SF Bay Area geocachers

I'm not a Pleasanton resident so I don't have access to the "cool" parking lot. Anyone want to take me up there during lunch? Pepper? You out marathoning? Or are ya free for a geonooner?

::drats, no takers. Maybe some other day::

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

[This message was edited by Marky on December 02, 2002 at 11:44 AM.]

If you do not happen to live in Pleasanton and want to access to Bernal Park you can go to the Park and Recreation office located off Main St. near Bernal Blv'd.and they will issue a gate pass. You then show the pass to the gate keeper and he will let you in. The passes are dated with a max. time of one week.

I was going to get the Petzl that everyone likes but the sales clerk said she was really happy with her black diamond ION, which is lighter but has the same amount of light.

Since the black diamond was $5 cheaper, and REI has a 100% satisfaction guarentee, I bought it.

I didn't really use it much last night, but I do like it.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

So I stop by REI to buy a headband flashlight

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Which one did you get?

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Now that I've had yet another cache placement denied and archived (third one in four hides), I'm thinking I should give up and move to Navicache. Should I even bother asking which rule I've broken now? Where are the rules posted anyway?

> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=45292

>

> Message:

> Archived for further consideration. Questions or comments may be sent

> to ~ncflyers~ (ADMIN) at

>

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

If you are going to put Lamneths feet to the fire how about adding a couple to items to your list? I want to know all about SF2062 and Syrinx. I am curious what activities you are demanding Lamneth perform? Will I need to remove my 'Parental Controls' to read your reply? How about a picture? I hear you are really good looking and have been trying for an FTF on Kablooeys 'Get a Date With Kablooeys Cache'.

Very funny, I thought maybe I had the coords in wrong as I do often, but failed to check until I got home. Hoping maybe the coords were put in wrong would of made me feel much better about not finding the cache. Got any hints for blind as a bat Pepper. icon_biggrin.gif

Love your new cache it was the bomb!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I just looked at the hint pics on the cache page and I was there, right there a few times how did I miss it. Oh well I'm going back tomorrow and get my prize!

You want company? I could take a break at just about any time of the day. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I just got a call from Hotfoot he would like very much to join us in this outing, BUT he is not avaliable until tomorrow. So do you think you gentlemen can hold off on this cache for one more day? Hotfoot and I prefer to hike in the mornings let me know what's good for you Tomorrow.

Pepper

quote:

I just got a call from Hotfoot he would like very much to join us in this outing, BUT he is not avaliable until tomorrow. So do you think you gentlemen can hold off on this cache for one more day? Hotfoot and I prefer to hike in the mornings let me know what's good for you Tomorrow.

Works for me! Any time in the morning is fine by me, just let me know how you want to hook up.

--Marky

This Venona thing is getting kind of interesting. I got an email from Lamneth today to go check a book in the Lab library. So I went, and found the book, but nothing inside it. Then he tells me a building number given to him by Venona, which is NOT the main library, so I went there and found another copy of the book, and inside was a note to Lamneth! Weird. There are more details, but I'll save those for later if Lamneth lets me tell them.

How would this guy put something into a book at the Lab? It's not exactly the easiest place in the world to get into, you know. So I conclude that "Venona" works at the Lab. How many cachers (aside from me) do we know that fit that description? I'm starting to get curious about this guy.

I have received E-mails from Vanona and I am intrigued because he writes with an accent. Is this the result of phonetics?

If you guys are going to hide caches at the Rad Lab count me out. Scaling clifs and climbing trees are OK but sneaking into secret facilities just isn't for me. (Actually, I think I know how but it is a little risky. Maybe I should just tell Pepper how to do it and let her be the FTF. Sometimes it is OK to be second.)

by all means name names, this is geting interesting.

We have a fellow cacher in town from Illinois (cachew nut) and it looks as if he's gonna hit #200 right here in Pleasanton. Good luck cachew nut and I hope you are enjoying yourself caching all alone in the dark. icon_wink.gif.

So Marky and Fizzy we need to set up a time for our hike with Hotfoot to hit Augustin Bernal Park.

