SF Bay Area geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by chuguy:

The first cache we placed (Ribbit) is nearly 5 miles in from the trailhead. This would make a good dayhike. The Gem cache is 9.5 miles in and the last cache (Log It)is close to 13 miles in at Wood Lake.

From the sound of it you probablly didn't go in via crabtree trail head. It's probablly 2 miles shorter to Gem that way.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Yep, we sure did. When I plotted the hike on my topo program it came up with 9.27 miles to the cache. After the hike I downloaded my tracks and it showed 9.39 miles. Both were close so I rounded up to 9.5 miles, which by the way, is the distance listed in some trail guides. Not sure how the HikerGuys got 8 miles...oh well.

Hi folks!

I haven't been caching a lot lately, due to some really rampant allergies and hot weather. I know, I'm a wimp.

I could be mistaken, but is that Kablooey (Rick) also mentioned in the Mercury News article as well? Very cool.

Hope to see all of you who can make it to the Vasona Park Picnic tomorrow! Should be a lot of fun. icon_smile.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Hi folks!

I haven't been caching a lot lately, due to some really rampant allergies and hot weather. I know, I'm a wimp.

I could be mistaken, but is that Kablooey (Rick) also mentioned in the Mercury News article as well? Very cool.

Hope to see all of you who can make it to the Vasona Park Picnic tomorrow! Should be a lot of fun. icon_smile.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

I have created a SFBay Area Geocachers logo! Feel free to grab one and use as you please. This logo has been approved by our friends at Groundspeak.

sfbgeo4c.gif

If anyone needs a different size of this image, let me know. I have a high-res EPS file of it.

I also have created a store where you can buy products with this image on at

CafePress.com

If anyone can come up with a catchy quote or catchphrase for us, feel free to post one... I think it'd be cool to put on some of the products, or under the logo in general.

[This message was edited by CourtneyP on August 16, 2002 at 07:22 PM.]

Thanks for the kudos all. Funny... It doesn't feel any different to reach 100. But I guess I've seen enough caches now to see how placement should and shouldn't be done. So... be ready. I'll be placing one in the near future. I have five locations in mind and a variety of methods for obtaining them. Think climbing, ropes, pulleys, water crossings and large barn yard animals.

Yes, I'd be up for a cache hunt/hike/camp in Immigrant! Lets go!

CP: Great logo for SFGC. If you use your imagination you can see a pair of butt cheeks being penetrated. Perfect for SF. icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the kudos all. Funny... It doesn't feel any different to reach 100. But I guess I've seen enough caches now to see how placement should and shouldn't be done. So... be ready. I'll be placing one in the near future. I have five locations in mind and a variety of methods for obtaining them. Think climbing, ropes, pulleys, water crossings and large barn yard animals.

Yes, I'd be up for a cache hunt/hike/camp in Immigrant! Lets go!

CP: Great logo for SFGC. If you use your imagination you can see a pair of butt cheeks being penetrated. Perfect for SF. icon_eek.gif

I was liking the SF Bay Area logo, now all I see when I look at it a penetraed butt. Now look what you've done to my brain, I am very impressionable. I guess I will have to make my own Bay Area Logo for my cache pages. Thanks Rockman! lol, rofl

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb5:

I like it, but why are all the shirts white...and will there be tank tops available?

They don't give us any other option other than ash gray or white. Kinds limited, but hey, it works.

I'll add a tank top to the products, thanks for the feedback.

And Rockman, thanks for tainting pepper's mind. lol icon_razz.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyb5:

I like it, but why are all the shirts white...and will there be tank tops available?

They don't give us any other option other than ash gray or white. Kinds limited, but hey, it works.

I'll add a tank top to the products, thanks for the feedback.

And Rockman, thanks for tainting pepper's mind. lol icon_razz.gif

--

CourtneyP

TeamGeek

Yipee! I now have two out of my three children registered for school, the third will be registered tomorrow. Come on August 27th the FIRST DAY of SCHOOL. I'm gonna be a caching fool that day, and i'm ready. My last day of caching was Friday, and I am beside myself to out there on the trails, I can hear Las Trampas calling me from my house. 10-9-8-, Hippo, Superman, and Pokey I'm coming.

Pepper

oooo, a TB in Superman? I just might head over there tomorrow to begin the quest. It will take me multiple days though without a gps. Also have to re-hunt that dang Hippo. I hear the first set co-ords were off when I first tried. Yeah, that's the ticket. I hate the Hippo!

We're getting married this weekend at Lake Tahoe, and we set up a geocaching game for our guests to motivate them to explore the beautiful Tahoe area during the day.

The only problem is, we still need 1-2 more GPSr's (1 per team) to make our game work. Can anyone bear to part with their GPS for a few days? We know it'll be rough, but it's for a good cause (in a way). icon_biggrin.gif

Please email us through the site if you can help. We'll find some way to make it up to you afterward.

