SF Bay Area geocachers

you look at organizations like MIGO and wonder why a cacher dense area like this doesn't have something like that.

Because the cachers here are actually out caching as opposed to sitting at their computers building web sites :ph34r:

You know, I think there is a lot of truth to that! Must be those cold winters....

I'm not sure the cold weather actually slows them down too much, just as the rain here doesn't slow us down (much). I've been back in Michigan in the winter and like caching then. Tracks in the snow (when there is snow) are a big help. :ph34r: The cold doesn't bother me much.

What is the best place to buy an ammo box in the Los Altos/Palo Alto/Mountain View area?  That army surplus place on El Camino?  Hubby wants to pick one up for random storage purposes but doesn't know the cheapest place to find 'em.  Thanks!

Mt View Surplus on El Camino is a good source.

1299 El Camino

MT View 94040

650-969-2381

I've been looking around at other groups websites since BADGES is working on getting one set up. I also sent a question around to the BADGES team basically along the lines of "who are we", and I thought I would open that question up to everyone else.

...Do we NEED something more?...Thoughts?

I think a loose knit organization would be good. A calendar, some PR info, where to get help for newbies, etc. as WoW suggested would be useful. Perhaps, SOME of what the MIGO site does could be replicated. And at some point it might be useful to consider adding forums for discussions. Instead of one continuous thread like this one, the different topics under discussion would have their own threads. It is much easier to go back and find a discussion or previous information.

You can't do everything at once, but start out with a few key, important items and then add (or subtract) as you go. You might have folks rank what they would like to see most.

I think that it would be very useful to have a local group with a web site.

What is the best place to buy an ammo box in the Los Altos/Palo Alto/Mountain View area? That army surplus place on El Camino? Hubby wants to pick one up for random storage purposes but doesn't know the cheapest place to find 'em. Thanks!

Huh? There are other uses for ammo cans? I thought there were exclusively made for geocaching containers.

What is the best place to buy an ammo box in the Los Altos/Palo Alto/Mountain View area?  That army surplus place on El Camino?  Hubby wants to pick one up for random storage purposes but doesn't know the cheapest place to find 'em.  Thanks!

Huh? There are other uses for ammo cans? I thought there were exclusively made for geocaching containers.

Here's proof to how well they work too. This cache had collected DNF Logs for over two years...

SlideRule reports he found GeorgeandMary's Black Box. Way to go, San Diego! Talk about devotion to puzzle caching. Wow!! :huh::ph34r::( That's only the sixth time anyone's been able to find it and over two years since finder number five. Who's next?? :(

Here's his Find Log. Good reading. Especially if you're going to be the next to find! Funny that this cache has brought so many cachers to their knees. :D

Edited by Green Achers

Heh, depends on your perspective. He wanted a good container for storing all of his backpacking/climbing knives. Today we did a bunch of the Almaden Quicksilver caches, so every other cache he'd be "see, this is what I need for my knives". On the way home we stopped at the Surplus place in Mtn View and I kept saying "see, this is what makes a good cache." :huh:

What's the recommended procedure to follow when there have been several consecutive DNFs on a cache, no comments by the owner on the cache page, and the general opinion being expressed is that it is missing? Log a Needs Archived or email the owner or...

Searched for a couple in Briones that certainly qualify today.

On the subject of a local organization, I posed the question because I have mixed feelings as well. I am not fond of bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake... I'd rather be out caching! But I do see a couple of needs here that an organization might help fill.

We need to continue PR work with local parks and such. They respect organizations with large memberships.

We need to help newbies find their way around. We have lots of resources scattered about, a website and local organization can do a lot to help centralize info and get it to the right people.

As a newbe team ourselves, it would be great to have something local as we don't have the network yet to know how everything works. Often times in any type of activity, there evolves tier groups with the new people and their questions or lack of know how to and those that have done it so much they hate to teach.

