SF Bay Area geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by The Rat:

There are two or three caches out in the Alviso Slough area (e.g., Alviso Slow, Rebecca Cat) that recommend bicycle access. Can anyone tell me if a mountain bike is necessary or will regular street tires do?

Rebecca Cat is an easy walk from the parking lot, if I remember correctly. Alvsio Slow is a nice loop on hardpack dirt. I did it with off road tires but you can do it with good street tires. I definitely wouldn't do it with racing tires.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Another warning on Rebecca Cat. I think duck season may have started again; so that area might be off limits (or at least dangerous). Otherwise, I don't see any reason why a bike would be necessary.

There are some caches on the Shoreline side where a bike would be useful. When the ground is wet, I wouldn't recommend a non-mountain bike.

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Marky tried for Zebra with a sunburn and logged his DNF, he then emailed me where he looked he was in the right spot.

The funny thing was that I was so stubborn that I had to open every machine. I even opened the Today machine twice! icon_mad.gif Still not sure why I did that, except I wanted to double check that I didn't miss anything. I even had to make a change run to Circle-K to do it. You should have seen the pile of newspapers I brought home. icon_eek.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Oh drat! I recently had my first cache that I hid turn up missing too (I lost my marbles in the forest - in Big Trees Park) and was so bummed!

I enjoyed Zebra and so did my kids! It was our first "urban." I wonder of someone is being sneaky and moved it to another uh.... box. I usually acquire those items on Sundays and maybe will get them from there just to check.

was big fun and it was sure nice to talk with everyone today. George and Fallen showed up from the Valley, what a nice surprise.

Marty ya did good the twins I had a great time thanks for all your time and effort.

Evil maybe, nice guy for sure!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Joani and I had a great time meeting and spending time with everyone. It was our 200th find, and I noticed that it was Fizzy's 300th find. Way to go Fizzy! We also broke into the top 50 in CA! Stats maybe be meaningless, but they are fun. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I need to get to these things earlier. Now I'm just waiting for the two cacher placed for the event to pop up so I can log them.

I had a little help with the micro cache at the event. Someones young son was really excited to tell me some details of the cache he had found. I didn't make the connection until I was told that some new caches were placed in the park. I used the information to throw Fallen off and a had a good laugh while he sat there confused about the whole situation.

I just wish this could have been my 500th, but I have more work to do.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I should've introduced myself to more people but it was a pleasure to chat with Team Kool Koalas and Marty and Pepper and Kablooey and everyone else I chatted with and didn't introduce myself to. icon_smile.gif

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

How many geocachers can you fit into an ammo box?

Hey Marty, I think you should log the traditional at its coordinates from today, then disable it immediately so other people don't go looking for it.

The main reason for this is that there were several travel bugs that went through it today, and we need to log those to not screw up their log pages.

I know it's a pain, but I think it is necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Hey Marty, I think you should log the traditional at its coordinates from today, then disable it immediately so other people don't go looking for it.

The main reason for this is that there were several travel bugs that went through it today, and we need to log those to not screw up their log pages.

I know it's a pain, but I think it is necessary.

Done. Cache has been submitted with a note indicating what's going on. We'll see if it gets approved before i rehide it or not.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

I need to take at look at those DNF's maybe I should see how many of them I went back and really found.

Ok, all tallied now I come up with seven that have been turned into Yellow Happy Faces with 15 DNF's still standing and will remain that way having no intrest in going back to try and find!

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on November 04, 2002 at 06:28 AM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on November 04, 2002 at 06:31 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Total Not Founds:

kablooey 53

CCCooperAgency 51

georgeandmary 49

quote:

fizzymagic: 32

Supergenius: 26

PaulWhy: 22

Marky: 20

MartyFouts: 19

Ron Streeter: 11

bthomas: 4

chuguy: 4

I went back to look at ours (I counted 19) and broke them down to:

9 of them we found later

4 of them were archived

6 of them we haven't found but are still active.