Thanks in advance!

Colleen and Andrew

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

We're getting married this weekend at Lake Tahoe, and we set up a geocaching game for our guests to motivate them to explore the beautiful Tahoe area during the day.

The only problem is, we still need 1-2 more GPSr's (1 per team) to make our game work. Can anyone bear to part with their GPS for a few days? We know it'll be rough, but it's for a good cause (in a way). icon_biggrin.gif

Please email us through the site if you can help. We'll find some way to make it up to you afterward.

Thanks in advance!

Colleen and Andrew

Dralasites: biological, not geological.

It was a funny situation, but then I do get to laught at myself on a daily basis. Wearing when I got hit on, just a standard pair of caching jeans, and a geocaching T-shirt, and not one stitch of makeup, verry, verry, scarry! I let the guy know if he needed change he could get it from the attendent that I was not a bank. That did not work, he asked me what I was doing and I told him I worked for a marketing company, and it was my job to count all the day old papers! That fool offered to help, after that I knew there was no getting rid of him and when he touched me on the shoulder that was it I was out of there! The way I was parked gave little room for me let along me and a stranger wanting to know personal stuff about me. Just another interesting day of caching for Pepper.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Got back today from my vacation in Maine. Boy, is it beautiful there! I got to do a few caches, including my #200, and they were spectacular. Deep-woods caches, caches with stunning views, and some historical caches. That's what summertime geocaching ought to be!

I put this one in Tracy with you in mind... I was going to leave a gift thinking you would be one of the firsts but I remembered you were out of town.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33279

Tell me if you're headed that way so I can leave it for you.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

....this is one I found on Wednesday the 28th in the Lake Berryessa area.

It is quite a steep hike. Fizzy...can you figure out the degree of incline? Car was at 300 feet, cache was at 800 feet and it was a .19 mile hike in. It felt like 75 degree incline.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22465

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I finally got out of the house today and went a caching. YEA! Las Trampas was my play ground which offered me one Multi(Superman by Chuguy) and one Physical(Resurrection of Pokey by Chuguy & Chugal). Just over five miles of hiking and of course with Chuguy involved I knew I would end up at the TOP. Wow it sure got hot up there and I was one tired pup when I got back to the car. Ok that's all just wanted to share my day with some one who would listen.

Fizzy yes I have the travel bug and I am willing to make a trade icon_biggrin.gif. I must say it is one heck of hike, but if it had been just a little cooler out side life would of been grand. I had a blast and Superman is a MUST do cache. Chuguy as usual out did himself.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

I finally got out of the house today and went a caching. YEA! Las Trampas was my play ground which offered me one Multi(Superman by Chuguy) and one Physical(Resurrection of Pokey by Chuguy & Chugal). Just over five miles of hiking and of course with Chuguy involved I knew I would end up at the TOP. Wow it sure got hot up there and I was one tired pup when I got back to the car. Ok that's all just wanted to share my day with some one who would listen.

Fizzy yes I have the travel bug and I am willing to make a trade icon_biggrin.gif. I must say it is one heck of hike, but if it had been just a little cooler out side life would of been grand. I had a blast and Superman is a MUST do cache. Chuguy as usual out did himself.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Only one cache left for Pepper to do in Las Trampas, Hippo Rescue. I guess that will be my next cache. Yesterday while I was out doing Superman and Pokey I had full intentions on placing another cache which I had in my backpack. I ended up hiking the whole way with that darn thing in my pack(heavy chunk of metal) and could not find a spot that was not to close to the others! Oh well maybe on the other side I just don't know. I would say I have a cache placement delima. icon_confused.gif "Why Not?" needs a home out in the wilderness, it's been hanging out the house far to long, what to do, what to do.

Have great day folks!

Pepper

Only one cache left for Pepper to do in Las Trampas, Hippo Rescue. I guess that will be my next cache. Yesterday while I was out doing Superman and Pokey I had full intentions on placing another cache which I had in my backpack. I ended up hiking the whole way with that darn thing in my pack(heavy chunk of metal) and could not find a spot that was not to close to the others! Oh well maybe on the other side I just don't know. I would say I have a cache placement delima. icon_confused.gif "Why Not?" needs a home out in the wilderness, it's been hanging out the house far to long, what to do, what to do.

Have great day folks!

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I ended up hiking the whole way with that darn thing in my pack(heavy chunk of metal) and could not find a spot that was not to close to the others! Oh well maybe on the other side I just don't know. I would say I have a cache placement delima. icon_confused.gif "Why Not?" needs a home out in the wilderness, it's been hanging out the house far to long, what to do, what to do.

Pepper,

Devil's Hole in Las Trampas is begging for a cache! icon_wink.gif I'd give it 4 stars for Terrain. Wait for a cool day and bring LOTS of water.

