SF Bay Area geocachers

I am usually content with 2 or 3 caches a day so I was awestruck at the volume that 4 organized people, well,make that three and a half, could do in a morning. The easy part was the driving. Fizzymagic had the route all flawlessly figured out. My special thanks to Jimswim who did most of the record keeping in adition to entering coordinates on my Mag 315 so I could leap out of the car with everyone else. It is always fun to be with Supergenius 'cause she is so good at finding the little devils and you never have to turn on the radio. icon_smile.gif We visited eleven sites before stopping for lunch. I still have a 'Grapes of Wrath' vision of Stockton but we visited some pretty nice places on this group venture.

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

Never been to this park and a quick look at the map shows Calaveras Road going South from Sunol right to the park. Can this be so? icon_confused.gif Has anyone ever used this road?

I've used that road a few times. It takes a least an hour (maybe two) to drive . It is one lane in some places and very winding, but there is no traffic and has nice veiws of the reservoir. I've camped in the Sunol Wilderness. It's not too nice, but at least it's close and has some decent day hikes.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Is anyone in there?

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Alas, I am in Montana, miles and miles and miles from the nearest cache, and often from the nearest Internet link.

But I'll be back in time to set up the picnic at Sam Levin Park icon_biggrin.gif

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Canyon Road...

anyone know what Initial D is?

Well, on Monday my fellow Geocachers thought it must mean Down but for all our luck at finding the cache it could very well mean Decastadia. The cache was named after Diogenes or some other Greek. My own feeling was that it was some obscure measurement used in ancient Summaria for the number of rocks that had to be DISLODGED to find the cache. One D being approx. 5,649.62 rocks.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

That group stuff sounds like so much fun it makes me want to take a day off work and join you guys/gals. Maybe you would have had better luck on Diogenes.

Feel free anytime! We're going to go again next Monday. Probably out 120 past Oakdale, though I think you've gotten all there are to get out there already. Maybe we should do a Patterson run sometime soon.

And yes, you would certainly have been a big help at Diogenes, seeing as how you have already found it. icon_biggrin.gif Actually, given your skill, we would probably have had better luck all around.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Actually, given your skill, we would probably have had better luck all around.

Don't be too sure. I've racked up quite a few DNF's. Almost had one last night. As I was leaving I called Fallen to tell him that I could not find the cache. I told him where I looked and then he worried that it may have gone missing. He gave me a hint so I could double check so that he would know if it was missing or not. It was there. I was inches from the cache many times and just never spotted it.

george

Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Another succesful Manic Monday Marathon included myself, Fizzymagic, Jimswim and Hotfoot. We had way to much fun for a Monday. Looks like we will be gathering weekly for a while doing alot of cache finding together. Wow! the stories I bring home to tell my family with the thrill of victory icon_biggrin.gif and the agony of defeat icon_frown.gif. Looking forward to next Monday, hopefully with all victories.

Pepper

Sound Like Great Fun! Don't miss Revenge

by Fattuhr and LuvOzzy. It is quite a challange! "M.L.S.L." by 493008 (GC4BEE)is an interesting virtual. There is also a group of caches in the "String of Pearls" recreation areamost by Retreevers 4 that we have been trying to find the time to get to. There alre also a fair number at the Knight's Ferry Bridge area, which is an incredibly beautiful stop to see a covered bridge. If you drive out past Dardanelles, we have a couple of virtuals "SOmething Old, Something New" and "The Westward Trail" ROn Streeter has Waterfall #2, which is a good cache and is where I put Your Texas Travel Bug, figuring that there would be more than a few visitors to get it icon_frown.gificon_frown.gif "Jarheads" is also out that way and has an incredible view if you have a 4WD with some ground clearance. If you ever have room for a few more cachers on your Mondays, you have our number!

Bowsprite

icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by Katche4Lee Gang on October 17, 2002 at 06:29 AM.]