Some kind of a local group thing, just like with events, trail adoption, or group activity would make it easy to quickly check on whats goin on.

What I can say to all the 'newbies' here is that you've joined a VERY good group of people here locally. There are definitely some 'elite' cachers (in terms of finds, NOT attitude).

Feel feel to post and ask your questions here, come to events, etc. You will more than enough peole willing to answer questions, point you to links, and just be willing to help out.

Welcome.

What's the recommended procedure to follow when there have been several consecutive DNFs on a cache, no comments by the owner on the cache page, and the general opinion being expressed is that it is missing? Log a Needs Archived or email the owner or...

Searched for a couple in Briones that certainly qualify today.

It's really a judgment call. If it were me, I would consider an email to the owner or do what I usually do which is to post a note to the cache page saying something like "There have been no finds on this one-star cache for 6 months, could the owner please confirm the status of this cache?" That gives a polite yet public nudge that will usually get a reply, often something like "I've been meaning to get out there to check on it but have been busy, I'll check soon."

I'll also go to the owner's profile page and see if they've logged in recently. If they haven't logged in for a few months - or years - and they don't reply to the status request note, it may be time to consider other options (like an archive request or adopting the cache) if all evidence points to it as having been abandoned and missing.

With my caches I look at the stats for those that have posted DNFs and consider the difficuty. If I see a DNF by someone with very few finds I am not going to check on the cache, (not to long ago some one with only one find post a note on one of my caches stating it was missing, someone else found later on) If the cache is one that is very hard to find as some of mine are or is very hard to get to I am not going to check the cache unless there are more than 2 or 3 DNFs by experianced cachers. I have made to many trips to check on caches that were not missing.

What's the recommended procedure to follow...

If it's gone long enough (a few months) I post an SBA. I sometimes do this without even wasting my time visiting the cache site. There are plenty of listings out there that were placed by people who geocached for a week, or a month, or even a year that are now orphans. Visit one of those cache pages and look for the bitty link that says "caches found by this user" and click on it. Most often you'll see a pattern of caching that ends abrubtly some time in the past. These missing and disabled caches litter the virtual landscape and need to be dealt with.

One thing to keep in mind is that DNFs are not seen by the reviewers - only SBAs are. A cache can accumulate DNFs forever. You have to post the SBA for Krypton or Hemlock (or whomever) to get involved. If it's gone missing for months I see no reason why they shouldn't be. It just doesn't - or shouldn't - take that long for an owner to go out and find out if their cache is ok and either fix it or post a note to the cache page.

Do we NEED something more?

What about other resources? Should newbies have a central spot to get info/FAQs/downloads?

Yes, and yes! I think it's shameful that the Bay Area, with its cache and cacher density, does not yet have an official representative group. A website will be great. But maybe we need to do MORE. :rolleyes:

On the subject of a local organization, I posed the question because I have mixed feelings as well. I am not fond of bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake... I'd rather be out caching! But I do see a couple of needs here that an organization might help fill.

We need to continue PR work with local parks and such. They respect organizations with large memberships.

We need to help newbies find their way around. We have lots of resources scattered about, a website and local organization can do a lot to help centralize info and get it to the right people.

A local website is a good place for out-of-town cachers to go to get the oriented.

We need a local calendar.

I DON'T think we need to do what a lot of the regional organizations do and duplicate much of this website. A local forum might be good, but no-one uses the one that is there now (yahoo) so I'm not sure if it would work.

I don't want to see something evolve with endless meetings and commitees, and no budgets and dues, but maybe there is something in between.

Very good points and ideas.

I think a website, maybe with forums, might be a good idea. Also -- have we considered having the local group be called something besides BADGES? Wasn't BADGES started as a dining/get-together organization? Maybe there could be an affiliated group (Silicon Valley Geocachers, for instance? or Bay Area Geocachers?) that deals with other stuff?

Just throwing out ideas. Let me know if I can help. I can do some web design as well.

