SF Bay Area geocachers

I have the coordinates for Pick a Card and it looks like a good time to see if the aerial photo shows anything as most of my maps show it as Terra Incognito.

Glad you liked Updraft. I hope someone gives the Golden Number a try so I can see if all the bugs are out of it. I am more concerned with folks finding the posted coords than termites.

I am having an issue where if I merge GPX files in watcher, ExpertGPS (nor EasyGPS) reads them, but does not display any information, thus I can't download them to the GPS.

What would be a very useful feature of Watcher is if it could download waypoints to a GPS directly. I know - a large amount of work, but it would still be nice.

BTW, I wanted to thank ClayJar for all the work that's been done on Watcher, it's turning out to be a really good piece of software.

/cw

Sorry George, doesn't work for me. I have tried several variations of how and what I merge and whenever I attempt to load a GPX file that watcher has saved, EasyGPS nor ExpertGPS display's the data.

I just tried it with EasyGPS 1.2.2 and am using Watcher 0.1.30. I have had this problem all along since .13 of Watcher.

There's not much to the procedure, so I don't know what I could be doing wrong. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks...

/cw

quote:
Originally posted by Quetzalteco:

Sorry George, doesn't work for me. I have tried several variations of how and what I merge and whenever I attempt to load a GPX file that watcher has saved, EasyGPS nor ExpertGPS display's the data.

Ah... must read more slowly... You're saveing merged files from Watcher THEN trying to load them into EasyGPS.

Can't help you there.

You're just going to have to load the files indiviually before merging them.... or have you tried that?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Yes, loading them before Watcher touches them works fine. The idea is to use Watcher to filter the merged files as it's a lot easier and quicker to load the GPX files with GPXView (a PPC tool) if there are only 20-30 caches for a given instead of 600-700 caches in there. The size is quite smaller too.

/cw

You're a funny man Ron! [:-)] No TIME to go caching - gotta get the kids to school, finish a newsletter, pick the kids up, take 'em ice skating, and then hit the highway for the mountains. UNLESS you leave it in that new "used car" cache here in Dublin - I've a feeling I can fit that one in!

O M G! what a beautiful pic, and what cache did you take that pic from?

"News flash" Team SuperGenius is one step closer to owning a big ole house. Made an offer today and I am oh so excited!

Now maybe soon I will be able to start caching for a while that is until it's time to start the moving thing all over again.

Missing all my buddies so much ya'll just don't know how much.

Bitter/Sweet

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I really like your new Avatar.

Southerncanucks has hid something in Round Valley that I am going to check out today. I'm a little nervous as Fizzy's log says its quite a climb and he is in better shape than me by a lot. I hope all the nasty critters like rattlers and ticks are still asleep.

Lamneth found the Golden Number so I am confident that all the bugs have been eliminated. I wanted to get this one going while the daffodils are blooming as they are one of best things about this site.

I forgot to mention this semi-oddity I noticed when looking at The Big Picture. If you take the capitalized letters in the text, you get:

CH CB FCJ HC AOBB TO GDC.

Ignoring the three extraneous letters OTO, you get:

CH CB FCJ HC ABB GDC

38 32 630 83 122 743

38 is the latitude of the sign.

122 is the longitude.

It would have been eerie if the sign had encoded its own coordinates somehow.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

Since there have been only sannin (three people) who have found Operation Futari (two people), I have decided to remove it from members only status. Maybe kablooey found it but won't log it until he's allowed on the page. Now's your chance! I logged onto Ransom Note today - your turn. icon_biggrin.gif

Are there any plans to apply search filters similar to Pocket Querries to a profile? eg: I would like to hit the Search button and "hide" any caches that I have already found. It would make my searching much faster if I want to see the closest caches I have not found. I could see them all on one or two pages rather than 10-15.

Right now, if someone places a cache 10 miles from my house, I would have to go through 4 pages to get there. Were if I could filter out caches that I have found, it along with caches up to 20 miles would show on the first page or two.

Not only would it make it easier for the users but it would cut down on server hits as people would be able to quickly get to all the information they want in one or two pages rather than 10-15 pages.

I am sure other search criteria could be implemented there as well with little more effort.

Opinions?

/cw

aka : Chris Williams

Caching in the North Bay and beyond...

sonomarin.net

Fizzy's working hard and so is Marky.

What did you think of the Sacramento area Marky? Was that your first time up there?