Pepper

In the E-mail from Venona I got a long string of letters and numbers that look vaguely like the serial number of my Windows 98 program. After reading FizzyMagics post it became clear that all the numbers refered to a building and the call letters for some book cataloged in the Library of Congress system. Interestingly the Lib of Congress online catalog shows no book with these call numbers. Very close but no cigar!

Yeah, the book was Magnetic Magnetrons and it was published in 1948 or something. I found a slip of paper inside with a note to Lamneth. It said that the word was "REFRACTORY" in all capital letters.

Here's where it got weird: the book right next to the one I found was a report called Refractory Semiconductor Materials, and it was a translation of an original written by three Russians.

So I went and looked up Venona at Google. I'll let you do it yourselves. Notice where the first hit leads you...

I can get into the lab, but I haven't since '87

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

This Venona thing is getting kind of interesting. I got an email from Lamneth today to go check a book in the Lab library. So I went, and found the book, but nothing inside it. Then he tells me a building number given to him by Venona, which is NOT the main library, so I went there and found another copy of the book, and inside was a note to Lamneth! Weird. There are more details, but I'll save those for later if Lamneth lets me tell them.

How would this guy put something into a book at the Lab? It's not exactly the easiest place in the world to get into, you know. So I conclude that "Venona" works at the Lab. How many cachers (aside from me) do we know that fit that description? I'm starting to get curious about this guy.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

quote:

So Marky and Fizzy we need to set up a time for our hike with Hotfoot to hit Augustin Bernal Park.

Any time is convenient with me, just let me know. I'm usually in town by 6:30am. I can drive us all in the Vue if that is helpful.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

What is the best kind of glue to glue magnets to things like film canisters and altoid tins and the like.

Use a hot glue gun. I've found from experience that super glue will give way after awhile. I had one cache I went to check on and the magnet was still there and the container was gone. icon_eek.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

quote:

What is the best kind of glue to glue magnets to things like film canisters and altoid tins and the like?

"

For altoid cans and othersmall similar containers I bought a roll of self adhesive magnets strips. They seem to be strong enough to hold them pretty well.

quote:

What is the best kind of glue to glue magnets to things like film canisters and altoid tins and the like?

--Marky

I don't think I've had hot glue come off a film can, but I've had it come off an altoids tin.

I've been using the buisness card mangents for altoid tins. The stick well.

george

39570_500.jpg

I use regular 3M "super strength adhesive" household glue. Nothing sticks well to polyethylene, so I use duct tape first. Here are a couple of other hints:

• Always glue magnets to Altoids-type containers before painting.

• Coat Altoids-type containers with primer before final painting.

• No matter how well you prepare, prime, etc. paint will not adhere to polyethylene.

• Duct tape seems to adhere quite well to polyethylene containers. I use the camouflage duct tape I got at Dom's, but Pepper says she found some at Walmart.

• Round, solid magnets are much more powerful than flexible, stick-on magnetic material.

• I cover the holes in altoid-type containers with silicone glue to try to make them more waterproof.

Maybe not a lot of wisdom, but I've learned some things!

quote:
Originally posted by chuguy:

Fizzy, where do you find those solid, round magnets that you and Jimswim use. I haven't been able to find them around here.

__It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end__

I got a pack of round magnets from Michaels Art supply. 30 for 4 bucks or something like that.

Of seen a few really powerful small round magnets on containers that really impressed me. They looked like small round batteries instead of the black ceramic looking ones that I use.

Brute Force has been pulling magnets out of old hard drives. They've got a good pull on them too.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Of seen a few really powerful small round magnets on containers that really impressed me. They looked like small round batteries instead of the black ceramic looking ones that I use.

sounds like rare earth magnets to me.

expensive but very powerful.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Thanks to all the Bay area geocachers who hid the caches that I found this week while visiting. I had a lot of fun, and some of the caches were different from what I'm used to. There was a good mix of traditional and micros and I learned a few things that I may try on future hides. I hope that the next time I visit, the area will have been somewhat repopulated. I think it might since you have a very close, competetive, and strong geocaching community. Thanks again.