SF Bay Area geocachers

I would like to thank Venona for an exciting morning. I almost feel bad about all the nasty things I said about you in the past. icon_biggrin.gif The deception was well planned out to the last detail. I knew it would not be as easy as just showing up at double agent at noon, but I had no idea it would be so much fun.

It was like an old detective movie with the cast of characters showing up to the scene of the crime. No one quite sure who to trust or suspect. Then when the clock struck 12:00, a mysterious car drove up with two innocent looking teenage girls. We soon found out that they were undercover agents associated with Venona and that they were there to deliver us with a secret message. They were well trained and did not break their silence despite intense grilling of a seasoned professional.

With the message delivered we all worked feverishly to decrypt it. Once the message was cracked we were all off to a new location. Once again we found a messsage from the infamous Venona and it directed us back to the area where we started.

Once back at the first location, we soon found the hiding place of the gold garbage travel bug. Detective Pepper found it first and soon after we all followed her lead.

I have to admit that Venona had made a couple of mistakes and allowed me to determine who he/she was. However I wasn't sure if anyone else was involved in this deception and when I confronted him/her Venona told me that he/she acted alone.

Well Done!

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

If and when Hotfoot's event page gets approved, I'll post the whole story there. There are a lot of unknown details that will probably be amusing to people.

I enjoyed the whole thing immensely. I hope everyone else did, too. I think we should have these sorts of things occur in our area every so often.

If Hotfoot's event doesn't get approved, we'll figure out some other venue for The Real Scoop.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

If Hotfoot's event doesn't get approved, we'll figure out some other venue for The Real Scoop.

If the event doesn't get approved you can take an old disabled cache and convert it to an event cache then archive it.

You can have one of mine. I have a couple disabled that I could just as easily not replace.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

The Venona Story

I look forward to hearing all the details. Joani said she knew who it was ever since the November Picnic. We were busy today and missed out on all the fun (but we made it to #501, so we were having some fun of our own). icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. On our adventures today, we were listening to Cryptonomicon on tape...

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Way to go Marky and Joanie. I feel for you if you have to drive all the way to the valley to get caches now. I'm driving to LA.

I had plans to drive there today but after having fun in Livermore we decided to just get an early start wed morning instead of wasting the day driving to LA in the afternoon.

I'm still shooting for 700 (12 more), tomorrow.... tomorrow.

george

39570_500.jpg

I told you I had nothing to do with it but no one would believe me accept one cacher! I'm surprised Venona came forward but relieved as too many fingers where pointing at me. icon_eek.gif

I knew there would be a great disappearing act once I was tagged so I figured I'd better do something fast. I tried so hard to win someone over to trust me but they just wouldn't budge. I pulled the plug in hopes the appearance would happen. I guess that worked. icon_biggrin.gif

As Fizzy pointed out, there's a lot more to this story. A real life (make believe) who done it! Great job Venona! [Who was it that started calling him Verona? That a song unworthy of that cacher!]

Happy New Year Bay Area! icon_cool.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Signature and nut to follow

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I feel for you if you have to drive all the way to the valley to get caches now.

We really haven't done a lot of the bay area caches North of San Mateo on the west side of the bay and North of Fremont on the east side. I really don't like driving in SF or the Oakland area, so maybe that's why. I'd rather drive out to the valley where it's easier to park... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

If and when Hotfoot's event page gets approved, I'll post the whole story there. There are a lot of unknown details that will probably be amusing to people.

I enjoyed the whole thing immensely. I hope everyone else did, too. I think we should have these sorts of things occur in our area every so often.

If the event doesn't get approved, I have plenty

of space available on my website, and can place a separate page for it.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Trish

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

quote:
Originally posted by wa6ube:

of space available on my website, and can place a separate page for it.

Webspace isn't an issue. In fact, Venona has his own website, which never got used. At least, not yet.

Check it out.

Venona also has a cutout email account and several other interesting items. You folks didn't even start to do the tracing I thought you would.

On the other hand, Venona was sloppy in a couple of ways. He learns fast, though!

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on January 01, 2003 at 12:39 AM.]

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by wa6ube:

of space available on my website, and can place a separate page for it.

Webspace isn't an issue. In fact, Venona has his own website, which never got used. At least, not yet.

Check it http://home.attbi.com/~Venona.

Venona also has a cutout email account and several other interesting items. You folks didn't even _start_ to do the tracing I thought you would.

On the other hand, Venona was sloppy in a couple of ways. He learns fast, though!

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on January 01, 2003 at 12:39 AM.]

Ah .. OK, Visited Venona's webpage.. The warning

sign is great .. a la Bill Dana .. icon_rolleyes.gif

Trish

quote:

You folks didn't even _start_ to do the tracing I thought you would.

I could have done a lot more tracing, but I didn't really want to spoil the mystery that way. It was more fun watching the events unfold. Plus, like I said, Joani knew long ago and never wavered. She has deductive powers that are beyond comprehension by mortals. Something to do with being a direct decendant of a Salem witch, I think... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

I told you I had nothing to do with it but no one

would believe me accept one cacher! I'm surprised

Venona came forward but relieved as too many

fingers where pointing at me.