Passed a park Saturday where the tree the cache was in is cut down and in pieces. I stopped and looked for the film canister, but i think it is gone, so i submitted a SBA notice.

It was TeamAlamo's Happy Birtyday Joe Spaz cache.

Edited by Wacka

A local website is a good place for out-of-town cachers to go to get the oriented.

I DON'T think we need to do what a lot of the regional organizations do and duplicate much of this website. A local forum might be good, but no-one uses the one that is there now (yahoo) so I'm not sure if it would work.

I don't want to see something evolve with endless meetings and commitees, and no budgets and dues, but maybe there is something in between.

I think a website, maybe with forums, might be a good idea. Also -- have we considered having the local group be called something besides BADGES? Wasn't BADGES started as a dining/get-together organization? Maybe there could be an affiliated group (Silicon Valley Geocachers, for instance? or Bay Area Geocachers?) that deals with other stuff?

Just throwing out ideas. Let me know if I can help. I can do some web design as well.

I think the website should be BAGS (Bay Area Geocaching Society), and have an emphisis on CITO. The bags fits in well with CITO, and we could even have our own CITO BAGS. :rolleyes:

--Marky

What's the recommended procedure to follow...

If it's gone long enough (a few months) I post an SBA. I sometimes do this without even wasting my time visiting the cache site. There are plenty of listings out there that were placed by people who geocached for a week, or a month, or even a year that are now orphans. Visit one of those cache pages and look for the bitty link that says "caches found by this user" and click on it. Most often you'll see a pattern of caching that ends abrubtly some time in the past. These missing and disabled caches litter the virtual landscape and need to be dealt with.

One thing to keep in mind is that DNFs are not seen by the reviewers - only SBAs are. A cache can accumulate DNFs forever. You have to post the SBA for Krypton or Hemlock (or whomever) to get involved. If it's gone missing for months I see no reason why they shouldn't be. It just doesn't - or shouldn't - take that long for an owner to go out and find out if their cache is ok and either fix it or post a note to the cache page.

KUDOS to Walruz for this suggestion Hemlock and I try to run a PQ on disabled caches and get them taken care of but this way is sometimes met with hostile responses from active cachers that have been to lazy to visit their caches and they don't like being reminded by reviewers. Some times the caching community has a better effect on this situation.

I think the website should be BAGS (Bay Area Geocaching Society), and have an emphisis on CITO. The bags fits in well with CITO, and we could even have our own CITO BAGS. :laughing:

--Marky

So where would we set the age limit before you become an "old BAG"?

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the all-too-rare nice day of weather tomorrow and going caching instead of to work. I was thinking of something low-key, scenic and with a moderate hike like Ardenwood Scrabble. That one seems to get good reviews in the logs If anyone is interested in joining me, please e-mail me through the Geocaching.com site.

I tried placing a cache on the Moon using precise lunar coords and got the shaft from the reviewer and Jeremy.

LOL! This reviewer note on it was a work of art. :ph34r:

I can't find the thread on it. Did you ever try to rebut those points?

Here is the Link to that Thread. I must admit that I didn't help my case by misreading the Cache on the Moon logs. I was pretty embarrassed, and I closed the thread before the flaming really got going. Here is the response I sent to Lactodorum. As I recall, he referred me to a reviewer named Hemlock, who archived it. Hmmmm.... :D

Herewith my reply:

>

> "An interesting cache and I agree it has sufficient WOW factor that,

all

> being equal, could qualify it for a Virtual cache. However I have a

few

> concerns that need to be addressed before I can "Approve" it."

>

> >>>OK, Shoot!

>

> "1) The co-ordinates supplied place the cache site in the middle of

the

> Democratic Republic of the Congo, about 120miles to the West of

Kisangor.

> My recollection of the event described places the cache site about

> miles away from here. Perhaps you could check this."

>

> >>>I attempted to place the coords in lunar DegDec, but the automated

> functions of the site only allow me to place Terran coords. See the

> "User's Website" link to confirm Lunar coords.