Having visited a couple of Ron Streeters virtual caches I E-mailed him my answers to questions he asked but I have not heard from him. Has anyone been in contact or know what is happening? He is usually very prompt so I am a little concerned. Maybe he is on a vacation but then when you are retired aren't you always on vacation. icon_confused.gif

Well I placed another cache yesterday while caching in the South Bay. It ended up being placed a half a mile away from the final stage of NeXT by boren. I placed the cache before I even had the cordinated to NeXT, but it worked out well cause now you can get a twofer out of the deal. Will post the cache this morning. Have a great day Bay Area Cachers see ya on the trails.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

actually after today it's 232. I had both girls with me today for the first time in a looong time. We did six and they never not once complained even after I lied about how far we had walked on one of the caches, yep they actually did a whole mile one way. (Proud Momma)

Pepper

Hello Folks!

Pepper, reading your post on hiking with your kids reminds me of trying to get Lizardbutt to go hunting for caches. I was able to get Lizardbutt to hike your "You've Got Mail" thanks to the blackberry bushes along the one section of the trail. He then wanted to go back a couple of days later to collect more blackberries. icon_wink.gif

Otherwise, the kid likes to bike just about anywhere.

Lizardbutt's Mom

I read your log about the pigeon and the girls and I also had a pigeon encounter at the same cache. The girls were so excited to finally pet a bird, and as we were leaving Little Lila said mom I hope a preditor doesen't get him and started crying. They wanted the bird for a pet and I thought about it for about a second.

Manic Monday Maraghon again out in the valley!

Pepper

Sorry to hear about Fizzy's poached cache box.

I just got back from vacation and caching in North Carolina and noticed that some of the cachers had cable locked their ammo cache boxes to trees and had wondered why. Now I know. Maybe this is something that we might have to do here too. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I noticed your other post on bikeable caches, welcome back, that is if your back.

Pepper

thanks for the welcome, but i won't be back until sunday.

right now i'm sitting around waiting for the arctic front that's due to drop our temperature about 40 degrees in a few hours icon_frown.gif

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

That was my first cache. I took the coordinates at each end and found the mid point. Thinking back I should have stood underneath the spot and taken the coordinates that way. But the hint gets you there.

I hope you heal Pepper. I'm guessing which cache had you stumbling but if it's the one I think, it may have been worse. LuvOzzy was followed by some slimy guy.

I've been reading the logs.

Good Luck looks like it's been overgrown with star thistle. It was mostly clear when first placed.

Now I have to go back and read the logs for the ones you guys missed.

george

Why oh why do I continue to torture myself? I busted my butt, back, leg, neck...anyway I am not in to good of shape at this point, but I will survive. I DO NOT in any way hold Ron responsible for MY actions, my bad for playing in the stupid rocks AGAIN. I will NOT do rocks ever again my feelings on the situaton if you've seen one rock you've seen um all. It was a GREAT day and we really missed Hotfoot next time the whole group will be back in tact. My fav was George's 21th cache.

Pepper

Marky - thank you sooo much for pic of the pigeon the girls were very happy to be able to show there brother and dad the bird they got to pet.

I have put 21st Symphony on my must do list. I wish I had been with you folks today except for the Pepper eating rocks. With only one eye there would probably be two casualties. Everyone has been very sympathetic except my doctor who took one look and threw bottles of antibiotics at me then wanted to know all about Geocaching. I should have full use of infected eye shortly and I hope Pepper recovers speedily.

We are taking off today! Fizzymagic is in Flordia, Jimswim is making is wife happy today, I think he mentioned something about a honey-do list, Hotfoot is still recovering from an eye infection, and for myself I will be caching in the area all by my little ole self. We will be in action next Moday!

Marky and Joanie looking forward to meeting ya'll next weekend at the picnic! You two are caching machines I guess I better get busy or you'll be passing me soon.

Have a great day Bay Area Cachers.

Mr. Vic hope to see you and your family at the picnic.