Mary and I just got back from a couple of days in the bay area. We spent the night in Pacifica at a really nice Best Western right on the beach. We hit a couple caches coming and going but over all we just spent most of the time hanging out on the beaches along the way.

If anyone is interested we got a suite with an ocean view for about half the normal price. The hotel is right on the beach and about a nice mile walk from the Harold and Maude cache.

The weather was beautiful.

george

39570_500.jpg

Congrats Fizzy! You are indeed an inspiration. I have a LOOOONG way to go, but it’s the journey right? The Quest for something that we...oh never mind, no need to get Arthurian about this

Fizzy, watch out for those Canadian Posters, they can get nasty. Maybe I was the last to figure that out.

Good Job!

MontytheMule

I am a severely patient sort of guy..

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Fizzy's working hard and so is Marky.

What did you think of the Sacramento area Marky? Was that your first time up there?

It was our third trip to the Sacramento area. We had a great time and visited a wide variety of caches. This was the first time either of us have been along the American River. The area is so interesting and different from anything around our area.

quote:

Mary and I just got back from a couple of days in the bay area. We spent the night in Pacifica at a really nice Best Western right on the beach. We hit a couple caches coming and going but over all we just spent most of the time hanging out on the beaches along the way.

If anyone is interested we got a suite with an ocean view for about half the normal price. The hotel is right on the beach and about a nice mile walk from the Harold and Maude cache.

The weather was beautiful.

'Jif' of TeamJiffy and I were talking about how there should be some sort of geocaching database of nice places to stay that have high speed internet access that are 'reasonably' priced. While in Sacramento we stayed at the Comfort Inn & Suites at 21 Howe ave, right near Sac State. The price for a room with a queen bed is $89 and includes a continental breakfast. We didn't make reservations so were stuck with a room with two queen beds which was $99. It was very comfortable, and the high speed internet worked great. We really would have had a backlog if we hadn't entered all the caches that evening. And we barely made a dent on the caches in the area... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

...our hotel in Madera that offered free Internet access was the Holiday Inn Express. The rate was $79.60, for a King Bed, and high speed Internet access.

The Internet access port was by the desk - not by the bed.... but fortunately, I travel with a 50' CAT-5 RJ-45 Ethernet cable, so we could use the laptop wherever we wanted.

So now you have Madera and Sacramento in the central valley, that'll get you two nights of reasonable rates, good caches, and high speed Internet access at no extra cost.

-J

Thanks for all the congrats. I never dreamed I would ever find 500 caches! I remember being very impressed with myself when I hit 10!

This weekend we were caching in San Jose and blundered into the Hayes Mansion, a fabulous hotel that is mainly used for conferences. While I found the nearby cache, my wife went in and inquired about rates, etc. Turns out that on weekends they have pretty good rates: $130 or so on a normal weekend, less than $100 on a holiday weekend. For a five-star hotel, that's an amazing rate. We didn't think to ask about Internet. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

We didn't think to ask about Internet. icon_biggrin.gif

I always ask, but usually after I've already paid. I don't have a laptop so I need more than just a conection. This weekend the hotel was nice enough to let me use their computer in the office to look up some cache info and read the forums for a few minutes.

george

39570_500.jpg

Wow young man you have been busy. Congrats on hittihg 500! My Parents are in town from Texas for two weeks to help out with the home buying process, which is cool. We attended our first WSGA meeting tonight and it was very informative and fun, but I don't think I get to log it as a find icon_frown.gif. Hopefully in the next day or two we will find out if our offer on the house has been excepted, Gosh I hope so I am ready to put down some roots, and get back to my caching life.

Well that's it ya'll.

Pepper

Howdy,

Well I travel WAY too much. There is a chain of business hotels that are very reasonable in price (79.00 on weekends) that have good facilities. In our area there is one in Rancho Cordova, Dublin and San Francisco.

Their homepage; http://www.amerisuites.com/index.shtml

I stay at one in Maine when I am back east. Most have Hi speed internet, those that don't are getting it. I wish thay had this chain in Korea....

Monty

I am a severely patient sort of guy..

Hi Pepper, I am glad you got a house and can get back to serious livin'.

The weather has been pretty bad for the last few days so maybe folks are doing indoor things. I know I am. This morning I ventured out as Fizzy brought a 'Travel Cache'back to our valley so I thought I better get to it before Chuguy or someone from CVC grabbed it. We are sceduled to get more rain this weekend.

