SF Bay Area geocachers

Too funny! I guess I should have run a search to see if there were any other caches with the same name. This cache is in a similar location in Dublin. I saw the word "Pioneer" on a sign and I remember reading the book by Willa Cather with the same title.

I'm going to be caching in and around Sonora, possibly Pinecrest, with my dad on Saturday. If I have time I'll check out your cache in San Andreas.

-Mark.

Will cache for food

.....but since a cache has the placer's name in it as well as the cache name, it allows for seemingly duplicate cache names to be used. Look up just Pioneers and see what comes up. As I recall there are half a dozen or more.

Look up Superman too.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Can someone go out to see if this cache is accessable? Ron tried to get this one on Friday and said it was jammed. I need to figure out if I need to temporarily disable this one or maybe even archive it. I drove right past it friday but didn't know there was a problem with it until this morning.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

....think it through. The people who maintain your Zebra cache site for their own purposes will have fixed the problem within a day or so.

The question I posed to you in an email dealt with whether I could ligitimately log this as a find since I was there (and described all circumstances to you in the email).

I'm sure the mechanical aspects have been straightened out by now.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....think it through. The people who maintain your Zebra cache site for their own purposes will have fixed the problem within a day or so.

The question I posed to you in an email dealt with whether I could ligitimately log this as a find since I was there (and described all circumstances to you in the email).

I'm sure the mechanical aspects have been straightened out by now.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I thought I already email you.

yeah, go ahead and log it.

When I first placed the cache, 3 or 4 bins at the end were not being used. If the bin cache was broken I assumed they'd switch the paper to an unused bin and abandon the jammed bin.

george

george

5867_200.gif

hmmm I should change the name of my new cache to broken window. Let me explaine, yesterday I was restless so I decided to place a new cache, and find a cache. I had a park picked out where there were NO caches placed yet (Tassajara Creek Regional Park). I get as close as a fence gate blocking the road to the park. The trail leading up the park was also fenced off and locked? Still confused about that and I will be calling EBRP to find out what the deal is with that situation. So I head out to Morgan Territory to do Ron's Green Briefcase, it's 2:30 in the afternoon and the wind is howling which is a good thing I knew I would stay cool, important for me when I take long hikes. I loaded up the back pack with my new cache and take off. I find Green Briefcase in a round about way and take off to place Copper Top. I wandered off over a mile and half from Rons's cache I decided to place mine. I did, then headed back for the car. Ok it is really starting to get cold and the wind has really picked up now less than a mile to go and I would be back at the car and warm. NO it did not work like that for me NO KEYS! I had locked them in the car, the cell phone did not work out there and nobody was around, and no cloths hanger. Grrrrr! After trying bits and peices of wire I found laying around to get in nothing was working. Alas somebody comes down on there bikes the handed me part of his hitch and said try this. I did, and with my eyes closed I slung it at the back car window and viola I was in. That's it ya'll my eventful day in Morgan Territory.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

.....now may be the time to get one of those credit car keys. AAA makes one free for members and I'm sure they're available elsewhere.

I always carry my ID (and money) with me when hiking, and that means the spare car key goes along as well.

These keys are a bit better than the magnetic key holders that go in a wheel well since car thieves tend to look for those now....besides those magnetic key holders are good cache containers ! icon_wink.gif

Ron

.....now may be the time to get one of those credit car keys. AAA makes one free for members and I'm sure they're available elsewhere.

I always carry my ID (and money) with me when hiking, and that means the spare car key goes along as well.

These keys are a bit better than the magnetic key holders that go in a wheel well since car thieves tend to look for those now....besides those magnetic key holders are good cache containers ! icon_wink.gif

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

I slung it at the back car window and viola I was in. That's it ya'll my eventful day in Morgan Territory.

Pepper

Pep, that's too bad you had to go that route. I guess you didn't know but the Morgan Territory's Ranger Residence is only a 5 minute walk from the parking lot. Nice people there. I'm sure they would of helped or at the least let you call somebody.

We went down to Monterey this weekend for my voice lesson with a Big Teacher (my voice teacher's teacher). I did a couple of caches on the way down, including leaving a new one in Gilroy at the Outlet Malls that we always have to visit. icon_rolleyes.gif

When I got to Monterey, I discovered that, for whatever reason, my Palmable Geocaching pages for Monterey hadn't loaded. So I had waypoints but no cache descriptions.

Nonetheless, I got 4 out of 6 I tried. And one of the 2 I missed turns out to be buried under several inches of sand, which makes it kinda hard to find without the clue. I think I looked in the right place for the other, but I didn't see it.

