SF Bay Area geocachers

Clay Class update:

I have a location, Saratoga Federated Church in Saratoga (directly across the street from my In Memoriam cache.) I can have a large meeting room pretty much as often as I need it at no charge (right price for me).

I am awaiting an opinion from our esteemed approvers on whether this could be an event (gotta get those smilies eh?), then I will post the particulars. I will do more than one to fit demand.

First dates I have in mind are Fri 3/11, or Sat 3/12, in the evening. Class will be about 2 hours. Seating will be for 15, but there is room for an unlimited number of spectators.

I know that ND can't come, but if you did it on the 11th I might be able to come, depending on the time. :rolleyes:

My mom (who also does Fimo stuff) has one of those pasta rollers; should I bring it?

Clay Class update:

I have a location, Saratoga Federated Church in Saratoga (directly across the street from my In Memoriam cache.) I can have a large meeting room pretty much as often as I need it at no charge (right price for me).

I am awaiting an opinion from our esteemed approvers on whether this could be an event (gotta get those smilies eh?), then I will post the particulars. I will do more than one to fit demand.

First dates I have in mind are Fri 3/11, or Sat 3/12, in the evening. Class will be about 2 hours. Seating will be for 15, but there is room for an unlimited number of spectators.

I know that ND can't come, but if you did it on the 11th I might be able to come, depending on the time. :rolleyes:

My mom (who also does Fimo stuff) has one of those pasta rollers; should I bring it?

Heh, the event is already a done deal, on the evening of the 12th.

--Marky

Marky,

I have a couple of TB's that want to go to England and Scotland. :rolleyes:    I'll watch for the post on the location.  Thanks.

Yes, please hang on to them.

Time Update!

I forgot that we are having a going away party for Anthony from 1pm to 5pm on the 13th, so now I am thinking 7PM and dinner sounds better. I found out that Olaf is staying in Milpitas, so I thought maybe we could have it at the the Pizza Place where JoeSpaz has his Highway 84 Travelbug Hotel cache.

--Marky

Sounds good to me too! Is this going to be official or unofficial?

I wanted to make it official, but by the time we agreed to a time to meet, we were already just under the two week minimum for posting an event. I'm not sure if that is a hard and fast rule, but since it's actually written down, I have the feeling that it is 'harder' that it used to be. Plus, I need to ask how much room there is at the Pizza place.

-Marky

Marky,

Why do you make it sound like the only way to get people together locally is to give them a smiley for it? It sounds like a bunch of pretty sorry friendships if people need to be bribed (with a smiley) to meet for pizza.

It seems that the majority of the locals check this thread often. I should think that announcements here would be pretty effective.

Just my personal thoughts. :rolleyes:

Marky,

Why do you make it sound like the only way to get people together locally is to give them a smiley for it? It sounds like a bunch of pretty sorry friendships if people need to be bribed (with a smiley) to meet for pizza.

It seems that the majority of the locals check this thread often. I should think that announcements here would be pretty effective.

Just my personal thoughts. :huh:

Since this was less of a "friends getting together" and more of a "lets get some travel bugs over to Europe" thing, it would have been neat for it to be more official, but I think it will be fine just being unofficial. Then only the cool people show up anyway. So, you'll be there, right? :lol:

--Marky

I know that ND can't come, but if you did it on the 11th I might be able to come, depending on the time.  :huh:

Heh, the event is already a done deal, on the evening of the 12th.

--Marky

Ya, I know, but I didn't know when I posted this reply cause it wasn't mentioned here that there was already an event scheduled. :lol: I looked after the fact!

Oh well, ya'all have fun! :lol:

Time Update!

I forgot that we are having a going away party for Anthony from 1pm to 5pm on the 13th, so now I am thinking 7PM and dinner sounds better.  I found out that Olaf is staying in Milpitas, so I thought maybe we could have it at the the Pizza Place where JoeSpaz has his Highway 84 Travelbug Hotel cache.

--Marky

Shoot, I just realized that that's a Sunday (school night) so it's not going to work for us that late.

However, if I discover any bugs trying to get across the pond I'll get them to someone who's going (cachers local to me include WoW, Nazgul, Semi-Hex, and you, Marky).

Again -- have fun. :huh:

Can someone in the South Bay please retrieve this TB. I don't know why all you hard core hikers have shunned Team Nazgul's cache (GCM8J3). We figured that there would have been a rash of finders Xmas week, goes to thow you. Thank you.

-----------------

"Hi,

I don't suppose there is any chance that you could rescue my travel bug from Grant Overlook. The bug is in a race and the cache you dropped it in hasn't been visited sine you went there in December.

Alex. (Slytherin)

User's Profile: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=11...344981baf"

I'm hoping to get out there this weekend to grab those two(plus rudolph) and throw a couple more caches out further along that trail. I'll pick it up.