I was already thinking of posting a table on my user cache page listing our current DNFs to encourage us to go and find them. icon_cool.gif

--Marky

Okay, I did what Marky did and realized that my true Not Found count is probably 50. I logged a Not Found on a Locationless--Breaking Away, you might want to read the log though--and I logged a Not Found on 1234, which was part of a forum joke long ago.

Eventually found: 27

Still have to go back: 15

Missed, now archived: 2

Archived after my NF: 4

Should be archived: 2

--

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

Yeah sure only 3 or 4 hours Jim tells me on the phone this morning. Eight hours and 17 caches later I make it home to my little family. What a day we had way to much fun AGAIN and Jim's 200th was a great choice. Not one DNF today we were on a roll!

Thanks Fizzymagic for navagating and thank you Jim for driving what more could a girl ask for except maybe a new flash light icon_biggrin.gif Night time caching is not easy with a broken back light.

Pepper

I do beleive after Marty rehides the cache then and only then will he post the cache give it a few days. We are all waiting. BTW we had a wonderful time on ALL your caches yesterday, your just good George. Don't go getting a big head now ya hear!

Note...Fizzymagic hit number 300 at the Levin Picnic this weekend, way to go Fizzymagic.

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I do beleive after Marty rehides the cache then and only then will he post the cache give it a few days. We are all waiting. BTW we had a wonderful time on ALL your caches yesterday, your just good George. Don't go getting a big head now ya hear!

Note...Fizzymagic hit number 300 at the Levin Picnic this weekend, way to go Fizzymagic.

Pepper

Sorry a couple of caches weren't 100%. I'll go check on the main one tonight or wednesday.

I wish I could have watched you do Fear Factor.

george

39570_500.jpg

...was just reviewing some of my caches (and nearby caches) and discovered that while the trio of hunters found many of the caches in the Knight's Ferry area (21st Symphony, Last Rapids as examples) you seemed to have missed going for my Nothing But Flashlights cache as there was no note made on it, neither a no find or a find. This cache is .6 miles from the 21st symphony cache. Is the Nothing But Flashlights one of the 5 you didn't find that day, but failed to log?

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

We are going to have some wet stuff hit the area starting tomorrow afternoon and continue a bit into the weekend. Since Joani and I starting geocaching in July, we have yet to do any wet weather geocaching. I guess some of those ponchos left in caches will start getting traded out. icon_wink.gif For those of you who have a winter or two under your belts, what advice do you have (equipment, apparel, etc.)?

--Marky

quote:

Did you see the picture I posted?

I was the most cautious of our group there. I have a lousy sense of balance. The good side of that is that I never get seasick. icon_rolleyes.gif

But I still made it to the cache on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

We are going to have some wet stuff hit the area starting tomorrow afternoon and continue a bit into the weekend. Since Joani and I starting geocaching in July, we have yet to do any wet weather geocaching. I guess some of those ponchos left in caches will start getting traded out. icon_wink.gif For those of you who have a winter or two under your belts, what advice do you have (equipment, apparel, etc.)?

--Marky

I've hunted in the drizzle, but not pouring rain. Anyone with proper wet weather hiking gear would be able to do any wet geocaching. Comfort is going to depend on your equiptment.

You many want to put off anthing requiring a steep hike. Many trails get torn up if you hike them when wet.

george

39570_500.jpg

Actually, it was nothing intentional. We were on our way to 21st Symphony and were going to stop by to look, but we couldn't figure out how to get close without going on private property. I'm sure that if we had driven around for a while, we would have figured that out. But we were eager to get to the nearby park with 3 caches.

We returned down the other side of the river, so we didn't go back by it.

Also, it looked a little like it might be a needle-in-a-haystack search through a pile of rocks, which (as you no doubt know) isn't too popular with my compatriots. icon_smile.gif I did talk them into one later in the day, as you no doubt saw. And no, I'm not very happy with the comments one of them made about that one. FWIW, I thought the hint was excellent and I enjoyed it.