The good news is that apparently I sang well enough that the Big Teacher wants me back in a few weeks, so I'll do some more down there then! icon_biggrin.gif

We went down to Monterey this weekend for my voice lesson with a Big Teacher (my voice teacher's teacher). I did a couple of caches on the way down, including leaving a new one in Gilroy at the Outlet Malls that we always have to visit. icon_rolleyes.gif

When I got to Monterey, I discovered that, for whatever reason, my Palmable Geocaching pages for Monterey hadn't loaded. So I had waypoints but no cache descriptions.

Nonetheless, I got 4 out of 6 I tried. And one of the 2 I missed turns out to be buried under several inches of sand, which makes it kinda hard to find without the clue. I think I looked in the right place for the other, but I didn't see it.

The good news is that apparently I sang well enough that the Big Teacher wants me back in a few weeks, so I'll do some more down there then! icon_biggrin.gif

....I have had the palm device problem several times.

My solution has been to delete the pathetique link from my Avantgo list, then reinstall it using the wizard. I set the byte size to 500 and the links to 2.

The byte size seems to do the trick. If the link you are using contains a lot of pages, this size should accomodate them.

Once in a while I still will have the problem of the list of caches showing, but then when clicking on a cache, I get a "page not available" message.

Other times the page will come up, but then the hint will not come up.

I think the 500 and 2 setting takes care of all of this, but we'll see.

Finally, I think I will now take the opportunity to check 5 or so (randomly) before I leave the house to see if everything shows up.

I would have found Pepper's MiniPep had my Prism been up to snuff, but as you say, depending on conditions at a site, it's sometimes impossible to begin to guess where to look...sand being the best example.

Also when I went looking for your Centennial Curse cache, I didn't have a clue that it was not a physical cache, so I was glad I took pics that provided the answers I needed. The working Prism would have solved the dilemma.

Ron

I changed the personalized indexes (the ones that start with user-) a few weeks ago so that they have 150 caches in them, instead of 100. So some people may find that they haven't allocated enough space for the index. Sorry, I should have announced this.

The symptoms of not having enough space allocated is (usually) missing hints, since AvantGo grabs the hints last.

Also, each Palmable cache page has a list of "nearby caches" -- if those nearby caches are not on your index page, AvantGo will still grab them, but will not include the hints. If you tend to follow links from the individual cache pages, you might end up on a page that is hintless.

It's also possible (as Fizzy found) for AvantGo to fail the sync entirely, for one reason or another. Check your index before you go on a trip! Ron's "check five at random" is a good idea, but for myself I usually just make sure the index is there, make sure the last cache on the list is there, and make sure that its hint is there.

You might also consider trying iSilo or Plucker instead of AvantGo for doing the sync. Those programs access my website directly, and so there's one fewer point of failure.

Also, I'd advise everyone who is using the Palmable Geocaching pages to have a look at the new Pocket Query stuff. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue running the Palmable pages.

quote:
Originally posted by blscearce:

I'd advise everyone who is using the Palmable Geocaching pages to have a look at the new Pocket Query stuff. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue running the Palmable pages.

Oh, no! Your Palmable pages are vastlysuperior to the Pocket Queries. I don't understand why Jeremy chose the path he did for those. It seems as if many people are having big troubles with the reader.

....cute sounding name, but like others, I have some problems with it.

I think the query area itself gives you every opportunity for narrowing or widening a search, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I end up with a library item that might include 300 "pages" and I have trouble navigating them.

If I use the pocket query search (or find or whatever it's called) I sometimes don't get hits even though I KNOW the word is somewhere in all those pages.

I have also used the R. Schoofield clipper which I like, but it takes a bit more to get them down to the palm device and it would be unwieldy to do it for ALL the possible caches that come up either in Brian's indices or the pocket query stuff.

Thanks Brian for the tip just to look at the last one to see if it works....that makes sense !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by blscearce:

Also, I'd advise everyone who is using the Palmable Geocaching pages to have a look at the new Pocket Query stuff. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to continue running the Palmable pages.

I really enjoy your pages better than the ebook format given by geocaching.com. I tried them once and I wasn't happy. I might give them another shot but at this point I don't really want to change since your pages get it covered. Especially the nearest caches listed on the bottom of each cache page. That feature alone 10 times better than the ebook. As long as you can keep your stuff running I'll be using it, but if one day you have to stop, I'll survive, but I'll miss it.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Oh, no! Your Palmable pages are _vastly_superior to the Pocket Queries. I don't understand why Jeremy chose the path he did for those. It seems as if many people are having big troubles with the reader.