I knew it wasn't you Green Achers. In fact, I knew

who it was from the beginning. I even had "proof"

of Venona's identity but I didn't want to spoil

the fun. icon_smile.gif

Venona didn't actually come forward, but was

"caught" when someone recognized his accomplice.

Actually, I checked on that... It turns out that the person that thought they recognized the accomplice was wrong. It wasn't who they thought it was.

Venona got caught by a variety of mistakes, though. Apparently a life of crime wouldn't work out so well for him.

I expect you to post your whole story on the event page, too!

Now that Venona icon_cool.gif has been fingered I'm not staying off the forum... I have to ask.

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Buddy Ebsen?!

You're lucky this is just a game! That was a desperate attempt to see if I was still reading this forum. I was and that almost worked. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

quote:

I thought you might appreciate that. Nobody else seems to have gotten it.

Joani and I thought this was hilarious when we saw the post. Maybe only the baby boomers got it. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

The trail sign said "Trails closed due to poor conditions" or something like that, but we asked the ranger and he said it only applied to horses. The trails were very muddy and wet. I would suggest gortex boots if you plan on going for these during the rainy season. Enjoy!

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

I thought you might appreciate that. Nobody else seems to have gotten it.

Joani and I thought this was hilarious when we saw the post. Maybe only the baby boomers got it. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

I had to look it up. When I saw ol' jed's mug shot, I knew I had Venona's attention.

Bill of Green Achers

Hi ya'll I made it to WA safe and sound. Wow I love it up here except for the rain, matter if fact it is raining now. I broke up the drive with road side caches all the way up Northbound only. We just got an ISP and here I am, WOW the forums have been busy since i've been gone.

Ok let me start with congrats to Joani and Marky on hitting 500, geezzz guys your doing great and I wish you could of made to the event of Dec 31st it was big fun.

I did get the Buddie Ebsen hint, i'm a smart girl some times, and after that it just confirmed what I already knew!

Now I need to log some caches firstly the Double Trouble cache which I was FTF and secondly the event cache.

Chuguy and Chugal thank you sooo much for WA Atlas it is coming in handy, although the husband downloand WA maps in my GPS for me so I am in good shape.

Fizzy you are too much and I am gonna miss you something awful.

Hotfoot, Fizzy said he would adopt you from me and that works well you two have fun (without me icon_frown.gif)

Well I must sign out I caches to log and sleep to get.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:

Don't listen to Venona. He is just mad that he got exposed.

I think fizzymagic's alter ego is getting out of hand... I'm imagining fizzy's good and bad personalities talking to each other like Gollum in "The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers" icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe we should have had a paddy wagon parked around the corner at the Spy Special event and thrown a net over him when he showed up? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I did get the Buddie Ebsen hint, i'm a smart girl some times, and after that it just confirmed what I already knew!

Pepper

Pepper,

Glad you made it safe and sound!

Now about this Buddy Ebsen thing - I guess I'm too dense - or maybe too old. He was Fess Parker's sidekick in the Davy Crockett series, and later, Jed Clampett. I don't get the hint. Please explain it. If it's a spoiler, send it to me off list.

here's my take on the buddy ebsen thing. I am not as smart as I thought I was, but I was thinking that buddy ebsen was on Green Achers, not the Beverly Hillbillys. So with me being wrong in my thinking, I was telling myself that Bill AKA Green Achers was not Verona. As far as the correct part of the hint I guess I did not get it, but I got what I need in a backhanded kink of way. I'm tired and have no idea if that made any sence at all?

All is well so far, but I am real sure we got a room for the weekend in a not so good area icon_confused.gif. Darn the luck.

Well I still need to log my Northbound I-5 caches maybe I will do that now.

Missing ya'll something awefull!

Pepper

quote:

here's my take on the buddy ebsen thing. I am not as smart as I thought I was, but I was thinking that buddy ebsen was on Green Achers, not the Beverly Hillbillys. So with me being wrong in my thinking, I was telling myself that Bill AKA Green Achers was not Verona.

Okay, well that sort of makes sense - at least as much as me vandalizing Livermore city property and soaking one shoe. Like you, I got there eventually anyway.

I think it was Eddie Albert on Green Acres. But what was Venona thinking of? I still don't get his Buddy Ebsen reference. Is this like Family Feud where you win if you are the best at guessing the same wrong answers that the audience does? (E.g. People named Alfred ... A: Einstein).

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

I think it was Eddie Albert on Green Acres. But what was Venona thinking of?

I thought it was perfectly in character for Venona to mix up Eddie Albert and Buddy Ebsen. That's part of what made it so funny to me.

--Marky

quote:

I thought it was perfectly in character for Venona to mix up Eddie Albert and Buddy Ebsen. That's part of what made it so funny to me.

