SF Bay Area geocachers

For a long time I never bothered to log DNFs as it seemed pointless but I was persuaded otherwise and now it is begining to pay off.

This has not been a good week for me. I bought gas at $2 per gallon to drive many miles and spend futile hours searching for a film can. I logged 4 DNFs and one find. Well, I was ready to give my GPS to Kabloey when a cache owner E-mailed me and told me where I had gone wrong in not finding his cache. I really appreciate this as I learned something which I may be able to use in the future. Yet another good reason to log DNFs.

Pepper is a happy cacher. We had CA spring weather up here today and it was awesome. Even better than that I found 8 out the 9 caches I hunted today. WOW what a day and tomorrow should be the same maybe with even better luck in the cache find department.

Hotfoot hi, and I feel your DNF pain icon_frown.gif

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Pepper is a happy cacher. We had CA spring weather up here today and it was awesome. Even better than that I found 8 out the 9 caches I hunted today. WOW what a day and tomorrow should be the same maybe with even better luck in the cache find department.

Pepper, you're #307 in Washington and moving up. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Check out http://www.t-hunts.com/index.html.

In checking out the user web pages of owners of caches we visited yesterday, we stumbled upon it. It is next weekend. (March 8)

From the website: "2/23/03 please note the game has reached its limit of 30 teams and we are not accepting new teams. If you are on a team that has pre-registered and paid for at least two team members, and you wish to pay for yourself and/or other members of that team, please use this form. Otherwise, please accept our regrets!"

I suggested getting a team together for the Chinese New Year hunt. I think there's a hunt in Marin in May or June. Maybe we can do that one.

This will sound like one of Fizzy's stories, but when I got off the elevator with the GPS in my hand yesterday, security jumped out of his truck to nab me. I then scooted down the stairs and out. There were enough concerns raised by the previous finders. Let's try to place caches in less "dangerous" places. I hate these city caches, what happened to a good long hike in the hills?

quote:
Originally posted by vdbalamo:

I hate these city caches, what happened to a good long hike in the hills?

Well, if you're willing to make a drive to the trailhead, you might like this one:

Patti's Point

You can find five of my caches at the half-mile, 1.5 mile, 3 mile, 5 mile and 9.5 mile points along this trail. None of them have been sought yet. Total round trip...19 miles. Horses and Hikers only.

Check the details in drop-boxes and links at the bottom of the Patti's Point page.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Someone hit 800

How many did you end up doing in one month?

george

We had 180 finds in February and 14 DNFs. I think this was our most active month yet. We need to average 100 a month to meet Joani's goal of 1200 in our first 12 months (which is on the 5th of July). It would also be nice to have 120 hides by then. I think a 10/1 find/hide ratio is pretty good and we are lagging a little. But as anyone knows who as seen the back of our car, we do have plenty of caches ready to place! icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Greetings from SoCal!!! We have a plea for help:

Does anyone up there know this cacher?

*Profile for DCgeotracker

*Member since December, 2002

*Caches Found/Hidden: 20/1

*Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 4/0 Benchmarks Found: 0

They apparently took our Pennsylvania Police TB --

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=21239 --

from Oka Slalom on Feb. 16th, posted the cache find on the 17th., not mentioning the TB, nor logging it on the TB page.

We've tried to communicate with them via polite email, with no reply.

Can anyone help in getting their attention?

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Well, we did it! Jif, Marky, and I solved it and went and got it together. Jif had the insight we needed while he was driving today, and I did most of the rest. icon_biggrin.gif

I just have one question: how long was it with his sister-in-law? Take that any way you want to. icon_eek.gif

Interesting story about caching with Ron in the news. I'm glad it was posted on this forum as I was unsure where things were heading. [Keep your mind on hunting caches Fizzy!]

Puzzle caches... How many Puzzles are there around Livergultch? And how many days (or weeks, or months) would it take a cacher so solve them all?

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

46085_1700e%2013

quote:

...you really don't know what part of kablooey's Big Liar log is true or not - sort of reminds me of Andy Kaufman.

Of course, with so many purple frownie faces in kablooey's log list, does one more really matter? icon_biggrin.gif

And I was thinking you didn't really find it ...

V.

State the obvious, but not obviously.

We all think it's time for a party!!

Vdbalamo, Marky & Joani and us of TeamJiffy are planning an outdoor (potluck) get-together for all of the Bay Area geocachers out there--yes, even you lurkers who live and geocache in the Bay Area. icon_wink.gif

Tentative date/time and place: Sunday, April 6, from 11:00 to 5:00 or so at Fremont Central Park. How's the date look for you all?

