SF Bay Area geocachers

Now that Venona has been captured and the free world is safe... Would anyone be interested in a Dinner Gathering (curtain call) at Cattlemen's Restaurant & Saloon. If I get enough positive replies, I will schedule a Saturday Evening Event on either 2/22 or 3/1 (tentative).

Feel free to post on this forum but email me if you would attend and give me your head count (gestimate).

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

One possible idea for the dinner is this: in order to come, you have to have found both Double Agent and Double Trouble.

You never replied back to me about Double Trouble. I asked if it's still possible to do it (the cache page mentions clues being in Double Agent, and I didn't know if the clues were still there.)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

.....I haven't checked this out thoroughly yet, but it may have potential as a MobiPocket replacent.

MobiPocket Replacement

Anything that looks more like the former Palmable work done by Brian would be great !

Also check outthis cache watcher utility developed by Clayjar. (here's the forum link)

Cache Watcher utility

To get the utility, go toward the bottom of the thread and find one of the last posts with *get it at the usual place* link. When you get there, go toward the bottom and get the latest version. I think it's 1.0.15 or something like that.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:

Oh -- of _course_ it's still doable. In fact, I highly recommend it. But read the cache page first.

I had already done the activity on the page, I just wasn't sure if the other part was still active. I guess I'll have to wander over to Double Agent...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Well, I guess I asked for it. Check out Kablooey's new cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=44444.

Nasty cryptogram, and even after solving it, there's still a long ways to go.

Yeah, after solving it, I'm still not sure what I am supposed to 'extract'. There's a lot of noise...

--Marky

Well hi ya'll Pepper here not to much going on up in WA except that the weather is awesome today. I have several caches lined up to do today we did two yesterday found one and we have to go back for the other now that we have a hint. One nice thing right now is the whole family is cahing together and it's been almost a year sence that's happen. I am gonna attend a WSGA meeting on January 14th and at that point in time I plan on suggesting an area thread.

Hofoot the server is down so I will not be able to send you the micro GEO note, sorry about that.

Have a great day.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I've now got two caches drying out. The zip lok bags saved both logs but the stashnotes are history. I'm going to print the new ones on that wonderful National Geographic 'Adventure Paper' that Fizzymagic gave me.

While laid up with a cold I've been dreaming up a night time cache and I wonder where I can get some of that tape that PG and E wraps around their power poles? It really shows up when hit by head lights.

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

...I wonder where I can get some of that tape that PG and E wraps around their power poles? It really shows up when hit by head lights.

Wild animals should really consider evolving to this kind of fur...

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

When are you going to hit this cache....

I'm sure it's not to far from you, <20 miles?

george

That cache is about 340th nearst cache to our house. Joani's not up for that level of biking just yet (and neither am I), and it's a bit too far for a day hike. It might be fun to backpack in during late spring...

--Marky

--Marky

It was in my top 100 for the longest time. Only 24 mile from my house as the crow flies. I dreaded going for it for the longest time since I knew it was going to be tough.

Eventually it got bumped off the top 100 but I still had to go for that one, I just finally found someone else dumb enough to go with me.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I recently took my first mountain biking ride ever, and it was only 3 miles in to the cache (all uphill). I was a wreck by the time I got to the cache (not only had I not mountain biked before, but I really only bike a few times a year, so was not really ready for so much climbing). It was a lot of fun on the way back down. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Eventually it got bumped off the top 100 but I still had to go for that one, I just finally found someone else dumb enough to go with me.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

For once, I didn't fit in that catigory. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

What if (even though the cyphertext is completely decryptable but for that infernal extra letter), removing each set of five letters that contained less than three consecutive vowels (making a 'long sound') what do you get? Something that forms a sort of pattern graphically? Nope... dumb idea...

Does a 'long sound' refer to if you say the coordinates out loud, that they sound 'good' and 'funny' - sort of like that funny radio skit about bulbous bouffants and other odd sounding words (mukluk, macadamia...?

I gotta say, this cache is driving me more than a bit batty... icon_razz.gificon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Kablooey put a hint on the Sounds Good page. Can anyone make sense of it? It didn't do anything for me...

--Marky

Has anyone tried chucking groups that didn't contain long sounds...

For:

''SFCZP EEOUP EOIUA IUAEP IAOUW JFAPJ QIEOZ...''

Drop:

''IAOUW''

Now deal with:

SFCZP EEOUP EOIUA IUAEP JFAPJ QIEOZ...''

Just asking icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

I tried this - the trouble is that I get: if you drop in the encrypted text, the best answer for plaintext is still the same letter substitutions - you just get partial words.

Now, if in the plaintext, if I try such considerations as you list (numbers with long vowel sounds), you do indeed get possibilities for the cache....

The trouble I run into is I get a number of possibilities, but if you say that they are all within the degree/minute listed on the cache page, you get possibilities that seem to me to be above terrain '1' or on private property. But I may be really wrong in this last paragraph, so don't trust it.

-J

....and bay area cachers.

Fizzy posted in the CVC forum that he is working on a Mobipocket replacement and I posted the following in response...duplicating it here for him and bay area cachers to see.

Also...how many of you bay area cachers use a Palm device when caching?

I got the Lil Devil Spinner working and really like its results. I also am pleased with the Cache Watcher by Clayjar....