>

> "2) A vitual cache is only normally approved where a physical cache

would

> not be possible. In this case I suspect that there are plenty of rocks

> that could hide at least a small tupperware box. Also the chances of a

> casual passer by finding it are minimal."

>

> >>>Only problem with that is the low gravity and air pressure. I

think a

> tupperware, over time, might implode. Besides, we've left enough trash

up

> there.

>

> "3) I notice that the cache site is some way from your home. One of

the

> requirements for a cache are that you are able to maintain it, even

for a

> virtual. This is often done by other people on behalf of the cache

placer,

> possibly by relatives living nearby. Do you have family living close

by

> who can carry out this maintenance?"

>

> >>>Being a Virtual, and seeing as there is little degradation due to

low

> traffic, I think the cache will maintain nicely. If any finders notice

> some problems, I will ask my (less human) relatives to stop by on

their

> next bovine experimentation visit and clean things up.

>

> "4) You require a photograph of the finder at the cache site. In such

> cases it is usual to include a photograph of yourself at the same

site.

> Perhaps you could arrange this please."

>

> >>>I have uploaded the requested image to the listing.

>

> "5) As you know, no foodstuffs are allowed in caches. In this case,

the

> whole cache site could well consist of Green Cheese. This would be

against

> Geocaching.com policy so perhaps you could reassure me on this point."

>

> >>>Ha, ha! You Earthlings!

>

> I look forward to your response. Lactodorum

>

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the all-too-rare nice day of weather tomorrow and going caching instead of to work. I was thinking of something low-key, scenic and with a moderate hike like Ardenwood Scrabble. That one seems to get good reviews in the logs If anyone is interested in joining me, please e-mail me through the Geocaching.com site.

Hope you don't get crowded out by all of the people out there caching on the Cesar Chavez holiday! ha, ha.

(I'm just bitter because it's a City holiday and I'm stuck working anyway!) <_<

Hope you don't get crowded out by all of the people out there caching on the Cesar Chavez holiday! ha, ha.  (I'm just bitter because it's a City holiday and I'm stuck working anyway!)

Funny thing about the city holiday today. I was caching around near Camden and 85, and was feeling the effects of a Super Big Gulp that I'd had about 90 minutes before. I pulled into a fine city park and headed for the facilities, and found locked doors and a sign reading "All bathrooms in city parks are closed on 3/31 for the Cesar Chavez holiday." Needless to say, I was unamused. I assume the dozens of moms and kids nearby were unhappy about this as well.

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the all-too-rare nice day of weather tomorrow and going caching instead of to work.  I was thinking of something low-key, scenic and with a moderate hike like Ardenwood Scrabble.  That one seems to get good reviews in the logs  If anyone is interested in joining me, please e-mail me through the Geocaching.com site.

Hope you don't get crowded out by all of the people out there caching on the Cesar Chavez holiday! ha, ha.

(I'm just bitter because it's a City holiday and I'm stuck working anyway!) :lol:

Actually it wasn't crowded at all. I took The Rat up on his request for companionship and we had a very nice day out there, doing Ardenwood and Indian Mini-Montage. But I was a bit disappointed by Ardenwood, the abandoned houses in various stages of decay were rather depressing. The other series is set in a wonderful area, really enjoyed that one.

Pinnacles! We are going to visit the Pinnacles real soon. I am looking for cache ideas or at least a starting point so I can search. We will probably try to locate some on the way there/back.

If only there was a way to search by route. Find caches within 5 miles of the roads along my route. I guess I need a web crawler to download every .loc or .gpx file geocache from geocaching.com, convert and import them into my mapping software as a point of interest and then I could do it. Anyone have an extra web crawler and conversion tool already done :mad: ?

;)

I grew up in Monterey and live in San Jose and have yet to got o the Pinnacles. I have looked at their web site but somehow that does not count. So, now that I have a family and they happen to love to Geocache, I finally get to the Pinnacles and Geocache! Next up will be the Mystery Caves - I want the cool bumper sticker!

