SF Bay Area geocachers

We all have our battles to pick and to wage. Motivation is an odd thing. The time I save using the pocket queries is worth the money. The fact that this sport is also offered for free completes the circle, people have a choice.

My idealism must serve me well.

Of course, the non members bring a lot of the beautiful locations to this sport, so in that way they contribute significantly...it just takes them longer to obtain and enter the coordinates.

MontytheMule

quote:
...it just takes them longer to obtain and enter the coordinates.

MontytheMule

That may be true with you but I'd guess that most paying members do like myself... all hand entered with printouts and all. Therefore, it takes non-paying cachers just as long as me.

Now if I can just figure out how to get this %^*&( palm pilot to interface with my Mac using Fizzy's wonderful program, I'll have a leg up (and greatly benefit from my few bucks I greatfully contributed for all this fun). Either way, I'm one happy cacher! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif It's all good.

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

TeamJiffy beat us to it by a couple of hours. This is another instant classic with a really killer back story line. It's definitely doable in one day, as long as you don't make any mistakes. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Yes, it is, indeed, a classic with a great story.

Congratulations on your 600th find, Marky and Joani!

TeamJiffy

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

TeamJiffy beat us to it by a couple of hours. This is another instant classic with a really killer back story line. It's definitely doable in one day, as long as you don't make any mistakes. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I typed all the information for my latest cache and saved it as HTML using Word Perfect I then opened it on a program that shows the source code stuff then did a Copy and Paste onto the description box. I click on the send and get a message that my description contains "Script" and it must be removed. What is "Script" and how do I remove it?

I saw that you were 2 away this morning and figured you'd hit it today. I found a few yesterday but cut some caching time out of my trip when my car kind of caught fire yesterday. Maybe I'll share the story at the next geoevent. You have to remind me though.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Hi Pepper: With a little help from Marky I was able to remove the pesky 'Script' so the cache is now awaiting approval. I wish you were here as there is a significant clue you might enjoy.

I've been out trying to find this cache using only the information that I provided plus plus a hand calculator and a big stack of scrap paper. So far I haven't figured out how calculate its location. I guess I will post it anyway and just put a bunch of stars up and let FizzyMagic work out the details.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I found a few yesterday but cut some caching time out of my trip when my car kind of caught fire yesterday. Maybe I'll share the story at the next geoevent. You have to remind me though.

OK George,

What's going on? Are you creating...

''Where's That Valet! (#5) by georgeandmary''

or are you just helping Ron out with the location? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

I did 1/5 of Dog Years, 2/3 of Futari, and 1/2 of Golden Number today. But none finished, and I almost get arrested doing Futari. These darn multicaches just take so long!

So I placed 4 (count 'em) caches today. One relatively nice one for new cachers, and 3 hard ones for you guys who are making me suffer. I even drove all the way down to San Jose to place one near enough to Marky that it would mar his perfect nearby cache record. icon_biggrin.gif

There aren't many hints for now; I want to see how well you people can puzzle them out. So get to it!

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I even drove all the way down to San Jose to place one near enough to Marky that it would mar his perfect nearby cache record. icon_biggrin.gif

Nice! (I say that now, not having tried to find it yet. icon_wink.gif)

So how did you almost get arrested doing Op Futari?

--Marky

fizzymagic if ya don't mine I asked Jeremy to move "Speckles" over to your account.

Marky your getting "You've Got Mail"

hotfoot for you it's "Mimi Pep", "Pooh Box", "It's a zoo out there", and "Some Like It Hot"

chuguy it's "Why Not?" for you.

I hope this ok with ya'll buddy ole pals old friends of mine icon_biggrin.gif

Marky, I forgot about More Camo and More Niles Canyon, would ya'll like those two also.

Chuguy, Camo Curves is up your way do ya want it if not maybe someone up that way will step and let me know.

fizzymagic, Lil Camo in Pleasanton needs some love too will you take it off my hands?

I think that about does it.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

From being the proud owner of three caches suddenly I've got seven. WOW I guess this means you won't be returning on occasion to maintain all your caches?

Looks like I got a clutch of Kottinger caches,

and that is OK by me. I just hope you didn't give me a cache that I haven't been able to find.

I snagged two FTFs today! If you hadn't been in Seattle I would have had to get up two hours earlier and even then you might have beaten me.

quote:

I'm crushed. Apparently my Ceremonial cache was far too easy.