-TeamJiffy

We'd love to come but we'll be in India for 3 weeks starting end of March. Have fun, all! Hope we can make it to the next one. Hope that will be very soon. icon_smile.gif

V.

quote:

Vdbalamo, Marky & Joani and us of TeamJiffy are planning an outdoor (potluck) get-together for all of the Bay Area geocachers out there--yes, even you lurkers who live and geocache in the Bay Area. icon_wink.gif

Tentative date/time and place: Sunday, April 6, from 11:00 to 5:00 or so at Fremont Central Park. How's the date look for you all?

-TeamJiffy

State the obvious, but not obviously.

quote:

-TeamJiffy

We will be skiing that weekend.

Don icon_frown.gif

We seem to be suffering from a recent infestation of moving caches in the Bay Area. As you can probably tell, I don't like them much, but they're there, so I will hunt them.

The problem is that a searcher can very easily waste a lot of time looking for a cache that somebody else grabbed but neglected to log.

I propose that we come up with a signal that a finder should leave before moving the cache. How about little geocaching.com stickers that can be placed where the cache was?

Any other proposals? I'm about ready to start automatically ignoring moving caches in my queries, because they are so frustrating. I don't much enjoy spending my valuable time looking for something that's not there.

quote:

Any other proposals? I'm about ready to start automatically ignoring moving caches in my queries, because they are so frustrating. I don't much enjoy spending my valuable time looking for something that's not there.

I feel pretty much the same as Fizzy about moving caches. One suggestion I have is to include some type of markers (lengths of string, or surveyors tape, etc) in the cache so that the finders have something to mark the location with. This would be especially handy for the stop&go variety, as you probably wouldn't even have to get out of the car. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

I fear you’ll get folks ignoring the use of the “I was here” mark 1/2 the time, which means it will be worse than useless - as seeing the mark sometimes will make you work really hard to try to find it or the cache - if neither are there it’ll be really frustrating.

I think every moving cache can be replaced with a cache where your require of someone who finds the cache to place a new cache. Not even the same result, but a better one, because setting things up this way means that everyone has more caches to find.

-J

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on March 09, 2003 at 03:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:
Originally posted by forman:

We will be skiing that weekend.

Don icon_frown.gif

Going skiing should never be a sad face! icon_wink.gif

--Marky

Marky,

The icon_frown.gif was that I would miss the picnic, I should have put a icon_smile.gif face cause, while the family is skiing, I will be caching. Only the stats count for Nevada.

Don

I was thinking of placing a multicache in Livermore called frustration.

I finally figured out Fizzy's crossword puzzle and I must admit I am greatly impressed with the puzzle master. I loaded up the kids and drove over to Livermore, but I really couldn't find a true access to the area. I'll try again with George.

I had also figured out wind view, so I tried for it. Again, we struck out. There were a lot of people in the area today and I decided to give up before I was asked what I was doing.

We will try again, but it was a frustrating afternoon in Livermore. I did find SK8, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

I propose that we come up with a signal that a finder should leave before moving the cache. How about little geocaching.com stickers that can be placed where the cache was?

The Admin made me include a note that said to leave a "tee pee" of sticks when my cache moved. I've used it. It hasn't been a problem.

george

39570_500.jpg

I hope this trend stops, and soon. Then again, some people might really enjoy them. I'm just hoping that people see that light and stop placing so many of them. If it becomes any more common, there will have to be a cache type added for them... icon_mad.gif

--Marky

"Moving Locationless Fencepost Ivy Micro"

Instructions:

1) Find a flying blimp.

2) Take a photo of it, holding your GPSr in the sky.

3) Now, take your picture of the blimp, and go find the "Moving Semi" cache - somewhere in California, is a semi-truck. Find the semi at the last recorded location. It may have moved since you last printed the page.

4) Once you've found the semi, open the trailer, and look inside. You'll see 15 pallets of metal cyclone fence-posts. Each end of these fenceposts has a sprig of Ivy covering the hole.

5) Tucked into the end of one of these fenceposts, beneath the sprig of ivy, is a 35mm film canister, with a log sheet and nothing else. Find the canister.

6) Log your find including an off-site (non-Geocaching.com) URL pointing to the picture of the blimp.

Sorry! icon_smile.gif

-J

......burned me.

I missed one (Stop,Go 3) in Lodi the other day. These things are a problem due to their very nature.

The one I missed didn't get posted as found (and rehidden) for about 36 hours, and of course I went looking for it much earlier than that.

It has now moved twice again and SEEMS to be sitting a mile or so from me, but I am not keen on looking for it thinking it might be gone again and I would be *wasting* my time looking for something that doesn't exist. Of course it might be there and I wouldn't be able to find it, but at least at that moment I wouldn't know.

A dilemma.

I'll just take my own advice (often offered) and if I don't think something is for me, I just won't look for it.

There are a number of cache types I don't look for, and my caches which involve long hikes are ignored by most cachers, so the theory that we look for what we like seems to hold.

Ron

...I like your cache idea. Here's another.

Find the boxcar (moving) with the number SF 2457 on the side. It is in Northern California.