Pleasanton Ridge now only has one active cache (yours). Plenty of room there for more.

There is also plenty of room on in Morgan Terr. on the West side of Morgan Territory Road.

Just some thoughts...

-Mark.

Will cache for food

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I ended up hiking the whole way with that darn thing in my pack(heavy chunk of metal) and could not find a spot that was not to close to the others! Oh well maybe on the other side I just don't know. I would say I have a cache placement delima. icon_confused.gif "Why Not?" needs a home out in the wilderness, it's been hanging out the house far to long, what to do, what to do.

Pepper,

Devil's Hole in Las Trampas is begging for a cache! icon_wink.gif I'd give it 4 stars for Terrain. Wait for a cool day and bring LOTS of water.

Pleasanton Ridge now only has one active cache (yours). Plenty of room there for more.

There is also plenty of room on in Morgan Terr. on the West side of Morgan Territory Road.

Just some thoughts...

-Mark.

Will cache for food

I have been wondering about the San Leandro Watershed EBMUD Property. When I was up there the other day I noticed a sign on the gate entering into the Watershed that a permit is required to hike in that area. My question is how about a cache in that area? Ok or not? I figured not because there are none on that side of the ridge. Yes I guess your right Pleasanton Ridge needs me to get on up there great idea! Might as well place two while i'm up there.

Looking for feed back.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Did some Valley caching today with LuzOzzy and Fatthur while the husband was at yet another poker party. Well this time I did not sit around and watch the card playing (boring). Instead I played my game by a very cool, and refreshing river. Fun caches and even more fun trying to cross the river without falling down. Ended up doing five today and had BBQ cooked for me by husband at the of a very succesful day. Life is grand, aint it!

Pepper

One of the parts of Geocaching that I'm enjoying is seeing a lot of places around the area that I've never been in though I've lived in the east bay for all of my life.

To return the favor, I was thinking of placing a cache in Ardenwood Park, a place that I visit frequently and would like to tell others about. Of course, I'd have to get permission which I doubt that I'd get but it's worth a try.

However, since they charge $7-8 bucks to get in, it might be a better idea to place it ourside the fence. That way, people could log the cache without having to pay entry unless they wanted to visit inside, but it would get them there.

So, I'm asking if anyone has ever tried to get a cache inside Ardenwood or outside on Perry Farms property. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to approach the managers or owners on placing a cache? I'm sure that they would be worried about hoards of people trampling off-trail and tearing up the vegetation looking for treasure. FOlks?

Mickey M

Still new at this.

After reading about Pepper's travel bug rescue from the Superman cache, it made me think of our recent rescue of the Tennis Anyone? travel bug, that had been sitting up in the Sierra Azul Bike Parts cache placed by pedalman since MAY! Everyone that enjoys a good hike (or a good mountain bike trail) should give this cache a try. The four stars is because the elevation gain is about 2000 feet over 4 miles. We chose the Kennedy Road trailhead because Pedaler recently placed Sierra Azul "Relief" Spot half way up on this trail. If you decide to do these, pick a clear day if possible. You will be rewarded with some amazing views of the valley from 2600ft up. Pedaler's cache has the trailhead coords, which was nice. icon_smile.gif Note to hikers: weekdays might be better than weekends as this is a popular mountain bike trail and they can get going pretty fast. We encountered only two mountain bikers on our hike up and back down (2 hours up, 2 hours down).

We are planning our first cache somewhere else in Sierra Azul...

--Marky

After reading about Pepper's travel bug rescue from the Superman cache, it made me think of our recent rescue of the Tennis Anyone? travel bug, that had been sitting up in the Sierra Azul Bike Parts cache placed by pedalman since MAY! Everyone that enjoys a good hike (or a good mountain bike trail) should give this cache a try. The four stars is because the elevation gain is about 2000 feet over 4 miles. We chose the Kennedy Road trailhead because Pedaler recently placed Sierra Azul "Relief" Spot half way up on this trail. If you decide to do these, pick a clear day if possible. You will be rewarded with some amazing views of the valley from 2600ft up. Pedaler's cache has the trailhead coords, which was nice. icon_smile.gif Note to hikers: weekdays might be better than weekends as this is a popular mountain bike trail and they can get going pretty fast. We encountered only two mountain bikers on our hike up and back down (2 hours up, 2 hours down).

We are planning our first cache somewhere else in Sierra Azul...

--Marky

I've thought about putting a cache in the EBMUD watershed area. There is alot of acres just begging for a few caches. The only problem is you need a permit to hike there. The permit is not too hard to get but it takes planning. I think a cache there would encourage people to chance hiking there without the permit.

But maybe if you put the rules on the cache page and made any cacher prove they got a permit, it might work...

-Mark.

Will cache for food