SF Bay Area geocachers

I'd be down with that. Any day of the week works for me, any time. I'm pretty flexible. Maybe you should start a new topic for this?

Of course, the location sounds fine. I don't think I've ever heard of Harry's Hofbrau... sounds like smorgasboard of good stuff icon_wink.gif

If you need any help in coordinating the gathering, or anything else you need, just give me a shout.

I'd be down with that. Any day of the week works for me, any time. I'm pretty flexible. Maybe you should start a new topic for this?

Of course, the location sounds fine. I don't think I've ever heard of Harry's Hofbrau... sounds like smorgasboard of good stuff icon_wink.gif

If you need any help in coordinating the gathering, or anything else you need, just give me a shout.

Yes, Yes, Yes that would be great. I want to put some faces with the logs. Meet, greet, eat sounds like fun to me. I had to get out my trusty map to see where those two places were. I did not even what side of the Bay they were on or even if they were North or South. I go nowhere without my GPS I do use it for things other than geocaching.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Okay, it looks like there's enough interest to go ahead and do this icon_smile.gif Here's a strawman suggestion for the specifics:

Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City (this will have to change if there are any vegetarians in the group...the place pretty much caters to carnivores)

June 22 (Saturday), say around 7pm

What do you guys think?

Courtney, we're really bad at planning things like this, so please chime in if you've got ideas icon_smile.gif

Okay, it looks like there's enough interest to go ahead and do this icon_smile.gif Here's a strawman suggestion for the specifics:

Harry's Hofbrau in Redwood City (this will have to change if there are any vegetarians in the group...the place pretty much caters to carnivores)

June 22 (Saturday), say around 7pm

What do you guys think?

Courtney, we're really bad at planning things like this, so please chime in if you've got ideas icon_smile.gif

Hmm. I'm not a vegetarian, but I actually don't eat a lot of red meat. I was reading somewhere that Harry's has some good turkey or rotisserie something or another. But seeing that we *are* in the bay area, there are bound to be veggie heads in this group somewhere.

Take a quick gander at http://sfgate.com/eguide/food/ and do a search on San Mateo county for some places in and around Redwood City... give a shout if you guys see anything that would be more diverse.

TD, I'm willing to make a web page with general info about the gathering once we get the ball rolling.

Well folks when it's decided where we shall finally meet just post the cords so I can find the place. There's a new cahce out there posted by fixxymagic called Magic Trig (GC6148B) that I have been working on for two days now and still have not managed to get to final cache anybody any good with algebra out there? I have found the three satellite microcaches which proved to be a challange, but my daughter had fun because they were located at parks with play gound equipment. Somebody else out there up for the challange?

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

It's great to see so many people interested in getting together! We've been geocaching for a few months now and we haven't met any other geocachers in person... this will be a great chance for us to match the faces with the logs and forum posts.

Anyway, how does a picnic or BBQ in a park sound? We realize a lot of you have families with kids, so a playground would probably be more fun for the kids than a restaurant. And we've been having such beautiful weather lately! Everyone would probably bring their own food, or we could make it a potluck. I'll start looking into park locations...

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:

The other day, I took my family to the Yellowstone Park Cache, and was delighted to see that Pepper and Team Dralasites had been there before me. icon_cool.gif

I have Rufus the Red Travel Bug in my posession, and hope to send him on his way east soon (forgot to drop him at an East Bay cache I hit today).

Glad to see that our travel bug, Rufus, is finally getting somewhere! He was probably getting lonely sitting there in that cache for so long.

By the way, I posted a poll about the gathering we've been discussing. I emailed you recently about helping to organize it, but I'm not sure if you got it.

Colleen of Team Dralasites

quote:
Originally posted by CourtneyP:

The other day, I took my family to the Yellowstone Park Cache, and was delighted to see that Pepper and Team Dralasites had been there before me. icon_cool.gif

I have Rufus the Red Travel Bug in my posession, and hope to send him on his way east soon (forgot to drop him at an East Bay cache I hit today).

Glad to see that our travel bug, Rufus, is finally getting somewhere! He was probably getting lonely sitting there in that cache for so long.

By the way, I posted a poll about the gathering we've been discussing. I emailed you recently about helping to organize it, but I'm not sure if you got it.

Colleen of Team Dralasites

Since the central valley list is kind of dead right now I thought I'd share this with you folk.

Every holiday, for the past few months, I've been putting out a holiday cache. It's a one time, first to find, cache that is considered a gift from me to the cache community. Who ever finds it first gets to keep it. No log book, no trades. Just take the whole thing home and enjoy. Since it's father's day, the items are going to be geared toward that theme.