CC :mad:

I grew up in Monterey and live in San Jose and have yet to got o the Pinnacles. I have looked at their web site but somehow that does not count. So, now that I have a family and they happen to love to Geocache, I finally get to the Pinnacles and Geocache! Next up will be the Mystery Caves - I want the cool bumper sticker!

There are no physical caches in the Pinnacles since it's a National Park, but it would be a great spot for an Earthcache! Do a little homework before you go on the local geology and you could set up a nice one!

FYI if you've never been - the map shows roads approaching from both the West (via 101) and from the East (via 25). They do not meet. Most of the services and interesting stuff is on the East side, so be sure to approach the park from that side - via Hollister, if I recall.

You can hike from one side to the other via a number of trails - some rather strenuous, as I recall.

Let's see - should I weed the garden and plant new stuff in the yard tomorrow, or should I go to Pinnacles? Hmm. wunderground.com says Saturday is the better day of the weekend.

We were planning to go to Pinnacles last Sunday but the weather intervened, so we're planning to go this weekend or next. I have yet to go myself so it's overdue for me as well.

We will be going Saturday! I mapped 20 caches from home to the Pinnacles area.

Someone just gave me a Palm III. It is already loaded with CacheMate and 20 new caches! Now all I need is another GPS and I will be all set.

Joe

:mad:

FYI if you've never been - the map shows roads approaching from both the West (via 101) and from the East (via 25). They do not meet. Most of the services and interesting stuff is on the East side, so be sure to approach the park from that side - via Hollister, if I recall.

You can hike from one side to the other via a number of trails - some rather strenuous, as I recall.

Let's see - should I weed the garden and plant new stuff in the yard tomorrow, or should I go to Pinnacles? Hmm. wunderground.com says Saturday is the better day of the weekend.

I had planned to take the 101 -> 25 route not knowing any better. I did look at MS Streets and Trips which made it look like 25 is the route to take. We will be lucky to get in 3 miles of hiking, but plan to take the 1.7 route through one of the caves.

I have a lot of yard work to do but since tomorrow will be suchs a great day, I will put it off til Sunday.

Here's proof to how well they work too. This cache had collected DNF Logs for over two years...

SlideRule reports he found GeorgeandMary's Black Box. Way to go, San Diego! Talk about devotion to puzzle caching. Wow!! :lol::P:) That's only the sixth time anyone's been able to find it and over two years since finder number five. Who's next?? :lol:

Here's his Find Log. Good reading. Especially if you're going to be the next to find! Funny that this cache has brought so many cachers to their knees. :D

I am going to go after this one. All I have to do is work out a couple more things. For instance, the distance parts a and b traveled from the explosion coordinates and what the explosion coordinates mean. At least I have converted the speed to KMH and the Altitude to meters and how fast they descended. Other than that, it should be a breeze.

CC :lol:

I just posted (in a seperate thread) a reply I received from the general manager of the East Park Parks explaining that staff has been directed not to permit geocaching in park lands until a formal policy can be developed. He states that the development of a policy is being planned by park officials, and that he would welcome any information about what other park district and open space agencies have done.

I think it is important to contact the East Bay district officials (including the representatives for specific East Bay areas. The parks web site has appropriate address and contact information. I also believe it is important to provide the Park with information about how geocaching has been successfully implemented into land management plans.

If those who have that kind of information can make it available to park officials, it would be helpful. In the meantime, if you enjoy geocaching in the East Bay, it is important to make your voice heard.

I would be glad to send a pdf copy of the letter to anyone who wants to see it.

I saw another thread in this "West and Southwest" forum that had a happy announcement from Boulder CO, where COadmin had successfully got Boulder to reverse their ban on caching. You might want to read it, and contact him for any information he could share.

Good luck - if I can help in any way, let me know.

...Sam