SF Bay Area geocachers

I just get a kick out of reading ya'lls posts and keeping up with whats going on with fellow cachers. I am willing to admit Nothing but...knives has beat me so far. My son(Troy) has given me one of his knives to trade for him once I find the cache. Twice I have come home empty handed, but one day I will succeed (maybe) if not oh well still had fun trying. Looking forward to meeting you and the others Saturday if I can get away from the poker party.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

P.S. Ron I am not the one that's keeping up with the tupperware count...that would be you, right?

Horizontals where it's at!

Suffer, I suffered enough yesterday at Cull Tech and still managed to be FTF. The placement of Quarterback would of made me suffer much more had I not had my boy with me. Good try Fizzy! FTF again.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

.....me count Tupperware? Nah...you must be thinking of George.

Not only will you someday find the Knives cache, if you meet me and continue to read our forum stuff, you'll get to know my sense of humor. I know you've met George already...you survived, so you are tough enough for CVC geocaching.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCrickets:

Hello, If there is any one out their that likes Baseball this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3277 has a Mark McGwire rookie

card inside.

Umm... you do know that nobody has seen that cache since November of last year, right? And that among those who failed to find it were some pretty experienced cachers?

Is there something you want to tell us?

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on July 26, 2002 at 07:26 AM.]

....to geocaching !

You've got one down and 20K plus to go.

After you've found (and hopefully placed) some in the bay area, come see us in the central valley (Modesto, Stockton, Patterson) where the cachers are friendly, but the cache placements and clues will sometimes leave you wondering..."Why do I put myself through this?"

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Well it's a darn shame I won't be in town tomorrow. My brain will be frying in Manteca at a poker party, and visiting the CVC BBQ.

Well, you still have time to figure it out tonight and then stop by and grab it on your way to Manteca!

icon_wink.gif

I am soooo evil..... icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Well it's a darn shame I won't be in town tomorrow. My brain will be frying in Manteca at a poker party, and visiting the CVC BBQ.

Well, you still have time to figure it out tonight and then stop by and grab it on your way to Manteca!

icon_wink.gif

I am soooo evil..... icon_biggrin.gif

Lets see if I figured it out.... I'ts about 7:20 and I'm heading out the door. I'm going to hit this one first then the Patteson Pass one. I should be at the math cache in about an hour.

Anyone want to meet me out there. You'd have to figure the coordinates out first.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:

Hello, If there is any one out their that likes Baseball this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3277 has a Mark McGwire rookie

card inside.

Umm... you _do_ know that nobody has seen that cache since November of last year, right? And that among those who failed to find it were some pretty experienced cachers?

On May 12th the cache was checked and it was still there. Go get them if you think you are able. icon_smile.gif

Richard

[This message was edited by GeoCrickets on July 26, 2002 at 09:24 PM.]

quote:

quote:

card inside.

Umm... you _do_ know that nobody has seen that cache since November of last year, right? And that among those who failed to find it were some pretty experienced cachers?

On May 12th the cache was checked and it was still there. Go get them if you think you are able. icon_smile.gif

Richard

[This message was edited by GeoCrickets on July 26, 2002 at 09:24 PM.]

Well, I'm pretty sure I was in the right area but I must have not carried out a decimal far enough and rounded enough to throw me off.

I was zeroing out across the street from a park in Livermore so I have to assume the cache is in the park and not in someone's back yard.

I did some looking around to see if I could get lucky but I didn't find it.

Time to double check my numbers.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Well, I'm pretty sure I was in the right area but I must have not carried out a decimal far enough and rounded enough to throw me off.

I wish I could say that George screwed up, but he didn't. As far as I can tell, he never does. We found an interesting artifact of UTM over the distances involved.

I modified the cache page accordingly. None of the points change; I just specify the method for calculating things.

Howdy y'all! I'm not much of forum user but I decided to drop in and say "Hola". I haven't been out much cachin' at all lately. My interest in geocaching is currently on the downside but I hope to get out tomorrow and hit Mr. Vics "Balancing Rock" and maybe "Bo's Cache" in Las Trampas. I'm so close to find #100 it hurts. I'm almost afraid to reach my first milestone. Who has a good suggestion my #100. I want a toughie. A real physical toughie, like a high 4 or 5. None of those math related ones though. I'm like Ron in that sense. Oh, and no POISON OAK! That's all.

Hope all is swell,

Bill - Rockman

Hello Rockman, Pepper here I did this one a while back when it was still cool. The views from this cache were awsome. Check it out! Hello Allison GC5F2B by blscearce, there are only two in that park both by the same person.

Hope that's what your looking for the 100th find.

Pepper

quote:

I noticed that on May 12 the cache was completely buried, which is why people couldn't find it! I would expect that it is buried again by now.

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't find that one terribly appealing. Seriously, I don't enjoy caching where I feel as if I am expected to tear up the surroundings to find the cache. I know that wasn't PaulWhy's intent with this cache, but it appears to be the only way to find it, given what I've read.

Maybe I'm wrong; I know I will eventually try this one, but I am not terribly optimistic about finding it.

quote:

I noticed that on May 12 the cache was completely buried, which is why people couldn't find it! I would expect that it is buried again by now.