Here, here! I couldn't agree more! I used the Pocket Queries for about a day - iSilo and your pages win hands down. Please don't remove them.

Perhaps Geocaching would/could take your really nice format and host a second set of pages for the caches that are in that format. Then they could have an optional format for the pocket queries be just the index page, with links to those 'reduced' pages. This would be ideal in my mind.

Jeremy... are you listening???

....is a winner, no doubt.

In fairness to Jeremy, his has potential too, but it isn't as crisp at this time as Brian's.

My understanding...and it might be incorrect...is that Brian may SOMEDAY not be able to access Jeremy's server where the information is pulled from.

If that is the case, it will be too bad, but as George said (either in this forum or the central valley cachers forum, we'll all survive and perhaps some improvements will be made to Pocket Queries as a result of the input on the forums.

And MAYBE both will co-exist.

Ron

Hi all well the broken window saga is about to come to a close(no pun intended). This AM the window fixer guy is supposed to be here to work his magic. I also have a spare key in my geocaching gear, hopefuly that will take care of the problem, provided I don't leave the back pack in the car doing a quickie. Looking forward to the Vasona Park Picnic see ya'll there.

Pepper

Woke up in the middle of the night, and on auto pilot I booted up the puter and did search viola! A cache sooo close to the house I could not suppress the addiction.

Troy the boy and I took off for a 3:00AM cache adventure, wow that was fun and of course Troy found it first. Well it is now 4:34AM I guess I will take a nap.

Pepper

I left the car unlocked on this quickie!

not a good combination, and I sure found that out after doing a five something mile hike at Broines. I did manage to bag all four caches on that side of the park only after going through three 24oz bottles of water. Wow it got hot on me around noon, but by then I was on the down side thank goodness. Sunday was a stay home and recuperate on the couch day. Monday morning I hit the trails at 6:00AM and managed to be FTF to a new cache out at Del Valle. Ohhh Fizzy where are you?

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Ohhh Fizzy where are you?

At 6:00 in the morning? In bed, natch!

Jimswim and I went for a little swim in Del Valle this morning and did maintenance on Left Bank. You'll be happy to hear that we replaced the container with an ammo box.

I'll have to do Gateway later.

When are you going to do Quarter Turn?

lets see, two more planed for today. I think tomorrow sounds like a good day that one.

I rather liked Jim's red container for Left Bank, oh well i'm sure the ammo can will need less up keep. I just noticed the other day you two have one at Lake Berryessa. That one will have to wait till our camping trip, but i'll get it(by boat)!

Pepper

well SF Bay Area cachers where are ya'll, and what ya been up to. Trying to keep this thread alive is not easy. I guess I'll just hang out over in the CVC thread. Come on folks be nice, and share some caching News, Stories, new posts or even a joke would do.

Pepper

Hey Pepper,

It's been awfully hot over in the valley to do many caches this way. George and I made an evening trip to your neck of the woods the other night and George got bit by some viscious bug. It really got him good.

I was thinking about your key problem, why don't you attach a key to your gps via lanyard or ring. That way your safe in the event you don't take your backpack. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

5867_200.gif

Hey Pepper,

It's been awfully hot over in the valley to do many caches this way. George and I made an evening trip to your neck of the woods the other night and George got bit by some viscious bug. It really got him good.

I was thinking about your key problem, why don't you attach a key to your gps via lanyard or ring. That way your safe in the event you don't take your backpack. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

5867_200.gif

I don't know why the Bay Area people are being so quiet.

I am still getting over the poison oak from my next-to-last Central Valley caching expedition. It's been more than 2 weeks. I think it was so bad because the thorns poked the poison oak deep under the skin.

I'm not sure I will go back to that cache.

I've been thinking about doing IQ Test #3. But I can't put it out until Pepper does IQ Test #2. icon_biggrin.gif

(just kidding, Pepper!)

Oh -- and if I manage to get up early enough tomorrow, I think I'll go do Copper Top.

I don't know why the Bay Area people are being so quiet.

I am still getting over the poison oak from my next-to-last Central Valley caching expedition. It's been more than 2 weeks. I think it was so bad because the thorns poked the poison oak deep under the skin.

I'm not sure I will go back to that cache.

I've been thinking about doing IQ Test #3. But I can't put it out until Pepper does IQ Test #2. icon_biggrin.gif

(just kidding, Pepper!)

Oh -- and if I manage to get up early enough tomorrow, I think I'll go do Copper Top.

Hey guys hows it going, I have noticed this thread being kinda quiet lately too. Not much new with me for the most part, I hooked up with another cacher and we have been caching alot lately. Finally got a chance to get some out of the bay area..That was cool. Got 5 up on Truckee last weekend. My wife thinks im insane.

