SF Bay Area geocachers

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Number five can not be placed till dark, after it's placed later this evening I will post all the caches at the same time.

Noooooooo!

Sorry, just excited. Seriously, why not post the others now and leave that one for later? That way, you're more likely to get different FTF people for each cache.

Besides which, I am going to Shadow Cliffs to swim tonight and I'd like a chance to go get a new one afterwards!

All right Pepper!

Looking forward to the new caches, especially the one in Union City since that's where I work. I love lunch hour caches!

BTW Congratulations to Chuguy on the FTF on my new cache "Balancing Rock." Looks like I owe him a beer.

- Mark.

Will cache for food

Hi ya'll, ok four of the five have been posted now we just wait and see how long for approval. Speckels is my favorite and it has the FTF Gaters!

Headed out to place another one.

Good Luck, have fun, and bag some caches!

Way to go Chuguy I had a feeling you were on that mountain today.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 15, 2002 at 09:17 PM.]

Love that after-dark geocaching!

Got there, found it by flashlight, loved it. Great job, Pepper.

And here's the good news for the rest of the folks:

I didn't take the gaiters!

So I expect to see a mad dash for it tomorrow AM. The gaiters are very nice, but I just got a pair so I decided to leave them for the next.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Love that after-dark geocaching!

Got there, found it by flashlight, loved it. Great job, Pepper.

And here's the good news for the rest of the folks:

_I didn't take the gaiters!_

So I expect to see a mad dash for it tomorrow AM. The gaiters are very nice, but I just got a pair so I decided to leave them for the next.

Pepper here, I have temporarly arcived Speckles! It is in an unsafe area, will place it again on Thursday morning and then post it again. I will stock it again before placing it.

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Vic:

Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil, Evil.

Hey, Mr. Vic! I represent that statement.

I mean I resemble that comment.

Oh, heck, you know what I mean.

While I was pawing around fruitlessly for Some Like It Hot, I also found some interesting material for a cache container.

See, Pepper? You're an inspiration to us all! Even when you're not trying to be one.

Go for it fizzy I have a math back up plan in aciton!

Got ya today, but you were not the only one who got burned by Some like it hot! he, he, he

Pepper

Oh yes, I forgot to tell I am taking my big brother caching tomorrow, this should be fun.

quote:

Wow! I found this one very hard! Took me two tries and lots of sweat to find it. icon_confused.gif

But I'll get even. Even as I write, I am starting to prepare The Mother Of All Math-Based Caches. This one is gonna make Magic Trig look easy! icon_razz.gif

Well, it didn't take me two times but it did take a bit to find. I was within a few feet but I just could NOT see it.

I looked right a Speckles 3 or 4 times but due to shadows I did not realize what it was. I picked it up and delivered it to Pepper so she could rehide it on Thursday. Being archived did not prevent me from logging it as a find.

We also ended up with a FTF!!! Yeah buddy. Too bad Mr. Vic, maybe next time.

We were planning on going to Del Valle to rent a boat to find the other caches but it got late so we headed home. Ended up getting a call from a bunch of Valley Cachers heading to Fossile Find

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27537&decrypt=y

So I watched them crack rocks until I couldn't take it any more so I jumped in and found more than they did. There is a nice close up of one of them on the main page now. Like I said.. it's not trilobites or anything just some leaf imprints.

So I guess I still need to go back to Del Valle. I might go down Thursday with a fellow cacher(Mike Morris) who has a boat.

It paid to just wait for the caches to build up because I ended up with 9 finds today. No DNF's.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:

Wow! I found this one very hard! Took me two tries and lots of sweat to find it. icon_confused.gif

But I'll get even. Even as I write, I am starting to prepare The Mother Of All Math-Based Caches. This one is gonna make Magic Trig look easy! icon_razz.gif

Well, it didn't take me two times but it did take a bit to find. I was within a few feet but I just could NOT see it.

I looked right a Speckles 3 or 4 times but due to shadows I did not realize what it was. I picked it up and delivered it to Pepper so she could rehide it on Thursday. Being archived did not prevent me from logging it as a find.

We also ended up with a FTF!!! Yeah buddy. Too bad Mr. Vic, maybe next time.

We were planning on going to Del Valle to rent a boat to find the other caches but it got late so we headed home. Ended up getting a call from a bunch of Valley Cachers heading to Fossile Find

So I watched them crack rocks until I couldn't take it any more so I jumped in and found more than they did. There is a nice close up of one of them on the main page now. Like I said.. it's not trilobites or anything just some leaf imprints.