Folks really like your caches, Pepper. I am just glad they take care of themselves. Mini Pep is the only one that has required maintenance.

I hope you get lots of lovin' for Valentines Day, or whatever you might prefer.

For sure, add us to the Hotel chain we will have a quest bedroom, and by the time I get finished with the area there will be lots of caching to do within a 5 mile radius. icon_biggrin.gif.

Hotfoot I don't know about the lovin' for V-Day, but I did get a set of lamps for the living room.

Hmmm.. Lovin' or Lamps well at this stage in our life I really had no choice with the very close quarters in are currently lining in.

I was gonna go caching today, but the husband informed me he had to build a cluster icon_confused.gif and change out a whole bunch of Mother Boards. I don't think I could talk my Parents into a day of Caching so here I sit yet once again. icon_frown.gif

Soon, I just know I will be caching, I just know it.

TTFN(Ta Ta For Now)

Pepper

We were down in Fresno until late, and tried to locate a hotel with high speed internet with no luck. Even the Holiday Inn Express there doesn't have it. We ended up at the Holiday Inn Express in Madera that you suggested (16th ave) and think the room is great! I am up late, just having finished entering all our finds and DNFs for the day. Joani's sleeping and I will soon be also. We will be hitting the last planet tomorrow (Neptune in Merced), do a little Merced caching and then maybe move up to Turlock. We may end up in Sacramento again, who knows. We'll make it home eventually. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Fran and I are glad that you two found that hotel - it's nice, cheap, clean, has decent Internet access and snack machines, and a continental breakfast with fruit - a rarity.

By the way, the Halley's Comet cache has finally been approved - it's an ammo box in the woods (that one I told you about that I foolishly paid way too much for) - and located in the Oakland Hills. (The reason for this particular placement is given on the cache page for this cache.)

-Joel

The following is a list of coffee shops in the Bay Area with wireless access... I'd suggest calling one first, because the first one we visited had a DSL modem that was down icon_frown.gif.

This is the list of the Surf and Sip locations in the Bay Area - it costs $5 a day to use them (they also have monthly plans, but there's no way I'd use them.)

I don't know if the $5 gets you all day access at any location, or just the one you signed up at.

I converted this to ASCII text because it let me create a handy sheet to carry with me. This is nice for placing caches, and logging them quickly.

Berkeley:

Beanery 2925 College Ave

Brewed Awakening 1807 Euclid Ave.

Julies Healthy Cafe 2562 Bankcroft Way

A Cuppa Tea 3202 College Avenue

---------------------------------------------------------

Boulder Creek:

Coffeetopia 13090 Highway 9

El Cerrito:

J R Muggs 11740 San Pablo Ave

Felton:

White Raven 6253 Hwy. 9

Fremont:

Suju’s Coffee & Tea 3602 Thornton Ave

Depot Cafe 37260 Fremont Blvd.

Bay Street Coffee Company 4000 Bay Street Unit A

Larkspur:

Easy Street Cafe 574 Magnolia Avenue

Los Gatos:

Great Bear Coffee 19 North Santa Cruz

Mill Valley:

Depot Bookstore and Cafe 87 Throckmorton

Oakland:

Urban Blend Cafe 333 Broadway

World Ground Cafe 3726 MacArthur Blvd.

Hudson Bay Cafe 5401 College Avenue

Coffee With a Beat 458 Perkins Street

Pacifica:

Salada Beach 220 Paloma Avenue

Palo Alto:

La Creme De Cafe 3191 Middlefield Road

Petaluma:

Deaf Dog (Downtown Dog) 134 Petaluma Blvd N.

Deaf Dog (Washington Square) 351 S. McDowell Avenue

Deaf Dog (Smart Dog) 701 Sonoma Mountain Parkway, Unit C-12

San Anselmo:

Easy Street Cafe 882 Sir Francis Drake Blvd

San Carlos:

Plantation Coffee Roastery 668 Laurel Street

San Francisco:

Kaleo Cafe 1340 Irving Street @ 15th Avenue

Itel Wireless (next to Starbucks) 1812 Irving Street

Foley’s Inn 235 O’Farrell Street

Foley’s Irish Pub 235 O’Farrell Street

Cafe Abir 1300 Fulton Street

Martha and Brothers Coffee 1551 Church Street

Martha and Brothers Coffee 745 Cortland Avenue

O’Reilly’s Irish Pub 622 Green Street

Mario’s Bohemian Cigar Store 566 Columbus Street

Crepe House 429 Gough

Rosai Group (next to Starbucks) 2727 Mariposa Street (at Bryant Street)

