SF Bay Area geocachers

I guess the folks in the Palm Springs Area need an easy way to pad their numbers.  I think that some will do things correctly, but how many won't?  They are giving "TOURS" [aka "guided cache hunts] to some of the caches!!!!!!  I'm sorry, but this event doesn't seem to be in the right spirit of geocaching.  :ph34r:

Just my two geocoins worth.

You are so far off base with your "pad their numbers" comment it's not funny. They have a wonderful, friendly group of avid geocachers down there. I didn't go down there for the numbers, I went down there for the fun, which is exacly what we had. This event was exactly in the right spirit of geocaching. I'm hoping we can have some events like this up here where it's a big group effort of friendly cachers.

The caches that we did while we was down there were all nicely done, fun, and challenging. These were well thought out caches placed by a great group of cachers. It's great to see many new hiders just in the last four months since we were there last. We had a blast. I could care less about the event smiley. What the event cache does is allow the event to be 'published' so that others (like Joani and I) know that something cool is going on. If this had been attempted as a local forum thread, we probably wouldn't have even known about it and would have missed out on a great event. So would have a bunch of other cachers from out of the area (and even out of state). I'm glad we were able to be a part of it.

One other thing regarding smilies. Sure, I meet up with groups of cacher friends without the need of smilies, but where do you think I formed these friendships? Most of them were formed at caching events. Without the events, I wouldn't have met a lot of really cool people. Events are open to all. Forum 'get togethers' tend to have a an 'exclusive club' feel and someone always gets unintentionally left out. Event cachers are a good thing.

--Marky

Hey, you know how the pictures change on the main geocaching home page everytime you refresh it? I spotted Kealia and daughter on the small right sided one, taken at WoW's A 100 Million Year Walk Earthcache! Hope the link continues to work. You refresh the home page often enough , it will eventually show up.

Bet these guys never dreamed this shot would ever make the image banner rotation!!

Hey, how cool is that! They're famous!

I've been refreshing the front page for weeks trying to get us to show up :ph34r:

looks like the button could use a little more design work.

and what's all this talk throughout the caching world about "Tupperware" I have never seen any of that as a container, it's far too expensive.

Hey, I used to get it for free! It's called... Being a consultant. :ph34r:

(Wanna buy some Tupperware?)

Nahh, nobody around here has worked on that cache at all! :(

Yeah, a few people in the Bay Area have been umm, pursuing that cache. :o

Do folks discuss this somewhere or only in small groups in a private random locations where notes are passed through secret clandestine methods (caches?) :(

Joe

Nahh, nobody around here has worked on that cache at all!    :(

Yeah, a few people in the Bay Area have been umm, pursuing that cache.    :o

Do folks discuss this somewhere or only in small groups in a private random locations where notes are passed through secret clandestine methods (caches?) :(

Joe

I'm afraid that information is classified. Do you have the proper security clearance?

Nahh, nobody around here has worked on that cache at all!    :(

Yeah, a few people in the Bay Area have been umm, pursuing that cache.    :o

Joe

You might have noticed that in general, people don't discuss about solutions to puzzle caches in forums - kinda spoils the challenge/reward thing. People sometimes ask another geocacher for hints by e-mail or work as a group.

In the meantime, you may want to work on other, more rewarding puzzle caches. I'm nowhere as good as the puzzle masters in the area, but for the ones I've solved, they have been very educational and on many occasions, outrageously funny. :(

Has anyone worked on the Ultimate Binary Cache? Have any ideas? I have a couple, but no luck yet.

A few of us have solved the puzzle on the cache page. Didn't do any good, though, since the owner just sent us each another puzzle.

As others have said, try some other puzzles in the area. They will be much more enjoyable. I highly recommend anything by The Rat.

If you're a local T-Mobile Sidekick user like me and you spent part of the day cursing your infernal device because you couldn't (and still can't) call up any cache pages, or anything else on the web, be sure to call T-Mobile support and you should get $5 or 50 minutes credit like I did.

If you're a local T-Mobile Sidekick user like me and you spent part of the day cursing your infernal device because you couldn't (and still can't) call up any cache pages, or anything else on the web, be sure to call T-Mobile support and you should get $5 or 50 minutes credit like I did.

It's not worth my time to waste sitting on the phone to t-mobile for just $5.

--Marky

RE: Greater Palm Springs Geocache Event

OK, FullOn, I owe you and your group an apology. I guess that I was overwhelmed by the 140 caches going live in one place at one time. And I will take your word for it that they weren’t lampposts. It sounds like a lot of thought went into the cache placements.

