SF Bay Area geocachers

I thought Lamneth and Fizzy might be playing a little game with each other and maybe Fizy has set up a new account under the name 'Venona' and possibly Lamneth has accounts with the name SF2062 and Syrinx as the bios on these three are very skimpy and rather new. Fizzy is giving us a lot of information not only the goings on with books at Rad Lab libraries but I foloowed his advice and Google searched 'Venona' and found this to be some code word operation used by Russian agents during WWII. All very intriguey with stuff about Leon Trotsky (See movie Frida on this).

I suspected and still do that Fizzy is Venona even though he passed one of my tests. I asked for a meeting at a coffee house with other options if he didn't drink coffee (Fizzie has told us that he doesn't drink coffee, remember?). Venona replied that he/she loved coffee but prefered vodka..

Test number two will be this week. I thinks Fizzy is off cruising the Carribian on a luxury liner and if we get some posting from Venona we should know that Venona is probably not Fizzy.

The alternative to all this is that Lamneth is being a dirty little boy and is playing with himself. At which point I guess we are mere voyeurs.

Either way the word 'Refactories' has me stumped. My knowledge of refactories stops at bricks, flower pots and toilet bowls.

I love the idea of using the library as their post office for messages. Makes me want to hollow out a book for a cache.

We looked up Verona as well and read about it. This made us think that Verona was the same person, or a friend of Lamneth. I'm not convinced that Fizzy is involved because he was sorta freaked out when he found that message at the lab.

I would like to meet with Lamneth and praise him/her on an outstanding hide. But it appears that Lamneth wants to toy with us for a while.

icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on December 07, 2002 at 11:53 PM.]

Congrats on hitting 600, and WOW that's a big number keep up the hunt!

Wondering if ya'll had a good time at the Fresno get together.

Well guys and gals cache on.

George I have your decon of batteries, Fizzy passed them off to me the other day because he is headed out of town AGAIN. Give me a call Mary so we can work out what to do the ever so important energy source.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Way to go! It looks like we'll make 400 soon, maybe next weekend. Joani wants to try for 500 by the end of the year, but that doesn't leave much time for anything else. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Well Hotfoot and I hit both dead ends yesterday on stage two, but did finally find the cords for stage three. Hotfoot had to get home and put up the christmas tree before he got in hot water with Mrs J.

I still have the decon container in my possession and i'm not real sure I will get back out today because we are having a birthday party for the twins at Clair's house at 12:30. I will be home all moring baking birthday cakes so if you and George want to stop by on the way to South Bay to pick it up I will be home.

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on December 08, 2002 at 09:32 AM.]

Hello all ..

My name is Trish (Patricia) and have decided to

de-lurk after being a member on this site for

a while ..

Am interested in setting up a gps-based picnic

in the Silicon Valley area in the next week or

so, provided the nice weather still holds ..

Hobbies are amateur radio, long-range target

shooting, collecting books on the subject of

espionage, covert ops, and the intelligence

community (350+ volumes at the moment) ..

Loved the thread about Venona .. watch

out for Fedora! icon_wink.gif

I've Pop'd this thread as it looks like it is

both active and local ..

(My partner and I live up on Mount Hamilton) ..

In God we trust .. all others, we monitor.

Jacqui and I are almost always ready for a picnic.

Maybe you can help not only with Venona but with SF2062 and Syrinx also?

Trish, have you looked for Double Agent yet?

I see I just blew test number two. I thought FizzyMagic was going to be gone and if we heard from Venona we could eliminate Fizzy as the double. Mary has pretty well convinced me that Fizzy is not Venona. The means Lamneth is being nasty. icon_wink.gif

If it makes you feel better, Hotfoot, I will be gone starting in the middle of next week. We're going on a cruise on the Disney Magic (yes, the same one that was docked for a week to try to disinfect it). icon_eek.gif

And I have been desperately finishing up my SCUBA certification before I go so I can do some diving on the trip. As a result, you haven't heard much...

What's particularly cool is that jus this week I got a travel bug that wants to get to the Kennedy Space Center, which is (quite literally) right next door to where the ship embarks. So I get to take a travel bug to its goal! How fun.

