SF Bay Area geocachers

It's starting to warm up and I'm itching to get the boat out.  Any caches on the California Delta?  I found a bunch on Angel Island, but I was hoping to find some Closer to Antioch.

One that I enjoyed was Valve Open on Bradford Island. You can pay a few bucks and take the ferry, like I did, or use your own boat. I'm sure the owner of the Travel Bug I left there last October would appreciate it being set free.

A few miles up the Sacramento River is The Tomb Of A Million Souls and The Black Scarab, although the latter may have been lost to the shifting sands of time. These are actually accessible by overland route, but a boat can get you much closer.

Much further upstream is Coyote Island Cache but I think the nearby slough is more appropriate for a dingy than a boat capable of getting there from Antioch.

Lil Devil, thanks for the tips. I'll try these next weekend...oops mother's day. Unless I can convince the wife the day on the water is for her I'll have to try in a few weeks.

No, no, come back!  I don't want to go to two different sites to read messages.  Stay here, don't go, don't go....

Although it does require reading two sites, it is much nicer to have the multiple topic areas in our local forums on thegba.net. Try it, you'll like it. :anibad: Plus, the site itself is a wealth of great information about caching in the Bay Area.

--Marky

Frankly, the chatter in this thread was so disorganized that it was annoying.  The new site and it's forums allow people to carry on multiple small conversations rather than one huge one.  Go look.

I agree. I think the CVC needs their own site as well, that thread is way too active to follow, but there are valuable tidbits of info that I miss because I don't follow it. Maybe they should hire Lynn to set them up. :)

--Marky

Fizzy's off racking up caching mileage. Go Fizzy!!

Netherlands Antilles  Wednesday, May 18, 2005

fizzymagic found Pittig Ding (Traditional Cache)   

E 3662.5mi from your home coordinates.

I found the cache while on the island for one day; I was aboard the Disney Magic, which stopped here for the first time ever. After scuba diving, I talked a cab driver into dropping me off at Caribbean Cargo and returning in one hour. An hour later, I was there to be picked up, scratched and muddy but victorious! I'll write more details when I am back at home.

Maybe he can decrypt this for us when he gets home...

"Later in mijn eentje vanaf p2 de cache benaderd. Tot op 250 m gekomen.

Toen moest ik kiezen tussen door het meer of door de bush. Ik koos de bush. Wederom kansloos. Ernstig getwijfeld. Toch tot het dijkje kunnen komen (i.v.m. spoilers zal ik mijn oplossing niet verklappen hier, maar het was spectaculair te noemen).

Op de dijk eindeloos gezocht. Opgegeven. Geprobeerd om via de andere kant van de dijk P1 te bereiken. Kansloos voor de derde maal. Dan maar de hele weg terug. Aangezien ik langs de cache zou komen besloot ik niet nog een keer te gaan zoeken, maar wel goed te kijken. Van de andere kant blijkt dat je ineens ook andere routes over de dijk gaat lopen om de veelvoorkomende struiken, prikkel en cactussen te ontwijken. Zodoende struikelde ik bijna letterlijk over een plastic kistje. Alsnog kassa!

De terugweg was even spectaaculair als de heenweg, met het verschil dat ik nu niet meer hoefde na te denken, maar simpelweg mijn voetsporen te volgen...

Ik beschouw deze cache als, misschien wel, de zwaarste die ik ooit gedaan heb. Ik had een zeer voldaan gevoel na het vinden."

Edited by Muggle Finder

Maybe he can decrypt this for us when he gets home...

"Later in mijn eentje vanaf p2 de cache benaderd. Tot op 250 m gekomen.

Toen moest ik kiezen tussen door het meer of door de bush. Ik koos de bush. Wederom kansloos. Ernstig getwijfeld. Toch tot het dijkje kunnen komen (i.v.m. spoilers zal ik mijn oplossing niet verklappen hier, maar het was spectaculair te noemen).

Op de dijk eindeloos gezocht. Opgegeven. Geprobeerd om via de andere kant van de dijk P1 te bereiken. Kansloos voor de derde maal. Dan maar de hele weg terug. Aangezien ik langs de cache zou komen besloot ik niet nog een keer te gaan zoeken, maar wel goed te kijken. Van de andere kant blijkt dat je ineens ook andere routes over de dijk gaat lopen om de veelvoorkomende struiken, prikkel en cactussen te ontwijken. Zodoende struikelde ik bijna letterlijk over een plastic kistje. Alsnog kassa!

De terugweg was even spectaaculair als de heenweg, met het verschil dat ik nu niet meer hoefde na te denken, maar simpelweg mijn voetsporen te volgen...

Ik beschouw deze cache als, misschien wel, de zwaarste die ik ooit gedaan heb. Ik had een zeer voldaan gevoel na het vinden."

Here you go...

Later approached in my one as from p2 the cache. Reached on 250 m.. Then I had choose between by the lake or by the bush. I chose the bush. Again prospectless. Doubted seriously. Nevertheless the dijkje can reach (concerning spoilers I will not give away my solution here, but was call spectacular). Gezocht on the dike infinitely. Given up. Tried by means of the other side of the dike P1 reach. Prospectlessly for the third time. Then but complete gone. Since I will not decide will zoeken along the cache come I again, but well to look at. Of the other side appears that you all of a sudden routes also other concern the dike run the veelvoorkomende shrubs, pivot and avoid cactuses. Thereby I almost litteral concerning a plastic crate stumbled. Still pay-desk! The way back was even spectaaculair as the heenweg, with the difference think which I now no longer had, but simply my of following foot tracks... I consider these cache as, perhaps heaviest which I have ever done. I had very satisfied a feeling after finding.

Greetings SF'ers from a SD-er,

Hey, I didn't go to the new forum - which looks nice, mainly cause it wanted registration....and for my purpose registering at yet another site is not my thing (no offense intended)

But this thread can suffice.

I have to be in SF mid Feb for a conference and will be staying near cache GC15XK4.

Back in my home town in Australia, a few of my geobuds are having an event shortly thereafter and have made a request of me.

There is a lack of coins in AU and on my last trip home, I took several out with me.

Side issue: I had one couple drive for 5 days to come to our event just to see a Green Jeep.

I'm not heading home soon but have a "home cache" which I use as a SoCal portal. If you have a coin or TB needing a lift down under, I'm gonna try and hit the cache around Feb 19.

One other side issue: my AU cache is not huge so palm size TB's or coins only.

Many thanks. :unsure:

14 hours ago, bubblehead653 said:

Also is the a bay area cachers FB group?

Try https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaGeocachers/ or https://www.thegba.net/wordpress/

Geocachers of the Bay Area is a fairly active group...

14 hours ago, bubblehead653 said:

I'm considering Mission Unreasonable GC55MH9 for my 5000th and wondered if anyone would like to join me on the quest?

Not able to join you on this - though it does look like an awesome cache to find!!  I'd suggest contacting the CO and/or other finders to see if you can hook up with them to do this.  Probably better to have someone along who has done this one before!!

Edited by CAVinoGal