Sweet Inspiration 2239 Market Street

Bean There 201 Steiner Street

Crepe House1755 Polk Street

Cool Beans 4342-A California Street

Morning Due Cafe 3698 17th Street

Butler And The Chef Cafe 155 South Park

Somaz 474 Third Street

Chestnut Coffee Roastery 2331 Chestnut Street

Hugo Street Cafe 205 Hugo Street

Cafe Espresso Anchorage Shopping Center 2800 Leavenworth Street

Sheehan Hotel 620 Sutter Street (at Mason)

Fitzgerald Hotel 620 Post Street

Embassy Hotel 610 Polk Street

Stratford Hotel 242 Powell Street

Pick Me Up 298 9th Street

Cafe Destijl 1 Union Street

Bean Bag Cafe 601 Divisadero

Brickhouse 426 Brannan Street

At Your Service (next to Starbucks) 247 3rd Street

Royal Ground Coffee (next to Starbucks) 2216 Polk Street

Casablanca Cafe 1609 Polk Street

Mosaique Ghirardelli Square 900 Northpoint Street

Cafe Francisco 2161 Powell Street

--------------------------------------------------------

San Jose:

City Espresso 620 E Blossom St

A Cocola 333 Santana Row

It’s A Grind Coffee House 1645 Saratoga Avenue

San Leandro:

Planet Coffee 1423 East 14th Street

San Mateo:

Taste of Coffee 106 S. El Camino Real

3 Bee’s Coffee 224 East Third Avenue

San Rafael:

Aroma Cafe 1122 Fourth Street

Santa Clara:

Maison de Patisserie 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd, Space 1075

Santa Cruz:

Coffeetopia 1723 Mission Street

Coffeetopia 3701 Portola Avenue

Santa Rosa:

Deaf Dog (North Dog) 2547 Guerneville Road

Saratoga:

French Roast Coffee 12241 Saratoga Sunnyvale Rd

Sausalito:

Cafe Trieste 1000 Bridgeway

South San Francisco:

Hot Shots 219 Grand Ave

Mary and Joani blew past 700 yesterday. It looks like they're making it a 3 day cacheing marathon. Mary and I are headed to the Sacramento area also. We'll be spending the night. If you read this marky, give us a call and maybe we can get together for dinner or something.

(209) 345-5167 george cell

(209) 345-3218 mary cell

george

39570_500.jpg

We had a nice lunch in Livermore, and then went with them while they did Joaquin's Watering Hole.

Has everybody seen kablooey's latest puzzle cache? It has changed names, so I'm not sure what it's called now. I'll bet it's something simple like the last ones, but I can't for the life of me see anything simple yet.

We had fun finishing the planets this weekend. We hit Fresno, Madera, Merced and Turlock. We hid a cache in Chowchilla, Merced and Turlock, but I'm too tired to enter them right now... icon_rolleyes.gif

--Marky

Congrats to G&M and M&J, at least somebody's haveing fun. The girls and I headed out yesterday and got 4 out of 5 and what little troopers they were it rained all day and our fingers were frozen! Caching up here in WA is getting better as for as finds, but I am looking forward to summer which does not officialy start till JULY icon_confused.gif.

Headed to Downtown Seattle next weekend to do some Urban caching, will keep ya'll posted.

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Has everybody seen kablooey's latest puzzle cache? It has changed names, so I'm not sure what it's called now. I'll bet it's something simple like the last ones, but I can't for the life of me see anything simple yet.

If you mean Dizzying Lengths, I just took a look. I think I've made a little progress on it - but I'm never sure with all of kablooey's red herrings (e.g., Sounds Good). If you're interested in sharing progress, email me off-line.

I have tried putting the spirals into a spiral (I.e., the pictures in a spiral) or their filenames... I have tried determining a 'digit' for each spiral..)

Trouble is, the spirals are so very hard to look at (both Netscape and IE on my machine make them look all broken up) that I have a hard time even looking at them for long

But, it is yet another great Kablooey cache - one that will have me scratching my head until I solve it! icon_smile.gif

However, if I can find someone to post a find on this cache, do you think Kablooey will give me a hint? icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on February 17, 2003 at 06:16 PM.]