Inside are 500 shopping center light poles, 500 newspaper vending machines, 500 soft-drink machine enclosures, 500 park benches, 500 sprinkler heads, and one oak tree with 3 hollow trunk stubs.

Find the non-magnetic, 1 quart tupperware container.

Shucks, I think I gave it away!

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

and my caches which involve long hikes are ignored by most cachers.

Joani and I have enjoyed many of your 'long hike' caches. Feel free to place more of them in our area. icon_smile.gif (Of course, we still have a few of yours on our nearst 500 list, so we'll be getting to those soon, especially with such nice weather.)

--Marky

...die man.....

I keep forgetting that even someone who has found say 250 might not have happened on one of the micro types hiding in that box car.

But, once you've found one, you'll start finding others, I can guarantee you.

I've placed one in a lamp pole, but have managed to avoid the others so far...knock on wood.

Marky...

When I started looking for tupperware, they ALL were at the ends of trails in Las Trampas, Briones, Sunol, Alum Rock, etc. Now I think those are more rare than the micros-and-metal type.

I have discovered some new hilly areas in my own area and have been hunting and placing there, but eventually I'll get over to the *bay area* more.

Ron

quote:

There are a number of cache types I don't look for, and my caches which involve long hikes are ignored by most cachers, so the theory that we look for what we like seems to hold.

I usually just lurk here, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I admit I have found a lot of urban micros, but if I had a choice, I would much prefer a "long hike cache". Mostly, it's a matter of time - I can fit an urban micro in at lunch or on an errand. A cache with a hike - that I enjoy much more - requires a larger time commitment that I can't always make.

Summary - I look for what I can and try to make time to look for what I like.

I placed a cache in Pacheco Pass state Park a few weeks ago. I was very tempted to place it at the far end of the park, 6 miles in, but then passed on the idea and only placed it 1 mile in. It's been attempted 3 times.

I have an advantage over most walkers since I can cover a lot more ground in a shorter amount of time. But I'm most likely going to go back and plant a series of caches further and further in to encourage others to travel in to the park.

Maybe if I plant another in the park someone else will plant one even deeper for me to find.

george

39570_500.jpg

Ron

quote:

......burned me.

I missed one (Stop,Go 3) in Lodi the other day. These things are a problem due to their very nature.

The one I missed didn't get posted as found (and rehidden) for about 36 hours, and of course I went looking for it much earlier than that.

(Stop,Go 3) was found at 2am and was put back out by 6pm that same day. (I was not the one that found it, however I was there.) You went for it that same day. I think your 36 hour time is a bit off. It is more like 16 hours. Moving caches are not caches I care to do myself but it was in the area after team Rock-it rehid the cache.

We're in.

It's close by also.

quote:

-TeamJiffy

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

The April date didn't work for enough people so we are now looking for a date that works in early May. However, I am planning to have a Pizza event on the 6th (of April), probably somewhere in the general south bay area that hopefully will be convenient for all interested in attending. It will be at 6:00PM so it won't eat in to your daylight hours that much. I am open to suggestions if you know of a Pizza joint that has a reasonable sized room that we can reserve. The one we just attended in Sacramento was really nice. We had a large room all to ourselves which worked out really nicely.

--Marky

There's a CNN article on geo-slavery!!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/03/11/geo.slavery.ap/index.html

We all know it's an obsession that captivates us. Some of us have accumulation rates and find totals that are compulsive: georgeandmary, marky/joani, fizzymagic, vdbalamo, kablooey.

I've just marked my 1 yr, totaling 438 cache finds and 224 bug finds, respectively #95 and #1 nationally. With all of those Stop/Go magnetics, maybe my 2nd yr goal is 1000 finds.

Looking forward to the picnic! Sooner is better, though springbreak means caching roadtrip. BT

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

I've just marked my 1 yr, totaling 438 cache finds and 224 bug finds, respectively #95 and #1 nationally. With all of those Stop/Go magnetics, maybe my 2nd yr goal is 1000 finds.

Looking forward to the picnic! Sooner is better, though springbreak means caching roadtrip. BT

Congratulations on your very successful first year, BT. We're definitely working on the picnic. We'll have more info in the next few days. Pizza anyone, first (April 6, 6:00pm) ?

-Fy

quote:
Originally posted by mmp:

quote:

I usually just lurk here, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I admit I have found a lot of urban micros, but if I had a choice, I would much prefer a "long hike cache".

I am a lurker, too, and I would like to see more caches with long hikes in the Bay Area. We found this cache this weekend and the hike was awesome.

We are planning on placing some caches that will require moderate hikes, but would love to find more, too.

Krystal

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

Some of us have accumulation rates and find totals that are compulsive: georgeandmary, marky/joani, fizzymagic, vdbalamo, kablooey.

Oh, I clearly don't belong in the same class as those (or even with you). I've just been hunting longer. My average is still under 1 per day in my caching career. Some of the others are far above 2/day.