What do folks here see as the "Can't Miss" winter parks/caches for our last months of this glorious winter?

/Lefty

I would do the Ed Levin to Mission Peak(Stanford Ave) hike before too long. I can't imagine doing that hike(14.5 miles on my pedometer) in the summer but it is amazing right now. Lots of wildflowers are already starting to bloom and we saw some Turkeys and a Coyote up in the clouds. A memorable hike and highly recommended.

Grant Ranch is a great place as well that gets pretty hot in the summer.

Sammydee, SteveL and I attended the SCC Parks Commission meeting last night. We were there just to listen and learn the process, but we met some nice people and we were able to promote caching a bit.

After the meeting we met a couple of the commissioners, and one of them was interested in trying this out (he already had a GPS).

Several of the "Friends of Santa Teresa Park" group were there also, and they were very helpful in making introductions and putting us in a positive light.

A couple of things that I picked up from the meeting:

They get a lot of recommendations from consultants, and the consultants tend to listen to those who will give them time and make their job easier. (even the local water skiers had made themselves heard). We need to have people attend their inputs sessions on the various master-plan projects in the works. I will get dates and post them when opportunities arise.

Special Interest groups were generally mentioned in conjunction with the size of their membership (numbers count). How do we know our numbers? Think Jeremy could query # of users in the area and give it to us? Maybe we need to create a BADGES membership for this purpose.

Anytime mtn. bikers came up, while it was obvious they were not favored, it was also clear that the commission was inclined to keep trails available for them. I think that was the result of effective lobbying (and the fair-mindedness of our commissioners). We need to learn from them when it comes to our EBRP dealings. (and learn to avoid getting a reputation like them in this area).

There are "zoning" maps of each of the parks, giving the acceptable use areas as well as the sensitive habitats. We need to see these and make sure our caching is in compliance. It would serve us well to show we are aware of these too.

It was interesting to hear of progress in Canada Del Oro and other future expansion, the new trail thru Foothill Park in PA, the development of Coyote Creek Trail (they are trying to restore a salmon run there!).

Sammydee picked up a good tip on a spot for a cache too...

I'll post future dates when I find them.

Yes, it was a good meeting. Big thanks to Steve and WoW for coming out - making a mini-"show of force" was a really good thing.

As a result of that meeting, and the other groundwork that's been laid over the past few months, I think we're pretty well "hooked in" to the SCC Parks organization, and will hear about anything they do that impacts us in the future.

I also believe that they are not planning any formal "policy" on caching in the short term. However, folks at a high level in the department DO have it on their "to do" list.

SO...we don't seem to have the same sort of crisis atmosphere with SCC Parks that seems to be going on in the East Bay. But we DO need to increase our visibility to make sure that we're seen as a legitimate, LARGE group of users of the parks whose needs and interests should be heard.

As WoW said, everyone seems to get a hearing when policies are being determined. (There was a significant discussion last night about what the "local Frisbee Golf" organization wanted to happen in one park.) Obviously we need to be heard at least as much as "Frisbee Golf" - and we have as much to lose as the mountain bikers in Nisene Marks if we aren't.

I'll continue to monitor the FoSTP meetings monthly. We need to keep up our coverage of the SCC Parks meetings. If we can get a volunteer posse of 2 or 3 folks who can attend these, perhaps on a rotating basis, we'll be in good shape.

Finally, we need to increase our visibility as "good citizens" - starting with the upcoming "Trail Day" event on April 23rd in Quicksilver. Let's use that as our "coming out party" to let the Parks dept know just how many of us there are and just how supportive of the parks we are! (Look for an Event posting soon.)

...Sam

Thanks so much to you guys that went to the meeting last night. That was hopefully a great start to what will hopefully be a positive relationship.

... we met some nice people and we were able to promote caching a bit.

After the meeting we met a couple of the commissioners, and one of them was interested in trying this out (he already had a GPS).

I hope we can jump on this. A hands-on demonstration is probably the most effective way to show what our sport is really about.

Special Interest groups were generally mentioned in conjunction with the size of their membership (numbers count). How do we know our numbers? Think Jeremy could query # of users in the area and give it to us?
I will look into this.

There are "zoning" maps of each of the parks, giving the acceptable use areas as well as the sensitive habitats. We need to see these and make sure our caching is in compliance. It would serve us well to show we are aware of these too.
This is something Krypton and I would very much like to see. Do you know who we could contact to get our hands on these maps? If they are in electronic format, all the better.

Thanks again for going to the meeting!

This is something Krypton and I would very much like to see. Do you know who we could contact to get our hands on these maps?

Each park has a "master plan" that describes what the development of the park should look like over a 20 year span. I believe that these 'zoning' maps are part of the master plan for each park. Some of the newer ones are online, but most are not.