FWIW, I don't think Lamneth and Venona are the same person. I do think Lamneth and SF2062 are, however.

Hotfoot writes:

"Hi Trish, Picnic and Venona

Jacqui and I are almost always ready for a picnic.

Maybe you can help not only with Venona but with SF2062 and Syrinx also?

Trish, have you looked for Double Agent yet?

I see I just blew test number two. I thought FizzyMagic was going to be gone and if we heard from Venona we could eliminate Fizzy as the double. Mary has pretty well convinced me that Fizzy is not Venona. The means Lamneth is being nasty."

--------

Well, I'm game in the next week or so.. will just

keep an eye on the weather .. would prefer a

Saturday around noon or so .. hmmmm thinking

about Venona starts me wondering about

ground-spikes for "dead drop caches" .. icon_eek.gif

Trish

Welcome Trish!

Fizzy, I found a couple of your caches in Pleasanton Ridge. Lot's of fun. I had to look up coprolite, but it turns out my 11 year-old son learned all about it in school this year. I think I might have to look into private schools! icon_wink.gif

Has anyone checked out www.venona.com ? Interesting bio...

Fizzy, have fun on the cruise. Don't drink the water (or breath the air! icon_wink.gif ) -Mark

Elvis is dead. Get over it.

I've been doing a little research myself.

Look here and notice the name of the last song on the album.

Now look here and notice the name of the second song on the album. Also notice the album cover.

Now look here and once again notice the last song and the album cover.

The lyrics to the "2112" album are here. Notice the line:

quote:
We have had peace since 2062, when the surviving planets were banded together under the Red Star of the Solar Federation.

Solar Federation established in 2062 => SF2062.

As a result, I conclude that Lamneth and SF2062 are one and the same. Or at least both serious Rush fans.

Fizzy,

If you look at Lamneth's profile it says "and the meek will inherit the Earth". When looking at your link to the lyrics I noticed that this line is also in the song.

Maybe your on the right track.

Take some antibiotics with you on your cruise...just in case. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mary

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by wa6ube:

Saturday around noon or so ..

If we want to do this, we need to get an event cache posted to the site pronto! I met Johnnyb5 on the trail today and he really wanted to make the picnic last time but couldn't, so I know he would love to. Joani and I would love to as well. Any thoughts on where you might be interested in having it?

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Joani and I had left today open in an attempt to clear all the caches on our top 100 list when this beast of a cache popped up in our list. The Fellowship of the Ring cache was the first in this series. mbrill has only hidden 3 caches to date, but all are multis and are very well thought out. The Lord of the Ring series of caches start with a set of instructions, which when followed and solved, lead you to the first intermediate cache. In that cache is a new sheet of instructions. Repeating the process gets you to another intermediate cache. One more time leads you to the final cache (I'm actually assuming this is the case for the current cache because we ran out of time today so only completed the first two legs.) We have the coords for the next (final?) cache, but might not be able to get to it until next weekend. I highly recommend all of mbrill's caches.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

If we want to do this, we need to get an event cache posted to the site _pronto_! I met Johnnyb5 on the trail today and he really wanted to make the picnic last time but couldn't, so I know he would love to. Joani and I would love to as well. Any thoughts on where you might be interested in having it?

--Marky

-----

Yes, I'll make a trip out to the site today in order to capture the lat/long and get a message out this evening when I get home ... date will be

December 21st..

(provided we still have clear weather) icon_eek.gif ..

Trish --

quote:

quote:

quote:

If we want to do this, we need to get an event cache posted to the site _pronto_! I met Johnnyb5 on the trail today and he really wanted to make the picnic last time but couldn't, so I know he would love to. Joani and I would love to as well. Any thoughts on where you might be interested in having it?

-----

Yes, I'll make a trip out to the site today in order to capture the lat/long and get a message out this evening when I get home ... date will be

December 21st..

(provided we still have clear weather) icon_eek.gif ..

Trish --

I game for the picnic. If the weather doesnt hold up we could still have one inside like a pizza joint or somthing like that.

this will be my last event cache for CA.