I solved it too... It was easy but very cool (great job Fizzy!) "Ransom Note" was also relatively easy, but I like these better than the impossible ones like "Sounds Good" before the clue, or possibly "The Big Picture" (insufficient hintage?).

quote:

I'm crushed. Apparently my Ceremonial cache was far too easy.

Well, that's like a second language to me. There wasn't even anything to solve. [icon_smile.gif]

Mou, a sennel zuddush woujn zee noo line turnimk jive nit. Teedle typel!

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

...well, after a late evening, sleep, than early morning of research, I now know more about the history and design of labyrinths than I ever thought I would learn.

...but I am still no closer to any clue of how to tackle The Big Picture icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif (I.e., I am confused but happy to work out a fun puzzle.)

I feel like Jabez Wilson at finding the Red-Headed League was dissolved... I don't know what's going on, but I do have a new, deep knowledge of something I didn't know much about before... icon_smile.gif

-J

On a different note, here's a fun little puzzle for all of you:

What do the following numbers represent?

1, 1.8461, 2.564, 3.897, 13.333, 24.461, 49.179, 77.077, 101.333

quote:

I'm crushed. Apparently my Ceremonial cache was far too easy. I have to resist the temptation to give so many clues in the text!

Well, Mr. Smartypants, fine. Have you got the coordinates for The Big Picture yet?

I don't know if it's far to easy. I figured out how to figure it out but I haven't sat down to figure it out... get it? Not everyone will figure it out right away though.

I might be heading that way this weekend so we'll see.

The Big Pictures is still being thought about. Unless you just encryted the coordinates into the photo itself.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Fizzy you should be glad to know that as of now all three of your new puzzles have me stumped. icon_smile.gif

As well as a couple of Hotfoots and Kablooeys and others. icon_wink.gif I think at this time I am hanging up my thinking cap. icon_biggrin.gif

I do have a nice idea for a new cache thanks to all the puzzles, as all will see in the next couple of weeks. icon_cool.gif

I kinda want to wait until I complete the cache to tell the whole story. For now, all I can say is that I had an interesting conversation about LED flashlights with a very personable officer of the law while he ran a check on me.

icon_biggrin.gif

The Big Picture

If nobody has made any more progress, I will add another hint Friday morning. Rat, you should pay attention: this one should be right up your alley.

Oops. An inadvertent hint... icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on January 29, 2003 at 10:41 PM.]

quote:

TeamJiffy has solved it. So it _is_ possible to do with the information provided. I have added something small to the hint, though, to clear up some possible confusion.

There are many, many people that are better at solving puzzles than I. I'm still clueless even with that extra hint. I'm glad Fizzy didn't place this one onto my nearest caches list. I'm still 1 away from clearing my top 200, but I think I'll be able to do that on the way home.

--Marky

The below information is an email from Jeremy and I do not know how to get the ID numbers from the URL of my caches I want to adopt out.

Basically I want to adopt out all the caches I left behind.

Two of which have been taken care of by the user CoffeeCrew "Flat Stanley & Nature's Goodness".

Pepper

"Can you do me a favor? It'll speed up the process if you can give me the ID numbers of the caches since you have so many. You can get the ID from the URL. Thanks!"

Jeremy

to Kusanagi he stepped up and help me out! icon_smile.gif

Now I can make Jeremy happy and get all the caches adopted out to there new owners.

All I have to say is I got wet today, REAL WEt and came home with no finds and 2 DNF's. icon_redface.gif

Well that's about par for my caching these days. Maybe I should take up quilting. icon_frown.gif

Sounds like winter geocaching is tough up there. That's weird for us to imagine since winter is the nicest time to geocache down here! But stick with it. I hear you're going caching with a friend of mine next week!

The Big Picture

I met TeamJiffy at The Big Picture tonight and gave them their FTF prize, which wouldnt fit in the cache. We discussed when I should update the clue, now that it's been found. J convinced me to hold off a couple more days, as he is convinced that The Rat will solve it as is. What do you folks think?

quote:

We discussed when I should update the clue, now that it's been found. J convinced me to hold off a couple more days, as he is convinced that The Rat will solve it as is. What do you folks think?

I think as long as people are still finding it, you shouldn't let the helpless ones badger you into giving hints. I know it's hard to resist, though, having been a hider who has been so badgered. [icon_smile.gif] As a finder, I eagerly await a hint, but since it's been solved by at least two people now, you should give the other one at least a weekend to see whether he wants to make the trek out there.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.