That was the idea; Venona was trying to claim he wasn't Green Achers but ended up with the wrong actor. The fun thing about it was that it was a backhanded jab at Bill at the same time. Bill told me it almost got him to post!

Rat: I don't think I heard about vandalizing Livermore property. Is there something I missed?

quote:

Rat: I don't think I heard about vandalizing Livermore property. Is there something I missed?

But first, remember Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436 (1966)

1. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?

2. Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?

3. You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?

4. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?

5. If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?

6. Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?

Now spill your guts, Rat! Where were you?

Ebsen:

Remember that I had "quit" before that Jed comment. Venona was telling everyone they were wrong about me being invloved. He was also trying to see if I was still reading the forum (which I was) and bring me out swinging.

It was the same thing HotFoot did to Lamneth

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

The alternative to all this is that Lamneth is being a dirty little boy and is playing with himself. At which point I guess we are mere voyeurs.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamneth:

HEY! ...who you calling little?

_IAE2S SAFND R0YHR SXQS6 RETFI UO2_

and look that that reaction! HotFoot was trying to get Lamneth and Venona interacting and it half worked!

Bill of Green Achers

That was my delima on the whole Venona situation. After doing hand writting comparisons I was darn sure it was Fizzy because of the small r's in his hand writting. When we were out caching together one day we had this dicussion and of course he was denying every thing.

Bill so happy to see you back in, now are you Green Achers or I quite?

Making some friends already up here in WA and I must say Dawn of the Seattle Seekers is a sweet one.

Missing ya'll!

Pepper

We had a _glorious_ caching 24 hours that just ended, thanks to these folks!

My wife (F.) had a meeting she needed to attend in Castro Valley today at noon-2PM. Well, we ran into fizzymagic at a cache in San Jose last week, and looking him up in the Geocaching web site, I saw a couple of caches labelled IQ Test (and then a similar one in spirit, Magic Trig) that he created that looked to be a lot of fun.

I suggested to F. that we make it a caching trip to Livermore/Pleasanton to find them, and stay at a hotel over-night.

Then, I decided, for no particular reason on Thursday, to check out the Regional forum page, which I hadn't done since well before the holidays, and saw the long thread about Double Agent.

All I can say is "THANK YOU" to fizzymagic and Lamneth, and also to "Venona" icon_smile.gif of course (Double Trouble), for these wonderful caches! We've never done so many puzzle caches in one day - and I'm glad that we decided to find 2 of the satellites to Magic Trig late last evening, to give us some extra puzzle solving time (and also have a broadband Internet connection in the hotel room to look up Topo Maps!) (Fizzy - we emptied water out of Satellite #2 - it was quite full - good thing you thought ahead and had the card with the distance laminated).

Again - thank you so much for setting up these caches! My head hurts at the end of the day from all this puzzling, but you've got us grinning from ear to ear!

This is honestly the best day caching we've had!

-Joel

We drive in this area all the time - this is quite easy for us to do. We'll do it tomorrow A.M.(Sunday, Jan 5). What shall we do with the existing log sheet? (We'll save it until we hear from you.)

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=42905

It's been getting a lot of hits and it sounds like the log is full. Can someone drop off a new sheet since I'll be a few before I can get there.

george

quote:

Bill so happy to see you back in, now are you Green Achers or I quite?

Making some friends already up here in WA and I must say Dawn of the Seattle Seekers is a sweet one.

Pepper

So glad you made it up there safely, Pepper. I thought about you all day as I started caching in Modesto at the Flower Clock Web Cam... and the place was full of Renaissance characters. It looked like your bio photo! Stay warm a dry up there... we don't want a hear about a Chilli-Pepper. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Now spill your guts, Rat! Where were you?

You think I'm going to fall for that good cop/bad cop routine? No, I cleverly confessed to Fizzy off-list only to find out he was ready to use it against me. I cannot say more, for fear of compromising Double Agent. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'm innocent and if you let me go I'll never do it again.

quote:

And blackmail, for me, means more crypto caches!

Yes! More crypto caches!

Trish replies: icon_rolleyes.gif

"Marky, you will love the one i'm putting

together in the South-bay"...

Trish

I just spent ten minutes reading the description of hotfoot's three caches.

These look great too - if I had seen these earlier, I would have considered staying a second night in Livermore.

But, boy-o-boy, they do create a complex set of caches in Livermore, don't they?! This makes a second reason I will have to visit Livermore - Lumicon being the first, of course (but not for a while, ever since I had to sell my LX-200... icon_frown.gif)

You'd think there was a place nearby where lots of people who needed to use math worked - people who had to know how to find specific places on the planet precisely and quickly...

Let's say a person wanted to work at that place. If they said on their resume "no college, didn't finish high school, but I've completed Fizzy's, Lamneth's and Hotfooot's caches!", would that be considered equivalent educational experience to get a job?

Anyhow, hotfoot's great caches await, but for another day when we can get out there - perhaps in February (I hope...)

But all these great caches give me an idea for dealing with another issue in this thread.