So I guess I still need to go back to Del Valle. I might go down Thursday with a fellow cacher(Mike Morris) who has a boat.

It paid to just wait for the caches to build up because I ended up with 9 finds today. No DNF's.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:

George the way point for the cache is GCDC2 look it up all your questons will be answered on the cache page.

So how did the caching go for you at a Del Valle, do tell.

Pepper

Ended up not going to Del Valle. We had an early dinner and ended up talking and eating so long that we decided to head home.

Try to go tomorrow to pick up the caches.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Hey George,

I think the picture, in fact I'm sure that picture is one of the ones that I found.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I have a Garmin and now I also have a Magellan Meridian. I can download waypoints via Easygps to the garmin but not the Magellan. I can download maps to the Magellan using MapSend through the com port but not Easygps.

Do I need to change any setting to get Easygps to work with the Magellan?

george

5867_200.gif

.....as I recall, when using magellan with the EasyGPS, you have to go to preferences (or options) and tell it a Magelllan. Easy enough and you probably have done that, BUT.....

you might also have to turn NMEA to OFF on your Magellan itself. This is what I have to do with my MAG 315.

See if that helps.

Ron (yep, 80 hidden/295 found)

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:

What happened to the 5th cache at lake Del Valle. The one that was at the southern Tip of the lake. Fizzy and Jim had just found it a couple weeks ago and now it's no longer listed.

It is probably still there; Jim and I ran into the owner of the private property upon which it is located, and had a slightly unpleasant interaction. We had to go down the hill, wait until he drove off, and sneak back up to grab the cache. Jim recommended that it be archived, which it was.

It's too bad, as it was a unique cache location. But private property is private property, and the cache didn't belong there.

quote:

Do I need to change any setting to get Easygps to work with the Magellan?

Two things: First get the latest version of easygps, since I think support for some magellan units was a recent addition.

Second, I think you need to change the preferences to use the magellan protocol, since maggies speak a different language than garmins.

-- Mitch

quote:

Hi ya'll well I did manage to get Speckles placed this morning with the help of my friend Claire. I am pleasd with the new spot and it will be much safer there.

Can we re-log it if we find it in the new location? Or does knowing what it looks like spoil it too much?

Over here in our neck of the woods, we always log caches if they are moved to a new location and we find them. If the cache is given entirely new coordinates, it seems that it is basically a new cache. Ron's "Nothing But Balls" was moved to a new location and open for the hunt again. There have been a few other moved and redone.

Heck, we have some folks over here who log their OWN caches as finds..hahahahahahahaha icon_eek.gif

Just thought I would toss my opinion in here..leaving now! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Over here in our neck of the woods, we always log caches if they are moved to a new location and we find them. If the cache is given entirely new coordinates, it seems that it is basically a new cache. Ron's "Nothing But Balls" was moved to a new location and open for the hunt again. There have been a few other moved and redone.

Heck, we have some folks over here who log their OWN caches as finds..hahahahahahahaha icon_eek.gif

Just thought I would toss my opinion in here..leaving now! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

quote:

quote:

What happened to the 5th cache at lake Del Valle. The one that was at the southern Tip of the lake. Fizzy and Jim had just found it a couple weeks ago and now it's no longer listed.

It is probably still there; Jim and I ran into the owner of the private property upon which it is located, and had a slightly unpleasant interaction. We had to go down the hill, wait until he drove off, and sneak back up to grab the cache. Jim recommended that it be archived, which it was.

It's too bad, as it was a unique cache location. But private property is private property, and the cache didn't belong there.

HOw in the world did this cache get here. It was so far on private property I was worried about getting shot. If it wasn't for the private property part, it'd be a nice hide. The big 'g' carved into the rock kind of gave it away.

Mike and I picked up the cache to get it off the private property and I'll hide it somewhere else.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Ron's "Nothing But Balls" was moved to a new location and open for the hunt again. There have been a few other moved and redone.

No one was able to find Balls after it was moved, but Ron did OK the refind.

quote:

Jaimee

I resemble that remark. It was under very special circumstances. Plus it was a locationless.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Ron's "Nothing But Balls" was moved to a new location and open for the hunt again. There have been a few other moved and redone.