I know that Santa Teresa is due to have its master plan update start soon. I'll see if I can get a copy of the master plan document for that park; if I get it I will scan any interesting material.

(The Quicksilver trail day event is submitted.)

... we met some nice people and we were able to promote caching a bit.

I hope we can jump on this. A hands-on demonstration is probably the most effective way to show what our sport is really about.

It sounded like he was actually interested. I was careful to give him a business card; hopefully he'll touch base if he gives it a try. I'll attend the meeting next month, and will be sure to say "hi" after the meeting to nag him - er, get an update. :ph34r:

Congrats to Fizzy and dandm for the FTF on Drier Than You Think, which in my book is worth about two or three dozen FTFs on generic urban caches.

I was kinda hoping that one would remain unfound for longer, but I'm still surprised it remained unfound for as long as it did.

I bet you guys will sleep well tonight. <_<

Congrats to Fizzy and dandm for the FTF on Drier Than You Think, which in my book is worth about two or three dozen FTFs on generic urban caches.

I was kinda hoping that one would remain unfound for longer, but I'm still surprised it remained unfound for as long as it did.

I bet you guys will sleep well tonight. :unsure:

4700ft elevation difference in 5.75 miles, both directions, from what I was able to determine. Yikes!

Edit: Apparently, Fizzy placed a cache near there, but will only submit it if someone else is foolish enough to hide another up there. So basically, please don't hide any if you go up there or you will have to go back again.

<_<

--Marky

Edited by Marky

I have collected some bugs that want to go to various parts of Europe, Tasmania, and possibly the South Pacific.

Is there going to be a bag for TravelingViking (headed for Europe) in the QS TB cache? Or should I give those European-bound bugs to Marky or someone else going on the 13th?

I'll try to get the bugs I have into the Quicksilver TB cache tomorrow or Sunday (pending weather conditions).

I'm excited to help the bugs along on their journeys and the bugs' owners have expressed their appreciation as well!

Thanks! We had a great time. That was one tough hike, but it was beautiful up there. We did not see a single human being the whole trip.

I kind of like the idea of hiking all the way up there for a single cache. Has a certain style to it!

Looks like Marky and Joani will hit 4000 easily at that Mother of all Power Cache trails, masquerading as an event in Palm Springs.

Congrats in advance to you all!

I seriously doubt that. We just don't do numbers like that. I would be surprised if we get 50 over the weekend. A lot of time will be spent on the road. The main reason we decided to go is to visit with our friends down there. :laughing:

--Marky

Big milestones coming up:

Motorbug will be hitting "Terrain Challenge #4" for find #2000 in the morning.

Looks like Marky and Joani will hit 4000 easily at that Mother of all Power Cache trails, masquerading as an event in Palm Springs.

It's a small milestone compared to the rest of you, but I'm trying to get to #700 this weekend. :laughing:

I seriously doubt that. We just don't do numbers like that. I would be surprised if we get 50 over the weekend. A lot of time will be spent on the road. The main reason we decided to go is to visit with our friends down there. :rolleyes:

--Marky

From the look of it, they placed caches under every lamp post and rock in the region. You might find that many by accident.... :laughing::rolleyes:

The Palm Springs power trails we did were Bear, a sidewalk rec path; Pushwalla, a 2 hour loop hike along a desert ridgeline; Morrow, a hike over a desert pass; and we did a 4WD night run. We did some suburbans that day, and then the next day for half a day in the rain. I'm looking forward to the 60 mile Bradshaw 4WD run past the naval gunnery range.

Our hosts Darryl and Jamie were wonderful.

Edited by bthomas
Is there going to be a bag for TravelingViking (headed for Europe) in the QS TB cache? Or should I give those European-bound bugs to Marky or someone else going on the 13th?

I'll try to get the bugs I have into the Quicksilver TB cache tomorrow or Sunday (pending weather conditions).

I hadn't planned on it (there are two bags in there already for Snuva) but you are welcome to add another if you like, just be sure to label it well for the people that haven't been following the forums and/or cache log notes.

Another option might be to just put the TB in a cache close to Marky since he's definitely going and I'm not sure I can make it yet.

Congrats in advance on #700.

Is there going to be a bag for TravelingViking (headed for Europe) in the QS TB cache?  Or should I give those European-bound bugs to Marky or someone else going on the 13th?

I hadn't planned on it (there are two bags in there already for Snuva) but you are welcome to add another if you like, just be sure to label it well for the people that haven't been following the forums and/or cache log notes.

Another option might be to just put the TB in a cache close to Marky since he's definitely going and I'm not sure I can make it yet.

Congrats in advance on #700.

Tell ya what, unless I hear otherwise, I'll just collect bugs myself and get them to Marky somehow. He lives very close to me.