In the next couple of weeks were gonna be placing an aqua cache. finally found a container that will work. Anyway, just thought i would chime in.

Any of ya going to the picnic this weekend? If so see ya there

Johnnyb

Hey, I'm here. I just got back from a geocacheingpaloosa trip. Went up to Truckee on Sunday afternoon to hit Chuguy's What Lola Wants... cache for my #100. That was a fun one. Got to the cache site at 7:00pm and still had to hike all the way back out before dark. I spent Monday caching in the Tahoe area. Had an interesting encounter with a bear that night while camping. Tuesday continued in the Tahoe/Reno area. Totally dug Captain Nemo's Lookout cache. Reno caches were problematic for me because of all the new development around the city and outdated topos. Got pretty frustrating so I just came back hitting some along I-80. I haven't tallied my finds yet but I think I nabbed about 20. Not too good considering I bought along 50 topo printouts. Probably had 10 DNF's and the rest I passed on from being cached out. I must of hiked 15 miles/day each day. Not to mention the driving. I'm beat.

I get excited over a 5 to 6 mile hike. Being out of shape is tough when your as addicted as I am. I'm getting there, I remember when I started 1/2 a mile would kill me I thought, but i'm still alive and almost 35lbs lighter. Gotta love this geocaching stuff. Anybody got any inside info on when the Rino's are gonna be ready for purchase?

I need some Rino's in my life.

Pepper

Congratulations to Rockman on his 100th cache! I'm at 99 and was also considering one of Chuguy's caches for my 100th.

I had a couple of beers with Chuguy last night. He just got back from a backpacking trip to the Gem cache in the Emigrant Wilderness. He and Chugal were FTF for a cache that was over a year old.

Pepper: What's a Rino?

Mark.

Will cache for food

118 caches, and no GPS that is amazing. Those topo maps just confuse me more, and I all ready confused enough. I get a good laugh at myself daily while i'm out geocaching. I think it's a good thing I cache alone. Im surprised I have found as many as I have, to bad ya'll couln't be a fly a wall one day and see me in action, it's pruddy funny.

Pepper

Front Page

http://www.sportsflea.com/cgi-bin/snapshot/merc/front/page1a.cgi

Who is that on the front cover?

The article

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/3867564.htm

Looks like geocaching makes the front page in the bay. I wish I knew who they were talking about int he article. I mostly know online names and not the 'real' names.

george

5867_200.gif

Ok, I’ll chime in here and would also like to congratulate Rockman on his 100th find. Hats off to you Mr. Topo…quite a feat w/o using a GPSr. Like Mark had mentioned, we were up in Emigrant Wilderness and were FTF on the Gem cache (GC1183). What a beautiful area and would highly recommend it to others. Rockman’s been there and I’m sure he would agree. When I get time I plan on posting more photos of the trip on our web site. We spent 3days/2nites on the trail and did about 25 miles total. Scoutin’ Sam had a blast chasing, and fortunately never catching, all the chipmunks. He probably did about 30+ miles. Very few people up there and we practically had the dusty trails and lakes all to ourselves the entire time. While we were there we also hid 2 more caches along the trail, so now you can have a “3fer” to go after if your into quantity instead of quality. I hope to post them this week so there’s still time to go for it before the storms start moving in. September’s the time to go since the weather is ideal and there are very few mosquitoes. Plus there are no stickers or poison oak! It might also be fun to plan a “group caching expedition” with “FTF Pepper” leading the way. You go girl!

I've been most of the way to gem cache but it was years ago. I've not been past piute medow. I had planned on doing it with another cacher this summer but he's cut down on a lot of his activity.

Maybe I can get up there around labor day. Especially if it's a 3'fer instead of the single.

george

5867_200.gif

Count me in.

I just logged my 100th cache today. I redeemed myself on Pepper's You've Got Mail cache. I couldn't find it the first time and almost didn't this time. I did it on my lunch hour and am now a mess (more so than usual).

-Mark.

Will cache for food

The first cache we placed (Ribbit) is nearly 5 miles in from the trailhead. This would make a good dayhike. The Gem cache is 9.5 miles in and the last cache (Log It)is close to 13 miles in at Wood Lake. That's about 26 miles RT if you go for the last one. To make it enjoyable and to do it comfortably would require 2 nites on the trail. I would suggest hiking to Ribbit cache and have lunch and then to Piute Lake(7+ miles) and make base camp. The following day do the 7 mile loop (fanny back only) to get the Gem and Log It cache and return to base for the evening. Next day hike on out. Simple as that.