No one was able to find Balls after it was moved, but Ron did OK the refind.

quote:

Jaimee

I resemble that remark. It was under very special circumstances. Plus it was a locationless.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:

Hi ya'll well I did manage to get Speckles placed this morning with the help of my friend Claire. I am pleasd with the new spot and it will be much safer there.

Pepper

Is it a whole new cache page or are you going to try to get it unarchived?

If the situation ever arises, where you have to pull a cache and move it to a new spot. You can just disable it instead of archiving it.

george

george

5867_200.gif

I sent an email into to Admin requesting the cache be unarchived, they worked there magic and within 30 minutes is was back in busness. Mr. J. Iryshe posted a note on the cache page. I do not know how to disable a cache. I do know how to archive a cache becaue there is a button for me to click on. Easy.

Pepper

quote:

I sent an email into to Admin requesting the cache be unarchived, they worked there magic and within 30 minutes is was back in busness. Mr. J. Iryshe posted a note on the cache page. I do not know how to disable a cache. I do know how to archive a cache becaue there is a button for me to click on. Easy.

Pepper

The disable feature is a check box not a button. But it's on the left side of the page.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:

Can we re-log it if we find it in the new location? Or does knowing what it looks like spoil it too much?

Not everybody plays by the same rules; so figure out what makes sense for yourself and resist comparing against others strictly on the basis of Find counts.

Actually, in this particular case, it might not be something you can answer until you find it the second time. If it's far enough away and knowing what it looks like isn't a significant factor, I probably wouldn't have a problem logging it a second time.

I'm off in my own little world. That's okay, people know me here.

quote:

I agree with you Kablooey, but I think in the instance of Speckles knowing what it looks like would be a factor. Although it is rather clever if i must say so my self.

Pepper

Since it's out in the open, knowing what it looks like helps... I looked at it 3 - 4 times without knowing. But I thought it was something else besides what it's disguised to be.

That's all I'm going to say.

george

5867_200.gif

Hi ya'll Pepper here, yesterday while out caching with Little Lila(8), we hit 100. She was so excited and wants to do more today. I have now taught how to enter Way Points what a huge help that is to me. While I drive she sits with the print outs and does her new job she loves it. So far I have found she only loses motivation when it's more than a mile walk or for what ever reason we can't find the cache. What a little trooper!

Pepper

quote:

Hi ya'll Pepper here, yesterday while out caching with Little Lila(8), we hit 100. She was so excited and wants to do more today. I have now taught how to enter Way Points what a huge help that is to me. While I drive she sits with the print outs and does her new job she loves it. So far I have found she only loses motivation when it's more than a mile walk or for what ever reason we can't find the cache. What a little trooper!

Pepper,

Way to go! We were so excited when we hit 100. Glad to see that you have a caching partner now. Why don't you download your way points using easy gps. It is quick and easy to do.

mary icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

5867_200.gif

quote:

Pepper,

Way to go! We were so excited when we hit 100. Glad to see that you have a caching partner now. Why don't you download your way points using easy gps. It is quick and easy to do.

mary icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

5867_200.gif

...did my NMEA tip for your Magellan solve your problem with EasyGPS?

Pepper....congrats on your 100th find ! I'm at 307 now and I think the next monumental event will be the #500.

There are so many caches now compared to when I started that knocking down 10 at a time is no problem. I used to drive for an hour to find 1 cache ! That's why I started placing 5 caches in a park like Round Valley, hoping others would start placing some too for me to find.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...did my NMEA tip for your Magellan solve your problem with EasyGPS?

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I just needed to choose the right gps from the preferences... I thought it would have been somewhere else in the options. After I found the section it was pretty easy.

george

5867_200.gif

Yipee! Today draws and end to the Sunol Wilderness caches for me, that is until someone else places one. Did Geo Ca$h today, and wow that was a 4 mile round trip hike. Did alot of cross country, but the end reward was awsome views, money, and a breath of fresh air. So what's up out there Bay Area folks?

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

whats going on over there in the Central Valley. Check out there thread the debt is worth reading about and the goings on between Ron and George!

What do you think?, or do you care just wondering.

Pepper

oh yes getting several more caches ready to place

....who would have thought that counting Tupperware could have been so interesting?

On another note, Nothing But....Knives still awaits you and in the weeks to come I think you'll find some other interesting caches and concepts here in the central valley.

Ron