SF Bay Area geocachers

I was just putting up a post on Cruisecritic.com, where I'm a board monitor, about Geocaching at Castaway Cay and I happened upon Fizzymagic's attempt at finding the Gordacache.

Looking at them and seeing that two of them are in restricted locations, I think that I'll just pass on the idea since Disney watches my board.

There's six caches there now, one claims to be placed with permission.

Notice that the log before Fizzy was a guy who thought that Disney pulled the caches. Fizzy found one.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by Rundex:

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy Caching New Year.

I just listed the final 4 Mini Sprint Caches, Now there are a Total of 5 Micro Caches all in a row just waiting for the FTF. icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the Christmas presents! It's just what I wanted!

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Well my Christmas present arrived a bit early. Christian Andrew, was born on December 16th. Mom and son are doing great. I wanted to name him Magellan but my wife wouldn't go for it.

I did get new vanity plates for my car: GEOCACH.

Everybody have a great holiday! -Mark.

Elvis is dead. Get over it.

Here's a thought for all of us looking forward to solving the mystery of Venona. One of the key suspects in many of our minds has decided to quit geocaching. The reason is not completely clear. My thought on this is if this person is Venona, then what will happen on December 31st? Is it worth traveling over to double agent?

Very interesting indeed.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I will not be able to spy on Verona on December 31st, I just have way to much going on. Any ole way IF Verona is GA which I think he is there will be no reason to stake out the cache.

Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on December 26, 2002 at 11:04 AM.]

When I started reading this Venona thread, it screamed "Green Achers" for some reason. That was the basis for my comment about checking some of the logs in the central valley area. I am glad to see now that I was in good company with my suspicions!

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is on 12/31, especially if it was/is Green Achers since, as Mary has already said, he/they have changed their caching name to "I Quit."

Happy holidays!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Meant to respond to this in my last post!

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Besides: why is everybody assuming that Venona is a single person? How do we know it's not a group of people? He seems to always refer to himself as "we."

Hmmm...and why is Fizzy assuming that Venona is male?? icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

We spent Christmas Day opening the presents that Rundex hid out in Briones. The last time we were there, we cleared all but one cache. Since then, eight new caches had been placed. We left the house early, and it was a cold, windy day for the most part. Around 3:00pm, the wind died down and it was actually very comfortable on the trail. We ended up getting back to the car around 5:30pm, and back to the house around 7:00pm. I cooked up a tofurky to finish the day with a feast. While we were at Geo Birds (which is another Rundex classic), Rundex herself came running up and we had a great chat. The 5 mini sprints are definitely a must do as well. All in all, a wonderful day.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

in Pepper's life. My husband has decided I've had the GPS for far to long and has informed me he will have the GPS and all the new goodies I got for Christmas with him in the U-Haul. He has cleared out all the area caches and downloaded I-5 caches from here to WA. So what a bummer I thought I was gonna be able to play with the new stuff, but it looks as if I got shafted! I had a sick feeling in my tummie when he told me of his news. I felt like I had lost a part of me now it is time to grieve my GPS. Life as I knew it is over I have no GPS, my toy is gone, I am VERY SAD! It's hard to picture me in the Geo Mobil with a paper map in hand.

I need a my very own GPS, now I need to figure out a way to get one and SOON! icon_confused.gif

Pepper in mourning icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on December 26, 2002 at 02:41 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Looking forward to seeing all interested parties at the cache site. icon_biggrin.gif

Unless we find a mess-o-caches between now and then (for our 500 goal), we might be out caching somewhere... icon_wink.gif If we are at 500, then we will be there will bells on (hopefully Venona isn't afraid of bells).

--Marky

Pepper, Fizzy, and Venona,

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the 31st. George and I have changed our travel plans in order to attend this event. I really hope you all can make it. icon_wink.gif

As for today we need to get out of the house and go caching. Off to Monterey we go. I hope the weather remains nice.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Looks like 12ish on Dec. 31st should be fun even if for just a short period of time. Hotfoot and the KoolKoalas are also going to be there, this should be interesting. icon_razz.gif

Have a great weekend all, now I must swim throught the sea of boxes and get to work. icon_confused.gif

Pepper

You may recall that I volunteered to place a New Years Eve cache, in the tradition of George's holiday caches. Here's my idea. Tell me what you think.

