SF Bay Area geocachers

I'm a newbie and I just found out my first cache. From my early experience and perhaps my own preference, I think that my future in geocaching lies not in the hunt but in the design of caches.

In that regard, I am doing a little poll of my own before I set out designing caches:

Which geocaches are more enjoyable for you, the scenic easy one or that frustrating, climbing-that-30° hill hunt?

I will also be trying to suit my caches to the avid demographic group. So I would also would like to know your relative ages. You could give me a range if you think that is too personal a question, i.e. I am in the 18-25 age group.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Any comments and suggestion will be taken note off and appreciated.

icon_razz.gif

I'm a newbie and I just found out my first cache. From my early experience and perhaps my own preference, I think that my future in geocaching lies not in the hunt but in the design of caches.

In that regard, I am doing a little poll of my own before I set out designing caches:

Which geocaches are more enjoyable for you, the scenic easy one or that frustrating, climbing-that-30° hill hunt?

I will also be trying to suit my caches to the avid demographic group. So I would also would like to know your relative ages. You could give me a range if you think that is too personal a question, i.e. I am in the 18-25 age group.

icon_razz.gif

icon_razz.gif

geocaching_main.jpg

icon_razz.gif

geocaching_main.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by threx:

icon_razz.gif

http://www.bmwmotorrad.co.za/stories/pix/geocaching_main.jpg

Welcome to geocaching.... now some comments.

Find some more geocaches before you get worked up into hiding them.

Cool containers are great. I'm not in it for the pretty places or trinkets in the box. I'm in it for the challenge, the hunt, the test. If you want to design a clever cache container then I'm all for it. But I still say you need to find some more caches before you hide any.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:

icon_razz.gif

http://www.bmwmotorrad.co.za/stories/pix/geocaching_main.jpg

Welcome to geocaching.... now some comments.

Find some more geocaches before you get worked up into hiding them.

Cool containers are great. I'm not in it for the pretty places or trinkets in the box. I'm in it for the challenge, the hunt, the test. If you want to design a clever cache container then I'm all for it. But I still say you need to find some more caches before you hide any.

george

Neither. The most enjoyable geocaches for me are those with a lot of style. Clever, original caches. Go find http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5872 and you'll understand better.

Will do. Have free time tomorrow after school. After this, probably do some research on other ingenious caches here, in other states and prolly in other continents as well. Will also freshen up on some literature.

I will probably be cacheing a sample next weekend. icon_wink.gif

Neither. The most enjoyable geocaches for me are those with a lot of style. Clever, original caches. Go find http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=5872 and you'll understand better.

Will do. Have free time tomorrow after school. After this, probably do some research on other ingenious caches here, in other states and prolly in other continents as well. Will also freshen up on some literature.

I will probably be cacheing a sample next weekend. icon_wink.gif

Welcome to our obsession!

Your enthusiasm is understandable and appreciated, but I would have to echo George. Get 20+ different caches under your belt and read the forums for a few weeks before placing your first cache.

As far as the types of caches I like, my own preference is a good 2-3 mile hike where I'm rewarded with a great view or unusual geologic feature. I also appreciate caches which are clever or imaginative. But everybody is different, the easier caches get more hits and are more popular with families.

I also recommend that you visit "Stumped," and "Stumped Again." Also, any of Fizzy's or Hot Foot's caches are clever if you enjoy math and puzzles. Pepper (Team Super Genious) has several caches that are very creative (Speckles is a good example).

Again, welcome aboard! Have fun, be safe and I look forward to running into you on the trails.

-Mark.

Will cache for food

Well hello there young man and welcome! Watch out, if your not carefull you'll have a new addiction before ya know it and being addicted to Geocaching is GOOD thing. icon_biggrin.gif

All...I have finally finished creating one of my NEW sig items and have 8 ready to be placed. I think there neat and hope ya'll will like them as well. I am going caching today, not sure where yet, but will be dropping them off at each cache I visit.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 04, 2002 at 05:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 04, 2002 at 06:30 AM.]