I will be moving to WA icon_frown.gificon_razz.gif the first week of January and I am going to miss the Bay Area caching community and the friends I have made along the way. I will NOT be gone from the forums icon_biggrin.gif and do plan on keeping up with the goings on around here. On the other hand I will have a whole new playing ground with LOTS of cache near my home! So hitting 400 and 500 should be easy, with shorter drives. icon_smile.gif

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on December 09, 2002 at 12:21 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Notice the line:

quote:
We have had peace since 2062, when the surviving planets were banded together under the Red Star of the Solar Federation.

Solar Federation established in 2062 => SF2062.

I really expected someone to pick up on this a long time ago... The 2112 star is a dead give away. I guess there's not a lot of Rush-fan-geocachers in the east bay icon_smile.gif

FIN2S E6YYS 2E0MM

Well, good luck in Washington, the birth place of Geocaching. You've sure done alot for geocaching out here in the Tri-Valley and beyond. You'll be missed.

Lamneth, Doh! I should have seen it. I was a HUGE Rush fan when I was younger (20 years ago!) and 2112 is still up there as one of my favorite albums of all time.

-Mark

Elvis is dead. Get over it.

my tag line is a morphed Rush lyric, from the song The Pass on the Presto album. Not the most popular rush album, but one of my favorites because the lyrics are amazing.

--Marky

quote:

my tag line is a morphed Rush lyric, from the song _The Pass_ on the Presto album.

When I first read your signature it seemed vaguely familiar... now I know why icon_smile.gif

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

[This message was edited by Lamneth on December 09, 2002 at 10:51 PM.]

I got home with a bit of daylight today. First thing out of Joani's mouth was "Let's go geocaching!". So I offer up: "Want to go try to find the final stage of The Two Towers?" "Sure!" "You know it's raining, right?" "Let's do it." "It's not an easy hike in the rain, theres a substancial elevation change. You sure?" "Yup, let's go." "We might end up hiking out in the dark." "I know, why do you think I got this flashlight?"

So, off we went in search of our prize, the final stage. Yesterday, this would have cleared our top 100. Today, it will leave us with 2 to go. Gotta love it.

Well, on the drive out to the trailhead, the rain stopped and there was actually blue sky over us. As we started our hike, rainbows glowed off in the distance. The bay shimmered silver. And no rain. The trail was a bit muddy, but not bad. We had the trail pretty much to ourselves (who else is going to be hiking on a rainy afternoon). We even made it back from the cache without needing to break out the flashlights. Sometimes everything just works out. Thanks to mbrill for a great cache.

--Marky

In response to reading some log entries about geocaches being removed from the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, I sent them a letter asking about their official policy. I got a reply stating that they were in the process of creating one. It took a while, but here is their official policy (I can forward the actual e-mail to anyone interested, but this is it here):

Dear ,

First off, apologies for the long delay in responding to your e-mail regarding geocaching. We have been discussing the District's stance on geocaching. When any new activity starts, we evaluate it based upon the potential impact it will have on the land, and other preserve users.

So far, we have not had any complaints or concerns raised by geocaching activities, so the following requirements have been put into place to allow geocaching to occur on District lands. These conditions are on an interim basis, while we continue to monitor the activity to ensure that there are no impacts upon the lands or other visitors.

• Geocaching will be allowed on District lands, with a permit

• The permit conditions should be as follows:

• Caches shall be placed within 25' of a District (not volunteer/non-designated) trail, to minimize off-trail impacts.
    • Caches shall be removed within six (6) months of being placed. The person placing the cache is responsible for doing this.
    • Caches shall be checked on a monthly basis by the person placing the cache. This is to ensure that the contents have not been scattered.
    • The exact location of the cache, including GPS coordinates, a written description, and a marked map, shall be part of the permit.
    • The District reserves the right to remove any caches which are creating a nuisance, hazard, eyesore or other management problem.
    • A name and contact telephone number shall be placed in each cache so that the owner may be contacted if necessary.