The cache page says, “Guided cache hunts for the Pushawalla Power Path, etc.” That sounded like a tour to me. If this were to help newbie’s learn how to find caches, it would have been good to actually state that was what the purpose was. That wasn’t clear to me and possibly not to others.

I don’t doubt that many cachers put a lot of time and effort in the event. At the events I have been to, I’ve found that to be the case here as well. And we certainly all appreciate their efforts. That seems to be true of cachers everywhere. I have really enjoyed all the local events I have been able to attend. The best part was getting to talk to all the cachers that I never meet on the trail, not the caches that became available. From reading some of the event comments, it sounds like everyone had a really good time at a great event.

If I am ever in Southern California when you have an event, I will try and make it. If you are ever up here, hunt me up and I’ll buy you a drink. Next time I’ll keep my mouth shut and see what happens first. Again my apologies.

Just wanted to invite the SF Bay Area cachers to come over the mountains and have some fun in the Nevada desert a the 2nd annual GBES Navigational Cache Rally - check it out - http://tinyurl.com/44pcg

Also - this Saturday, March 12 there is a "rally school" event being held in Sacremento to help everyone understand some of the items in the rally such as off-set waypoints etc. GCN02Y "Rally Skool" at http://tinyurl.com/4ns9b

and later that evening a geocaching Laua in the Garden dinner - http://tinyurl.com/6x6kj

Come have some fun !

Yeah, I heard that in the forums over at hiptop.com. I didn't know you had a Sidekick also.

Mine finally came up this morning but the internet still doesn't seem to be functional. So we're coming up on almost 2 days.

Yeah, I heard that in the forums over at hiptop.com. I didn't know you had a Sidekick also.

Mine finally came up this morning but the internet still doesn't seem to be functional. So we're coming up on almost 2 days.

As I suspected, the "G" was just teasing me. Still no internet or email. I'm on the phone with T-Mobile right now getting my credit.

Every indication is that this is a Danger problem, not T-Mobile, but at least they're doing right by customers by giving that credit. Only one credit per month, though. So if this continues, or happens next week, no luck...

The other night at a birthday party Ricky went to, I checked out his friend's mom's Treo. It looked pretty nice, but she said that the web is really slow (no big shock there) and she can't see pictures.

If this keeps happening, I might look at some other alternative, though...

The other night at a birthday party Ricky went to, I checked out his friend's mom's Treo. It looked pretty nice, but she said that the web is really slow (no big shock there) and she can't see pictures.

The web seems fast enough on my Treo 650 and I can load any web page including pictures. Actually every Treo has had this capability.

I've become pretty addicted to my Sidekick 2. You just can't rely on it since you don't know if you'll always be able to get a signal, or if there will be some problem with t-mobile or danger, or if the gc.com site will be down, etc. etc. But most of the time it's great to have a live browser connection to gc.com to get the latest cache info and to make your logs. Boulter's geocaching quick search page is now set as my browser homepage on the Sidekick. :P

The web connection is still down for mine too I noticed. I had the "G tease" earlier as well.

Thanks for the thoughts on direction on puzzle caches...

There seems to be some fun and freindly competition to FTF new caches. I can't seem to figure out a good way to keep track of the new caches within a reasonable distance of my home and office. What do you folks do?

Thanks for the thoughts on direction on puzzle caches...

There seems to be some fun and freindly competition to FTF new caches. I can't seem to figure out a good way to keep track of the new caches within a reasonable distance of my home and office. What do you folks do?

One way is to set up a pocket query with the attribute 'Have not been found' set. Set up one for your home coords and one for your work coords. Don't check off any of the days, these aren't meant to be used as pocket queries but as PS search URLS. Go to your pocket query list page and click preview for one of the FTF pocket queries. Bookmark that page. This will allow you to pull up the nearest FTF possibilities any time you wish, without having to request and wait for a PQ to arrive (and you can check this list as many times you want in a day, where if you request a PQ, you can only do it once a day).

--Marky

Parking in that lot requires a permit. You can get one by calling (650) 691-1200. When the Magellan cache was hidden near there, Kablooey called and they gave him the combo over the phone. I believe they would prefer to mail you a permit with the combo though. You might be able to pick one up from their office as well, though I wouldn’t know for sure about that.

Jeez, why throw them a bone when none of them (well, except ProTech -- finally!) bothered to make it out to QS on Sunday? :P

Heh, I slept through most of that because I was wiped after my morning/afternoon hike. I also feel awkward about racing to grab cool things out of a cache I own, it seems slightly wrong. Now if it had stayed there a day or two.... (yeah, right!)