I'll place a cache with party items (horns and hats and, of course, champagne) and get it approved. But the coordinates will be wrong. Close, perhaps (within a mile), but wrong.

Then I will make them correct at 11:00 PM on New Years Eve. Anyone who wants to be FTF and get the prize can then go for it, and (if the timing is right) they will be there for a party at midnight.

Does that sound fun? Or should I do something else? Please let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Pepper, Fizzy, and Venona,

I'm looking forward to seeing you all on the 31st. George and I have changed our travel plans in order to attend this event. I really hope you all can make it. icon_wink.gif

I was planning on being there, too, but all my decryption came to nought. I DNF the dead drop today. icon_frown.gif I have sent a secret message to Lamneth via secure method. Maybe I can still make it...

I will not be there tomorrow at noon. I have to be at work. My brains wouldn't be useful anyway. I'm the one that gave Hotfoot the stupid idea that noon might be GMT.

Because somebody finally found my last cache after more than two weeks in a virgin state, I decided to hide a cache in the Redwood City area today, yet another in my search for a puzzle cache that doesn't require a degree in math. [icon_smile.gif]

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

[i don't know if my previous attempt at posting made it or not, but it wasn't complete at any rate. Sorry.]

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with waterproof papers. National Geographic has an "Adventure Paper" that is waterproof and fairly indestructable. At least it sounds that way. I was thinking of using it for cache logbooks as my "Hope you like canned fruit!" cache is fairly water logged (no pun intended, really). I found this link, but wanted to see if there are some experts out there first.

thanks!

-jabberwocky

quote:
Originally posted by jabberwocky:

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with waterproof papers. National Geographic has an "Adventure Paper" that is waterproof and fairly indestructable.

The National Geographic waterproof paper is amazing! You print on it with an inkjet printer, and you can leave it submerged and it won't smear or fade. I am very, very impressed with the stuff.

The only downside is that it is too smooth to write on with a pencil; you have to use a pen. But I am going to start using it for my cache logbooks, and make that note about the pen on the cache page if the cache isn't big enough to include one. If the cache is big enough, I strongly recommend the use of Sharpie-type pens.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

The National Geographic waterproof paper is amazing! You print on it with an inkjet printer, and you can leave it submerged and it won't smear or fade. I am very, very impressed with the stuff.

The only downside is that it is too smooth to write on with a pencil; you have to use a pen. But I am going to start using it for my cache logbooks, and make that note about the pen on the cache page if the cache isn't big enough to include one. If the cache _is_ big enough, I strongly recommend the use of Sharpie-type pens.

Rundex' Mini Sprint caches used this stuff. Pretty neat stuff if you ask me.

--Marky

We're getting close to 500. We were in Stockton today and Joani was on fire, totally putting me to shame on the hard micros. Don't know if we will make 500 tomorrow. We might be close enough to pop over there at 12:00 and hang out with you guys though.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Rundex' Mini Sprint caches used this stuff. Pretty neat stuff if you ask me.

--Marky

That's what that paper was, it WAS hard to write on using the given pencil. We switched to a pen.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

We're getting close to 500. We were in Stockton today and Joani was on fire, totally putting me to shame on the hard micros. Don't know if we will make 500 tomorrow. We might be close enough to pop over there at 12:00 and hang out with you guys though.

--Marky

I was hoping to hit 700 by tomorrow but I'm not going to hit it until at least the 1st.

I've been watching you go and you're putting in some impressive numbers.. good job.

george

39570_500.jpg

I made a cache web page for todays event centered in and around Lamneths "Double Agent Cache". I trust it will be approved shortly so that participants can log it as a find. I suppose Kablooey can log it as a DNF icon_smile.gif I hope that Geocahers will, in their logs, tell us about their adventures in this slight diversion from regular caching. I would love to see a narrative history of this event as I know there were things that I missed. Even today I got there late and missed the first clue that led everyone to 5th Street.

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

I made a cache web page for todays event centered in and around Lamneths "Double Agent Cache". I trust it will be approved shortly so that participants can log it as a find. I suppose Kablooey can log it as a DNF.

We were there in spirit, does that count? icon_smile.gif Around 11:30, we were in Manteca, and had just had a string of 3 DNFs under our belt so we decided to press on so that we could hit 500 today instead (we needed all the daylight hours we could get). We are sorry to have missed possibly our last chance to hang with Pepper. icon_frown.gif

--Marky