If you are interested in obtaining a permit, please contact Ms. Kathleen Hart at (650) 691-1200 or by email at KHart@openspace.org. We would also appreciate your assistance in spreading the word about these conditions to others who might be interested in placing caches on District lands.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Gordon

Gordon Baillie

Management Analyst

Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District

(650) 691-1200 (Office Line)

(650) 691-0485 (Facsimile)

GBaillie@OpenSpace.org

www.OpenSpace.org

--Marky

Coal Creek Open Space Preserve

El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve

El Sereno Open Space Preserve

Foothills Open Space Preserve

Fremont Older Open Space Preserve

La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve

Los Trancos Open Space Preserve

Long Ridge Open Space Preserve

Monte Bello Open Space Preserve

Picchetti Ranch Open Space Preserve

Pulgas Ridge Open Space Preserve

Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve

Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve

Ravenswood Open Space Preserve

Russian Ridge Open Space Preserve

St. Joseph's Hill Open Space Preserve

Saratoga Gap Open Space Preserve

Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve

Stevens Creek Shoreline Nature Study Area

Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve

Teague Hill Open Space Preserve

Thornewood Open Space Preserve

Windy Hill Open Space Preserve

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Lamneth:

I really expected someone to pick up on this a long time ago... The 2112 star is a dead give away. I guess there's not a lot of Rush-fan-geocachers in the east bay icon_smile.gif

Well, I'm not one, anyway.

But here's where I am still confused: How does "Venona" fit into the whole Rush thing? I can't find it in any of their lyrics or song titles. I get the whole espionage angle, but I don't understand how it connects to 2112.

Sounds reasonable. The one cache I've found in the reserve ended up costing me 16 miles on the bike. It was only about 3 miles in but it was so hard to get a signal with all the trees I kept on riding and looping back hoping to find a clearing. I eventually did find a small clearing 40 ft from the cache.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

How does "Venona" fit into the whole Rush thing? I can't find it in any of their lyrics or song titles. I get the whole espionage angle, but I don't understand how it connects to 2112.

Venona apparently isn't a Rush fan icon_wink.gif.

Actually there is a tenuous link:

2112 was inspired by the book "Anthem" by the Russian born Ann Rand. Anthem (as well as 2112) is a story about individualism struggling to exist in an extreme communist society. I believe the Red Star from 2112 is a reference to the Soviet Union (red flag with star) projected into the fictional future as the Solar Federation (circle added to star to represent solar system).

I suspect Venona linked Double Agent to the KGB based on the theme and the Soviet looking Red Star without making the Rush connection.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lamneth:

Actually there is a tenuous link:

I suspect Venona linked Double Agent to the KGB based on the theme and the Soviet looking Red Star without making the Rush connection.

So are you admitting to being both SF2062 and Venona?

I would like to go on the record with the following statement:

I used the alias SF2062 to support the Double Agent story for my cache, but I am not Venona.

Here is next activity for retrieve Gold Garbage Travel Bug. Decipher message below. Activity must complete before 31 December 2002. Remember word from first activity.

CC53542911D8C8ED03836B2D39DEC61B82D46B793CA0BF60F50036015EB02363B1F31C7830264DF

7784DEAA734DBF5930D1574D876526B304F8132B8E7EAAE8D089D8425E372CA884E058F35933422

FC6C61B730A3BB3B72AAF2D68E24B90F6CBE43474D14F845CA8522AF0011B2C566A8270FFA1946A

90AE7258A27A221B277D1FBACA6488165C3C7F657FF08E25D656E7127A97B0EBC14B1803435E580

D9797E1F17FAEEC030BD5C482BFEE62EB3F719621B82D945DD2F0E6E6E8C51569BC03E5E004976C

00A4CC38017F4C4FC1E2B43F34420491278A605ECBFCE9CFF78ECEA5A810BD6A26739EE19A95B34

C05D419C00878A4F0EC987A4F952DB7C01CA2C5C6066CA6AF4A841992A6399F24E81032BDD6D688

F5EBF51F645D342B675A3D19F8E6BF340E1EA996CC07AC974430F4016925B3E8B2792B65B7BBB