Pepper

....I was sorry to hear about your tumble at Bullwinkle....those rocks can be tricky...I've taken a few tumbles myself in my exploits. I proved to myself that I am pretty much immune to poison oak as I fell in a batch once when a limb I was standing on decided to give away at the wrong time.

Get better !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I'm back from Montana and I've updated the cache entry for the Levin picnic/event. Let me know if the logistics are OK for people -- and if you think we should postpone because the weather is getting cooler.

Also, tell the other cachers you know. A lot of people don't read the forums.

I'll post the exact coordinates of the picnic tables in a day or two.

Marty

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Wow! Hey everybody!

I've never even looked at the forums before... lol... had no idea ya'll were all posting on here and everything!

Anyways, I'm Jason HolliWould, a relatively new geocacher... I started last winter but forgot about it for a while and didnt get back into it untill a few months ago... (I've only logged a mere 14 caches).

I was checking out the forums today to post an announcement about my first travel bugg and my first cache! This morning I released:

**ROADTRIP BARBIE on her CALIFORNIA~GIRL DREAM VACATION in the "ALOHA FOREST? HERE?" cache!**

After 50+ years of sexism, gender bias, and unfair blonde female stereotypes; ROADTRIP BARBIE has had enough and is ready to break free and get a lil wild and crazy as she declares her much deserved independence! Somebody please snag her soon and help her get started on her trip! :D

Also, last week I hid my first cache here in the bay area, "CRISSY'S CACHE". This is a new type of cache I thought up of, and I call it a "BIO~CACHE". You'll have to go find it to see what its is all about. icon_wink.gif

Its cool to finally introduce myself and communicate with ya'll... I've been reading some of ya'lls log entries for months now... LOL

Well, I hope you enjoy my new cache and have fun with ROADTRIP BARBIE. I already have a few more caches in mind and several Travel Bugs just waiting to start their journeys! icon_smile.gif Happy Geo-Caching

Peace+Love+Unity+Respect

~ Jason HolliWould ~ icon_biggrin.gif

**You must first search in every possible place, decrypt the clues, search every nook and cranny again & again, and finally curse and give up on the stoopid thing out of overwhelming frustration.... Then and only then will you painfully stumble over it in the now fading sunlight as you begin your march of defeat back home!** :D

[This message was edited by Jason HolliWould on October 29, 2002 at 12:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jason HolliWould on October 29, 2002 at 01:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jason HolliWould on October 29, 2002 at 01:51 PM.]

I very cleverly hid a cache just a few days ago and I have started getting feedback and logs noting the presence of 'Homeless' people hanging out near the cache site. I drove near the site and confirmed this. There are some rather scruffy looking characters using this place for card games, bull sessions and who knows what else. They seem to fade away late at night and I haven't seen them in the early morning hours but I can understand why they are intimidating and mess up the straightforward retrieval of a cache. This is only my third cache and I am not too sure of myself as yet so I want to know if I should 'Archive' the cache or just warn geocachers about the 'Homeless' and let them deal with it as just another caching problem to be worked out? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marty Fouts:

Good luck. Don't forget that there are two caches in the park (if you haven't gotten them already)

Thanks! We did those, and the ones in and around Alum Rock Park, this weekend. It was a great weekend to be outdoors. Just three more to go before Saturday. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by hotfoot:

This is only my third cache and I am not too sure of myself as yet so I want to know if I should 'Archive' the cache or just warn geocachers about the 'Homeless' and let them deal with it as just another caching problem to be worked out? icon_confused.gif

Personally, I would work on finding a new location for the cache and just post new coords and description for the new location. That would be easier than archiving it and getting another for approval.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I was at Ed Levin Park this afternoon. Let's hope that the weather holds for three more days, because it was beautiful today.

I've changed the cache coordinates so they match the picnic tables we're going to try to hold. They are oin the Spring Valley Pond area of the park, which is just off of Calaveras Road. There is a $4.00 parking fee.

A map of the park is available at Ed Levin Park

Marty Fouts

ae6ip