Just wanted to check. ;)

And thanks for the congrats. ;)

If you want to really make yourself lightheaded, try to reconcile the idea of 140 new caches being released for an event with Hemlock's comment about why people shouldn't need an event icon to get together.  ;)  ;)  ;)

140 caches placed just for an event??? That's nuts! :huh:

....no, that's San Diego... N.U.T.S. is in Chico I think :(

If you want to really make yourself lightheaded, try to reconcile the idea of 140 new caches being released for an event with Hemlock's comment about why people shouldn't need an event icon to get together.  :P  ;)  ;)

140 caches placed just for an event??? That's nuts! :huh:

....no, that's San Diego... N.U.T.S. is in Chico I think :(

ha ha ha!

By the way, I think we have your flashlight. ;)

I guess the folks in the Palm Springs Area need an easy way to pad their numbers. I think that some will do things correctly, but how many won't? They are giving "TOURS" [aka "guided cache hunts] to some of the caches!!!!!! I'm sorry, but this event doesn't seem to be in the right spirit of geocaching. ;)

Just my two geocoins worth.

I guess the folks in the Palm Springs Area need an easy way to pad their numbers. I think that some will do things correctly, but how many won't? They are giving "TOURS" [aka "guided cache hunts] to some of the caches!!!!!! I'm sorry, but this event doesn't seem to be in the right spirit of geocaching. :mad:

True dat. But then again, some people think parking lots are great places for caches too. :blink:

I guess the folks in the Palm Springs Area need an easy way to pad their numbers.  I think that some will do things correctly, but how many won't?  They are giving "TOURS" [aka "guided cache hunts] to some of the caches!!!!!!  I'm sorry, but this event doesn't seem to be in the right spirit of geocaching.  :mad:

True dat. But then again, some people think parking lots are great places for caches too. :blink:

Hey, the boys and I found a good parking lot cache yesterday -- thanks, Bykenut!

Hey, you know how the pictures change on the main geocaching home page everytime you refresh it? I spotted Kealia and daughter on the small right sided one, taken at WoW's A 100 Million Year Walk Earthcache! Hope the link continues to work. You refresh the home page often enough , it will eventually show up.

Bet these guys never dreamed this shot would ever make the image banner rotation!!

Edited by GeoBrowns
I guess the folks in the Palm Springs Area need an easy way to pad their numbers.  I think that some will do things correctly, but how many won't?  They are giving "TOURS" [aka "guided cache hunts] to some of the caches!!!!!!  I'm sorry, but this event doesn't seem to be in the right spirit of geocaching.  :D

"Tours"? Really?

Do you know that for a fact, or are you just assuming that's what happened? Because I don't remember seeing you at the event last night. Though I did see Marky & Joni as well as Kablooey, Woof! (great to meet all of you finally) along with several other cachers from up north.

I also meet a dozen noobie cachers that came to the event completely unprepared and not knowing the first thing about geocaching. Fortunately there were many VERY giving geocachers there that went out of their way to explain geocaching, assist them in GPS usage, shared waypoints with them and even helped them get around safely in the desert all the while asking nothing in return and logging NO FINDS FOR THE DAY. I saw a fantastic event with well over 150 geocachers and their families, put on by some of the most giving people I've met that reached into their own pockets for raffle prizes, food, etc... and didn't ask for a dime from anyone. I also saw what a great bunch of people we have here in Southern California, and saw many examples of why I wouldn't want to be associated with any other group of cachers out there. If that doesn't qualify as a geocaching event, then I don't know what would.

Also for your information... The 140 caches that were hidden were a collaboration by many people throughout the Palm Springs area. These were not 140 caches thrown under light poles so people could rack up their numbers. These were caches that were placed over a 2 month time period and timed for release with the event. It's important not to make comments about something that you know nothing about. It makes you look foolish as well as mean spirited.

Why don't you try to stick to what actually happened rather than assuming things next time. Or better yet, attend one of our events here in Southern California. You might actually learn something and meet some fantastic people along the way.

-- edited for clarity.

Edited by FullOn
Hey, who's leaving the buttons that say things like "I use multi-billion dollar military satellites to find tupperware hiden in the woods..."?

You forgot the Jeopardy question...

"So what do YOU do?"

I've seen such a button, gave me a good laugh. :ph34r: I, too, am curious - who is making them? Great sig item.

A bit out of the region, but FYi were up in Tahoe and Carson City this weekend and did a bit of caching. There's still too much snow around Tahoe for much caching, but near Carson City are some super spots.

We had a blast at GC7F22, Deadmans Creek Trail Cache, near Washoe Lake. Temps in the 50s. There were hundreds of butterflies at the bottom of the trail and lots of snow at the top. Half of the 1 mile trip was on dry land; the other half was over about a foot of snow on the trail. Quite a contrast!