0151103#02-007356

InsideCorner Stats Website: It used to look at the most recent logs every so often. Sometimes cachers submit so many logs that geocaching.com never displays the log in that list (or only displays it for a really short time). If you change your logtype, delete a log, log a MOC (the stats bot can't read MOC pages), or otherwise log when one or both of the websites is down for some reason, you'll get out of sync.

Been really busy up here (not caching) being a domestict godess icon_wink.gif catching up on all the stuff I negelected to do while in CA. The rain up here makes for extra time to catch up on the refinishing of some antiques I have hanging around. I do cache, but never seem to find anything icon_mad.gif. It snowed the first night we lived in our new house it was pretty cool.

fizzymagic congrates on hitting 600 I would of loved to have done it with ya.

Missing all of my pals back in CA somethinhg awful.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Pepper -

Do you notice any different 'trends' in caches or hides in Washington vs. the Bay Area? For example, in the Bay Area we have lots of 35mm film canisters in cyclone fence-posts, and magnetic keyholders on the 'other' side of guardrails/bridges, use of those 'candy melt-in-your-mouth strip' containers, etc...

In Washington state, are there any kinds of caches or hides that you see repeatedly, that you really didn't see in the Bay Area?

-Jif

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on March 22, 2003 at 01:06 AM.]

quote:

Do you notice any different 'trands' in caches or hides in Washington vs. the Bay Area? For example, in the Bay Area we have lots of 35mm film canisters in cyclone fence-posts, and magnetic keyholders on the 'other' side of guardrails/bridges, use of those 'candy melt-in-your-mouth strip' containers, etc...

-Jif

Pepper, go ahead an answer for Seattle, but I thought this was an interesting question, so I'll contribute, too. When I went down to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara I noticed that every cache was a full-sized Tupper or close to it, even the ones in the urban settings. The one micro was still big enough to trade small items in. Also, a fellow cacher who is in the American Cryptogram Association (in Oregon, I believe) says that up there a cache is not considered legitimate unless it can be seen from some angle without moving anything. In other words, no totally covered caches, although camo is acceptable.

I have yet to find a micro cache that was hidden in a film canaster, they are much, much smaller and for the most part covered in some type of moss. There are alot of little bitty aluminum bullet type containers about 1" long and 1/2" in dia icon_redface.gif. very hard to find and have not found many hense all the DNF's. In the Redmond area there are ALOT micro's unlike the Bay Area with 59 EBRP's there in only one sizable park I have found and it's basically flat and heavely treed, so there are alot of Urban caches. I do beleive I will have to take a drive to find a nice place for a long hike, which I will do when the rainy season is over. Wallas Falls State Park comes to mind it's just outside of GoldBar. Now when it come's to regular sized cache ie. tupperware/ammo cans they are pretty much standard hides like in the Bay Area, but not out in the open! I have also found out that multi caches are BIG up here and not one of favorit types of caches, but will have to get to eventually. Anyway I am looking forward to placing some CA type caches up here it will something fresh for these folks to look for, of course when it stops raining. icon_mad.gif

Marky, I guess some of your babies need to migrate up here!

Saturday moring and guess what it's RAINING! icon_mad.gif

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!