But, quite seriously, I had no intention of avoiding it. In fact, if it had still had the coordinates for Mom's Tattoo Parlor in it, they would have had to fight me to keep me away.

I probably won't ever try either Revenge or Revenge, Sweet Revenge, as neither looks like a lot of fun to me, but Flashlights is definitely on my list!

Oh -- the 5 we didn't find were:

Take Care of Your Mouth

Michael Jrs Kids Cache

Fern Gully

Boys Stuff

Fish Tales

It turns out that Fern Gully and Fish Tales were actually there, and we just couldn't find them, while Michael Jrs was gone. I suspect that Take Care of Your Mouth was also missing; I don't know about Boys Stuff, but since tomaski hasn't been too active recently I don't expect to hear, which is OK.

I just wanted to post a short note to let you know that I placed a new cache yesterday that may prove to be a challenge for some of you. It’s called “Point of View” (GCA4B6). Any takers to test the concept out before the rains come? BTW…no hints at this time. I'll wait and see what happens.

quote:

quote:

Did you see the picture I posted?

I was the most cautious of our group there. I have a lousy sense of balance. The good side of that is that I never get seasick. icon_rolleyes.gif

But I still made it to the cache on my feet.

I saw the pic and I have no problem with it being posted. I think most people figured out the situation once they get there. I don't think may people spent time looking in the bushes.

george

39570_500.jpg

Do the signals get messed up when it's raining? Seems like they would, since my DishNetwork receiver has a hard time in heavy rain. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days...

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Do the signals get messed up when it's raining? Seems like they would, since my DishNetwork receiver has a hard time in heavy rain. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days...

--Marky

I wasn't a problem for me on my etrex. Remeber, this system was set up to help the military kill people. They kill rain or shine.

george

39570_500.jpg

I like the idea, Chuguy. It might be more interesting to me if I knew the focal length of the camera lens, image size and/or angle of view. How accurate are the compass directions and are they magnetic? I might be able to play with a topo map before I start the hunt. The IQ Tests have got me hooked on home work.

You're getting too technical for me Hotfoot. I hope this is what you need:

1. Camera lens: 35mm (is that focal length?)

2. Camera angle: I held the camera parallel to the ground. Would that be 90 degrees?

3. Compass: True

Hope that helps. Chugal was my test cacher and she eventually found the cache w/o above info and only used photos from cache post.

quote:

When is the second picnic cache going to pop up? Is that just one multi-find or is it going two seperate finds?

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

I managed to screw up the description and that tripped a filter for the cache approvers. It's going to take a while, but yes, the second cache *is* going to pop up as a separate cache at somepoint -- although, perhaps, not until I rehide it. icon_frown.gif

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

That was a few Mondays back...I remember a mention of nothing but flashlights, but I think we just decided to skip it for what ever reason(I figured it was hidden some rocks somewhere and was not interested!). Yesterday was crazy fun no DNF's out of 17 caches that was fun. Next Monday we are headed to South Bay. Fizzymagic will be out of town so it will only be myself, Jimswim and Hotfoot, unless anybody else wants to join in on the OFF THE HOOK FUN!

Note... to some of the things I read in the CVC formus about hints. I for one can tell you that while we are out in the field we use Fizzy's palm thingie. We only use the hint after we have done a complete searce of the area with no luck. Sometimes we get um and sometimes we don't, but what the heck it's still way to much fun.

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on November 05, 2002 at 08:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on November 05, 2002 at 08:09 PM.]

Hi ya how the heck ya been doing, great I hope. Missed ya at the last picnic. Now about that new cache of yours I know for darn sure I'll give it a try I am willing to give any of your caches a go. Now rather I am a success or not time will tell.

Tell Chugal Pepper said hello.

Pepper

I'm close to 500 and I want to hit it by this weekend. Three day weekend, I'm looking at two days of caching.

Saturday I've commited to a paintball teacher vs student charity event. So I'm looking at loading up some caching on Sunday and Monday.

Keep me in the loop.

george

39570_500.jpg