In the past, it's been found within 24 hours so it has become a sort of race. I'm probablly going to hide it tomorrow but I won't post it until thursday night. My last cache took a good day to approve so look for this one popping up friday.

Watch for it in the next few days....

keyword "father's day"

oh yeah, it'll be members only.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Every holiday, for the past few months, I've been putting out a holiday cache. It's a one time, first to find, cache that is considered a gift from me to the cache community.

What a great idea! I'm all over this one. Except that I am going to stay up all night Friday doing magic for Grad Night at the local high school. icon_eek.gif

hmm.. Maybe I will go out and get it at 5 AM Saturday morning. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Every holiday, for the past few months, I've been putting out a holiday cache. It's a one time, first to find, cache that is considered a gift from me to the cache community.

What a great idea! I'm all over this one. Except that I am going to stay up all night Friday doing magic for Grad Night at the local high school. icon_eek.gif

hmm.. Maybe I will go out and get it at 5 AM Saturday morning. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

the link won't work until the cache is approved but the cache has been placed.

let the race begin...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=25566

george

Good Job Fizzy on finding Father's Day first. If you haven't heard he otherwise had a bad day caching in Modesto. Not to disuade the bay area folk from caching in the area but there are a few cache around here that are REALLY hard to find.

Ripon Cache.... hard to find with thorns

What lies Beneith... bad GPS reception, with lots of choices for hides

Nothing But Balls ... tree cover.

george

quote:

The other one that looked hard to me was Ivy A-Plenty.

But I had a good time out there. I was a little scratched up from Ripon Cache, but I was still so happy about finding Fathers Day that I didn't let it get to me!

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:

The other one that looked hard to me was Ivy A-Plenty.

But I had a good time out there. I was a little scratched up from Ripon Cache, but I was still so happy about finding Fathers Day that I didn't let it get to me!

Actually, Ivy was suposed to be an easy cache to make up for What Lies Beneith. There are other ivy caches in Modesto that are hard though.

My personal contribution was Underdog. Which I intentionally made hard, but creativly hard.

george

Hello SF Bay Cachers I did "Stumped Again" today and it is worth the hike which if you take the right route is not that bad. A few weeks ago SuperGenius and I did "Stumped" and yes I was. My first attempt was by myself, the second attempt I took my husband, he found it right away. Doohhh!

Very Cool Cache it's a must do!

Team SuperGenius

Pepper

I think Ghost Town and Stumped were the two must do caches that people recomended. I got the chance to hit ghost town on Saturday and I was disapointed to find out that the second cache was missing. I didn't find out until I came home. I have most of the area caches loaded on my Handspring so I don't always read the cache pages and the logs until I get back to log a find.

Some one a while back asked if you could ride a bike out to ghost town. It's 2.5 miles and I rode my bike all the way. Even along the tracks but I'm not sure I would recomend it to many people unless they have a lot of MTB experience. I have a full-suspension mountain bike so it wasn't that bumpy along the tracks but there were sectons where the rocks are loose and you could take a header.

The biggest problem is that since it was an active railroad line, I was constantly nervous about watching for the train. The wind constantly tricked me into thinking it was the the train whistle. I had to constantly switch my consontration from steering to watching for the train and it was quite nerve racking. That train really shakes the ground when it passes.

So unless you have a lot of experience on the bike I would not recomend it.

Interesting place though.

george

Hea fizzy I saw him on the way to do Stupmed and could not get my camera out of the case fast enough to get a pic. I have been back to Las Trampas several times meaning to get a pic and have yet to see him again. I bet he's still around, and I'll get a pic one day. I have a folder labled Mom's safari pics and that Zevra needs to be added!

Pepper

Thanks Mr. Vic for the vote, to bad ya didn't bet BIG! BTW fizzy thanks for all the support:(. It was alot of fun and timing is everything on a cache like Enchanted. George is quite a guy and a Gentleman. The walking stick still remains at the cache site so go get it!

Pepper

Thanks Mr. Vic for the vote, to bad ya didn't bet BIG! BTW fizzy thanks for all the supporticon_frown.gif. It was alot of fun and timing is everything on a cache like Enchanted. George is quite a guy and a Gentleman. The walking stick still remains at the cache site so go get it!

Pepper

I sure wanted to be out hunting flags, it was driving me crazy having to stand on the side lines and watch. I could hardly wait for everyone to get back so I could participate in the Ground Zero game. I'm cool with second place (NOT)! Lots on good stuff going on in our day. Conversation, sun, food, games, water, children, families, dog friends, story telling, trashing out, and more. For all who missed it hope you can make the next event. See ya'll on the trails bright and early Sunday morning.

Team SuperGenius

Pepper