I don't know why, but for some reason I don't find that one terribly appealing. Seriously, I don't enjoy caching where I feel as if I am expected to tear up the surroundings to find the cache. I know that wasn't PaulWhy's intent with this cache, but it appears to be the only way to find it, given what I've read.

Maybe I'm wrong; I know I will eventually try this one, but I am not terribly optimistic about finding it.

....I know Rockman doesn't use a gps...he uses topo maps.

He looked for my Black Scarab (near Sandy Splash) and couldn't find it. His comment was the level terrain doesn't work well with his technique.

Let's see...both Dragofly and RSR are both in pretty much level terrain.

He wanted some 5's...those are 5's.

Ron

(on way to BBQ at LO/F)

quote:

This place is sand. When we found the cache it to had a lot of dust/sand on top of it. We did find it. You do not need to tear up the surrondings. The only thing out there is SAND and reeds..

Hope you go for it..

Richard

I seem to recall talking to PaulWhy a couple of months ago and that he said he had looked for Sandy Splash and couldn't find it ! I've had that experience myself (not finding my own)...but ultimately I was successful.

Caches seem to move after a few people have found them and mis-placed them when they were done.

In the case of Sandy Splash it is probably a case of just being covered with sand. I'll email PaulWhy and give him the address of this thread. See what he has to say.

Black Scarab is more in the open. Small rolling dunes about 2 to 3 feet high with short brush growing on them. I added a hint, but it is related to an item that might get moved by some overly-eager cachers throwing things around.

Ron

quote:

Life in SF but the only cache you found was in Utah. How does that happen?

No big mystery ... I was on vacation and the spa I was staying at offered a geocaching class. icon_smile.gif

I'm trying to find a GPS unit I can afford (currently unemployed) and I will definitely be adding to my tally as soon as possible.

quote:

Life in SF but the only cache you found was in Utah. How does that happen?

No big mystery ... I was on vacation and the spa I was staying at offered a geocaching class. icon_smile.gif

I'm trying to find a GPS unit I can afford (currently unemployed) and I will definitely be adding to my tally as soon as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by rluxemburg:

This just adds to the mystery.

Geocaching class? How did that work, and how did they promote the class? Right next to horseback riding and tennis lessons, the spa listed geocaching? Interesting.

I won't mention anything about the unemployed/vacation/spa aspect of the story.

As for an affordable gps. All you need is the little yellow etrex to get you started. Some veteran cachers rely mainly on that exact gps. Usually around $100 but I've heard tales of finding them cheaper. Donate blood a couple times and there you go.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rluxemburg:

Geocaching class? How did that work, and how did they promote the class? Right next to horseback riding and tennis lessons, the spa listed geocaching? Interesting.

As for an affordable gps. All you need is the little yellow etrex to get you started. Some veteran cachers rely mainly on that exact gps. Usually around $100 but I've heard tales of finding them cheaper. Donate blood a couple times and there you go.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:

Pretty much, yes. http://www.redmountainspa.com

They have a staff member who's into geocaching & he talked the spa into adding it to the class roster.

quote:

Two words: THANKS MOM.

quote:

Indeed. I'm working on it. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Pretty much, yes. http://www.redmountainspa.com

They have a staff member who's into geocaching & he talked the spa into adding it to the class roster.

quote:

Two words: THANKS MOM.

quote:

Indeed. I'm working on it. icon_smile.gif

Ron: Thanks for alerting me to this discussion.

Yes, I checked on Sandy Splash back in May, and I DID find it, however I had to dig down in the sand a few inches. This cache is in shifting sand dunes and was buried by natural forces. Any evidence of digging is, of course, covered up in a short amount of time. The baseball card was still there, and looks quite valuable to me.

I am worried the cache might be gone, as someone tried to find it the next day and was not successful. I have been planning to check on it again, but havent had the opportunity. I cant believe it got buried that fast. Perhaps I left it too exposed and it was stolen. Also, I tried to make the spoiler a dead givaway, please decode it before you start digging up a 20ft radius circle. It should narrow it down to a 1-2 foot area.

If anyone would like an update, watch the cache and I will post when I get the chance to check on it.

Veni, Vidi, Geocachi

Fizzy I am waiting on by back up plan(Clair) to get homw from vacation she emailed me yesterday from Orgen. When I hit 150 finds I will start placing caches again(fine 10 hide 1) that's how I plan to play the game. btw Thursday morning at 7AM myself and Troy(my boy) are meeting Hotfoot by the boat launch at Del Valle we are going to get the last two out there yours and Jim's. Can't wait should prove to be lots of fun. Troy wants to drive the boat! icon_eek.gif

Pepper

Fizzy I am waiting on by back up plan(Clair) to get homw from vacation she emailed me yesterday from Orgen. When I hit 150 finds I will start placing caches again(fine 10 hide 1) that's how I plan to play the game. btw Thursday morning at 7AM myself and Troy(my boy) are meeting Hotfoot by the boat launch at Del Valle we are going to get the last two out there yours and Jim's. Can't wait should prove to be lots of fun. Troy wants to drive the boat! icon_eek.gif

Pepper