Well hello there young man and welcome! Watch out, if your not carefull you'll have a new addiction before ya know it and being addicted to Geocaching is GOOD thing. icon_biggrin.gif

All...I have finally finished creating one of my NEW sig items and have 8 ready to be placed. I think there neat and hope ya'll will like them as well. I am going caching today, not sure where yet, but will be dropping them off at each cache I visit.

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 04, 2002 at 05:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 04, 2002 at 06:30 AM.]

Well, folks, I'm off to the Netherlands for a week. I hope to find at least a few caches while I'm there. It might be a new challenge since many of the cache descriptions are in Dutch, which I do not speak.

At any rate, I'll bring back a few style points, and give a couple of travel bugs a whole lot more mileage! With any luck, I'll find a travel bug there and bring it back, too!

Have fun!

also a pleasure meeting you. Yes, the twins loved there there new Kelly outfits, they dressed and played with them all evening. Picture this all the Kellys sitting around there computers while playing 'Unreal Tournement 2003' death match with the rest of the family! Little Lila informed me last night that she wants to go caching with me and pick the cache where Tommy will start his adventure to find Kelly! Tommy is dressed and ready to go all he needs is a tag, and hopefully that will arrive Monday.

Heading out shortly to go caching icon_biggrin.gif

Joani you did a great job on the outfits and the twins are just thrilled with there new caching friends. Little Lila told me her Kelly will go caching with her from now on. Something so little sure put alot of joy into the twins day! Your a charm can't wait to meet ya.

Pepper

also a pleasure meeting you. Yes, the twins loved there there new Kelly outfits, they dressed and played with them all evening. Picture this all the Kellys sitting around there computers while playing 'Unreal Tournement 2003' death match with the rest of the family! Little Lila informed me last night that she wants to go caching with me and pick the cache where Tommy will start his adventure to find Kelly! Tommy is dressed and ready to go all he needs is a tag, and hopefully that will arrive Monday.

Heading out shortly to go caching icon_biggrin.gif

Joani you did a great job on the outfits and the twins are just thrilled with there new caching friends. Little Lila told me her Kelly will go caching with her from now on. Something so little sure put alot of joy into the twins day! Your a charm can't wait to meet ya.

Pepper

Visited a Corn Crop Maze in Fremont today armed with my GPS, no way was I gonna get lost or have to back track, well I found out very quickly that was untrue. icon_confused.gif

The only good info I came out of that maze with was that I had walked .88 of a mile and my GPS art was a BIG let down.

Crop Maze

That's all my GPS did today, no caching cause it was to hot, but it was cool inside the maze.

Pepper

Visited a Corn Crop Maze in Fremont today armed with my GPS, no way was I gonna get lost or have to back track, well I found out very quickly that was untrue. icon_confused.gif

The only good info I came out of that maze with was that I had walked .88 of a mile and my GPS art was a BIG let down.

Crop Maze

That's all my GPS did today, no caching cause it was to hot, but it was cool inside the maze.

Pepper

I came up with this new word today to describe what our geocaching adventures are: Daycation. We find that while we are geocaching, we aren't worrying about the trivial and boring details of our lives and are just outside having a good time. Today was no exception.

We found 9 caches which pushed us past 150 (including virtuals). We hid a cache in Santa Cruz (Ocean View, which I haven't reported yet). Got skunked twice, both because of newbies (2 finds) messing things up, which was humbling. We smashed 17 pennies (10 at Cannery Row and 7 at Fisherman's Wharf). We just got back and now I need to log the finds icon_biggrin.gif and not founds icon_frown.gif and report the newly hidden cache.

--Marky

I came up with this new word today to describe what our geocaching adventures are: Daycation. We find that while we are geocaching, we aren't worrying about the trivial and boring details of our lives and are just outside having a good time. Today was no exception.

We found 9 caches which pushed us past 150 (including virtuals). We hid a cache in Santa Cruz (Ocean View, which I haven't reported yet). Got skunked twice, both because of newbies (2 finds) messing things up, which was humbling. We smashed 17 pennies (10 at Cannery Row and 7 at Fisherman's Wharf). We just got back and now I need to log the finds icon_biggrin.gif and not founds icon_frown.gif and report the newly hidden cache.