Now Fizzy has one in the works. The features sound great...the downside of needing Perl on one's computer doesn't sound to inviting though...maybe Fizzy will find a work-around that.

Fizzy...here's a more general question for you.

Does geocaching's use of GPX insure that your and the other new programs will ALWAYS be available to us, or will these too fade away in the next 6 months to a year?

I know that Lil Devil has already seen big demands on his server from people tapping his Spinner.

That seems to be the good thing about the Clayjar Cache Watcher as it runs completly on one's home computer...on the other hand (as far as I know) it doesn't convert to Palm held files...maybe he is working on that.

Thanks to all three of you (and any others) who bring this aspect of caching into our hands while out in the field.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

I am new to this. I saw a post about permits and guidelines for caches in the MPROSD.

Does anyone know about permit requirements for Stevens Creek County Park?

MontytheMule

I don't believe there are any known requirements for Stevens Creek County Park (or any of the county parks).

--Marky

quote:

I have a Palm device, but I no longer use it at all for caching. My new Danger cell phone lets me access the live geocaching website directly, and I've been submitting my cachelogs straight from the cache sites recently (no more getting FTF but having somebody else sneak in FTL).

Caveat: The company I work for sells this phone

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

quote:

I have a Palm device, but I no longer use it at all for caching. My new Danger cell phone lets me access the live geocaching website directly, and I've been submitting my cachelogs straight from the cache sites recently (no more getting FTF but having somebody else sneak in FTL).

That's some pretty cool tech. I still use my visor, I don't have anything that cool. My Nextel phone does WAP internet, but for some reason, won't work with goecaching.com's wap portal.

--Marky

Thanks to all the hints in the previous posts and the updated hint on the cache page, I have it figured out! Now I just need to find a way to California! Muahahahahaha

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

I believe I have solved it.

I am on my way to the cache...

I verified that you solved it, I saw your name in the log sheet. icon_biggrin.gif Congrats on a great job. Congrats to Brdad as well, too bad you weren't here to sign the log. Kablooey was nice to give me credit, even though I didn't know it myself at the time. icon_wink.gif It was a good way to wind down the day on my 46th birthday. This was find 543 for us. We also placed two caches while out on a late afternoon stroll and they aren't micros! icon_wink.gif

--Marky

pulls a vaccume. We headed out of town this weekend to Levenworth WA, a small German Village in the Cascades. Wow! it was beautiful and the snow fall was beautiful. We stayed an extra night just so we could play in some powder snow and it was well worth it. German food, fresh snow fall, catching snow flakes on our tounges, sledding and hot coffee in 30 degree weather. BIG fun. Caching in snow 3 to 4 ft deep is not easy, I have had more DNF's while here than I've had the whole time I've been caching. Maybe tomorrow at the WSGA meeting these nice folks will give me a few pointers!

Hope every body has a great day.

Today we find out if Shane becomes a Microsoft Slave!

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Caching in snow 3 to 4 ft deep is not easy, I have had more DNF's while here than I've had the whole time I've been caching. Maybe tomorrow at the WSGA meeting these nice folks will give me a few pointers!

Hope every body has a great day.

Today we find out if Shane becomes a Microsoft Slave!

Pepper

Required snow caching gear.... blow torch.

So Pepper might be married to a Microserf.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pepper -

Congratulations to you and your husband on his new job with Microsoft!!!

But... as to your comment: "Now we find a house and cache!"

...I believe you have your priorities in the wrong order. Look for the caches, then the house, in that order icon_biggrin.gif

There will always be homes on the market, but caches may be archived or looted

You can always stay in a hotel, or extended stay. Indeed, if you lived out of a car, your caching would be all the easier, as you could take your entire home with you as you cache.

With caches, First to Find (FTF) is an honor. With homes, it's a more competitive "Highest Bid" (HB). It doesn't even matter if you are first to find a home - you still have to bid on it!

With caches, finding a bug is a good thing. With homes, not so...

All in all, caches sound a lot more fun than homes!

-Joel

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on January 13, 2003 at 07:53 PM.]

Hey, congratulations, team Supergenius! We will also be moving up to the Pacific NW (though not as far north as you). We agree with

quote:
Now we find a house and cache!

- and we actually already found a house! It's even about 1000 feet from this cache - which we could not find on our first attempt icon_eek.gif! Durn evil micros...

Anyway, back to my regular lurking, and maybe some packing... and hopefully a little more caching before we leave the wonderfully cache-dense bay area... thanks, everyone, for all the caches!

--Alison

(and Andy)

Thanks, Fizzymagic! Like Pepper's husband, I'll be joining the Wintel monopoly icon_wink.gif, but at Intel in Hillsboro as a Process Engineer. The semiconductor industry should be a very interesting, and I'm definitely ready for a change from academics. Andy is bemused, because he's always been a Linux/AMD kind of guy; none of our 3 computers actually have Intel processors (but don't tell my new boss that!). He is going to take a couple of months off to write "the great American computer game" icon_biggrin.gif before starting to job-hunt himself (or try to sell his game, if it's gone really well...)

There look to be some good caches up there, too, though we'll have to get used to hiking in the rain...

Wow, we packed four whole boxes before coming back to the internet. Onwards!

--Alison