Parking in that lot requires a permit. You can get one by calling (650) 691-1200. When the Magellan cache was hidden near there, Kablooey called and they gave him the combo over the phone. I believe they would prefer to mail you a permit with the combo though. You might be able to pick one up from their office as well, though I wouldn’t know for sure about that.

Thanks, they gave me the permit via fax (combo was the same as it was when I used this nearly a year ago...)

Rumor has it there could be ND&BB coins in a couple of caches placed today.

I think everyone is chasing after "Jazz" tokens today, hmmmm... maybe I should take advantage of the distraction and look for yours....

I passed up a $40 REI gift card in a cache out there... might be worth a trip for someone.

(kind of like a treasure hunt out there)

Jeez, why throw them a bone when none of them (well, except ProTech -- finally!) bothered to make it out to QS on Sunday? :P

I wasn't even here on Sunday so I have an excuse.

--Marky

I think everyone is chasing after "Jazz" tokens today, hmmmm... maybe I should take advantage of the distraction and look for yours....

I passed up a $40 REI gift card in a cache out there... might be worth a trip for someone.

I'm hoping I can swing a Jazz token by hosting the sig site for him. :P

--Marky

The other night at a birthday party Ricky went to, I checked out his friend's mom's Treo.  It looked pretty nice, but she said that the web is really slow (no big shock there) and she can't see pictures.

The web seems fast enough on my Treo 650 and I can load any web page including pictures. Actually every Treo has had this capability.

I've got a nice little Audiovox SMT5600 SmartPhone. It's no Sidekick, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It browses the web just fine, including pictures. I still have an old Palm with CacheMate, but if I'm in an area with signal I often just use the phone to look at the cache page.

The other night at a birthday party Ricky went to, I checked out his friend's mom's Treo.  It looked pretty nice, but she said that the web is really slow (no big shock there) and she can't see pictures.

I've got a nice little Audiovox SMT5600 SmartPhone. It's no Sidekick, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. It browses the web just fine, including pictures. I still have an old Palm with CacheMate, but if I'm in an area with signal I often just use the phone to look at the cache page.

I've been using a Treo 270. It's slow enough on web surfing that I only use it when I have extra time or really need a life line but don't want to use it quite yet. However, I can make it down load quicker by removing the images and/or color. If T-Mobile ever comes up with the 650, I'll be there! Better battery, more memory, quicker processor, bluetooth... good stuff and IMHO no other smart phone compares.

In fact, at Christmas time I tried a Sidekick II - which really does a decent job at web surfing. It does almost nothing else (save phone calls and email like my Treo 270). Way too limiting for me so given the choice I gave it back and stayed with my old Treo.

CVC plug: Motown's Greatest Hits Gathering is Saturday 3/19. We'd love to share the fun with Bay Area Cachers.

Hey, congrats to TPS. Just be sure to put that cover sheet on your TPS reports. :rolleyes:

I spy two new ND caches probably with those coins, but I won't be the one to get them. Nor the FTF on M&J's new one just down the street...

There's a new M&J cache?

Congratulations to The Petoskey Stones on find #600 !!

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seam like his 2nd 300 happened in a much shorter time than his first 300. I wonder why?  :rolleyes:

I'll be looking forward to TPS's 1000, and your 500 pretty soon as well as more quality hides. :lol:

Are you guys still doing the lunch break mad dash for caches?

Congrats!

I'm hoping I can swing a Jazz token by hosting the sig site for him. :rolleyes:

--Marky

I might have a spare Jazz token :lol:

Fun night caches in my old stomping grounds! Yea. I have to get there soon! A Sig item to boot!!!

What Am i doing this weekend? I think I need to take the kids to see Grandma in Monterey :rolleyes:

Don't you people ever sleep?

Since you seem to be night owls already, let me make a recommendation to you:

Do these two caches:

Down the Rabbit Hole

Illuminati

We had a GREAT time and would definitely recommend them.

Hey, congrats to TPS. Just be sure to put that cover sheet on your TPS reports.

They probably didn't get the memo. /Lefty

========================================

Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working….I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work - the rest is caching. – Peter Gibbons

There's a new M&J cache?

Yes, but my search attempt on the way to work this morning was a Wash, as the gate was open and a truck with workers was in there so I decided it might not be the best time for a search there... Also fanned on the cache that migrated from Davis as there were curious neighbors watching me. Ill try both again on the way home.