--Marky

This seems like a good price. We came across these at the paintball and survival store at the corner of highway 1 and Stuve Road, the road that leads to Zmudowski state beach (and the Z-Sandy Cache). We bought ten. There were plenty left. icon_smile.gif They had lots of other interesting army surplus-ish stuff there, that I hadn't seen at other surplus stores.

--Marky

This seems like a good price. We came across these at the paintball and survival store at the corner of highway 1 and Stuve Road, the road that leads to Zmudowski state beach (and the Z-Sandy Cache). We bought ten. There were plenty left. icon_smile.gif They had lots of other interesting army surplus-ish stuff there, that I hadn't seen at other surplus stores.

--Marky

A few days ago Fizzy mentioned about a cache "close" to me that I haven't gone for. Well, I went for it yesterday. It was so close that it only took a 100 miles of driving and 3 hours.

We got there just before dark and I had to hurry while I still had light. I finally found it just before it got too dark to see. Then the decision was, drive back the way we came, (30+ miles of canyon road) or head toward Livermore (don't know how many miles) and take the freeway back.

We choose livermore and I think it was the wrong choice. The section from the cache to Livermore is twistier than the sections we drove in on. It was shorter though.

Pretty drive, almost hit a deer, almost had a kid throwing up in a rent-a-car. Fun.

george

just trying to decide which way to go today North or South, hmmm decisions, decisions. Maybe I should just take the day and place the three I have ready. Or I could stay home with my family, or maybe I could talk some of my family members to accopmany me on my geocaching adventures. Nahhh, that will never happen unless of course a miracle was to happen.

I did enjoy caching in and around Tilden Park yesterday, fantastic views from Grizzly Road. Back to bed...

Pepper

Things I like:

Geocaching is fun, good exercise, interesting, makes for great ideas.

I'm still in the midst of designing my Ultimate, Never-Meant-To-Be-Found, Brain Gouging,Curse Word Producing, Heart Attack Inducing, Turn-Around-and Go-Home HellCache that I will unleash upon all of you unsuspecting Bay Area cachers in a couple of weeks.

Things I don't like:

Bugs.

Prickly plant matter.

Poor coverage (no birds in the sky)

Obvious caches. C'mon people, at least hide it with rocks y'know.

Annoying hints.

icon_confused.gificon_mad.gificon_redface.gificon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

It's quiet....

Too quiet.

Wow, George, you've been busy.

Need an update to your spreadsheet?

Wait until the end of the month so I can get a full months stats. I've actually not been THAT busy. I had a good weekend two weeks ago but since then I've just been picking up ones here and there.

I got 7 yesterday and I'll probablly get one (GeoEvent) today, but I might hide a few today.

george

quote:

Things I don't like:

Obvious caches. C'mon people, at least hide it with rocks y'know.

threx, if you don't like obvious caches, just avoid the single star caches and stick to the harder ones. The rating is there to help you pick the caches that most interest you. icon_wink.gif Plus, I've seen some geocachers purposely re-hide caches to be more obvious so that the next finder doesn't have as hard a time. I try to re-hide as good as I found it, unless the description says re-hide better than found. In those cases, there is usually a sad face or two before the next find after I re-hide it. icon_razz.gif

--Marky

I have a cache that I have been working on for about a year. I want to finish it up and get it going for Halloween..so the question is:

I can make it quick and easy like WAITING FOR THE MAIL..or I can make it a bit harder like PLAIN SIGHT and make the reward fit the challenge. Either way, it will be a different cache (and hopefully fun to solve)..

so, since most of you have visited both of these .. your input??

gil icon_confused.gif

Another succesful Manic Monday Marathon included myself, Fizzymagic, Jimswim and Hotfoot. We had way to much fun for a Monday. Looks like we will be gathering weekly for a while doing alot of cache finding together. Wow! the stories I bring home to tell my family with the thrill of victory icon_biggrin.gif and the agony of defeat icon_frown.gif. Looking forward to next Monday, hopefully with all victories.

Pepper

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on October 15, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]